Gill Scott Heron

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have an original Gill Scott Heron on Strata East (The Bottle) pressed in 1975. My girlfriend just purchased a copy on e-bay with a different label layout to mine but dated 1974 and looks genuine to me. So is mine a second pressing? :P

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The copy shown in Kev Roberts top 500 is the same as the one you sent to me and also my copy. The bootleg is the same as this copy also but without the silver writing and a poor reproduction label. My girlfriends is like this but with less information on. It has no star on the plug side and the paper label is a creamy colour. Also it has no non skid grooves. Must admit this is the first one ive seen.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have an original Gill Scott Heron on Strata East (The Bottle) pressed in 1975. My girlfriend just purchased a copy on e-bay with a different label layout to mine but dated 1974 and looks genuine to me. So is mine a second pressing? :D

Mine is a 1974, never seen a 1975 on the Strata-east label before, could be a 2nd pressing though :shades:

Social source share

I've had a few copies of this but the one I've kept has a 'drunken intro' just before the uno, dos, tres,

post-2721-1183198002_thumb.jpg

Heres the Belgian pic sleeve

Doesn"t feature the "drunken" intro just goes straight into the "uno dos...." but it doesn't fade out like the original US 45 the music stops dead like the LP version. So a fuller version I guess

Cheers Paul

Social source share

• 2 years later...

I know that this topic has been talked about before but iam trying to confirm if this is an original, second issue, repress or boot. Seems legit to me although I find it strange just to have Gil Scott-Heron and not Gil Scott- Heron and Brian Jackson in the title. Label, picture sleeve and vinyl looks cosher. Thanks thumbsup.gif

P6090125.jpg

Edited by Mick Reed
Social source share

Guest Dante

It's also worth pointing out that the U.S. actually issued a 7" Strata East promo on this when it was first issued as well. Must be pretty rare......

Ian D :D

Haven't seen it, but the 12" promo usually goes for $100+ on eBay, doesn't it?

Social source share

hi , i bought this a few months ago , i have never seen a white promo before , label number is different than the issue , but the same - SP399 A 96772 - in the run out , there is a stamped circle on the bside also on the sleeve , i have gone over this with a pencil so my scanner can pick it up

it just about says no ?????, underneath ( sub - radio 15 -7 - 75 )

hope this helps on the french release info , ps it does say brian jackson at the bottom of b side label , but not on a side ? thanks Eddy

post-7746-12763420071625_thumb.jpg

post-7746-12763420702975_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Always confused me this one, i'll quote Tim Browns Essential Northern Soul Price guide......................GIL SCOTT HERON ' THE BOTTLE'

'The true original is actually only on an album track. The French single was copied on a boot, this boot has no striated edge around the label and is totally smooth, otherwise it looks quite convincing.'

I have the original album Gil Scott- Heron / Brian Wilson ' Winter In America' Strata East Records SES-19742.

Social source share

Always confused me this one, i'll quote Tim Browns Essential Northern Soul Price guide......................GIL SCOTT HERON ' THE BOTTLE'

'The true original is actually only on an album track. The French single was copied on a boot, this boot has no striated edge around the label and is totally smooth, otherwise it looks quite convincing.'

I have the original album Gil Scott- Heron / Brian Wilson ' Winter In America' Strata East Records SES-19742.

The plot thickens.yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Darks

So this must be this one than ian.yes.gif

https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item19bcea6d37

I've had this for years and always thought it might be dodgy as opposed to my other copy which in hindsight probably is the dodgy one! If you get my drift.

Any way this US demo doesn't have the spoken counted intro. Which suggests that it was released for discos at the time the album was released.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Why amazed, who looks back, the whole forum is a constant re-visit, the subject matters are like any pub conversation, it comes around again.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!