Soulsville - Leeds - This Friday

Guest ShaneH

I will be at Soulsville this Friday in Leeds town centre thanks to the offer of a lift with Pikeys Dog shhh.gif

Anyone else going to be there?

Its a great little cellar bar venue with plenty of nice tunes to be heard! Usual DJ's Jamie & Rich plus Pat Brady and more - Check out the events guide below for details.

Shane

• Replies 50
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Shane's NOT on wages by the way :wicked:

Just thought I'd post a link to the events section:

>>Link To Events Guide<<

It'd be nice to see a few of you down on Friday, first one of the next year and some quality guests.

If anyone needs any info - just holler!

Cheers,

Jamie whistling.gif

(I'll post up DJ times a bit later)

I will be at Soulsville this Friday in Leeds town centre thanks to the offer of a lift with Pikeys Dog  whistling.gif

Its a great little cellar bar venue with plenty of nice tunes to be heard! Usual DJ's Jamie & Rich plus Pat Brady and more - Check out the events guide below for details.

Shane

link

I'll be there. Drinking this time :wicked:

Shane's NOT on wages by the way  :shhh:

Just thought I'd post a link to the events section:

>>Link To Events Guide<<

It'd be nice to see a few of you down on Friday, first one of the next year and some quality guests.

If anyone needs any info - just holler!

Cheers,

Jamie :wicked:

(I'll post up DJ times a bit later)

link

Jamie, your mate Rich promised me a tenner and free bar if i did a decent plug! whistling.gif

Shane

Jamie, your mate Rich promised me a tenner and free bar if i did a decent plug!  whistling.gif

Shane

link

You've got to actually turn up to win, Shane :shhh::wicked:

I think Rich is leaving early as he needs to get some shut-eye as he's going to Welshland to watch the egg-chasing on Saturday.

Make sure you catch him early!!!

Jamie

I do hope those nice soulville chaps are going to give sat nite at sheridans a big plug,am going to try and get down there with some flyers.

link

With pleasure, my good man.

Nice to meet you on Saturday, although didn't get chance to have a natter.

Hope you can make it down, even if you don't, I'll make sure Soultown gets a plug. whistling.gif

Cheers,

Jamie

Guest Biggie G

With pleasure, my good man.

Nice to meet you on Saturday, although didn't get chance to have a natter.

Hope you can make it down, even if you don't, I'll make sure Soultown gets a plug.  whistling.gif

Cheers,

Jamie

link

Really sorry I can't be there, I have to drop Jan off at some car park in Scunny at about midnight, so that she can fly off to Hungary (though beleive me I am tempted to drive down after I drop her off :wicked: . But will definately see you at the next one if not before.

Cheers

Gareth

I will be at Soulsville this Friday in Leeds town centre thanks to the offer of a lift with Pikeys Dog  whistling.gif

Shane

link

I'm not, but looks great - I DJ'ed at Belfast Soul Club a couple of times last year and Phil has a brilliant collection which definitely deserves to be heard out more :wicked: Always enjoyed Eddie Engel's sets when I've seen him as well.

Rachel

I'm not, but looks great - I DJ'ed at Belfast Soul Club a couple of times last year and Phil has a brilliant collection which definitely deserves to be heard out more  whistling.gif Always enjoyed Eddie Engel's sets when I've seen him as well.

Rachel

link

Cheers Rach,

Hope you can make it down sometime.

We've even fitted a Stannah Chairlift for the older crowd (It's in a cellar bar) :shhh:

J :wicked:

OK, Times for the DJ's, and Me.

8:00 - 9:00 Rich

9:00 - 9:30 Jamie

9:30 - 10:00 Pat Brady

10:00 - 10:30 John Parker

10:30 - 11:30 Eddie Engel

11:30 - 12:30 Phil Shields

12:30 - 1:00 John Parker

1:00 - 1:30 Pat Brady

1:30 - 2:00 Jamie

Cheers,

Jamie

OK, Times for the DJ's, and Me.

8:00 - 9:00  Rich

9:00 - 9:30  Jamie

9:30 - 10:00  Pat Brady

10:00 - 10:30  John Parker

10:30 - 11:30  Eddie Engel

11:30 - 12:30  Phil Shields

12:30 - 1:00  John Parker

1:00 - 1:30  Pat Brady

1:30 - 2:00  Jamie

Cheers,

Jamie

link

Can't wait. All excited whistling.gif

Cheers Rach,

Hope you can make it down sometime.

