Strange Places To Hear Northern

Guest Trevski

• Replies 69
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

House of frasier, sunday afternoon in the panty section... :yes::no: Ann Sexton "you've been gone too long" johns.......

:D

Sitting in a bar in Corfu about 3 years ago watching a very dull Charlton game (shuddup those shouting all charlton games are dull ....especially Steve G :thumbsup: ) the barstewards wouldn't turn the music down as it was only Charlton so had to put up with house/rnb/garage shit (or modern as some people call it :sweatingbullets: ) when up pops Jimmy Radcliff Long after tonight etc I almost fell off my stool although that may have been 'cause Charlton won a corner. Afterwards straight back to the other stuff ...bizarre

Social source share

PARIS 5 YEARS AGO, WITH LOUISE .LOOKING AROUND A MOD SHOP (COMPLETE WITH VESPA IN THE WINDOW) THE SOUND OF ONE SYDNEY BARNES HURT ON THE OTHER SIDE,THE SHOP ASSISTANT WAS AMAZED I KNEW THE WORDS OFF BY HEART THE LOOK ON HIS FACE HE MUST HAVE BEEN ABOUT 20

Social source share

A flamenco tapas bar in the centre of Seville about 12 years ago, over there on an university study thing (ok jolly) and had made this bar next to our hotel the tour hq. Anyone who has listened to more than 2 flamenco numbers on the trot will know that it's not the grooviest kind of choon to party to. Anyway about 2am and the place is packed and on comes Crackin up, blasting out of the speakers - cue 20 "mature" stoodents (london guildhall uni's finest) dancing on the tables, bar and any horizontal surface in there. This was followed by just like the weather, exus trek, angel baby and many other classics..

The locals were somewhat surprised, the bar owner was totally gob smacked, the uni lecturers over there with us held their heads in their hands at the thought of the diplomatic incident that was sure to follow - cue one giggling welshman who had managed to open the bar's cd juke box and swapped the local variety for something a bit more soulful. Fortunately the owner loved it, the locals joined in and we carried on into the small hours - one of those nights where you just had to be there.

Intoxicated by this wonderful and bizarre sight and probably a few sherberts too many I whacked some pesetas in the bar's pay phone to let the other half share this magical moment at home, "do you know what f%*..ing time it is" followed by the sound of a phone being slammed down did take some of the shine off it for about 20 seconds.... till the next sound came on !!

So if you are ever in a flamenco bar in downtown Seville and the opening bars of Cracking up come out of the speakers, please ask for my cds back.

Happy days - Taff

Edited by Saxafone
Social source share

Help The Aged - Chesterfield - about 2 months ago.

Was walking passed and heard "Open The Door To Your Heart" Darrell Banks Booming out of the doorway.

Thought... Crikey... and dashed in, hoping and half expecting to see a London Demo on the Turntable, surrounded by a huge box of other rare goodies for 10p each...

... sadly it was on the Radio. The young lass behind the counter said she always tunes in to this particular show that "plays a lot of old soul stuff on a saturday afternoon".

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Tommy

My wife and i went clothes shopping (for her, not me!) in London (think it was camden, but i can't remember now) on our last trip back home. First shop we went into was playing The Nomads - Somethings bad! I was so shocked i had to call my Dad to tell him... ha-ha.

Social source share

Guest 18miles

The Petrol station on Warrington Services M62, popped in yesterday to pay and Lou Ragland and Morris Chestnut were being played over the P.A.

Social source share

In a hash bar/cafe in Amsterdam (drinking beer) when Lou Rawls 'See you when I get there' came on the screen complete with cheesy video. Not really Northern but looking around me at the various space cadets i couldn't help thinking "How apt!"

Social source share

French Alps , Meribel, Ski Lodge "Coke Escovada" Wouldn't change a thing ..... followed by Jesse Fisher "your not loving a beginner" ............what a holiday !!!!

