The Orwell 'open Decks' Special

THE ORWELL

Wigan Pier, Wigan

FRIDAY 27th July

The Orwell presents an 'OPEN DECKS' Special!

ALL the music on the night will be played by DJ's & Collectors who have supported The Orwell over the years!

The format of the night will remain the same - You will still get TOP QUALITY tuneage to satisfy the ears AND the feet!!!

The full DJ line up is listed below.................

Cheers

Steve

www.soulmusic.co.uk

Edited by Steve Plumb
  • Replies 66
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

THE ORWELL

Wigan Pier, Wigan

FRIDAY 27th July

The Orwell presents an 'OPEN DECKS' Special!

ALL the music on the night will be played by DJ's & Collectors who have supported The Orwell over the years!

The format of the night will remain the same - You will still get TOP QUALITY tuneage to satisfy the ears AND the feet!!!

If you'd like to play a few tunes from your own personal collection OR a full-on set to represent your own Soul Night, please email theorwell@soulmusic.co.uk as soon as possible!

Cheers

Steve

www.soulmusic.co.uk

The nominations are in............now the hard bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you've ever seen the four of us trying to decide on one guest..........wait til you see us trying to decide on 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will post up further details after our forthcoming summit meeting!!!!!!!

One thing though, from the quality of the names we have had put forward, this will be a great night :yes:

Cheers

Steve

The nominations are in............now the hard bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you've ever seen the four of us trying to decide on one guest..........wait til you see us trying to decide on 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will post up further details after our forthcoming summit meeting!!!!!!!

One thing though, from the quality of the names we have had put forward, this will be a great night :yes:

Cheers

Steve

can I choose? :D

can I choose? :ohmy:

Tell you what mate this is one hard job! Think we might need you to choose for us!

Got so many nominations and we've got to get the balance right.

There'll have to be good mix of collectors and 'showtime' DJ's who will have to do the business for our descerning dancers and listeners!!

What I can promise though is that it won't be an 'up yer arse' night as entertainment has always been a big part of The Orwell and always will be!!!

Cheers

Steve

Still awaiting confirmation from various DJ's & Collectors for the 'Open Decks' special so to keep the thread a bit more interesting (and OK I know, it'll be a way of keeping it on Page 1 :wicked: ) we'll name a DJ when they confirm that they can play................................

First to confirm and representing The Greatstone is Paul Havakin

Paul's been to many Orwell nights over the years and unfortunately couldn't make it when The Greatstone Boys played at The Orwell a couple of years ago.................so we're glad to have him on board for the 27th thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

STEVE, WHAT A GREAT 1ST CHOICE. TOP GUY WITH SOUNDS TOO DIE FOR. BE HARD TOO TOP THAT M8, I'VE NO DOUBT YOU'LL TRY.

EXCELLENT CHOICE.. !!.

thumbsup.gif:wicked:

Aye Paul's a top man alright, responsible for putting folks onto great records that go onto to be firm favourites at places like The Orwell etc :lol:

Not saying we'll 'top that' BUT i know we'll compliment the line up with other quality guests!

Cheers

Steve

Next two names on the list are Derek Smith (from Preston living in Chorley) and Jim Elliott (from 'daan saarf' living in Crewe.)

Derek has been around forever and sites 'Richard's later Wigan discoveries' as highlights in his long love affair with the UK Soul scene! He's long championed 70's Soul dancers and always played them in his sets at The Morecambe Pier all nighters of the early/mid 80's!

Young whippersnapper James has his roots in the 100 Club of the mid 80's (which can't be bad!) and today can be seen frequenting many quality Soul venues including the legendary Yarmouth weekenders!

Both guys have fantastic taste and attend virtually every Orwell! Both will be playing an early set each.

Will definitely be worth getting down early for :wub:

Cheers

Steve

who's next?

I may feel the need to don a cheerleading costume laugh.gifwicked.gif

Now ya talking thumbup.gif

Okey dokey here's what we know so far-

Next two names on the list are Derek Smith (from Preston living in Chorley) and Jim Elliott (from 'daan saarf' living in Crewe.)

