Promoters...have You Considered This

About a year ago I promoted a soul night in my local town. This attracted 50+ soulies,however as this was a hotel there was a strict no smoking policy. This disrupted the room as the smoking area outside was across the dance floor, leading to a situation of patrons coming back and forth all night.

With the new smoking laws in force very soon, small promoters can expect the same. ALSO if using the entrance to go "have a fag" the door man will be constantly asking for confirmation the punter has paid. A stamp on the back of the hand probably the quickest way to identify.

Will the promoter be the person responsible to ensure the no smoking rules are adhered to as after all he has hired the room, or is it the responsibility of the landlord etc...

COULD THIS BE THE END OF ANY SORT OF ATMOSPHERE AT SMALL VENUES

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

About a year ago I promoted a soul night in my local town. This attracted 50+ soulies,however as this was a hotel there was a strict no smoking policy. This disrupted the room as the smoking area outside was across the dance floor, leading to a situation of patrons coming back and forth all night.

With the new smoking laws in force very soon, small promoters can expect the same. ALSO if using the entrance to go "have a fag" the door man will be constantly asking for confirmation the punter has paid. A stamp on the back of the hand probably the quickest way to identify.

Will the promoter be the person responsible to ensure the no smoking rules are adhered to as after all he has hired the room, or is it the responsibility of the landlord etc...

I'm wondering how the larger busier venues are going to 'police' it, stoke, prestatyn, blackburn KGH, etc how many on the street at any given time? the doormen are really gonna have their work cut out methinks! Not to mention the local Police,

These events must have a plan in place but nevertheless it will be interesting..........

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

The ban has been in place in Wales since April this year. We've had 3 events at Broughton where smoking has not been allowed inside the venue. People have accepted the new law well and our soul nights don't seem to have suffered as a consequence.

Sure there is a bit of a stream of smokers going out and coming back in, but there have been no complaints. I rather suspect that most of the smokers actually get through fewer fags in the night because of the 'inconvenience' of having to make a special trip out of the building for a ciggie.

One or two people have lit up inside - but these were travellers from England who were either unaware of the earlier ban in Wales or thought that Broughton, being so close to the border, was in England. Anyway, once explained to them it was not a problem. Everyone seems to have adopted a mature and grown up attitude to the new requirements.

Brian :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

At the greatstone the entrance is being changed to the old entrance and the owner has put up an awning and built a small smoking area outside away from the entrance so all we probably will need is some sort of stamp or smoking card that you give as person goes out and hands back whenthey come in this could stop people trying to get in without paying, i will have to have a think on this.

it will make it nicer for me as i have never smoked, so wont come home smellling of stale smoke.

mark

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

the smoking ban is good thing who cares if some venue go at the end of the day i've had to put up with it for the last 40 odd years what your problem

Social source share

One or two people have lit up inside - but these were travellers from England who were either unaware of the earlier ban in Wales or thought that Broughton, being so close to the border, was in England.

I thought it was in England! :D

...I can add yet another country to my 'places I've played' :yes:

I've been through the smoking ban years ago in Australia. I think I've said it before, but basically - people will pop outside lots at first. After a while, many quite because it gets so annoying to leave the table at a restaurant, etc. Early on, venues will risk losing people to the outside (it was dreadful at one particular venue), but real soulies always chose the venue over the social group that collects outside. If you are worried, then make sure that you can't hear the music outside, so they don't stay out there :sweatingbullets:

In anticipation of this new law, we made our next do in Thorne a daytime and night event. We will do our very best to get sounds pumping outside during the day. This gives the smokers a chance to feel 'normal' again. Hoepfully, the weather and equipment will fall into place on the day.

Personally, I'm gagging for the new law :thumbsup: . My asthma struggled again, when I moved over here.

m

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

us non smokers have had to make a choice to go to to venues in the past where there are smokers we chose to go now it's the turn of the smoker if you don't like non smoking venues pub restaurants etc then stay in your own homes killing yourself unfortunately for you now have no other choice

ROLL ON SUNDAY

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

I must admit that as the first Guest DJ of the smoking ban at York Soul Club on 7th July, this is something of an unknown.

Hopefully it won't have an effect but its a bit of a worry that half the people will be sitting outside smoking whilst listening to the music inside.

