Ace February Releases

Mike

Kolla has already highlighted the new release 6T'S: RHYTHM 'N' SOUL SOCIETY / In The Beginning

read here

here's the list of all the new releases from ace records for Feb 2005

New Releases for FEBRUARY 2005

from Ace Records

6T'S: RHYTHM 'N' SOUL SOCIETY / In The Beginning - KENT - CDKEND 239

Nostalgia can hurt. I've just been watching "A Hard Day's Night" with my 16 year old daughter for the first time since I saw it at Derby Gaumont in 1964. It's brought back the thrills and possibilities of life that it revealed to me as an eleven year old boy; but it's also left a dull pain in my soul. Whether it's regret at being unable to relive those vital times, or the mistakes and missed chances that have passed since then, I can't tell; but it's a bittersweet sensation. more

ANDY SMITH'S NORTHERN SOUL - BGP - CDBGPD 165

So, why is DJ Andy Smith putting out a Northern Soul mix? Well, that's what a lot of people ask me and the answer would have to be that - it's fantastic music that I've been collecting for a long time. People that go to my gigs will know that I like to include Northern Soul in my regular DJ sets and this is a project that I've wanted to do for a while (along with the Northern Soul night that I am currently running at the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town, London). After having touched on it on my last official mix CD, "The Document 2" (containing Can I Get A Witness by Barbara Randolph and Boogaloo #3 by Roy Lee Johnson & the Villagers), I figured it was time to go the whole way, and thanks to Adrian Gibson at the Jazz Caf and Dean Rudland at Ace Records, it's come to fruition. more

CHUCK JACKSON & MAXINE BROWN / Saying Something / Hold On, We're Coming - KENT - CDKEND 241

Chuck Jackson and Maxine Brown are two of the most cherished artists in 60s soul music, synonymous with quality and distinction throughout all phases of their lengthy careers. Their recordings for Scepter's Wand subsidiary are the ones that collectors of real soul treasure most. (Here's something to think about - Chuck and Maxine's biggest Wand sides have now been available on Kent for longer than they were available on Wand!) more

LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS / The Best Of Lightnin' Hopkins - PRESTIGE - PRCD 5711

Back in the 1940s and 1950s Houston's Third Ward was the epicentre of that city's thriving Blues scene. Streets like Dowling, Lyons and Erastus are forever etched into R&B history as being the focal point of the great music that came out of South East Texas. These are the streets where such arch exponents of Texas blues as Smokey Hogg and Lightnin' Hopkins plied their trade, and it was the music created in and around those streets nearly 60 years ago that permanently put Houston on the map as one of the most important blues cities anywhere in the USA. more

CENTRAL ROCKS! The Central Avenue Scene 1951-58 Vol 2 - ACE - CDCHD 1037

One of the greatest pleasures I have as an Ace A&R person is the researching of the acetates and tapes of the many West Coast-based R&B labels that Ace has acquired down the years. I'm always keen to build on the solid foundation of Ray Topping's pioneering vinyl compilations from the 1980s, and thankfully the depth and breadth of repertoire Ace now owns, across labels like Dootone, RIH, Combo, Money, Cash, Blue, Modern, RPM, Flair and more, gives me plenty of scope to do just that. more

LENNY BRUCE / Thank You Masked Man - FANTASY - FCD 7716

The arch comedic anarchist Lenny Bruce, was a brilliant thorn in the side of everything complacent in suburban America in the 1950s and 1960s. Satire didn't know what had hit it when Bruce exploded onto the club scene, delighting and shocking audiences. In the process he upset the straight Jewish community, the Catholics, corporate America, Mr and Mrs Mom and Pop, the new TV generation, even the established jazz impresarios came under his fire. more

KENNETH REXROTH & LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI / Poetry Readings In The Cellar - FANTASY - FCD 7717

During the spring of 1957 a series of fascinating experiments took place in San Francisco. The scene was the Cellar, a downstairs nightclub that used to be a Chinese restaurant. The experiment was an attempt to meld the twin forms of modern expression - jazz and poetry. The participants were two San Francisco poets - KENNETH REXROTH, widely known for some years as a translator, poet, and commentator on the social scene and LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI, a modern poet of considerable stature who operates a publishing house and a bookstore - and a group of jazz musicians. You can almost touch the Beat coolness of it all. more

CYBOTRON / Motor City Machine Music: An Exploration Of Cybotron - BGP - CDBGPD 167

Techno wasn't the first music to utilise electronics. Drum machines and synths had been used by artists such as Sly Stone, Giorgio Moroder, Sun Ra and Miles Davis, as well as this emerging music's most obvious antecedents, Kraftwerk. But as technology shrunk and became more affordable, thus allowing home studios to flourish on a wider scale, the machines started to generate more music than ever before. more

JOAN BAEZ /The Best Of The Vanguard Years - VANGUARD - VMD 74000

"The Best Of Joan Baez" showcases the major female American song interpreter of the 1960s and 70s with some of her best known performances, including songs by Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, the Beatles and Kris Kristofferson plus the hit singles There But For Fortune and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. more

PERREY-KINGSLEY / The In Sound From Way Out! - VANGUARD - VMD 79222

Subtitled "Electronic Pop Music of the Future", this 1966 recording will either be the hippest or most irritating recording you'll hear all year: it all depends on how open you are to the experimental 'pop' (rather than 'rock') music of the 60s. If you have a soft spot for Austin Powers, still cannot part with that vinyl copy of Elektra's "Cosmic Sounds" or came to Jean Jacques Perrey's recording E.V.A. when it was a big club hit (and DJ's delight - check out the Fatboy Slim remixes, EVA 001), then go with the flow and enjoy the ride. more

BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE / It's My Way! - VANGUARD - VMD 79142

IT'S MY WAY! was the 1964 dbut recording by Cree singer-songwriter BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE and contains three of her greatest songs -Now That The Buffalo's Gone, Cod'ine (covered by 60s groups The Charlatans and Quicksilver Messenger Service) and The Universal Soldier (made a hit by Donovan). Backed only by her own guitar (Patrick Sky lends a second guitar on He Lived Alone In Town and jazzman Art Davis the bass on Now That The Buffalo's Gone), this is Buffy's least instrumentally cluttered album ... more

DOC WATSON IN NASHVILLE: Good Deal! - VANGUARD - VMD 79276

The Deep Gap, Carolina, guitar genius DOC WATSON made his eponymous solo debut for Vanguard and went on to become the most famous old-time music and acoustic country musician of them all. His effortless guitar flatpicking of fiddle tunes - check out Blackberry Rag - has made a major contribution to bluegrass and associated music styles and acted as an important direct influence on the approach of guitarists like Clarence White and Dan Crary. Doc's relaxed, bluesy, Delmore Brothers-influenced singing and outstanding guitar picking... more

JOHN HAMMOND / At The Crossroads - VANGUARD - VMD 79751

JOHN HAMMOND is the son of the late, great record producer John Hammond, the man who recorded everyone from Bessie Smith to Bob Dylan, Billie Holiday to Bruce Springsteen. In the 1930s, Hammond Snr tried to bring the Delta bluesman Robert Johnson to New York for the Spirituals To Swing concerts but Johnson had passed away months earlier. Johnson's legacy was among the many recordings played in the house during Hammond Jnr's childhood and the music stuck with him. more

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!