The next name is something we're very proud of..............................we've got an up and coming DJ by the name of Neil Jones who'll be representing his gaff 'Bury Town Hall' BUT he'll be playing an 'Orwell type' set!! ohmy.gif

Neil has supported The Orwell for many years and loves his 70's & Crossover. Friday 27th July gives him a chance to play a 100% full on set at peak time and we think this will be well worth hearing.

The list is looking good so far and we still have at least another half a dozen to announce!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

The next name is something we're very proud of..............................we've got an up and coming DJ by the name of Neil Jones who'll be representing his gaff 'Bury Town Hall' BUT he'll be playing an 'Orwell type' set!! :ohmy:

Next names on the list for 'Open Decks' night at The Orwell are the Boro Boys

Adam Garbutt, Mike Lofthouse & Alan Thompson (Adam, Lofty & Tomo)

Adam assures me that combined between them, they nearly have as good a collection as that other Boro Boy Mike Charlton :ohmy:

Seriously, these guys know their stuff and look on The Orwell as their spiritual home! In fact they have a table with their name on (top left hand corner) most months! As we like to 'keep it in the family' and also knowing their soulful credentials, the Boro Boys are on board :unsure:

Looking good :(

Steve

Now ya talking :unsure:

The next name is something we're very proud of..............................we've got an up and coming DJ by the name of Neil Jones who'll be representing his gaff 'Bury Town Hall' BUT he'll be playing an 'Orwell type' set!! :(

Neil has supported The Orwell for many years and loves his 70's & Crossover. Friday 27th July gives him a chance to play a 100% full on set at peak time and we think this will be well worth hearing.

The list is looking good so far and we still have at least another half a dozen to announce!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

This Neil Jones sounds rubbish!! ..... you should have put me on instead!.

Jayne.x. :ohmy:

Looking good Mr Plumb....got your email with the full line - up mate so will give it a big up final mention on the show the week before www.solarradio.com however i'm with Jayne on this 'Jones' fellow....lol very dodgy indeed...lol

Hope it's a top night.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Lol, :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to go to this one.. I've not been able to make it for a while...

Jayne.x.

Looking good Mr Plumb....got your email with the full line - up mate so will give it a big up final mention on the show the week before www.solarradio.com however i'm with Jayne on this 'Jones' fellow....lol very dodgy indeed...lol

Hope it's a top night.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Should be a good night I reckon!

The Tent police and assorted Disco Dancers will be watching Neil closely, any hint of R&B and the poor fellow might not get out alive no.gif

Seriously, it'll be great to see Neil playing summat different and I'm sure he's looking forward to it :boxing:

Now if only we'd have been able to do the same with Big Daddy..................maybe next time eh :lol:

Cheers

Steve

The Tent police and assorted Disco Dancers will be watching Neil closely, any hint of R&B and the poor fellow might not get out alive no.gif

Seriously, it'll be great to see Neil playing summat different and I'm sure he's looking forward to it :boxing:

Now if only we'd have been able to do the same with Big Daddy..................maybe next time eh :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Tell Jonesy it's an upfront modern night and to bring his new releases, you'll get a crackin' spot that's just what you want!..

and I'll bet half the records will still be older than me!..lol biggrin.gif

Seriously, most of the Bury residents ( Neil, Sean, Mick,etc) have all got superb 70's and more in their collections that they wouldn't necessarily play in our big room.. Although we love what we do at Bury it will be nice to hear stuff we've not heard in a while.

Jayne.x.

Edited by Miss BurySoul

Steve, very good choice on your selection of the Boro Lad's, your all in for a treat thumbup.gif . Im only sorry i won't be able to attend as other commitments force my hand. angry.gif Good luck to everyone. :boxing:

Aye you're right Wally

In fact some of the records we play originally came from them in the first place, either as a tip or stolen directly from their collections :lol:

Sorry you can't make it - see you soon

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

To be honest Steve i don't really have the tunes to sustain the type of spot required and it's to important a venue to try and blag it mate, respect to the DJ's selected, looks like it could be a top night...still not sure about that 'Jones' bloke though....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

To be honest Steve i don't really have the tunes to sustain the type of spot required and it's to important a venue to try and blag it mate, respect to the DJ's selected, looks like it could be a top night...still not sure about that 'Jones' bloke though....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

'ere!!! Now listen you lot. That man Mr Haverkin along with others are lads with taste that will ensure a top drawer night of music down at the Pier complex. Me? I'm absolutely chuffed to be tagging on and having the chance to spin a few 45's that don't otherwise get to see the light of day when I'm playing out and I'm really looking forward to the 28th!!