We've even fitted a Stannah Chairlift for the older crowd (It's in a cellar bar) :shhh:

laugh.gif

link

Will definitely try to make it sometime :wicked: Have been to a mod night in Baby Jupiter last year, great venue.

Just giving a shout for "Soulsville", for me the music policy is right up my street,i am getting a little weary of predominately 60's events , i prefer a mix of genres and tempos, Soulsville delivers on all these fronts plus the fellows (Jamie and Rich) are quality company and enjoy a beer and above all have fun.

Only sorry that i wil not be attending, decidied that i need to spend more time at home, so get on down to a brilliant tight venue and have a glass of "Baltika" with that court jester and all round good egg Pete Smith (Lagerlout).

Brett

ME AND EMMA THINKING ABOUT COMING UP THAT WAY!

YES ITS TRUE, HONEST, REMEMBER ME JAMIE, IM THE SANE ONE - NATURALLY!  :D

link

Yes, I do remember you Karen, and a pleasure it was to meet you both.

But as for 'Sane' :lol: Who are you trying to kid!!!! :D:D

It'd be great if you could make it, but if you come, make sure you have the map the right way round :wicked:wink.gif

Hopefully see you both Friday yes.gif

Just a quickie.

If you guys are remotely into the Soul Funk and Disco sound of Prelude, Philly, Salsoul, Westend etc...

Sat 5th Feb

TAXI

@ BRB

Call Lane

Leeds

9pm 2am

£3

Thanks

Jean Carne, D Train, Inner Life, Sharon Redd, Eugene Record, Teddy P etc

Yes, I do remember you Karen, and a pleasure it was to meet you both.

But as for 'Sane'  :lol:   Who are you trying to kid!!!! :D   biggrin.gif

It'd be great if you could make it, but if you come, make sure you have the map the right way round  :wicked:   :D

Hopefully see you both Friday  yes.gif

Jamie  :wicked:

link

thats how rumours start when you say things like pleasure!!!

I kid you not!

But the map looked so much prettier that way round!! you know all them lovely lines and things!!

Just a quickie.

If you guys are remotely into the Soul Funk and Disco sound of Prelude, Philly, Salsoul, Westend etc...

Sat 5th Feb

TAXI

@ BRB

Call Lane

Leeds

9pm 2am

£3

Thanks

Jean Carne, D Train, Inner Life, Sharon Redd, Eugene Record, Teddy P etc

link

Hi Dave,

I don't mind a bit of that myself, quite partial infact :wicked:

If you can make it down Friday, make sure you come and say hello.

Cheers,

Hi Dave,

I don't mind a bit of that myself, quite partial infact  :wicked:

If you can make it down Friday, make sure you come and say hello.

Cheers,

link

Trying to sort it out now, but need some cover at work.

Dave

You've got to actually turn up to win, Shane  :lol:   :wicked:

I think Rich is leaving early as he needs to get some shut-eye as he's going to Welshland to watch the egg-chasing on Saturday.

Make sure you catch him early!!!

Jamie

link

Afraid I am having to leave early (10ish!) as I'm on the 7am train to Cardiff to watch us slay the cross of St George!!! Consequently I'll do my spot 8-9, so get there early for those hidden gems!! A few new bits to spin, so make sure you're there early :wicked:

Shane - shame you missed New Century - we discovered that Baltika has actually crossed the Pennines to the Ducie!!! See you tomorrow...

Rich

Guest in town Mikey

Afraid I am having to leave early (10ish!) as I'm on the 7am train to Cardiff to watch us slay the cross of St George!!! Rich

link

rich.

Thats just the reason I am leaving newport on the 16.09 and heading back to INGURLAND. They all talk about rugby here. Its just not right. :wicked:

Afraid I am having to leave early (10ish!) as I'm on the 7am train to Cardiff to watch us slay the cross of St George!!! Consequently I'll do my spot 8-9, so get there early for those hidden gems!! A few new bits to spin, so make sure you're there early :wicked:

Rich, give that cross a sound beating. Coz you won't enjoy getting hammered on the field. :lol::wicked:wanker.gif

I will be at Soulsville this Friday in Leeds town centre thanks to the offer of a lift with Pikeys Dog  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

See everybody later. !!!!!!!!

Used to dance to Steve Mannions tunes at clifton hall about 23 years ago.......what a fantastic guest for the superb Baby Jupiter..... you folks will be spoilt..

