Not That Record Again

Guest mobbsy

Guest mobbsy

You are at a soul do and you hear the same record at least 3 times!!!!! heres the solution, the djs jot down what they have played, leave near the decks......simple!

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You are at a soul do and you hear the same record at least 3 times!!!!! heres the solution, the djs jot down what they have played, leave near the decks......simple!

by the time the fourth dj was on you'd be reading through a list of 80 odd records, all misspelt, in illegible handwriting, in the dark, with beer spilt all over the paper, and people coming up and asking you for records that were on the list anyway.

meanwhile, that repetitive clicking sound every two thirds of a second or so is the last record you played slowly having its inner removed by a diamond stylus.

apart from that, a great idea mobbsy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mobbsy

by the time the fourth dj was on you'd be reading through a list of 80 odd records, all misspelt, in illegible handwriting, in the dark, with beer spilt all over the paper, and people coming up and asking you for records that were on the list anyway.

meanwhile, that repetitive clicking sound every two thirds of a second or so is the last record you played slowly having its inner removed by a diamond stylus.

apart from that, a great idea mobbsy :thumbsup:

[

well it was just a thought :thumbsup:

Social source share

even simpler less djs on then there should br no repition

:thumbsup:

Great idea, never understood why we change djs every 18-20 records. give them 2 hour spots. Mick H did a great 2 hour session at Boomerang (Thorne) recently. and promoters would save too.

Blake

Social source share

Great idea, never understood why we change djs every 18-20 records. give them 2 hour spots. Mick H did a great 2 hour session at Boomerang (Thorne) recently. and promoters would save too.

Blake

Mick H hasn't got the problem of many other dj's repeating of his toons though,or vice versa.Can't see a problem myself with changing eager,fresh dj's to do a shorter set.Keeps everyone on their toes.The main dj's of course should do a longer spot.

oh the other thing,,,dj's should try and listen to what's being played before they go on,,,,,,,,,,,and not hotbox(ooops,sorry)

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Less DJs doing longer spots and promoters doing there job properly and making sure the DJs they do get in give a nice variety of tunes to suit the venue and dont book DJs on the same night that play very similar sets.

and less people in your venue that just sit there all night waiting for a tune to be repeated so they have something to talk or moan about :thumbsup::wicked: sorry mobbsy i couldnt help meself :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mick H hasn't got the problem of many other dj's repeating of his toons though,or vice versa.Can't see a problem myself with changing eager,fresh dj's to do a shorter set.Keeps everyone on their toes.The main dj's of course should do a longer spot.

oh the other thing,,,dj's should try and listen to what's being played before they go on,,,,,,,,,,,and not hotbox(ooops,sorry)

Kev, you've hit the nail right on the head IMO mate :thumbsup:

Resident DJ or "name" guests do longer spots, as people are usually aware of what to expect from them and that's what your attendance is built on.

Others do a shorter spot - It's good to have fresh faces and this can help with introducing new sounds to the regular crowd, or in having an "across the board" policy (if that's your thing). But if you divert for too long from an expected style of music, then some will be disappointed.

DJ's listen to what's being played before them? SPOT ON, though some listen and still repeat a handful of your spins :thumbsup: .

Personally, in the very near future I will be forgiving the odd bit played twice as some tunes might be missed during the outdoors smoke break :yes:

As for writing lists thmbdn.gif - have a look at my box, all my sleeves are written up in 1/2" marker pen! I can't read anything smaller :wicked:

Kevin.

"STOLEN HOURS"

RAMSGATE 21st JULY

Social source share

Less DJs doing longer spots and promoters doing there job properly and making sure the DJs they do get in give a nice variety of tunes to suit the venue and dont book DJs on the same night that play very similar sets. Unless they all play PROPER Northern :thumbsup:

and less people in your venue that just sit there all night waiting for a tune to be repeated so they have something to talk or moan about :wicked::yes: sorry mobbsy i couldnt help meself :thumbsup:

Social source share

Proper Northern?

Ive knocked around the northern scene 30 odd years off and on,northern changes and evoles thank god,so what is proper northern?

Kev :sleep3:

Good point !! Could be anything ,these days , people are even digging out crap like The Manchester Playboys again ! ph34r.gif but some are digging out great tracks like Karvin Johnson and the Parliaments

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Good point !! Could be anything ,these days , people are even digging out crap like The Manchester Playboys again :sleep3: and great tracks like Karvin Johnson or the Parliaments
Social source share

Sometimes a boatload of DJs just looks good on the flyers IMO! :lol: 3 is enuff I reckon, 1 resident and 2 guests or tuther way round.

Yes it duz save promoters money AND yes DJs should listen to others - how? Turn up early get a feel for the place/crowd etc NOT just half hour b4 their spot and arf hour afterwards :sleep3: - rant over hehehe!

Have 2 laff tho - in a byegone era at T Wheel there was a record played 6 times one night unsure.gif

Any guesses??? Tell you it was Arthur Conley's Sweet Soul Music - happy daze :lol:

Social source share

I always find one of the hardest bits about djing is sitting around listening to everything that's been played before you go on... ok you may miss one record cause you was at the bar or in the loo but that's it.. Dj's turning up 5 records before there set that's where the problem is... there may have been a time in the dark northern soul vaults where the top names had the so called best records but not any more... any dj should have quality gems in their bag big price or not.. some bigger dj's need to move with the times and work at it like its the first time, and not take it for granted if a promoter has a big name dj on who will be late cause he's playing some where before than wait till they can do the whole evening.. How on earth can they know what's been played gonna be records already played...

I can't remember where it was now I was followed by a big name there first record was the same one as my second to last one... When I told them they replied "oh don't go away I've just got here and I need to know what's been played"...

Yeh right get here earlier... :sleep3:

Social source share

Youve started something now... Youve started something now... youve started something now

Instead of listening to a repeated record, you should get up the bar and buy a round instead! Fev did say were your hands glued into your pockets!!??

Social source share

Mobbsy, I am assuming this has come up as a result of some records being repeated at the Peterborough nighter on Saturday.

This must have been caused by dj`s arriving at different times throughout the night and they would not have a clue as to what has been previously played.

This was obviously not their fault but not sure that a scribbled list system would work either.

Social source share

Good point !! Could be anything ,these days , people are even digging out crap like The Manchester Playboys again :sleep3: and great tracks like Karvin Johnson or the Parliaments

haha Simon you are mentioning that Karvin Johnson in every third post you make - really think it is that good? laugh.gif

Social source share

haha Simon you are mentioning that Karvin Johnson in every third post you make - really think it is that good? laugh.gif

Yeah its a great uptempo dancer Karl . I could of done it justice 20 years ago :lol: .. . However some have said its crap , Mark Houghton and Paul Phillips to name just two :sleep3: .. Who cares those two cant dance at all :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

All the dj's should be there for the start of the night and not turn up just to do there bit simple

Social source share

Guest mobbsy

Mobbsy, I am assuming this has come up as a result of some records being repeated at the Peterborough nighter on Saturday.

This must have been caused by dj`s arriving at different times throughout the night and they would not have a clue as to what has been previously played.

This was obviously not their fault but not sure that a scribbled list system would work either.

not just peterborough it happens at most of the venues

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!