Rubin - You've Been Away (original/reissue?)

Hey everybody, I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first time posting.

There's an incredible wealth of knowledge on this board that I'm humbled to be a small part of. So, let me preface my question with a 'thank you' to everyone who helps make this forum possible.

Okay, I found a copy of Rubin's "You've been away" on Kapp last weekend in Detroit. It's the white 'radio station copy' version which made me immediately assume that it it's a bootleg, even though I found it in in a shop that VERY rarely sells bootlegs or reissues. What I'm wondering is if someone can tell me how to differentiate the original from the boot?

thank you kindly all,

-a

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Awake 502

Hey everybody, I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first time posting.

There's an incredible wealth of knowledge on this board that I'm humbled to be a small part of. So, let me preface my question with a 'thank you' to everyone who helps make this forum possible. 

Okay, I found a copy of Rubin's "You've been away" on Kapp last weekend in Detroit. It's the white 'radio station copy' version which made me immediately assume that it it's a bootleg, even though I found it in in a shop that VERY rarely sells bootlegs or reissues. What I'm wondering is if someone can tell me how to differentiate the original from the boot?

thank you kindly all,

-a

link

What colour is the large "A" on the "You've been away" side ? Should be red on the original...

Social source share

What colour is the large "A" on the "You've been away" side ? Should be red on the original...

link

surprisingly enough, it's red. The WOL also seems to make a case for it's originality.

Thanks, Awake!! :huh:

IMG_0961.jpg

Edited by Soul Sleuth
Social source share

Guest Trevski

The WOL also seems to make a case for it's originality

link

Well done, nice find! Don't ever be fooled by WOL as a sign of originality tho'! People have been doing that to 'disguise' boots (and more besides) since the beginning! ranting_1.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Oh no definately a bootleg, I'll give you a tenna for it :wub:

link

I suppose you would be the authority on boots. What's your mailing address? I'll send it wrapped in a nappy post-haste. shhh.gif

Social source share

Well done, nice find! Don't ever be fooled by WOL as a sign of originality tho'! People have been doing that to 'disguise' boots (and more besides) since the beginning! shhh.gif

link

Thanks Trevski, I'll admit it was a bit of a surprise. And yes, I suppose it was a bit naive of me to presume people would be above spurious label markings.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Soulsleuth

I see you are now selling the same item on ebay, using the knowledge you gleaned from us here!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=4072141879

I for one do not like this kind of behavior. Turn up on SS asking a seemingly 'innocent' question, then use the info to profit by!

People have done this in the past, and recieved what can only be desribed as a good verbal kicking!

This is not the 'done thing' Soulsleuth!

First kick from me! laugh.gif

PS we are the "kind people" at "soul source", not "soul service", altho' we certainly provided you with a service, didn't we?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Soulsleuth

I see you are now selling the same item on ebay, using the knowledge you gleaned from us here!

I for one do not like this kind of behavior. Turn up on SS asking a seemingly 'innocent' question, then use the info to profit by!

People have done this in the past, and recieved what can only be desribed as a good verbal kicking!

First kick from me! :wicked:

PS we are the "kind people" at "soul source", not "soul service", altho' we certainly provided you with a service, didn't we?

link

Good job he fell for that bogus info about the red 'A' making it an original eh Trevski? :wicked:

Godz

Social source share

Soulsleuth

First kick from me! :wicked:

link

You're right, Trevski, and I'm not above admitting that I deserve whatever abuse the board dishes out. I apologize for the parasitic nature of my first post, I agree that I should have made my intentions clear from the start.

Fact is, I'm at a point in my life right now, having just graduated from uni, where I'm jobless (thank you, GWB) and in considerable debt. Presently, my sole source of income is the sale of my record collection, which quite frankly sucks. I like my records. I like them a lot (more, some would say, than is probably healthy).

In any case, last week I found a record that, if real, I couldn't afford to keep. A year ago the Rubin 45 would have been nestled snugly in my 45 box, and you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me, because honestly the original/boot question wouldn't have mattered to me enough to pursue. As it stands, I'm poor and I had to find out. I'm sorry for being so dodgy about it all, it was a lame thing to do.

-the jerk :head positioned on chopping block:

Social source share

Soulsleuth

I now see you are capable of owning up to your underhand,

dastardly,vile,knowledge sucking attrocities. :wicked:

at least you held up your paw and came clean

in the end ,unlike some who would try and bullshit there way out of it. :wicked:

I admire a person who has the balls to admit their wrong doings.

The gasher :lol:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Consider yourself soundly chastised and, for your honest appology, forgiven.

You have done a lot more than some that come on here after info. Respect :wicked:

Now for your pennance: Go find me a nice, cheap copy of Margaret Little! :wicked:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

• 4 years later...
Guest milo761847

surprisingly enough, it's red. The WOL also seems to make a case for it's originality.

Thanks, Awake!! :thumbup:

IMG_0961.jpg

I bought this cop recently. E-bay from america John Teffteller but the red A is slightly offset. Could you please inform of any deadwax stamp.

Regards,

Greg

Social source share

I bought this cop recently. E-bay from america John Teffteller but the red A is slightly offset. Could you please inform of any deadwax stamp.

Regards,

Greg

Indeed Greg, a new wave of boots with red A, not offset correctly AND red colour on bright pinkish hint red as opposed to 'cherry red'. Caution: check dead wax. Well caught mate!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Indeed Greg, a new wave of boots with red A, not offset correctly AND red colour on bright pinkish hint red as opposed to 'cherry red'. Caution: check dead wax. Well caught mate!

thumbsup.gif

The offer of a tenner earlier in the thread may be now reduced to $ dollars rather than £GBP. :D

The Devil's in the Deadwax Detail !

Regards..

BTW Just noticed the listing has been removed from the Bay. Now either somebody on here made an underhand off bay offer or somebody did find a counterfeit copy. You make up your mind as to which one of these is most likely g.gif

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Help required

Just picked up a copy from E bay with matrix numbers K-10992-3 and K-10993-3. Looking at the previous posts I am not convinced its an original. There's another identical one on e bay at the moment.

The seller confirms it's an original but can someone confirm this is a pressing and I'll go about getting my money back!!

Cheers

post-10920-12646859360265_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Help required

Just picked up a copy from E bay with matrix numbers K-10992-3 and K-10993-3. Looking at the previous posts I am not convinced its an original. There's another identical one on e bay at the moment.

The seller confirms it's an original but can someone confirm this is a pressing and I'll go about getting my money back!!

Cheers

The seller says this is a "new original copY" WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN! I think it would be as well to steer clear of this seller, the record looks too clean to me and if he has multiple copies...........

When I get my copy back at the weekend I will compare and contrast and see if I can shed some light for you.

Sean

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Help required

Cheers

That's boot IMHO.

The "-3" at the end of each matrix should be "-1" and "-2" respectively.

Social source share

Thanks for the replies, think you're right.

Even asked the seller to confirm it was original, said they only sell originals not re-issues!

Here goes!

Social source share

• 5 years later...

New original ??? Does that mean a photocopied label of the original on a boot ?

Its an original i have the same record possibly from the same batch. The record was probably manufactured in a different part of the states. John Manship and John Tefteller both confirm it is a legitimate record.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!