And as for Rnb - I'm getting a nose-bleed just thinking about it. Have no fear, quality 70's Soul and X-Over to get that shoe leather a-scuffing is what the night will be all about!!!

Neil Jones :thumbsup:

(Erm - logged in on wrong I.D!! - Ooops!!!)

'ere!!! Now listen you lot. That man Mr Haverkin along with others are lads with taste that will ensure a top drawer night of music down at the Pier complex. Me? I'm absolutely chuffed to be tagging on and having the chance to spin a few 45's that don't otherwise get to see the light of day when I'm playing out and I'm really looking forward to the 28th!!

And as for Rnb - I'm getting a nose-bleed just thinking about it. Have no fear, quality 70's Soul and X-Over to get that shoe leather a-scuffing is what the night will be all about!!!

Neil Jones thumbsup.gif

(Erm - logged in on wrong I.D!! - Ooops!!!)

Not only is he on the wrong id, he's also on the wrong date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the 27th Neil :lol:

Really looking forward to this night and cannot wait to hear you Mr Jones thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Not only is he on the wrong id, he's also on the wrong date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the 27th Neil :thumbsup:

Really looking forward to this night and cannot wait to hear you Mr Jones :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

It's clearly an omen!! lol.. :thumbsup:

you want to sack him off & ask Dolly to take a box instead.....Now why didn't I think of that!.. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

The next name is something we're very proud of..............................we've got an up and coming DJ by the name of Neil Jones who'll be representing his gaff 'Bury Town Hall' BUT he'll be playing an 'Orwell type' set!! :thumbsup:

........and the latest recruit and representing The Three Greyhounds is Pete Best

A great club with a great music policy who have supported The Orwell for many years now :thumbsup:

Pete will be spinning some of their clubs big tunes to the delight of The Orwellian late night dance floor posse!!!!

Still got a couple more to name and shame but I think it's starting to shape up into a unique night. It really would be great if we could get good support on this one. The quality of the DJ's looks top notch and the array of the tuneage on offer should be well worth a visit to sunny Wiggin!

Cheers

Steve

The next name is something we're very proud of..............................we've got an up and coming DJ by the name of Neil Jones who'll be representing his gaff 'Bury Town Hall' BUT he'll be playing an 'Orwell type' set!! :huh:

........and the latest recruit and representing The Three Greyhounds is Pete Best

A great club with a great music policy who have supported The Orwell for many years now :lol:

Pete will be spinning some of their clubs big tunes to the delight of The Orwellian late night dance floor posse!!!!

Still got a couple more to name and shame but I think it's starting to shape up into a unique night. It really would be great if we could get good support on this one. The quality of the DJ's looks top notch and the array of the tuneage on offer should be well worth a visit to sunny Wiggin!

Cheers

Steve

Bloody 'ell Steve gonna be spoilt for choice!!! I'm going away to have a think about all the things that make this night an essential visit no matter how far you've got to come. Be back soon...........

Bloody 'ell Steve gonna be spoilt for choice!!! I'm going away to have a think about all the things that make this night an essential visit no matter how far you've got to come. Be back soon...........

I've not finished yet mate!

Couple more to name and shame today thumbsup.gif

Steve

Guest Brett F

Gonna' have to make the trip for this one, seeing as my good man Mr Havakin is on board, looks the sort of night that just doesn't happen enough for me.

Brett Franklin :thumbsup:

Edited by Brett F

The next name is something we're very proud of..............................we've got an up and coming DJ by the name of Neil Jones who'll be representing his gaff 'Bury Town Hall' BUT he'll be playing an 'Orwell type' set!! :yes:

Next and representing The Three Greyhounds is Pete Best

THREE TO GO

Next and also representing The Greatstone is Tony Jackson.............

He'll be doing a two's up with Paul Havakin to give us all a flavour of their lovely little club

Looking good...............last two announced tomorrow

Cheers

Steve

Okey dokey here's the final TWO DJ's.................

