Attic, July 7th,1st Anniversary

HI, JULY 7TH brings us to the 1ST ANNIVERSARY at THE ATTIC,with

the Big Daddy himself ....MARK BICKNELL!!!.

Expect a nite of sounds you know ,sounds you don't know,a smattering of classics,and everything in between.(so if you don't like it after that,tough ,you have been told biggrin.gif ).

I would like to thank ,on behalf of de' management,all your support over the last year.Everyone who's come up to the ATTIC,all who've looked at the threads,and those who haven't yet made it, but still wish us well thumbsup.gif .You know who you are.

The nite itself.....

7.30 - 12.30 ish

£3.00 to get in..............(food will be laid on upstairs for free!!)

dj line up.....

7.30-8.30 STEVE L.

8.30-9.15 GARRY

9.15-10.00 KEV

10.00-11.30----MARK BICKNELL

11.30-12.30 DEAN

see you there,,,KEV. :wicked: ....

( TOO BUSY LOOKING OVER MY SHOULDER TO BE PARANOID)

• Replies 109
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Expect a nite of sounds you know ,sounds you don't know,a smattering of classics,and everything in between.(so if you don't like it after that,tough ,you have been told biggrin.gif ).

I would like to thank ,on behalf of de' management,all your support over the last year.Everyone who's come up to the ATTIC,all who've looked at the threads,and those who haven't yet made it, but still wish us well thumbsup.gif .You know who you are.

The nite itself.....

7.30 - 12.30 ish

dj line up.....

7.30-8.30 STEVE L.

8.30-9.15 GARRY

9.15-10.00 KEV

11.30-12.30 DEAN

see you there,,,KEV. :wicked: ....

Hello there, not been about much on here since early May, infact not been doing much soul wise at all recently except the show, trust you all enjoyed the little 'Soul And Inspiration' spotlight on 'The Attic' a couple of weeks ago, really looking forward to this one, just one slight little problem which i'm trying to resolve!!!! i have to work on Sunday as my manager and other members of staff are away so i'm in a bit of a pickle, i was wondering if any kind soul/s are heading to Mansfield from Manchester/North West who i may be able to get a lift with, will chip in with petrol etc. basically need to do the round trip on Saturday to get back for work on Sunday so if anyone can help please IM me or contact bicknellmark@aol.com i really don't want to miss this one.

See you next week - Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hello there, not been about much on here since early May, infact not been doing much soul wise at all recently except the show, trust you all enjoyed the little 'Soul And Inspiration' spotlight on 'The Attic' a couple of weeks ago, really looking forward to this one, just one slight little problem which i'm trying to resolve!!!! i have to work on Sunday as my manager and other members of staff are away so i'm in a bit of a pickle, i was wondering if any kind soul/s are heading to Mansfield from Manchester/North West who i may be able to get a lift with, will chip in with petrol etc. basically need to do the round trip on Saturday to get back for work on Sunday so if anyone can help please IM me or contact bicknellmark@aol.com i really don't want to miss this one.

See you next week - Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Sure you'll get it sorted Mark!!.

Just a quick message to all attending.

Had feedback from some concerning the sound quality,all positive comments, i might add.

Upgraded equipment is now in our sweaty hands,waiting to be unleashed on an expectant crowd on JULY 7.

Thanks for sticking by us thru some tricky moments, basically it shows that there are GOOD SOULS out there,no matter what you might read thumbsup.gif

Sure you'll get it sorted Mark!!.

Just a quick message to all attending.

Had feedback from some concerning the sound quality,all positive comments, i might add.

Upgraded equipment is now in our sweaty hands,waiting to be unleashed on an expectant crowd on JULY 7.

Thanks for sticking by us thru some tricky moments, basically it shows that there are GOOD SOULS out there,no matter what you might read thumbsup.gif

I'm certainly trying to get this minor problem sorted mate.....lol by hook or by crook and all that.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Expect a nite of sounds you know ,sounds you don't know,a smattering of classics,and everything in between.(so if you don't like it after that,tough ,you have been told :D ).

I would like to thank ,on behalf of de' management,all your support over the last year.Everyone who's come up to the ATTIC,all who've looked at the threads,and those who haven't yet made it, but still wish us well :ohmy: .You know who you are.

The nite itself.....

7.30 - 12.30 ish

dj line up.....

7.30-8.30 STEVE L.