A lot of these are just CD's being played, and I hear these things in my local shopping centre from time to time.... but that French Alps pairing is an interesting selection.....obviously someone there must like the moozik

Social source share

In a hash bar/cafe in Amsterdam (drinking beer) when Lou Rawls 'See you when I get there' came on the screen complete with cheesy video. Not really Northern but looking around me at the various space cadets i couldn't help thinking "How apt!"

funny that, years and years ago in amsterdam was the first place i ever heard that track, this was at the time when we were all buying soul new releases, but this one seemed to debut in amsterdam, strange....

tk maxx in derby played cathedrals dc larue the other week although it was a very short version,

the bell hotel in derby in a bar full of long haired scruffy students, terry callier, dont want to see myself, appaarently according to the "yoof" behind the bar its "retro acid jazz"

Social source share

Two years ago in Trinity Beach near Cairns in Oz......me, the mrs and the kids walked out of a beachfront restaurant and the bar alongside was playing Pressure Drop by Toots & the Maytals. I remarked on the quality choice of tune and when it segued into Can't Satisfy - The Impressions; I had a dance in the street - much to the amusement, bemusement and entertainment of the drinkers outside the bar and to the eternal humiliation of the offspring who legged it of down the street.

It just felt like the right thing to do! :rolleyes: In my defence, I had partaken of the odd amber.

Social source share

Guest welshruss

3 weeks ago the wife and i are walking along the beach in Aruba looking for a bar.Come across one looking out over the sea,thinks "how nice" in we go - wots playing - Marvin,were are we going,,George Benson,when love calls,,,,Sean Oliver,you and me,,,,,says to the barman "is this music yours " replies "An english guy left it behind 4 weeks ago,,,,,,,,,so whoever you are thanks,and the arubans love it too.

Social source share

My work takes me round the world fixing mechanical bits on yachts. Most of the time we end up in scabby dock areas, but I ended up going to Zante(Zakinthos) for about 3 hours work and a two day trip. It was full of young brits getting p*ss*d. On the night before I was leaving I passed a bar that advertised "Tuesday Is Soul Night With Andy". Starts 9 oclock. I went in and coming through the speakers was Hit & Run, I've Got something Good, and other more commercial chart stuff. I was really looking forward to 9, when the DJ came on. Sure enough at 5 to 9 this fatish brit came on & sorted his CDs out, and the first track started: "Stand By Me" then this bloke started singing in a club singer stylee unsure.gif . I made my excuses & left. Oh well!

Things are not all bad though, I was in Barcelona working over a weekend when Little Stevie aand a couple of other UK DJs were guesting at a weekender. I didn't get much work done :excl:

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Hobbycraft at Bentley Bridge,Wednesfield,Wolverhampton regularly play what I presume is a cd. Must ask them which one it is as there are some good tracks on it. Due to advancing age I can't remember exactly what was playing the last time I was there.

Pat

Social source share

Guest bill storey

Woolly Edge Services shop "Wade in the water" not my favorite so I thought I'll wait it must be a cd so maybe I'll have a little dance to the next track, turns out it was the radio, Hallam FM I think what a bummer.

Social source share

Woolly Edge Services shop "Wade in the water" not my favorite so I thought I'll wait it must be a cd so maybe I'll have a little dance to the next track, turns out it was the radio, Hallam FM I think what a bummer.

Given the amount of rain we have had in the South Yorkshire region this last couple of weeks , and the devastation it has caused - and is still causing ( Toll Bar in Doncaster ) , Hallam FM should be ashamed of themselves ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Johnny Vaughn again on Capitol this morning talking of "Northern Soul, windows down". "Bit of talc on the floor".. Then played Frankie Valli - Beggin' as he did last week. Then after the track finishes he remarks that 'The Northern Soul Story' is one to listen to, mentions the Fascinations, Dobie Gray and Al Wilson. Upon which they all start singing the Snake! huh.gif

Social source share

Cruise ship last saturday evening, just done Monte Carlo, having light early lunch and topping up on the bacardis, "Flasher" playing from sound system behind bar. can't remember last time i heard it or really wanted to ;-)

steve

Social source share

Blacks camping and outdoor shop today 1:30

bettye Swann "Make me yours" smile.gif

Not as 'exotic' as some of the locations mentioned (except maybe Barry May in TK Maxx in Wigan! The secrets out Mate :shades: ) but Barclays bank have just played 'Sliced Tomatoes' for me while I was on hold.....made me smile

BazM

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Couldn't help but notice your avatar Shane.

