Leo Price - Hey now baby

Mike

Heard the one on "up down" label out and about, and read also that its currently getting big plays after being uncovered as leo price after getting called lee crandle expereince.

Listening to the 1961 Hull 739 version and memory of it not good enough to be 100%, but says its an earlier diff version ??

That right ????

Throw away useless triv - seems track orig by Prof Longhair has been done a few times by others, any other "worthy" covers

Leo Price being lloyd Price brother

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

could be classed as irelevant but....:)

just remembered someone telling me something

the cover up name

lee crandall is a famous name familar to zoological types , seems was once New York Zoological Garden's curator of mammals and other stuff

...now guess who told me that and responsible for cover name

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I have chatted with Leo Price recently, he has very little recollection of his recording career and seemed very uninterested in talking about the past. How well known is his deep soul balad "do I stand a chance with you" known on the soul scene if at all (sung by priscila price)?

Social source share

This has got to be one of the best recent newies currently being played. I heard it yesterday for the first time via Dave Flynn, who played it during a spot. My friend Mel, who is a r'n'b/doo-wop collector and was with me at the time, took to it straight away! Imagine his shock when I just rang him to let him know that Leo is the brother of Lloyd Price!!

Can't make it to the 100 Club, but look forward to hearing about this new hottie which Ady will unleash for the first time!!

Best,

Gene

Social source share

Sounds great out espically that break in it.

Mick H, Carl Willingham amongst others also playing it

Still waiting to confirm that the hull version is the same one

On the "up and down" release its credited to be written by l price, whiile other versions have it down as different

When get arse in gear will throw up clip of it

Havent heard of the priscilla page track, but not really up to speed with ought deep.

Knew that Priscilla worked with mr price , but cause her stuff is a fair bit later wasn't sure if or what relationship was if any , daughter, wife??

edit> not logged in - mike

Social source share

From what I could make out from Leo and Priscilla, Priscilla was his young bride and she cut it in her teens when they were in NYC I guess around 1966-67 judging by the sound - they had both forgotten about the record! It's the flipside to a absolute ass spanker - Priscilla Price "Rockerfella Jones" (named after leo price - his knickname was and still is rocky) - there's a soundfile of rockerfella jones on my homepage https://www.soulgeneration.co.uk/home.htm

you should definately post a clip of hey now baby if you get a moment, leo's stuff is mainly gospel so quite interested to know what it sounds like.

Social source share

The Hull version doesn't have the balls that the Up Down version has. The brass not as prominent and that fog horn brass whatever it is isn't there.

I can post the Hull version in sounds if possible Mike or I can send you the RA and you can do it. Can send an edited version of the Up Down one, wouldn't want to send it unedited as I promised I wouldn't.

Social source share

The Hull version doesn't have the balls that the Up Down version has. The brass not as prominent and that fog horn brass whatever it is isn't there.

I can post the Hull version in sounds if possible Mike or I can send you the RA and you can do it. Can send an edited version of the Up Down one, wouldn't want to send it unedited as I promised I wouldn't.

Social source share

Either way Chalkie, what evers easier, both be welcome

Thought there was some difference

couple of q's

Good one at 100 last nite?

Tickets for Lifeline..whats current score, know some been asking

cheers mike

mike

Social source share

Hull version posted Mike, will do a edited version of the up down one later and post.

100 Club very good, attendences have been very good lately with many stopping till end. Some top tunes from Butch Mick, Ady Ni9ge Mayfield and Dave Rimmer.

Tune of the nite has to be Butchs Gerri Taylor cover up "It's Beautiful" f****** brilliant would be big in any era this one. Magicians was good too and can't wait to hear the femme version.

Who ever said there was no new sounds out there! This is what the scene is and alweays has been about for me, hearing quality new sounds. No point in travelling all the miles I do to hear the same old same every week.

As for Lifeline tickets are available, anyone interested shout up and we'll sort summat. I will have some this week, Mick H and Andy do have them with them wherever they go.

Rob won't be djing in Feb due to work and Cliff Steele has become a resident.

Social source share

Right on Chalkmeister,

the 100 Cub was fantastic, too many brill records to name but Gerri Taylor, was awesome.

Magicians was as good as you would expect, Ady's Luther Ingram is the absolute bollocks, & Nidge Mayfield did a blinder,

............you want real deal rare soul as it should be, this is it, the 100 Club reigns supreme,

Russ Vickers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!