8.30-9.15 GARRY

9.15-10.00 KEV

11.30-12.30 DEAN

see you there,,,KEV. :lol: ....

I'm certainly trying to get this minor problem sorted mate.....lol by hook or by crook and all that.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark. Really enjoyed the Soul and Inspiration night on Solar that flattered The Attic. Kev and I went down to Different Kettle of Fish last Friday, know your name is good down there from the previous show. I'm sure we'll be going back there, had an excellent night, you'd really like that one. Think we might look at a mini-bus next time, will let you know in case you fancy coming to Mansfield and joining that trip.

Sorry about the work stuff. Was hoping we could have another late night after Attic party with you spinning 'til the sun came up. Was going to call this week to make sure you knew you had a bed at mine. Keep in touch with travel plans, we'll work something out even if it's me and you on a tandem over the peaks at 02.30 Sunday morning!

Looking forward to seeing you and one of the hottest boxes on the scene. Dean

Would like to also thank the local promoters (guys and gals) who have supported The ATTIC over the last year,even though we've not always managed to get to their nites as much as we shuda'. :sweatingbullets:

We will be putting that right ,so expect us landing on your doorstep soon.

I've said it before,without using a Lunar calendar,there's only so many w/ends to be shared out,so venues clash.

We're only offering an alternative,no more ,no less, ,,,,NO POLITICS.

Find out for yourself what's on offer,,,JULY 7TH WITH MARK BICKNELL,,,,,,,,KEV. :thumbsup:

Hi Mark. Really enjoyed the Soul and Inspiration night on Solar that flattered The Attic. Kev and I went down to Different Kettle of Fish last Friday, know your name is good down there from the previous show. I'm sure we'll be going back there, had an excellent night, you'd really like that one. Think we might look at a mini-bus next time, will let you know in case you fancy coming to Mansfield and joining that trip.

Sorry about the work stuff. Was hoping we could have another late night after Attic party with you spinning 'til the sun came up. Was going to call this week to make sure you knew you had a bed at mine. Keep in touch with travel plans, we'll work something out even if it's me and you on a tandem over the peaks at 02.30 Sunday morning!

Looking forward to seeing you and one of the hottest boxes on the scene. Dean

Dean me old son i'll be there mate even if i have to walk home, just need to be in Oldham for 10.30am Sunday i can kip when i get to work lol, pleasure to do the spotlight for you guys on the show.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Expect a nite of sounds you know ,sounds you don't know,a smattering of classics,and everything in between.(so if you don't like it after that,tough ,you have been told :( ).

I would like to thank ,on behalf of de' management,all your support over the last year.Everyone who's come up to the ATTIC,all who've looked at the threads,and those who haven't yet made it, but still wish us well :thumbsup: .You know who you are.

The nite itself.....

7.30 - 12.30 ish

dj line up.....

7.30-8.30 STEVE L.

8.30-9.15 GARRY

9.15-10.00 KEV

11.30-12.30 DEAN

MESSAGE TO SMOKERS........

UPSTAIRS AT THE ATTIC WE HAVE AN OUTSIDE "BALCONY" AREA ,THAT CAN ACCOMODATE AROUND 6 SMOKERS,SO ITS PRETTY SMALL.

OR IF YOU WANT YOU CAN CHILL OUT BY USING THE DOWNSTAIRS FACILITIES AND GETTING A BREATHER.

MESSAGE TO EARLY STARTERS....

DOWNSTAIRS IN THE BLACK BULL,DAVE THE LANDLORD SERVES UP NOT NOTCH PUB GRUB, SO WHY NOY COME EARLY , HAVE A BITE TO EAT IN THE REFURBISHED CONSERVATORY,,,,,BEFORE HEADING UPSTAIRS TO THE ATTIC,,7.30 START!!

,,,,,KEV. :thumbsup:

Well chaps i can confirm that i have Saturday off work so no problem getting there.....lol the slight problem is getting back as i've still got to work Sunday......i've tried and begged but it's a no no getting Sunday off, so i really need to find out if anyone from the Manchester area is infact going to 'The Attic' and who maybe able to give me a lift straight back after the gig otherwise i'm walking home....lol please if you can help please contact bicknellmark@aol.com as i said by hook or by crook i'll be there.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Well chaps i can confirm that i have Saturday off work so no problem getting there.....lol the slight problem is getting back as i've still got to work Sunday......i've tried and begged but it's a no no getting Sunday off, so i really need to find out if anyone from the Manchester area is infact going to 'The Attic' and who maybe able to give me a lift straight back after the gig otherwise i'm walking home....lol please if you can help please contact bicknellmark@aol.com as i said by hook or by crook i'll be there.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Look forward to a good night Mark. I'll try to get you on the phone to arrange. You know we won't leave you out on your own if a lift back doesn't come forward. We're trying out some new, much better sound equip at Garrrry Churms birthday night that we'll have in full flow for the aniv night. Gonna be a good night with you mate. See you soon,Dean.

