Gloria Jones "tainted Love"

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Gloria Jones "Tainted Love" is also included in 2-CD Rediscover The 60´s & 70´s - In The Midnight Hour, the Old Gold collection featuring 24 soul classics from 1962-76. Nice compilation for newbies, i.e. people who want an introduction to soul.

Soft Cell´s version of "Tainted Love" was sampled by new R&B sensation/novelty act Rihanna on her "S.O.S.". This has resulted in new interest also for the 1965 Gloria Jones recording.

If you want an mp3 of the track - pm me.

Melismo

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Make sure you get the Champion version. The Inferno UK version is a remixed one, and lacks the 'haunting melody' that I loved in the Champion track.

Social source share

Make sure you get the Champion version. The Inferno UK version is a remixed one, and lacks the 'haunting melody' that I loved in the Champion track.

Strange - I used to have it on Inferno 7" for years (the blue one with Sandy Wynns on the other side), and now have it on Champion, and when I had both I couldn't tell any difference between the two versions - unless you're thinking of the Inferno 12" re-edit (which also had the 7" version on), or for that matter if there's yet another release?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Strange - I used to have it on Inferno 7" for years (the blue one with Sandy Wynns on the other side), and now have it on Champion, and when I had both I couldn't tell any difference between the two versions - unless you're thinking of the Inferno 12" re-edit (which also had the 7" version on), or for that matter if there's yet another release?

Perhaps its just my senility then. I thought the backing vocals were far more 'echo-ie' on the US label. I also have a feeling the Inferno version was speeded up ever so slightly??

Social source share

Yes, the original version of "Tainted Love" was recorded by Gloria Jones, Marc Bolan´s girlfriend.

Soft Cell were the ones who achieved mainstream success with the song some 15 years later.

Even 10 years after Soft Cell had a hit with it, Marilyn Manson turned it into a heavy rock number and gave it renewed exposure.

Ed Cobb, the composer of "Tainted Love", sadly is no longer alive, he passed in 1999. He´s best known for his contributions to the world of rock and pop, but he also composed for instance "Every Little Bit Hurts" for Brenda Holloway, a true soul classic.

Social source share

Yes, the original version of "Tainted Love" was recorded by Gloria Jones, Marc Bolan´s girlfriend.

Soft Cell were the ones who achieved mainstream success with the song some 15 years later.

Even 10 years after Soft Cell had a hit with it, Marilyn Manson turned it into a heavy rock number and gave it renewed exposure.

Ed Cobb, the composer of "Tainted Love", sadly is no longer alive, he passed in 1999. He´s best known for his contributions to the world of rock and pop, but he also composed for instance "Every Little Bit Hurts" for Brenda Holloway, a true soul classic.

I don't think she was Marc Bolan's girlfriend at the time tainted love was recorded, maybe 10 years later she was. Tainted love came out in 1964.

Social source share

i remember reading/hearing an interview with marc almond,he said round the time of his version he was at a meeting with the u.s record company and ed cobb was also there,almond said ed wouldnt speak to him or even look at him huh.gif theres gratitude :wicked:

Social source share

I don't think she was Marc Bolan's girlfriend at the time tainted love was recorded, maybe 10 years later she was. Tainted love came out in 1964.

Yes, you´re right. Also it was even 20, not 10 years later, that Marilyn Manson introuced the song to a younger audience smile.gif

That song never dies it seems.

Social source share

Yes, you´re right. Also it was even 20, not 10 years later, that Marilyn Manson introuced the song to a younger audience smile.gif

That song never dies it seems.

"20 years after Soft Cell did it", was what I intended to write.

Lately every time I post something - Soul Source disappears, so just when I was going to edit my mistakes the forum was down again...

Social source share

i remember reading/hearing an interview with marc almond,he said round the time of his version he was at a meeting with the u.s record company and ed cobb was also there,almond said ed wouldnt speak to him or even look at him :D theres gratitude :thumbsup:

I would have done the same .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!