Let's recap

The next name is something we're very proud of..............................we've got an up and coming DJ by the name of Neil Jones who'll be representing his gaff 'Bury Town Hall' BUT he'll be playing an 'Orwell type' set!! ohmy.gif

(doing a two's up with Paul Havakin to give us all a flavour of their lovely little club)

the final two are PETE HAIGH & ANDY LETT (Epic)

Pete & Andy (although currently involved with Soulful Dance at Lytham) will be showing their credentials (and their age) with a 'Last Hour -Spirit of The Mecca' set!!!!!!!!

Both regulars (as punters and/or DJ's) at the Mecca in the 70's, they will be bringing that spirit with them to inspire the dancers and the listeners!

Will set out the play order later BUT as Elmer Fudd said 'That's all folks' :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Okey dokey here's the final TWO DJ's.................

Let's recap

(doing a two's up with Paul Havakin to give us all a flavour of their lovely little club)

the final two are PETE HAIGH & ANDY LETT (Epic)

Pete & Andy (although currently involved with Soulful Dance at Lytham) will be showing their credentials (and their age) with a 'Last Hour -Spirit of The Mecca' set!!!!!!!!

Both regulars (as punters and/or DJ's) at the Mecca in the 70's, they will be bringing that spirit with them to inspire the dancers and the listeners!

Will set out the play order later BUT as Elmer Fudd said 'That's all folks' :D

Cheers

Steve

Just a gentle nudge up to the top. Really looking forward to playing friday can't wait

Paul.

Just a gentle nudge up to the top. Really looking forward to playing friday can't wait

Paul.

I bet I'm more excited than you are Paul....

Have been chained barefoot to the kitchen sink all weekend, so am absolutely full to the brim with vim, verve and vigour. Lets hope I don't internally combust before Friday :yes:

I bet I'm more excited than you are Paul....

Have been chained barefoot to the kitchen sink all weekend, so am absolutely full to the brim with vim, verve and vigour. Lets hope I don't internally combust before Friday :P

I've not got anything on the vim label?

Oh and you spelt vigor wrong (out of New York)

........i'll get me anorak :thumbup:

THE DJ ROSTER in this order.........

Derek Smith - Preston

Jim Elliott - Crewe via Essex

Adam, Lofty, Tomo - The Boro Boys

Paul Havakin & Tony Jackson - The Greatstone

Pete Haigh & Andy Lett - The Spirit of Blackpool Mecca

Neil Jones - Bury Town Hall

Pete Best - The Three Greyhounds

11 DJ's spinning ALL the tuneage THIS Friday

It really would be nice if we got a few folks in to listen and dance to this unique gathering!

I reckon there's a fabulous balance to suit just about everyone in that little lot!

Please lend us your support..............you will not be disappointed!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Derek Smith - Preston

It really would be nice if we got a few folks in to listen and dance to this unique gathering!

I reckon there's a fabulous balance to suit just about everyone in that little lot!

Please lend us your support..............you will not be disappointed!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, i did my little bit with a few plugs for this one so i hope it helps??? can't make it due to bloody working Saturday but hope to see you soon there maybe, if you have another Northern type affair upstairs??? i'll get me pressings ready...lol....Barbara Hall number one tune in 'The Soul Shack' mate...i bet it's out of stock now ...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

www.solarradio.com

Hi Steve, i did my little bit with a few plugs for this one so i hope it helps??? can't make it due to bloody working Saturday but hope to see you soon there maybe, if you have another Northern type affair upstairs??? i'll get me pressings ready...lol....Barbara Hall number one tune in 'The Soul Shack' mate...i bet it's out of stock now ...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

www.solarradio.com

Hiya Mark

You know we wanted you (& Neil) to do an 'Orwell' set on the 27th - pity you are working :lol:

We'll hopefully get you (and your pressings LOL) up to Wigan very soon!!!

Barbara Hall sounding the business mate thumbsup.gif

VERY low on them now - I've certainly had folks enquiring about (and buying) 'that fabulous 70's dancer' that Mark Bicknell is playing!