Brett...at home with family and ......beer :thumbsup:

Edited by Brett

I will be at Soulsville this Friday in Leeds town centre thanks to the offer of a lift with Pikeys Dog  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

Ize hoping to go, just trying to convince the loverly Paula she's gotta drive so I can get well steemed :yes:

Just comng round after another great night at Soulsville (And drinking in the residents lounge until 4.30am) Wales are in front at the Rugby so I can't watch that in case I see Rich's grinning face in the crowd.

I asked Jamie for a cheap bed and breakfast and the nearest burger van to Baby Jupiter and he booked me in a four star hotel and we ate at one of the beat Italians in Leeds ! Strangely enough, the hotel were very wary when we mentioned Soulsville and asked us if we knew Janine ! :thumbsup: They relaxed slightly when I said she was in Oz. Seriously, thanks for the recs Jamie. :thumbsup:

Anyway, missed Richs spot, but the guests Phil Shields and Eddie Engels played some great music, up to the usual high standard of the venue. Can't wait 'til May !

As usual, excellent company, inc, Little Miss Sunshine, Pikeys Dog, ShaneH, Lagerlout etc. Pikeys did a great short spot from his salesbox and I ended up buying most of his playlist.

Lagerlout did some impressions of Sheffield dancers who we got straight away. :wicked:

If you haven't been yet you don't know what your missing. Seriously recommended.

Well done again boys.

Rich, going to see what the score is now. wink.gif

Steve

BTW, ShaneH said to my wife about lagerlout 'You wouldn't believe that he was a gynacologist would you ? '

When asked Pete said he wasn't but as willing to take look ! :thumbsup:

Guest Johnny One Trout

BTW, ShaneH said to my wife about lagerlout 'You wouldn't believe that he was a gynacologist would you ? '

When asked Pete said he wasn't but as willing to take  look !  laugh.gif

link

:thumbsup::wicked::P Judging by the gags it was an oldies night then tongue.giflaugh.gif

Love that club and those two gay fellers that run it :thumbsup: It's what it all should be all about great music good crack and extreme urine extraction..........

Love that club and those two gay fellers that run it  blush.gif

link

I'll pass your kind words onto Pat & John :yes:

Great to see the Sheffield crowd supporting us again on Friday. Shame a few more locals didn't turn up. Was a bit disapointed with the turnout, as I know how busy it can get. Still had a really good night though, and the quality of the music has not been as high since Janine & Karen double decked.

If any other promoters are reading this, then you've got to have Phil Shields play your venue. He didn't play one duff track in his hour set, and he's a great fella to boot. He came all the way from Northern Ireland which shows how much he loves the music.

I've also got to mention Eddie Engels' set, wow. First time I'd clapped eyes on a Billy Woods original. That multi-coloured Sussex label sent me dizzy as I watched it spin round for 2 minutes. Yes I am a bit sad :P

We managed to get a music extension until 2:30, so that enabled Pikeys Dog to have a half hour run behind the decks. What was a bit different is that he announced his set was available for sale as he'd thrown it together from his sales box!!! Quality!

Pat & John both played cracking sets - how good is John Parkers' collection??? Very, very good.

Nice also to see Tony Hatfield (Holgate, York) & gang making their first visit, and apologies for the mix-up on the door. The listing in 'On The Scene' still has last years details, which also reads free admission. So really sorry about that and hopefully most people knew about the door.

We were also treated to a bit of 'athletic' dancing later on, from those lovely ladies from 'Purple Door'. They popped in for a drink, and yours truly played a bit of funky 70's stuff to get them grinding on the dancefloor!

I'll try and post up some of my plays later. Head's a bit foggy this morning.

Once again thank you to all those that made the effort.

Jamie :thumbup:

Can't remember half the stuff I played, here's what I can remember, and certainly not in any order!!

Early set:

Dynells - Let Me Prove That I Love You - ATCO

Michael Lizzmore - Promise That You'll Wait - Capitol

James Bell & Highlighters - Amazing Love - Ro-Jam

Ann Heywood - Crook His Little Finger - Hondo

Margie Joseph - One More Chance - Volt

Stirling Magee - Oh She Was Pretty - TRC

Little Richard - I Don't Wanna Discuss It - OKeh

Lamont Cranston Band - Takin' A Chance - Waterhouse

Harry Deal & Galaxies - I Still Love You - Eclipse

Danny Moore - Somebody New - Allrite (Cheers Shane)

Lap Dancers Set:

Margie Joseph - I Can't Move No Mountains - Atlantic

The Nicky Newarkers - Woman - Mercury

Edwin Starr - Running Back & Forth - Gordy

Bobby Reed - Time Is Right For Love - Bell

Pioneers - My Good Friend James - Mercury

Z Z & Co - Gettin Ready For The Get Down - Columbus

Flaming Emeralds - Have Some Everybody - FEE

Willi J - Boogie With Your Baby - Kiki

Soul Bros Inc - Pyramid - Golden Eye

Can only remember half the stuff, will try to remember more later. Like anyone gives a sh!t LOL!!!