Look forward to a good night Mark. I'll try to get you on the phone to arrange. You know we won't leave you out on your own if a lift back doesn't come forward. We're trying out some new, much better sound equip at Garrrry Churms birthday night that we'll have in full flow for the aniv night. Gonna be a good night with you mate. See you soon,Dean.

Get that tandem ready Dean it could be a long cycle home back to Manchester....lol this time next week we will be buzzing mate!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Expect a nite of sounds you know ,sounds you don't know,a smattering of classics,and everything in between.(so if you don't like it after that,tough ,you have been told :no: ).

I would like to thank ,on behalf of de' management,all your support over the last year.Everyone who's come up to the ATTIC,all who've looked at the threads,and those who haven't yet made it, but still wish us well :thumbsup: .You know who you are.

The nite itself.....

7.30 - 12.30 ish

dj line up.....

7.30-8.30 STEVE L.

8.30-9.15 GARRY

9.15-10.00 KEV

11.30-12.30 DEAN

Guest biggray1

Hi kEV..sorry but wont be able to make next nite at Attic..off on hols this week fo a fortnight..will see you next time..allways a goodnigth at the Attic..have a great nite..Graham&Rosy.

Hi kEV..sorry but wont be able to make next nite at Attic..off on hols this week fo a fortnight..will see you next time..allways a goodnigth at the Attic..have a great nite..Graham&Rosy.

have a good holiday you two,we'll miss you on July 7,see you next time,,KEV. :thumbsup:

Hi Guys, bad news i'm affraid.....lol looks like one of you is gonna have to cook the full English after all.......and very possibly we will end up turning it into a mini allnighter, managed to beg, trade and swap my Tuesday and two lates for the Sunday off so panic over, put the tandem back in the shed Dean as Bicker's is staying over after all, will be hitting Mansfield around the normal time chaps so see you at the go - go. Move over Daddy's back in town ready, willing and very able to do the two hour stint as before....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Guys, bad news i'm affraid.....lol looks like one of you is gonna have to cook the full English after all.......and very possibly we will end up turning it into a mini allnighter, managed to beg, trade and swap my Tuesday and two lates for the Sunday off so panic over, put the tandem back in the shed Dean as Bicker's is staying over after all, will be hitting Mansfield around the normal time chaps so see you at the go - go. Move over Daddy's back in town ready, willing and very able to do the two hour stint as before....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

continental breakfast not an option then MARK? :wicked: .

Glad to hear you're sorted :thumbsup: ,and on your way.

The new system was put thru it's paces last nite at Garry's 50th,came thru with flying colors,stripped the pastry off the sausages rolls no problem :D .

Could'nt do LLine cos of said party ,so Garry owes us big time.

As you said ,BIG DADDY'S IN TOWN,JULY 7TH AT THE ATTIC.

Top news Mark, so the horses head in the bosses bed was an offer he couldn't refuse eh!

Listening to Solar radio as I flick though ebay and scan soul source, some great tunes tonight Mark, stirring stuff, gets the mind focussed on our little Attic room for next Sat night.

Picked a few tunes up over the last month, some from A45heaven again, always a great list from Barrie there.

Had this one for a long time but never played it out, Major Lance - I Never Thought I'd be Losing You on SOUL (last single on label S35123), anybody heard this out anywhere? Great tune for today, think I'll try it out. tried it out on Kev H as we were clearing up after Churms 50th bash this morning. we wanted to put the new amp and speakers to the test as Garrrrry was in granny mode and we weren't allowed to pump it up any last night. Major and the new set up sounded excellent.

Looking forward to our usual friendly quality music night, supported by Mark Bicknell (just listening to Sheila Ferguson at the moment Mark ......haunting ........ And in Return).

Looking forward to seeing our regular friends and any new ones.

I would like to add that IMO this night has got better and better, if you tried us earlier come and check out the distance travelled!

