The Me-o Label

Message added by Mike

Have just merged the two running topics on this label into one topic (this one)

just so aware 👍

Has anyone got any info on the ME-O label, where it was based, etc. Also, i know of 3 records on the label, does anyone know of any others? The 3 i know are:-

1001. RICHARD WRIGHT and the STAR-VELLS.

1002. THE MARTINEQUES.

1005. TOOTSIE ROLLERS.

Thanks in advance..pottsy :thumbsup:

Social source share

this was on soulful detroit a while back ady. think the consensus was west virginia (label) but not necessarily acts. someone said the martineques were from detroit (think actually a band member).

as for discog, sorry mate can't help there :thumbsup:

Social source share

this was on soulful detroit a while back ady. think the consensus was west virginia (label) but not necessarily acts. someone said the martineques were from detroit (think actually a band member).

as for discog, sorry mate can't help there :D

Thanks Dan,

I'll have a look at what's been said on soulful detroit, nice one :thumbsup:

I was starting to wonder if there was some link with the label & Los Angeles, as i found 2 of the 3 records there, but that looks like it was just a chance thing.

Cheers mate...pottsy

Social source share

Has anyone got any info on the ME-O label, where it was based, etc. Also, i know of 3 records on the label, does anyone know of any others? The 3 i know are:-

1001. RICHARD WRIGHT and the STAR-VELLS.

1002. THE MARTINEQUES.

1005. TOOTSIE ROLLERS.

Thanks in advance..pottsy :thumbsup:

Hi Pottsy I had the Martineques on a white demo off Neil Brown.....for about a year until it went back to him...he may still have it and therefore label details,which unfortunately I cannot recall :D I know you know him so may be worth a shot :D ATB Steve
Social source share

Hi Pottsy I had the Martineques on a white demo off Neil Brown.....for about a year until it went back to him...he may still have it and therefore label details,which unfortunately I cannot recall :thumbsup: I know you know him so may be worth a shot :D ATB Steve

Hello Steve,

There's no clues on the record, as with a lot of these little labels, there's not even a telephone number.

Cheers...pottsy

Social source share

Pottsy, do u want details of Martineques or do u have 45. I have it if u need info. As far as I know they are the Detroit group and some of the members went on to become Royal Jokers of Wingate fame. Have a look at that Soulful Detroit forum for info

https://www.soulfuldetroit.com/forum/

Hi Rod ,I thought you stated "as a guardian reader".............whom doesn't read a thread fully.Orange issues tho'...........P.S.How much for the Martineques thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Rod ,I thought you stated "as a guardian reader".............whom doesn't read a thread fully.Orange issues tho'...........P.S.How much for the Martineques thumbsup.gif

Hello "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", what have I not read fully? I am trying to read this site,scan Ebay, and finish the crossword at the same time,altho now hooked on the Soduko as well but that's pretty easy.

Not selling Martineques but mine is purple not orange. My mate in LA's is gold which was first copy I ever saw back in 1980's

I can't tell from Pottsy's post whether he has the 45 or not and you know how helpful and affable I am!!!!

ROD

Social source share

Pottsy, do u want details of Martineques or do u have 45. I have it if u need info. As far as I know they are the Detroit group and some of the members went on to become Royal Jokers of Wingate fame. Have a look at that Soulful Detroit forum for info

Hello Rod,

Thanks for your reply. I do have the Martineques but only as a white demo, that issue you have sounds nice, that's the same colour as the Richard Wright i have. Didn't know it came out on a gold issue as well swoon.gif

Looks like the other numbers on the label are yet to show up then.

I did have a look on soulfuldetroit but can't find it, can you remember what heading it was under?

Regards..pottsy

Social source share

Hello "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", what have I not read fully? I am trying to read this site,scan Ebay, and finish the crossword at the same time,altho now hooked on the Soduko as well but that's pretty easy.

Not selling Martineques but mine is purple not orange. My mate in LA's is gold which was first copy I ever saw back in 1980's

I can't tell from Pottsy's post whether he has the 45 or not and you know how helpful and affable I am!!!!

ROD

swoon.gifunsure.gifph34r.gif

Social source share

Hello Rod,

Thanks for your reply. I do have the Martineques but only as a white demo, that issue you have sounds nice, that's the same colour as the Richard Wright i have. Didn't know it came out on a gold issue as well swoon.gif

Looks like the other numbers on the label are yet to show up then.

I did have a look on soulfuldetroit but can't find it, can you remember what heading it was under?

Regards..pottsy

Hello Ady

Trust you are well mate. Got reference to another one for you but the numbers a bit strange

Joey Dee's - Your love/I got to have you - Me-O 222

Hope this helps

Dazz

Social source share

Hello Ady

Trust you are well mate. Got reference to another one for you but the numbers a bit strange

Joey Dee's - Your love/I got to have you - Me-O 222

Hope this helps

Dazz

Hello Dazz!

Good to hear from you again.

What's this Joey Dee's like, slowie, fast, is there a group backing? Label colour?

Regards..Ady

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Hi Pottsy I had the Martineques on a white demo off Neil Brown.....for about a year until it went back to him...he may still have it and therefore label details,which unfortunately I cannot recall laugh.gif I know you know him so may be worth a shot biggrin.gif ATB Steve
Tooties Rollers, remember Mark Bicknell spinning this back in the late 80's early 90's, when we put up with him being a resident in North Wales, picked up a copy around the same time for about $40 off Craig Moerer, goes for a bit more than this now. thumbsup.gif
Social source share

Tooties Rollers, remember Mark Bicknell spinning this back in the late 80's early 90's, when we put up with him being a resident in North Wales, picked up a copy around the same time for about $40 off Craig Moerer, goes for a bit more than this now. thumbsup.gif

Old Silky Hargreaves cover up mid 80's. Probably why many at first assumed it was Detroit.

Social source share

Tooties Rollers, remember Mark Bicknell spinning this back in the late 80's early 90's, when we put up with him being a resident in North Wales, picked up a copy around the same time for about $40 off Craig Moerer, goes for a bit more than this now. :shades:
iam fairly sure george sharp played this 1st at tony,s when it was a soultown promotion
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

The ME-O Record label which the Tootsie Rollers recorded 'Give Me Love' on. Anyone know which US city it came out of. Seems to be alot of speculation but no fact?

Anyone got a definite answer please?

Thanks in advance - Alamo

Social source share

well it's definately not Detroit like many think or thought. We discussed this label on the RSF and it's either Ohio or West Virginia somewhere, can't remember off top of me head :sweatingbullets:

1001 Richard Wright & The Star-Vells Give Your Love To Me You Mean So Much To Me

1002 Martineques If You Want To Call Me My Baby She Can't Dance

1005 Tootsie Rollers Give Me Love Mary

222 Joey Dee Your Love I Got To Have You

Social source share

I can't help thinking there must be some tie up with L.A., because my Martineques & Richard Wright came from there on seperate occasions, infact i'll need to check back but i'm sure that's where my Tootsie Rollers came from, via ebay. Perhaps it was just a strange coincidence, but it does make me wonder.

Social source share

I can't help thinking there must be some tie up with L.A., because my Martineques & Richard Wright came from there on seperate occasions, infact i'll need to check back but i'm sure that's where my Tootsie Rollers came from, via ebay. Perhaps it was just a strange coincidence, but it does make me wonder.

my copy came from chorlton in manchester :sweatingbullets:

mark

Social source share

I thought or was told either Pennsylvania or Pittsburg but the time we discussed it on RSF it was said West Virginia based and someone else said they thought Ohio :sweatingbullets: .

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Ah, hang on a minute, they've all got that small capital "H" in the deadwax. I did work out where that was from once, now wish i'd written it down.

Has anyone got an issue of the Martineques in their collection?

Isn't the H for Hollywood, RCA press :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

which is rarer, issue or white demo

Ah, hang on a minute, they've all got that small capital "H" in the deadwax. I did work out where that was from once, now wish i'd written it down.

Has anyone got an issue of the Martineques in their collection?

Social source share

Isn't the H for Hollywood, RCA press :sweatingbullets:

I think that was it Chalky, I know it was a link to a big company.

So, looks like you've answered Alamo's question.

Re what's rarer, issue or demo of Martineques, I dont know. Mines a white demo. What has everyone else got?

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

Re what's rarer, issue or demo of Martineques, I dont know. Mines a white demo. What has everyone else got?

white demo, and im hoping hundreds of people dont reply saying " mines a white demo"

i thought this was rare :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

got my doubts still and gonna need some convincing it's a west coast label.

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

I thought that originally till thrown towards WV.

Deadwax details anyone?????

only thing in deadwax is - M.1002.A with a H directly opposite on same side

shep :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Had a long interesting talk about this subject with Kev Fev last night, regarding where the ME-O label was from. Facts point towards it being a West Coast label.

Take Richard Wright & the STAR-VELLS on ME-O, produced by RoMEO Taylor. Romeo Taylor had a record - Romeo Taylor & THE STAR-VELLS -Will you come back my love - Celestial (West Coast label). Also it was released as a different version (by him?) singing as the Originals on Associated Artists (West Coast label).

Does look like it could be Romeo Taylors label.

But what ever way you cut it, facts point towards LA.

An interesting point Kev raised, who's Tootsie Rollers ? Thurman Hollis ? Anyone know ?

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

• 11 years later...

We had another thread here on Soul-Source going into a lot of depth on this discussion.  I'll repeat what I know.  The Martiniques on ME-O are the very same Detroit group that recorded for Detroit's Danceland Records, who were led mainly by Herschel Hunter (brother of Ty Hunter), who also was the lead singer of Detroit's Moments, who recorded for Herman Griffin at Hit Records.  Romeo Taylor was originally from Detroit, but moved to L.A. in 1965.  Then, he bounced between the two cities.  That was told to me by my friend, Ron Murphy (Detroit producer and record masterer), and corroborated by a few other Detroiters on the thread to which Rod referred.  I participated in that thread.  We theorised that Taylor recorded at least The Martiniques' vocals in Detroit, and probably The Tootsie Rollers' too, and possibly the background tracks for both records, as well.  I had a discussion of this situation with a poster claiming to be the son of one of The Martiniques' members, who told me that the group never went to L.A., and shockingly, his father told him  that they never heard of Thurman Hollis (who was given credit for co-producing the session, with Romeo Taylor, and getting credit for co-writing the songs).  His father told him that the group members had written the song, and that a different producer (a family member?) had produced the session.  I think I remember him saying that his father didn't know their recordings had been released until someone showed him the record, a few years after the session (making my theory that it was recorded in 1965, and not released until 1967 or 1968, very plausible).

To me, The Martiniques' and Tootsie Rollers' cuts sound like they were recorded in Detroit.  ALL the ME-O pressings I've seen look like L.A. pressing plant pressings and L.A. late '60s label designs.

We surmised that Romeo Taylor recorded those 2 groups in Detroit in 1965, and took the masters with him to L.A.  He started The ME-O label in L.A., and made other recordings there, including Richard Wright and The Star-Vells (who I believe were L.A. artists.  I bought The Martiniques in L.A. during the late '60s, and saw whole boxes of it at Record Merchandising (distributors).   I have no idea why some people connect the label with West Virginia.   As far as I remember, Thurman Hollis was a Detroiter, and worked with The Falcons on Big Wheel Records, and is somehow related to Sandy Hollis, who recorded for that label.  I think I've seen his name on a couple other Detroit labels.  No one I talked to from Detroit remembered The Tootsie Rollers being local to Detroit.  And the record never showed up there.  But, I still believe it was recorded there.  Both that recording and The Martiniques' sound like Detroit recordings from 1965.  I don't believe that The Martiniques were still together even in 1967.  I think they broke up some time in 1966.

I've heard the Romeo Taylor and The Star-Vells on Celestial (L.A. label), and Richard Wright and The Star-Vells on ME-O, and both sound classically like L.A. recordings. I know I've seen The Romeo Taylor and The Star-Vells' Celestial record many times, and seen several  Richard Wright records on small L.A. labels.  I'm sure he was an L.A. artist, who appeared on the local nightclub circuit.  I'm sure I've seen his name on venue posters/billboards down in South L.A. back in the mid-late '60s, and early '70s.  I wonder if he was related to Charles Wright, or Arthur Wright?

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 30/03/2006 at 09:57, modernsoulsucks said:

From what I remember, The Martiniques broke up in 1966.  I DOUBT that they moved on to become The Royal Jokers on Wingate.  Perhaps ONE of them joined The Royal Jokers.  That group was an on-going local institution in Detroit, starting when they formed in the early 1950s, with falsetto lead, Willie Jones singing like Clyde McPhatter.  They had some national hits, but were ALWAYS one the the most popular local groups, all the way through at least the mid 1960s (which included their Wingate release's period-through 1966.  It was my understanding that The Wingate group was descended from the earlier group without any mass change, such as happened with The Drifters and The Falcons, but with only individual new members when one member left the group.  Long-time  lead singer, Willie Jones was still with The Royal Jokers on their Wingate cuts.  But, at least most of the former members must have still been with the group.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Royal Jokers 

On Metro & Keldon: Willie Jones, Noah Howell, Ted Green, Billy Lyons & Raymond Dorsey.

On Fortune & Wingate: Willie Jones, Noah Howell, Billy Lyons & Raymond Dorsey.

There is mention of all the members previous groups but no mention of the Martineques.

Social source share

14 hours ago, RobbK said:

Romeo Taylor was originally from Detroit, but moved to L.A. in 1965. 

Taylor was actually from Toledo, Ohio, and like many Toledo acts he did most of his studio work in Detroit. His move to Los Angeles in the mid-60s resulted in most of the records with his name on them, beginning with the R.T. & The Pot Lickers 45 on Hooks. It's safe to assume that the Me-O artists are mostly Los Angeles-based acts, but with Taylor shuttling production between LA and Detroit/Toledo. Taylor also had his hand in writing the Originals 45 on Associated Artists 1464, again a Los Angeles release. As far as I know, Romeo Taylor is still alive and well, as a friend interviewed him recently regarding his career.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Taylor was actually from Toledo, Ohio, and like many Toledo acts he did most of his studio work in Detroit. His move to Los Angeles in the mid-60s resulted in most of the records with his name on them, beginning with the R.T. & The Pot Lickers 45 on Hooks. It's safe to assume that the Me-O artists are mostly Los Angeles-based acts, but with Taylor shuttling production between LA and Detroit/Toledo. Taylor also had his hand in writing the Originals 45 on Associated Artists 1464, again a Los Angeles release. As far as I know, Romeo Taylor is still alive and well, as a friend interviewed him recently regarding his career.

It’s possible I guess he did Martineques and Tootsie in Detroit before the move but pressed in LA after he moved?

Social source share

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

It’s possible I guess he did Martineques and Tootsie in Detroit before the move but pressed in LA after he moved?

Not an uncommon occurrence, so that could be the case. Also to consider is that many times the name of the act that appears on a 45 is not the actual performing name a particular group used, so the fact that many Detroit folks have not heard of the Tootsie Rollers or the Martiniques could be caused by that.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

54 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not an uncommon occurrence, so that could be the case. Also to consider is that many times the name of the act that appears on a 45 is not the actual performing name a particular group used, so the fact that many Detroit folks have not heard of the Tootsie Rollers or the Martiniques could be caused by that.

One of the members of the Martineques commented on soulfuldetroit and confirmed they were the same group.  Tootsie sounds more Detroit than many Detroit records :D Wonder who he is?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!