Guest Trevski

When asked Pete said he wasn't but as willing to take  look !  :P

link

No, but John Parker is. :P (How'd you thing he affords such tunes!) thumbsup.gif

Asked him on Saturday what he had been doing all week- "I was looking up a few old friends!" :P:yes: (not really!) :thumbup:

Great night at Soulsville on Friday night and The Holgate on Saturday- Have to agree about Phil Shields and Eddie Engels spots-BRILL

Thought I'd put up my Soulsville play list

Little Nicky Soul I Wanted to tell you Shee

Mighty Chicago Rumblers Michigans Burning C/UP

Moments You Said Deep

Roy Roberts Got to Have Your Love Ninandy

Phil Loman I Feel Like Love Unissued

The Jokers Soul Sound Sko-Field

The Chesterfields You walked Away Phillips

Fred and The Turbins Bernadine Cenco

Little Nicky Soul You Said Shee

Bill Bush I'm Waiting Ronn

Ray and the Blue Satins She Doesnt Love You ARV

The Phantom Janitor Loves Where Its At C/UP

Kenny Smith One More Day Flo- Roe

Bad Wearher Inc I Never Never Knew Bad Weather

Soulettes Bring Your Fine Self Home Scope

Cody Black It's Our Time To Fall In Love GIG

Timmy Carr Workin Kee

Marisa Gatty Loves What You Want Poo Pan

Clydie King I Got To Break Away C/up

The Strands Breeze From The Trees Tarx

Gary Dean You Can Say Young

and last but not least in respect

Ray Pollard The Drifter

Can only remember half the stuff, will try to remember more later. Like anyone gives a sh!t LOL!!!

link

Course we do, always nice to see what's getting played (especially when you've not been out to hear anything yourself thumbsup.gif ).. sounds like a good night, be nice to see Phil's playlist as well. :thumbup:

Rachel

i enjoyed your set John at Soulsville.  :thumbup:

Shane

link

Got to echo that Shane, the quality played on Friday was at times frightening.

You have got one hell of a collection Mr Parker. And thanks for playing that Timmy Carr - first time I've heard it played out.

We were damn well spoilt on Friday thumbsup.gif

Just comng round after another great night at Soulsville (And drinking in the residents lounge until 4.30am)  Wales are in front at the Rugby so I can't watch that in case I see Rich's grinning face in the crowd.

I asked Jamie for a cheap bed and breakfast and the nearest burger van to Baby Jupiter and he booked me in a four star hotel and we ate at one of the beat Italians  in Leeds !  Strangely enough, the hotel were very wary when we mentioned Soulsville and asked us if we knew Janine !  :wicked: They relaxed slightly when I said she was in Oz. Seriously, thanks for the recs Jamie.  wicked.gif

Anyway, missed Richs spot, but the guests Phil Shields and Eddie Engels played some great music, up to the usual high standard of the venue. Can't wait 'til May !

As usual, excellent company, inc, Little Miss Sunshine, Pikeys Dog, ShaneH, Lagerlout etc. Pikeys did a great short spot from his salesbox and I ended up buying most of his playlist.

Lagerlout did some impressions of Sheffield dancers who we got straight away.  ranting_1.gif

If you haven't been yet you don't know what your missing. Seriously recommended.

Well done again boys.

Rich, going to see what the score is now.  ranting_1.gif

Steve

link

I think you'll find we did it Steve!!!! All that talk on this thread about England beating us (yet again) proved incorrect (I've cleaned up on the bets!!!) - what a day/night I had in Cardiff!!!! Tremendous!

As Jamie's already said, big thanks for everyone who came down and to Pat and John and our special guests for the evening Eddie and Phil - especially the latter for coming all the way from northern ireland - top man and what a collection! Unfortunately, due to having to get up at the crack of dawn on the saturday morn to travel to Cardiff, I had to leave approx 11ish, but I'm reliably informed it was more quality after I left. Was quite strange being sober in there for once!!!