Solar radio, Sunday night 8pm-10pm is a must for me (and many others) - more power to The Shack and all who sail in her!!!

Cheers

Steve

Hiya Mark

You know we wanted you (& Neil) to do an 'Orwell' set on the 27th - pity you are working sad.gif

We'll hopefully get you (and your pressings LOL) up to Wigan very soon!!!

Barbara Hall sounding the business mate thumbsup.gif

VERY low on them now - I've certainly had folks enquiring about (and buying) 'that fabulous 70's dancer' that Mark Bicknell is playing!

Solar radio, Sunday night 8pm-10pm is a must for me (and many others) - more power to The Shack and all who sail in her!!!

Cheers

Steve

You say the nicest things Mr Plumb...lol you keep me supplied with the odd gem or two and i'll play them mate no messing, would have loved to come on Friday even though Kirsty bullies me...lol trouble is i like it!!!!!but working and all that, i'm sure it will be a quality night.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

You say the nicest things Mr Plumb...lol you keep me supplied with the odd gem or two and i'll play them mate no messing, would have loved to come on Friday even though Kirsty bullies me...lol trouble is i like it!!!!!but working and all that, i'm sure it will be a quality night.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

It's funny that, everyone seems to like being bullied by Kirsty :ohmy:

Got a nice lickle pack on it's way to Big Daddy :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Derek Smith - Preston

Wow! couldn't really ask for a better line up for the first of the Orwell 'open deck' specials. Hope you guys are looking forward to it on Friday. I'll make sure the decks are fired up and ready by 8pm cant wait to hear some fantastic tunage

Let's be 'avvin all you people who complain about only hearing the, same ole same ole! Come and enjoy quality tunes, in excellent surrouundings, spun by people with a passion (and the ales good as well :rolleyes: )

All the Best

BazM

Looking forward to tomorrow night been a while since the north lancs festival night

I have the pleasure of the Fylde Formation Disco Dancing team with me to add some fun to the proceedings. :D:lol:

Mr Epic will be navigating Mr Haigh(or vice versa) to ensure we get there in plenty of time after hearing us his tales of 70ss mecca nonsense(smuggling chicken sandwiches inside his 42"flared bottoms) and how they stopped off at cassinellis to worship dr funkenstein mr curtis(i digress)

lots of fun and great tuneage tomorro wnight

good luck to the djs and have a great time

see you there

thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to tomorrow night been a while since the north lancs festival night

I have the pleasure of the Fylde Formation Disco Dancing team with me to add some fun to the proceedings. :huh::P

Mr Epic will be navigating Mr Haigh(or vice versa) to ensure we get there in plenty of time after hearing us his tales of 70ss mecca nonsense(smuggling chicken sandwiches inside his 42"flared bottoms) and how they stopped off at cassinellis to worship dr funkenstein mr curtis(i digress)

lots of fun and great tuneage tomorro wnight

good luck to the djs and have a great time

see you there

:P

Nice one mate :D

April's Orwell was fabulous as part of your NLSF - can't wait for 2008's weekend!!!!!!

Looking forward to Pete & Andy sharing that 'Spirit of the Last Hour at The Blackpool Mecca'

Just hope the 42" flares don't make an appearance!

Mind you, stranger things have happended...............Pete's still telling the same jokes from 1975 :huh:

Cheers

Steve

Derek Smith - Preston

Wow! couldn't really ask for a better line up for the first of the Orwell 'open deck' specials. Hope you guys are looking forward to it on Friday. I'll make sure the decks are fired up and ready by 8pm cant wait to hear some fantastic tunage

Let's be 'avvin all you people who complain about only hearing the, same ole same ole! Come and enjoy quality tunes, in excellent surrouundings, spun by people with a passion (and the ales good as well :P )

All the Best

BazM

Baz

That's a great point about 'same ole same ole' (not that it ever is anyway but i know what you mean!)

No excuses guys and gals, Friday will be unique!

Oh and just to put a bit more pressure on the 11 DJ's.....................I've heard from half a dozen guys/girls who are coming who didn't make it into the final line up!!!!! They want to see and hear these 11 renegades to understand why they weren't picked in the first place?

No pressure guys :D:huh::huh::P:lol:

Cheers

Steve