Have to wait and see I think.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

us non smokers have had to make a choice to go to to venues in the past where there are smokers we chose to go now it's the turn of the smoker if you don't like non smoking venues pub restaurants etc then stay in your own homes killing yourself unfortunately for you now have no other choice

ROLL UP SUNDAY

:sweatingbullets::thumbsup::D

Social source share

Guest Mart B

:sweatingbullets: OK. You win for now.

I hope that sitting on my discarded nicotine patches doesn't ruin your threads!

- And don't inhale the snuff that I'll be sprinkling on the dancefloor :no:

Ha, just thought what GFM might stand for MATE ! :D

For you smokers looks like snuffs not to be sniffed at :yes: .You will get hooked.....has a xminer and a non smoker.... snuff and chewing tobacco was the real deal amongst miners and was addictive :thumbsup: .... are these banned in public places i wonder?if not a spittoon is required for the tobacco chewer.

Social source share

The ban has been in place in Wales since April this year. We've had 3 events at Broughton where smoking has not been allowed inside the venue. People have accepted the new law well and our soul nights don't seem to have suffered as a consequence.

Sure there is a bit of a stream of smokers going out and coming back in, but there have been no complaints. I rather suspect that most of the smokers actually get through fewer fags in the night because of the 'inconvenience' of having to make a special trip out of the building for a ciggie.

One or two people have lit up inside - but these were travellers from England who were either unaware of the earlier ban in Wales or thought that Broughton, being so close to the border, was in England. Anyway, once explained to them it was not a problem. Everyone seems to have adopted a mature and grown up attitude to the new requirements.

Brian :sweatingbullets:

I bet Soul Sam loves the smoke free venues too! :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I bet Soul Sam loves the smoke free venues too! :lol::lol:

Steve

He's delighted!! Frequently used to complain of laryngitis as a result of inhaling others outputs. Thankfully I hope I won't now be offered so frequently the opportunity to look into his mouth to check that it's nothing more serious than a sore throat. :yes:

But seriously he did suffer quite considerably, and regularly, with quite bad sore throats.

Brian :thumbsup:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest gibber

I must admit that as the first Guest DJ of the smoking ban at York Soul Club on 7th July, this is something of an unknown.

Hopefully it won't have an effect but its a bit of a worry that half the people will be sitting outside smoking whilst listening to the music inside.

Have to wait and see I think.

Cheers

Paul

The LEL Club have erected an open ended marquee with no permanent fixing for smokers out side the club with external speakers pumping the music into the area . As it's a industrial area there's no problem with noise for local house holds.

So no excuse for missing someone's spot.

Could be a bit nippy in winter though :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks for that...cheque from Leon and myself in the post!! :thumbsup:

Are you guys out and about in Gloucester later Hippo? I will be up with a couple of Dursley lads. looking forward to it.

Social source share

Guest kelvinx

Does the smoking ban come in at midnight on Saturday night?

In other words could you spark up at 23.59 but after midnight be commiting an offence?

It could make for interesting policing at any venues that continue after midnight this weekend...

Social source share

Does the smoking ban come in at midnight on Saturday night?

In other words could you spark up at 23.59 but after midnight be commiting an offence?

It could make for interesting policing at any venues that continue after midnight this weekend...

No the cut off for parties / clubs is 0600 Hrs on Sunday.

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Are you guys out and about in Gloucester later Hippo? I will be up with a couple of Dursley lads. looking forward to it.

mickey yeah bob cornock doing his venue tonight at all blues rugby club bottom of westgate st should be a good night i can go cus i've got a works do to go to get yourself down to all blues

LEON

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Gloucester FM - top station according to my missus.

YOUR MISSUS IS NO WRONG THERE A CHEQUE IN THE POST :lol:

BY THE WAY ONLY 36 HRS LEFT :thumbsup:

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

Guest welshruss

I run a small night in N.Wales and have been doing so for 10 months nearly now.I totally agree with Brians comments about smokers.I myself am a smoker,but i have to say it is quite refreshing to walk into a smokefree room !! (note to Brian - bet you didnt know Sue and i have only missed 3 of your nites since you started from day one,do we get a free pass!!)

We dont have a problem with the ban,and to be honest most venues are providing "a shelter" for smokers to "do there bit".

We,re off to the Formby halls tnite,so it will be interesting/or not, to see if there is any smoking allowed there,,,can any one tell me before we go ?

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I run a small night in N.Wales and have been doing so for 10 months nearly now.I totally agree with Brians comments about smokers.I myself am a smoker,but i have to say it is quite refreshing to walk into a smokefree room !! (note to Brian - bet you didnt know Sue and i have only missed 3 of your nites since you started from day one,do we get a free pass!!)

We dont have a problem with the ban,and to be honest most venues are providing "a shelter" for smokers to "do there bit".

We,re off to the Formby halls tnite,so it will be interesting/or not, to see if there is any smoking allowed there,,,can any one tell me before we go ?

Russ

Believe it or not, our soul nite in April (the first one after the ban was introduced) turned out to be a free night as Len (our usual doorman) was going on holiday and there was no one to look after the door. The management decided that the best policy on the night was to let everyone in for free!!

This was obviously one of the only three nights you missed - bad timing or what?

But seriously both Sam and I recognise the tremendous support you and Sue have given us over the past 7 years and the constructive suggestions you've both made about the nights we've had at Broughton.

I'll see what I can do with the management for long term supporters (a spare set of wings might look good on the mantlepiece!!).

Brian

Social source share

Guest welshruss

Brian,

We were there on the free nite................ wings for the mantle piece mmmmmmm may not go down well as i,ve just applied to work in the factory lol lol

But seriously,,,coming from a smoker,it really is good to go into a smokefree environment ( these bloody patches on the arm dont work i can tell you)

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Brian,

We were there on the free nite................ wings for the mantle piece mmmmmmm may not go down well as i,ve just applied to work in the factory lol lol

But seriously,,,coming from a smoker,it really is good to go into a smokefree environment ( these bloody patches on the arm dont work i can tell you)

Don't they go across the mouth? :rolleyes:

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ahh the ban is almost upon us...

In anticipation of this I had quite a lengthy discussion with the management of the Citrus Rooms in Barnsley to see how this would affect the upcoming Stormin Soul allnighters that we would be holding there.

Some good news for promoters - the onus of policing the ban lies with management/owners of the venue. it is them who will be fined for any breach after all.

At our venue there is now a "smokers balcony". an outdoor lounge area with seating/heaters etc. The balcony is up a flight of steps from the main room and so smokers will not have to cross the dancefloor etc and will still be able to hear the music inside (there may even be speakers fitted too)

I think it will be a matter of just learning to adjust and imo i dont think it will throw up too many problems once it becomes standard practice. I have been to venues in Scotland and going outside for a cig was not a big issue at all.

Social source share

The only problem I can see with smokers outside events, is if neighbours complain about noise. The above post states possibly speakers outside or at least still being able to hear the music. If this venue is in a residential area, then this could lead to complaints about noise (music, people talking). This in turn could lead to noise limiters or licences being revoked. How many pubs and clubs have you been to recently, where there's signs saying please respect our neighbours and leave quitely? This is just an observation about possibly another thing promoters, club owners will have to take into consideration.

Also stated is that the onus is on the club owner/management to police the ban. But if promoters don't assist them, how long before venues are lost because of club owners/managers being fined?

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

The only problem I can see with smokers outside events, is if neighbours complain about noise. The above post states possibly speakers outside or at least still being able to hear the music. If this venue is in a residential area, then this could lead to complaints about noise (music, people talking). This in turn could lead to noise limiters or licences being revoked. How many pubs and clubs have you been to recently, where there's signs saying please respect our neighbours and leave quitely? This is just an observation about possibly another thing promoters, club owners will have to take into consideration.

Also stated is that the onus is on the club owner/management to police the ban. But if promoters don't assist them, how long before venues are lost because of club owners/managers being fined?

I think it goes without saying promoters would assist the venue in upholding the ban. I myself would revoke anyones membership if they consistantly showed disregard for the ban, especially when there has been so much cost and planning involved in making comfortable surroundings for the provision of smoking at my venue. However, the burden ultimately lies with security/venue staff. But remember, we are all mature adults (well most of us :thumbsup: ) and I don't think we all need telling off and constant supervision. I believe that in a few weeks, the ban (at niters/soul nites) should police itself.

As for noise complaints, the balcony in question is very private and does not face out onto any public street and is not visible from outside the building. There are tables and chairs and it is more like an "open-top" room than anything else.The venue is not in a residential area so feel free to make as much noise as you want lol :lol:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

whos going to be the first dj to get the "smoking dj title" (when he or she comes on every one goes out side for a smoke) :D

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

one hour and fifteen minutes !

Dave now that were 9 1/2 hours into the ban how you going on i know you like your roll ups

just been to the local for a couple before lunch and just got home and for a change i don't Small of stale tobacco there is a god

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!