Anyhow, quick blast of my playlist:

Jo Ann Garrett - Little Brown Letter (Duo)

Jimmie Ellis - Happy To Be (Century City)

Rose St John - And If I Had My Way (UA)

Ray & Dave - Wrong Wrong Wrong (Mica)

Margie Joseph - Ridin' High (Atlantic)

Monique - If You Love Me (Maurci)

Tears - What You're Doing To Me (Smash)

Johnny Bartel - If This Isn't Love (Solid State)

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love (Bell)

Renni Perri - I Aim To Please (Soulville)

George Tindley - Aint Gonna Worry About You (Doo Wop)

Ruby winters - Better (Diamond)

Clara Wood - You're After My Guy (Imperial)

Sharon Scott - I'd Like To Know (RCA)

George Hughley - That's Why I Cry (Buddah)

Garland Green - Aint That Good Enough (Revue)

Guitar Ray - You're Gonna Wreck My Life (Shagg)

Ivorys - Please Stay (Despenza)

Arcades - There' Got To Be A Loser (Triad)

Joe Douglas - Crazy Things (Playhouse)

Big Dons Rebellion - It Was True (Ethon)

Melvin Moore - All Of A Sudden (Sky Hero)

The Innersection - I'm In Debt To You (Group 5)

As Jamie's touched on, numbers were a bit down on the norm, which was a tad disappointing. For those of you who haven't tried it then what are you waiting for?! I think you can see by the playlists that this is a fairly progressive venue and the quality of music shines through. With Pat Brady and John Parker joining Jamie and I as residents, it can only go from strength to strength. Add to this guests of real quality each month and you'll begin to get the picture.

It's only a small below street level cellar bar, but you ask anybody who's been and they will fill you in on the vibe of the place and above all the friendliness and quality of music. It's run by real soul enthusiasts for soulies, plus we have a bloody good laugh in the process!

See you in March!!! ranting_1.gif

Rich

I think you'll find we did it Steve!!!! All that talk on this thread about England beating us (yet again) proved incorrect (I've cleaned up on the bets!!!) - what a day/night I had in Cardiff!!!! Tremendous!

As Jamie's already said, big thanks for everyone who came down and to Pat and John and our special guests for the evening Eddie and Phil - especially the latter for coming all the way from northern ireland - top man and what a collection! Unfortunately, due to having to get up at the crack of dawn on the saturday morn to travel to Cardiff, I had to leave approx 11ish, but I'm reliably informed it was more quality after I left. Was quite strange being sober in there for once!!!

Anyhow, quick blast of my playlist:

Jo Ann Garrett - Little Brown Letter (Duo)

Jimmie Ellis - Happy To Be (Century City)

Rose St John - And If I Had My Way (UA)

Ray & Dave - Wrong Wrong Wrong (Mica)

Margie Joseph - Ridin' High (Atlantic)

Monique - If You Love Me (Maurci)

Tears - What You're Doing To Me (Smash)

Johnny Bartel - If This Isn't Love (Solid State)

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love (Bell)

Renni Perri - I Aim To Please (Soulville)

George Tindley - Aint Gonna Worry About You (Doo Wop)

Ruby winters - Better (Diamond)

Clara Wood - You're After My Guy (Imperial)

Sharon Scott - I'd Like To Know (RCA)

George Hughley - That's Why I Cry (Buddah)

Garland Green - Aint That Good Enough (Revue)

Guitar Ray - You're Gonna Wreck My Life (Shagg)

Ivorys - Please Stay (Despenza)

Arcades - There' Got To Be A Loser (Triad)

Joe Douglas - Crazy Things (Playhouse)

Big Dons Rebellion - It Was True (Ethon)

Melvin Moore - All Of A Sudden (Sky Hero)

The Innersection - I'm In Debt To You (Group 5)

As Jamie's touched on, numbers were a bit down on the norm, which was a tad disappointing. For those of you who haven't tried it then what are you waiting for?! I think you can see by the playlists that this is a fairly progressive venue and the quality of music shines through. With Pat Brady and John Parker joining Jamie and I as residents, it can only go from strength to strength. Add to this guests of real quality each month and you'll begin to get the picture. 

It's only a small below street level cellar bar, but you ask anybody who's been and they will fill you in on the vibe of the place and above all the friendliness and quality of music. It's run by real soul enthusiasts for soulies, plus we have a bloody good laugh in the process!

See you in March!!!  wicked.gif

Rich

link

Tail firmly between legs Rich. (Mind you, England were crap :wicked: )

Tail firmly between legs Rich. (Mind you, England were crap  wicked.gif )

link

Not too upset, we've got a certain Football match coming up soon to redress Saturdays blip. :wicked: