Angela Davis & The Mighty Chevelles

Guest Trevski

Most tunes can be bought cheap if they are unknown or un-hyped no matter how good they are, and the only time this Angela Davis 45 was cheap was when pretty much no one knew about it. Matt Weingarden (Mr. Finewine) have played it twice on his radio show, the first time on the 9th of October 1998 and then again on the 25th of March 2005. The first time I heard it was on the March 2005 date. I loved it and went almost crazy during the following weeks while trying to find a copy because they just weren't around. Then, as if by magic, Puresoul Records from Germany listed a copy on their site on the 15th of April 2005 which I bought for €30. That copy had been found a couple of days prior to that in a store called Downtown Records in Berlin. After that two copies have sold on eBay, both in December 2006 from different sellers, selling for $372 and $481, one copy going to the UK and one to Japan.

Check them out here:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260065212495

and here:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230068827702

And that was when this still was a pretty unknown record to most people (I'm ofcourse not claiming that it was unknown prior to 1998 or 2005, and some collectors most likely have copies tucked away in their collections, BUT it wasn't exactly widely talked about or well known). The only exposure it had gotten up until Arthur Fenn started DJing with it and it appearing on Manship's auction, was via Finewine's show and from my swap CDs, DJing, MP3-mixes and raving about it on forums in general - and let's be honest, that's not much exposure and obviously went past most people.

I'm not saying that it's the rarest record ever, but it sure isn't easy to find either.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 69
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm not saying that it's the rarest record ever, but it sure isn't easy to find either.

I think it is probably quite rare, but just how rare has yet to be determined. Just because you simply can not find any copies anywhere does not necessarily mean it is very rare (although it obviously suggests it is not very common :boxing: ), it might often mean that it is sort of rare but since very few know it and want it there is very little demand for it and not much point for dealers to stock up on it, if there is any stock out there that is. Certain supposedly cheap records are almost impossible to find, I know I have been serching for some titles for years, but still no records. Remember how certain records that are now pretty common used to be practically impossible to get? Even if you waved money around and offered to pay a lot more than the going rate there simply were no copies for sale, for years, and then something happened and they can now be bought literally every second week or so. Whatever the case and whatever you think of the tune I think we might be observing something of a fad or trend emerging, and not just this one record either. I'm glad it is a pretty good fad. :lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

While we are at it, anyone having the other finishing prices of today especially "Save The Youth" (seeing Angela Davis I bet this went for 2500 UKP :lol::boxing: ?)

Marc

Mellow Madness on Mega ended at the neat sum of £3214...

Social source share

I think it is probably quite rare, but just how rare has yet to be determined. Just because you simply can not find any copies anywhere does not necessarily mean it is very rare (although it obviously suggests it is not very common :boxing: ), it might often mean that it is sort of rare but since very few know it and want it there is very little demand for it and not much point for dealers to stock up on it, if there is any stock out there that is. Certain supposedly cheap records are almost impossible to find, I know I have been serching for some titles for years, but still no records. Remember how certain records that are now pretty common used to be practically impossible to get? Even if you waved money around and offered to pay a lot more than the going rate there simply were no copies for sale, for years, and then something happened and they can now be bought literally every second week or so. Whatever the case and whatever you think of the tune I think we might be observing something of a fad emerging, and not just this one record either. I'm glad it is a pretty good fad. :lol:

I agree.

Social source share

While we are at it, anyone having the other finishing prices of today especially "Save The Youth" (seeing Angela Davis I bet this went for 2500 UKP :lol::boxing: ?)

Marc

Mellow Madness went for £3214. Quite amusing seeing as the same copy was offered on here for £2500 or nearest offers a month or so back laugh.gif

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Mellow Madness went for £3214. Quite amusing seeing as the same copy was offered on here for £2500 or nearest offers a month or so back :lol:

Makes you really laugh...indeed. Great tune though. Wish I would have bought it when on ebay at buy it now 3000 USD.... But I am sure more copies will be available soon...

Social source share

Most tunes can be bought cheap if they are unknown or .....

That copy in the "Berlin Record Shop" (as it is called nowadays) belonged to Berlin Funk DJ Soulpusher who now resides in Africa. There was (at least) one more copy on ebay. This one ended early without any bids...its up to anyones guess what happened with it. Wouldn`t be too surprised if it ended up in a well known recent auction.. When Arthur told me about this his "find" I also started looking for the record and found only one. But I agree with CH, this tells you nothing about the rareness of said record. I am somehow sure now that it reached so much in the current auction there will be "some" more copies getting advertised...be it on ebay, under the table or where have you.

Marc

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Makes you really laugh...indeed. Great tune though. Wish I would have bought it when on ebay at buy it now 3000 USD.... But I am sure more copies will be available soon...

I would sell my copy for £3000, M-

Thanks

James

jamestrouble@hotmail.com

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

QUOTE(Marc Forrest @ Jul 12 2007, 12:35 PM)

post_snapback.gifMakes you really laugh...indeed. Great tune though. Wish I would have bought it when on ebay at buy it now 3000 USD.... But I am sure more copies will be available soon...

I would sell my copy for £3000, M-

there you go...

...but come on James 6,5 % off ain`t really tempting enough, is it :boxing::lol:

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

QUOTE(Marc Forrest @ Jul 12 2007, 12:35 PM)

post_snapback.gifMakes you really laugh...indeed. Great tune though. Wish I would have bought it when on ebay at buy it now 3000 USD.... But I am sure more copies will be available soon...

there you go...

...but come on James 6,5 % off ain`t really tempting enough, is it :boxing::lol:

"6,5%"?

No, £3g. All in.

Social source share

I didn't exactly start a thread about how fantastic and rare it must be. I simply asked about it after someone had already asked about the mp3 and then others started praising it and talking about Manship's copy. After that I gave up.

Maybe I didn't show as much interest because I wasn't buying records then (had to support you amongst other things :lol: ), but I did show some interest! You could've played it after I started buying records, hmpf. My language is minded. laugh.gif

Helena, Christian - I feel a re-union between you is growing close! :boxing:

Social source share

I wonder how much Veda Brown on Rav would go for now .. :lol:

easily the rarest on the rav label and best by miles...with you on that one simon..noticed mr S g has played it recently too...we all got excellent taste :thumbup:

i have an angela davis if someone wants to make me a nice offer :unsure:

interesting that mello madness didnt got on here ...still a very nice result for whoever sold it :D its value is certainly reduced imo by the cracking reissue and edit by mr dope..pumps it right up..i know prefer it to the original mix....must get my asymmetrical bob sorted out! :lol:

Edited by souljazera
Social source share