Who told you to go to Specsavers then? :thumbsup:

post-4585-1183492347_thumb.jpg

:lol:

the photo is a tribute to 'harry potted meat'

shane

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

One night when I was about 19, back in the early 90's, I was having a few outdoor beers with a mate of mine, under a roadbridge in Castlebar county Mayo. We had with us a little ghettoblaster and I had a tape playing with stuff like Magnetics "When Im with My Baby";Jackie Lee; Darkest Days and lots of other big 6ts tracks. We were getting well aled and dancing around when out of nowhere some bloke in his mid thirties appeared. The bloke was from lancashire and said he had been heading back to the B&B he was staying at and the next thing he said he could hear what he thought was Northern Soul somewhere in the distance. He used to got to Wigan he said and had been out of the scene for years. He stayed and had a drink with us and seemed completely awestruck to come across a couple of teenage drunks dancing around outdoors to music he grew up with. He gave me his address to send him a tape. I hope he got it as his handwriting was so bad I could barely copy the address.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Not as 'exotic' as some of the locations mentioned.....but Barclays bank have just played 'Sliced Tomatoes' for me while I was on hold.....made me smile

I've got one even less exotic. Frank Wilson when I was in the dentist's chair on Monday. Think it was on R2 on in the background. I thought I was getting used to hearing Northern 'out' in the mainstream nowadays, but I was so surprised, I inadvertently said "Oh sh**t!' Luckily, the mouthful of dental instruments muffled my most unladylike (and of course, atypical) response.

Social source share

Was in HOBBS in York town centre yesterday just browsimg thru their beautiful clothes that I coudnt

afford when up pops GIRL ACROSS THE STREET/MOSES SMITH.Perked me up so much I ended up buying some vurry nice shoes in sale from £90 down to £44.Went back in again about half hour later and SKI-ING IN THE SNOW  was on so made a hasty retreat this time and saved a few quid as well cos I did have my eye on another bargain.

Soo

Social source share

Guest CaroleC

Steve and I also heard this in a bar in Amsterdam. The next morning we went to the flea market and at the front of the first box of records he looked at the Lou Rawls album which included this track was at the front, spooky!

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Walking past the bars and restaurants in Mojacar Playa when I heard the wonderful intro to Heaven Must Have Sent You - The Elgins which was one of my first faves way back in the early 70`s.

Hung around for the next track but it was shite.

The following night in a restaurant heard Moonlight Music and You mixed in with another load of shite, who puts these tapes together I wonder.

Still nice to hear something you can sing along to.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Beat this: Pre-match music at Grantham Town Football Club April 2007. Solid 45 mins of Northern Soul.. they still lost!

Marks & Spencers , Fargate , Sheffield , this lunchtime .....

Bobby Hebb - Sunny .....

Then ....

Nothing .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Couple of months ago at an indie club in Birmingham. Out on a mates stag do and the club is heaving, playing Oasis, Arctic Monkeys etc so as I wonder off to the toilets past the second dance floor where earlier they had been playing some bizarre acid jazz stuff and all of a sudden Thelma Jones - The House That Jack Built comes on followed by about another 10 northern records! Best 30 minutes of the night!!

Social source share

You in the ladies underwear section again Malc ? :lol:

Yes , as a matter of fact my dear chap , I was .....

I was giving my better half my opinion on a piece of attire that she was looking at .....

That vest will keep her back warm during the winter months ..... :ohmy:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!