Most active in this topic

Basically, a few years ago, Motown in the States released a series of karaoke

CD's featuring over a hundred of their best known and best loved

tracks. These used the original backing tracks, not some awful

session remakes. The original discs were available via outlets such

as Walmart but were soon withdrawn and deleted. They were then reissued as a 6

disc, 48 track set which is available via Amazon. The rest of the

tracks remain unavailable.

You can of course PM me for more details.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Basically, a few years ago, Motown in the States released a series of karaoke

CD's featuring over a hundred of their best known and best loved

tracks. These used the original backing tracks, not some awful

session remakes. The original discs were available via outlets such

as Walmart but were soon withdrawn and deleted. They were then reissued as a 6

disc, 48 track set which is available via Amazon. The rest of the

tracks remain unavailable.

You can of course PM me for more details.

I have these 6 CD disks - still checking every now and then to see if the other 10 discs with 80 tracks on are to be released - I'm not holding my breath !

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

Social source share

Hi Pete,

There is a CD just out called 'In The Snake Pit'...it's previously unreleased Motown instrumentals!

Saw it on ebay yesterday, UK seller,

kosher release.

Thats a very dodgy bootleg, most of which are versions recorded on a pc using a karaoke program. These are the true backing tracks issued by Motown. Bit of a difference!

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Thats a very dodgy bootleg, most of which are versions recorded on a pc using a karaoke program. These are the true backing tracks issued by Motown. Bit of a difference!

The Snake Pit CD has a great informative booklet with it, it's has un-issued instrumentals, and the CD are factory sealed. I believe the CD was done in Detroit, as a couple of the tracks had come out on 45 a few years before on a Detroit label, which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Some of the unissued tracks have not appeared on any of the official Funk Brothers CD's.

I bought the Cd in quantity about 4 years back, of which I still have a small quantity, it's has been a steady seller for me.

Social source share

The Snake Pit CD has a great informative booklet with it, it's has un-issued instrumentals, and the CD are factory sealed. I believe the CD was done in Detroit, as a couple of the tracks had come out on 45 a few years before on a Detroit label, which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Some of the unissued tracks have not appeared on any of the official Funk Brothers CD's.

I bought the Cd in quantity about 4 years back, of which I still have a small quantity, it's has been a steady seller for me.

Oh well...I might buy it then.... :rolleyes: ?????????

Social source share

It does have a great booklet but the music is mainly fake and mainly awful. Don't matter if it was made in detroit, most of the music was created in the UK and I am 99% certain that the gladys knight instrumental was actually made by me and circulated on a cd which found its way onto this cd. And it was also the subject of much investigation by Motown in the UK

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
It does have a great booklet but the music is mainly fake and mainly awful. Don't matter if it was made in detroit, most of the music was created in the UK and I am 99% certain that the gladys knight instrumental was actually made by me and circulated on a cd which found its way onto this cd. And it was also the subject of much investigation by Motown in the UK
Pete, I know about the Motown investigation, volume two was shelved because of it.
Social source share

I have the 6 CD set which I paid £15 for from a US e-bay site. It's brilliant. I hadn't realised there were more until Richard played them on Cellarful of Soul. I'm keeping my eye out for them but I'm not optimistic.

I also have a Marginal compilation of Choker Campbell / Earl Van Dyke versions called Detroit Instumentals which is crackin'.

Social source share

I have the 6 CD set which I paid £15 for from a US e-bay site. It's brilliant. I hadn't realised there were more until Richard played them on Cellarful of Soul. I'm keeping my eye out for them but I'm not optimistic.

I also have a Marginal compilation of Choker Campbell / Earl Van Dyke versions called Detroit Instumentals which is crackin'.

This lot is an 18 disc set.

Like I said, if anyone needs them they can always email me

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Interesting thread!

It's worth noting that the disc titled "ABC" actually features "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" instead of "Just My Imagination" which is listed on the sleeve and box.

I have the 6-CD box set and each disc contains two versions of each song - the "multiplex" versions and the stereo instrumental versions (many of these also have backing vocals).

The "multiplex" versions are 2-track stereo with the instrumental track on the left channel and the vocal track on the right channel. From this you can make new instrumental versions and / or acappella versions.

I'm not a karaoke fan, I got these so I could play around with them on multi-track and make some "alternative mixes" of some of my favourites. I've only had time to do a few quick mixes so far but I'll make some more later. The first one I played around with was "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

By the way, the "Snake Pit" bootleg CD album is poor quality so I don't think their instrumental tracks were made using "multiplex" versions or even an original multi-track tape. Some of the tracks have pops and clicks, unbalanced channels, distortion etc.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

The acapella version of War. Even if you don't like the record, and I'm not a big fan of it, you have to listen and come to the conclusion that this must be the angriest vocal ever put on record. The recording quality is so perfect that you can actually hear him inhaling and preparing himself just before singing each line. Unbelievable vocals.

Edwin_Starr___War_acapella_.mp3

Social source share

The acapella version of War. Even if you don't like the record, and I'm not a big fan of it, you have to listen and come to the conclusion that this must be the angriest vocal ever put on record. The recording quality is so perfect that you can actually hear him inhaling and preparing himself just before singing each line. Unbelievable vocals.

Edwin_Starr___War_acapella_.mp3

That's incredible! As good as the David Ruffin acapella on Ain't to Proud to Beg which, for me, was the best on the 6 box set.

Social source share

Pete,thank you for this, makes you wonder how anyone likes any other music?

from the other side of my favourite Motown record , don´t sppose you have an acapella version of "where did you go" do you?

Steve, hoping :wicked:

Fraid not. The Tops ones were Ask the lonely, Baby I need your loving, Bernadette, I can't help myself, Reach out I'll be there, Shake me wake me, Same old song, Standing in the shadows, Walk away Renee and Still water.

Social source share

I actually thought the Snakepit CD was pretty good , not perfect , but I know that some of the tracks were taken from actual motown backing tracks [ though obviously not mastered to the high standard that Motown could have done ] .If ,instead of just releasing these amazing backing tracks to the Karaoke scene, Motown could have created a stunning Funk Brothers CD , and there wouldn't be any need for a Snakepit CD.But no , years later we are still waiting ,and I doubt whether it'll ever happen now ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

mmm, still like it, but whereas i thought the 'Nowhere To Run' added something i think this detracts.

Just love the Isley's sublime vocals i suppose.

Don't think anything could beat the vocal version, one of my all time favourites and every time I hear it it takes me back to the 60's, my Dad taking me down the Wolves matches, they always used to play this before the match...thats where I first heard loads of Motown records 1967-69

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Don't think anything could beat the vocal version, one of my all time favourites and every time I hear it it takes me back to the 60's, my Dad taking me down the Wolves matches, they always used to play this before the match...thats where I first heard loads of Motown records 1967-69

Yeh i remember hearing loads of tunes like that,suppose the music stood out cause it was the only place we heard music that loud at that age.

The Albion is where our dad took us mainly, remember seeing all the greats come & play there like Charlton,Best & Law, Alan Ball , Geoff Hurst, Jimmy Greaves & of course from the Wolves 'The Doog' & later on, John Richards !

Worcester City actualy take the field to Booker T's 'Time Is Tight', wonder if there are any other teams with soul type run out tunes ?

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Didn't they used to play 'Liquidator' at Wolves a lot too, Pete?

Social source share

Didn't they used to play 'Liquidator' at Wolves a lot too, Pete?

Yeah they did, but that was when the team ran out, unfortunately it was banned a few years ago and it hasn't been heard since. This is the mentality of the west midlands police - they say it could incite violence :D just on the chorus where it goes (clap-clap-clap-clap-THE WOLVES) the fns were singing "f*ck off west brom - The Wolves" so they banned it...except it's still allowed at west brom.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Yeash they did, but that was when the team ran out, unfortunately it was banned a few years ago and it hasn't been heard since. This is the mentality of the west midlands police - they say it could incite violence :shades: just on the chorus where it goes (clap-clap-clap-clap-THE WOLVES) the fns were singing "f*ck off west brom - The Wolves" so they banned it...except it's still allowed at west brom.

Was gonna' say i thought it was a Baggies tune, mind you it was played at most grounds during the 70's as it went well with the chant MUFC or MCFC e.t.c as opposed to "f*ck off West Brom".

There were some wags that used the other chant, but in those days it would have been "Do go away please West Brom" :D

Better get back on topic though else the tune will be 'Wipe Out' !

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

GHOST IN MY HOUSE HAS BEEN OUT FOR A FEW YEARS ANDISNT ISSUED AND I CAN CONFIRM ONLY 10 WERE PRESSED AS I HAVE ONE !!

IVE ALLSO GOT AN EXTENDED MIX OF REAL HUMMDINGER JJ BARNES

NO YOU CARNT HAVE A SOUND CLIP LOL

MOTOWN HAVENT A CLUE THATS WHY THERES SO MANY BOOTLEG SINGLES YET THEY HAVE DONE A COUPLE OF 45S RECENTLY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!