2003 - Soul Highlights??

Mike

Sinking under a "to do list" that is bigger than me wants list and fast approaching the time to hit the pub.

As its always a bit of a reflective time, thought start a "look back" thread and ask all readers to throw up their highlights of 2003

Be it best event, best sound, memory, moment, laugh, misty, and so on......

Here's hoping 2004 will be at least as good 2003 soul wise and have as many laughs!

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A great year on the soul scene for choice etc..but also the death of Nina Simone really got to me.."the high priestess of soul", she put a spell on me and i'm playing I wish I knew now on xmas day to celebrate her life.. Another highlight was the alldayer in tribute to Randy, i only met him twice but ooh what a day that was. All the best to you Mick H and look forward to seeing you play at our little do at the new century soon. Also sorry to see that Colin at the Camel Club will not get a regular all-niter going at the moment, great line up of djs on the last two nights, real quality,real rare soul.

Steve..Manchester...

Social source share

The passing of Randy Cozens had to be the lowest point for me this year, the All-Dayer was a fitting tribute & as we all know Randy's legacy will be his open minded approach to all things soulful.

The 100 Club for me still reigns supreme & I look forward emmensely to celebrating 25 years in 2004, long may it continue.

Too many good records to mention, but the Eric Lomax C/UP, although a monster at the 100 Club via Mick Smith for a couple of years, finally broke loose & the rest of the world has had it unleashed upon them. Also Ady's Luther Ingram choon is immense, don't know if this is a C/up, acetate, or what but trust me if it ever busts outa London it'll be huge.

Masses of good contemporary soul released this year, highlights for me were the new Al Green CD, which has at least 2 play cuts on it & is an awesome slab 'o' soul, real soul fans seriously should not be with out this, also fantastic one trackers from Riley Inge, Marzette Griffith & others. Not to mention a plethora of worthy twelves, in particular Kim English, Jean Carne, Jasper St Co, & many others, please be aware that these are soul records with a capitol 'S'.

Loads of new All-Nighters started up, many of which in the last few months, so hopefully will visit soon.

Soulful @ Cagney's in Bourmouth goes from strenght to strength, blatant plug for me old mate Jason there, & hopefully the New Year will see a new promotion on the South Coast by yours truly, just looking for the right venue.

So 2003 was a bumper year I feel for all things Soulful, new venues opening, new discoveries breaking, good contemporary new soul releases, & good radio coverage, all good positive stuff, lets keep 2004 rolling, see ya'll New Years Eve at Double Shot in the Smoke to see in the New Year with a bit of Soul,

A Happy & Supa Soulful New Year to every one

Russ Vickers

Social source share

Getting teary eyed at Dean Parrish's live rendition of 'I'm On My Way' at Cleethorpes then finally meeting Dave Godin straight after was this years stand out highlight. Another dreamy weekend on the coast.

Others include:

Discovering the sounds of Flash McKinley.

Crossfire. It's the best 60's meet since the Mousetrap on 2 floors.

Arthur Fenn playing Cal Green at the 100 Club.

Can't wait for the Funk Brothers, Prestatyn and Cleethorpes in 2004.

Matty

Social source share

What am I thinking?!

What about Guitar Ray, THE VANGUARDS!!!!!, Brown Sugar, MARTHA JEAN LOVE, The MONTCLAIRS, Sugar & Spices, Royal Esquires.

All had me screaming my way onto dancefloors this past year.

GIVE ME MORE IN 2004!

Matty...

Social source share

Randy's open minded approach is an approach that I hope many other people will follow, he opened peoples minds, he loved his music and no one could ever be as dedicated as he was.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

How about...

- the death of Barry White?

- the emergence of many new artists with the "classic feel"?

- the release of new CD's with new material from EWF, Average White Band, Tower of Power, Barbara Mason, Bettye Lavette, Soul Generation, Dells, Mandrill and others?

- the Mighty Dells induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!