Dean

Top news Mark, so the horses head in the bosses bed was an offer he couldn't refuse eh!

Listening to Solar radio as I flick though ebay and scan soul source, some great tunes tonight Mark, stirring stuff, gets the mind focussed on our little Attic room for next Sat night.

Picked a few tunes up over the last month, some from A45heaven again, always a great list from Barrie there.

Had this one for a long time but never played it out, Major Lance - I Never Thought I'd be Losing You on SOUL (last single on label S35123), anybody heard this out anywhere? Great tune for today, think I'll try it out. tried it out on Kev H as we were clearing up after Churms 50th bash this morning. we wanted to put the new amp and speakers to the test as Garrrrry was in granny mode and we weren't allowed to pump it up any last night. Major and the new set up sounded excellent.

Looking forward to our usual friendly quality music night, supported by Mark Bicknell (just listening to Sheila Ferguson at the moment Mark ......haunting ........ And in Return).

Looking forward to seeing our regular friends and any new ones.

I would like to add that IMO this night has got better and better, if you tried us earlier come and check out the distance travelled!

Dean

Cheers Dean..........let's do it!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

The new sound system will make a great night even better and Mr Bicknell will have the tunes with him to put it to the test, of that I have no doubt. whistling.gif

Wilton Friday and then Attic Saturday , looks like being a great weekend and no dreaded WORK !!! :wicked: to get in the way this time.

See you there

Paul & Sue , Doncaster :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The new sound system will make a great night even better and Mr Bicknell will have the tunes with him to put it to the test, of that I have no doubt. whistling.gif

Wilton Friday and then Attic Saturday , looks like being a great weekend and no dreaded WORK !!! :wicked: to get in the way this time.

See you there

Paul & Sue , Doncaster :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes Paul work has a habbit of getting in the way of all things soulful....lol not this coming weekend i'm now glad to say, i have a feeling that 'The Attic' is gonna rock in a soulful kinda way if that makes any sense.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

continental breakfast not an option then MARK? biggrin.gif .

Glad to hear you're sorted :rolleyes: ,and on your way.

The new system was put thru it's paces last nite at Garry's 50th,came thru with flying colors,stripped the pastry off the sausages rolls no problem :shhh: .

Could'nt do LLine cos of said party ,so Garry owes us big time.

As you said ,BIG DADDY'S IN TOWN,JULY 7TH AT THE ATTIC.

Just got me coach ticket so pretty much all set....just need to borrow a few decent records and job done.....lol i could not think of a better venue to do one of my few spots i now do, really looking forward to it.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell

Day off today Tuesday, same old problem it's impossible to get three hundred records into a hundred count box but i'm having a wonderful morning trying guys...lol talk about 'Soul And Inspiration' having a ball playing a few things...packed a few biggies, classics and some other bits and bobs that i'm sure will hit the spot on Saturday at 'The Attic'...ok must get back upstairs records all over the place....nothing better and it's pissing down with rain, sunshine upstairs though...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Just back off me hols to the delights of good old blighty.... rain, clouds,floods, terrorists etc :) All I can say is roll on Saturday yes.gif

The lads tell me the new sound system is pretty good and I've had a couple of nice tunes delivered while I was away so cant wait to give em a spin even though I'm on the graveyard shift ohmy.gif Never mind.

Cant really believe we've been going for a year, time flies dont it?

Thanks to everyone for supporting us over the last 12 months, see y'all on Sat :thumbsup:

Just back off me hols to the delights of good old blighty.... rain, clouds,floods, terrorists etc :) All I can say is roll on Saturday yes.gif

The lads tell me the new sound system is pretty good and I've had a couple of nice tunes delivered while I was away so cant wait to give em a spin even though I'm on the graveyard shift ohmy.gif Never mind.

Cant really believe we've been going for a year, time flies dont it?

Thanks to everyone for supporting us over the last 12 months, see y'all on Sat :thumbsup:

Well just in case you have forgot how to create a masterpiece of a breakfast....more of the same please!!!! see you Saturday.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-1183475531_thumb.jpg

We've all gone a bit greyer Mark, another grey (or lost) hair for each technical hitch. No bother with this new Amp **!!*** huge.

Thanks for all your support, night-spinning back here after the Attic closes up. Expecting a top night.

Meet you saturday, Dean

We've all gone a bit greyer Mark, another grey (or lost) hair for each technical hitch. No bother with this new Amp **!!*** huge.

