Alamo

Me-o Record Label

Hi All,

The ME-O Record label which the Tootsie Rollers recorded 'Give Me Love' on. Anyone know which US city it came out of. Seems to be alot of speculation but no fact?

Anyone got a definite answer please?

Thanks in advance - Alamo

well it's definately not Detroit like many think or thought. We discussed this label on the RSF and it's either Ohio or West Virginia somewhere, can't remember off top of me head :sweatingbullets:

1001 Richard Wright & The Star-Vells Give Your Love To Me You Mean So Much To Me

1002 Martineques If You Want To Call Me My Baby She Can't Dance

1005 Tootsie Rollers Give Me Love Mary

222 Joey Dee Your Love I Got To Have You

I can't help thinking there must be some tie up with L.A., because my Martineques & Richard Wright came from there on seperate occasions, infact i'll need to check back but i'm sure that's where my Tootsie Rollers came from, via ebay. Perhaps it was just a strange coincidence, but it does make me wonder.

I can't help thinking there must be some tie up with L.A., because my Martineques & Richard Wright came from there on seperate occasions, infact i'll need to check back but i'm sure that's where my Tootsie Rollers came from, via ebay. Perhaps it was just a strange coincidence, but it does make me wonder.

my copy came from chorlton in manchester :sweatingbullets:

mark

I thought or was told either Pennsylvania or Pittsburg but the time we discussed it on RSF it was said West Virginia based and someone else said they thought Ohio :sweatingbullets: .

Edited by chalky

Ah, hang on a minute, they've all got that small capital "H" in the deadwax. I did work out where that was from once, now wish i'd written it down.

Has anyone got an issue of the Martineques in their collection?

Ah, hang on a minute, they've all got that small capital "H" in the deadwax. I did work out where that was from once, now wish i'd written it down.

Isn't the H for Hollywood, RCA press :sweatingbullets:

which is rarer, issue or white demo

Isn't the H for Hollywood, RCA press :sweatingbullets:

I think that was it Chalky, I know it was a link to a big company.

So, looks like you've answered Alamo's question.

Re what's rarer, issue or demo of Martineques, I dont know. Mines a white demo. What has everyone else got?

Re what's rarer, issue or demo of Martineques, I dont know. Mines a white demo. What has everyone else got?

white demo, and im hoping hundreds of people dont reply saying " mines a white demo"

i thought this was rare :sweatingbullets:

got my doubts still and gonna need some convincing it's a west coast label.

I just give that Richard Wright a play, forgot what it sounded like, that's not bad is it. Dancer one side & fantastic soul t'other.

Is this rare ? Dont remember seeing it about ?

post-2021-1183052799_thumb.jpg

Purple issue and although it's years since I've seen my mate in LA's copy, Im reasonably sure his was gold coloured!!

ROD

Hello Rod,

Have you got an issue your self ? or you know someone that has one?

Regards,

pottsy

ISNT THIS A PITTSBURG LOGO ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS AND READ SOMEWHERE A WHILE BACK IT WAS?

BAZ A.

I thought that originally till thrown towards WV.

Deadwax details anyone?????

I thought that originally till thrown towards WV.

Deadwax details anyone?????

only thing in deadwax is - M.1002.A with a H directly opposite on same side

shep :thumbsup:

Had a long interesting talk about this subject with Kev Fev last night, regarding where the ME-O label was from. Facts point towards it being a West Coast label.

Take Richard Wright & the STAR-VELLS on ME-O, produced by RoMEO Taylor. Romeo Taylor had a record - Romeo Taylor & THE STAR-VELLS -Will you come back my love - Celestial (West Coast label). Also it was released as a different version (by him?) singing as the Originals on Associated Artists (West Coast label).

Does look like it could be Romeo Taylors label.

But what ever way you cut it, facts point towards LA.

An interesting point Kev raised, who's Tootsie Rollers ? Thurman Hollis ? Anyone know ?

Edited by pottsy

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

• 234 posts
    • 11687 reads
    • Peter99
    • 25 May 2018
    • 9 posts
    • 529 reads
    • GruveRecords
    • 17 May 2018
    • 12 posts
    • 835 reads
    • Ahoy Sailor
    • 11 May 2018
    • 34 posts
    • 2363 reads
    • Spain pete
    • 08 May 2018
    • 3 posts
    • 398 reads
    • Mike Lofthouse
    • 02 May 2018
    • 12 posts
    • 577 reads
    • Baz Atkinson
    • 30 Apr 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 414 reads
    • SoulfulSolutions
    • 28 Apr 2018

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.