Thanks for all your support, night-spinning back here after the Attic closes up. Expecting a top night.

Meet you saturday, Dean

I'm waiting on a new tuneage this week that i'm sure will hit the spot, looking forward to it mate, coach arrives at normal time 5pm into Mansfield, could be a long night...you bet!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark, it gives me a headache just looking at that picture :rolleyes:

Great night though yes.gif

Most of those empty bottles were down to you old son!!!!!!! here's to another legendary night in the history of 'The Attic' see you all Saturday......now where's me records mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm there they is...wow!!!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

hi all, so Big Daddy's coming,SteveL,Dean,Garry and myself.........anyone else?

Sheffield area still under water? No excuse chaps and chapesses!!. :shades:

DKOF CONTINGENT!!,can you make it? Paul D ,you coming to see your old mucker Bicknell?.

Cressy,Ray,Mark H,and ladies?,,going to Nottm?

SteveB,PeteT and ladies??,,,Chris,Sharon,BBB,???

As they say.......

COME ON DOWN,,,,,,feed your soul on Saturday nite ,from horses doovers(7.30) to dessert (12.30) ,,,,, you know it makes sense ,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and remember ,,,,,,,,,SMILE. :wub:

Guest krawen

Sheffield area still under water? No excuse chaps and chapesses!!. :D

DKOF CONTINGENT!!,can you make it? Paul D ,you coming to see your old mucker Bicknell?.

As they say.......

COME ON DOWN,,,,,,feed your soul on Saturday nite ,from horses doovers(7.30) to dessert (12.30) ,,,,, you know it makes sense ,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and remember ,,,,,,,,,SMILE. :(

I think I might just make it to this one chaps :thumbsup:

not sure about that smiling thing though ,I'll have to get some practice in :ohmy:

see you soon

Steve B

Sheffield area still under water? No excuse chaps and chapesses!!. :(

As they say.......

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and remember ,,,,,,,,,SMILE. :thumbsup:

I'll be there i just hope the area is flood free now...fingers crossed.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

If this file has uploaded ok you can preview some of our reading material. Thought as this was our first anniversary, and we were celebrating, it would be interesting to see what was happening on the 'soul scene' on this week over the years. Done a few copies of a couple of pages of Blues and Soul No113 (July 6-19 1973), No163 (June 24-July 7 1975), No200 (July6 1976), No201 (July 13 1976), No229 (July 5 - 18 1977), No255 (July 4 - 17 1978).

Don't know what happened to the '74 one, presumably ended up at the bottom of the hamster cage. Just something to browse when you're not all on the floor to Mark Bicknell's spot.

See you Saturday, Dean

post-5677-1183575745_thumb.jpg

Sheffield area still under water? No excuse chaps and chapesses!!. :yes:

As they say.......

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and remember ,,,,,,,,,SMILE. wicked.gif

Really really sorry lads that we won`t be with you on your first anniversary..we`ll be in France! Are we forgiven??

Have a great time one and all!! :(

C & S

Really really sorry lads that we won`t be with you on your first anniversary..we`ll be in France! Are we forgiven??

Have a great time one and all!! :(

C & S

COURSE YOU ARE FORGIVEN,nothing a slab of brie and a half dozen reds won't sort out laugh.gif ,cost you all of 12 euros................

Mak, i can't stop playing it mate...lol right up your street pal...see you at the bar!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

it's not "SON OF MY FATHER" -CHICORY TIP is it???.Not heard that out since '73 laugh.gif .

See you very soon Mark for pre-event drinks.Medicinal of course.

I always enjoy reading the sales pitch comments on John Manship's auctions, looking forward to Saturday night at the Attic I particularly enjoyed this one currently on there:

".............within Mark's (Bicknell) most imaginative set he dropped the sylus on this underplayed Detroit gem. Instantly causing a a halt to our conversations, which switched to "not heard this for years, what a great tune" was the universal opinion.

The tune............Matthew Barnett - If Your Love is Real (PUFF)

Bring it on Mark, just the reaction we look for at the Attic "not heard this in ages, what a great tune".

Further down the auction is a nice Snb promo of Flamma Sherman - Where is he, think that will be in my set (also selling a blue issue of this but unfortunately centre is pushed out, picked a really clean promo to replace this as it's an old fav of mine from St Ives days)

Dean