EBAY STORIES ?

grant

• Replies 45
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How a word about those idiots who list records under the northern soul heading which have nothing to do with northern or soul for that matter. Let us also not forget the morons who seem to think that Tainted Love by Ruth Swan is a fantastic and super rare northern item and worthy of at least a £9.99 starting price, and whilst I'm on my high horse can't ebay figure out a filter that will stop cds by M People and the Verve appearing on our part of the listings.

Social source share

A recent e-mail from Henry Atkinsons site Soul45Collector warns us about a certain seller from Belgium under many guises viz. vynilscollectors,gueltonvalerie records, email address always same - bs984223@skynet.be. Records that are paid for (even thru Belgian banks) not recvd, emails ignored. Same chap wearns us about a Colombian colector (stuff like Jackie Day - Naughty Boy for sale!!- was removed from site I believe).

Social source share

I am glad that a lot of the american sellers provide sound bites of stuff they are selling (as Northern Soul!!)as to buy some of these blind would be a bit of a disappointment on receipt !! I too wish they could filter out the Verve, M-People etc. Still, provides hours of fun and disbelief when trawling thru the pages (much to the annoyance of my wife!).

Social source share

Ah, I'm not the only one who has an anti-ebay wife! Some good things (for me any way) - following won on ebay :-

Jackie Follett dj $4, Willows - Outside The City $9, Betty wRIGHT EXPLOSION lP $15, D Wagner LP $10, L W John LP with 'I'm Shakin (King) $12, to name but a few, - few other 45s bought turned up in crappy condition (described as M- !), one LP turned up in 2 halves!! Made good bookends though.

Social source share

ONCE BOUGHT A RECORD FROM A GUY IN FRANCE. RECORD DIDNT ARRIVE, EMAILS WERE IGNORED ETC. DIDNT GET CHANCE TO LEAVE

-VE FEEDBACK. 3 MONTHS LATER IT DID APPEAR IN THE POST SAFE AND SOUND!!

Social source share

The worst thing is peoples record grading..

They just guess at how many +'s or -'s ...... VG+++++ or M------- and then when you buy one thats just Vg off them, all its fit for is the Bin. love to see one of there G------- Wish people would just be honest about the condition of a record..

Last record I bought on there as I've stoped now was, Lew Kirton -- Heaven in the afternoon.. M- when I emailed the seller about the warp in it. "oh I never noticed"

Well thats because you never took it out the paper sleeve and looked at it!!

Social source share

I,ve had some great bargain 45,s off E-Bay last month

a guy mailed me who had seen me bidding on a Mary Saxton

album ,said he was selling his collection and there where 3

Mary Saxton 45,s in there one being the ultra rare

Losing Control on Pace he said if I wanted it it was $60

postage included !!! Well the cash was with SwiftAir

20 minutes later not bad $60 for a 45 worth 4 figures.

Other good bargains Bobby Lee Timberlake--Mirwood $12

Knights--Usa $90 Edward Hamilton--Carrie (orange ) $40

and several more great 45,s at rock bottom prices

only ever had one bad deal that was a Album Lou Courtney-Epic

described as EX came it was Bobbins looked like it had been

used has a tray --Bastard !!!

Kind Regards Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

Things are getting harder with Ebay, but over the past few Years

I have picked up lots of cracking 45s @ great prices :

Timmi Williama Mala $50

Tommy Ridgley Int City $200

Capitals Omen Issue $150

Jimmy Mack Peoples Choice Palmer $300 the pair

3 x Sparkels no more than $100 each

Lou Ragland Amy $100

+ many many more,

lots more people using Ebay so lots more crooks to watch out for the Guy selling the J Day from Columbia also sold a J Beavers on Revilot about 6 months ago, no feed back & cash only. So who in there right mind would send cash $1300 to this guy ??.

Lots of people I know E Mailed him he offered F Beverly Rauser

J D Bryant, Frank Wilson, + many top collectables for $1000 so who could give this Guy any trust ??? beats me.

Using EBay is like buying from the US before the internet was thought about word of mouth counts for everything & if what you

are offered is to good to be true the chances are it is.

But the goods points are that EBay & the internet has opened the world up for sellers to sell to buyers & its not what they list its what they havent that makes the hunting all the better.

Just rember its a game

Regards & xmas greeting Ian

Social source share

My last purchase, a week ago, was a stone Mint copy of "Haunted House" by Jackie Wilson on Brunswick for just $2.99!!!

When I first registered with Ebay three years ago, here's a few of the bargains I was lucky enough to acquire:

JERRY NAYLOR: City Lights (Tower) $25

MICHAEL & RAYMOND: Man Without A Woman (demo RCA) $2.26

RAY SCOTT: Love Piled On Top Of Love (demo Decca) $6; but "lost in post".

RONNIE MILSAP: Total Disaster (Princess) $30

DONALD JENKINS: Somebody Help Me (Cortland) $25

VOLUMES: I Just Can't Help Myself (American Arts Black Demo) $20

ELIOT SMALL: I'm A Devil (ABS) $9

This was in the days before I invested in a PC at home, so I had to bid at work. Unfortunately, I bid $35 on "This Is A Groovy Generation" by Billy Kennedy on Thelma, only to come in next morning to find out that I was outbid and, worse still, it had been won for just $36!! Who was the lucky sunuva.......?

Gene Robertson

Social source share

I've been told there is a programe that you can download and it bids for you automaticly, and beats the last bid in the last few seconds. Don't know if it works. I did have the site address but never looked into it. If I can get it again i'll post it on here.

(Will ring my mate tonight who sent me details before)

Social source share

I cant get my head around that site that bids for you - surely the only way it works is if u are prpepared to pay an unlimited amount, as with ebay you can put the max bid (i.e. the most that you are prepared to pay) in (proxy bids) and wait to see what happens. Either you get it or u dont and yes it is annoying when u loose out for sake of a few cents, but having a site bid for you could result in extortionate prices for goods (not just records) especially if some of the shadier dealers get wind that many people are using the service as you could find you are constantly bidding againast a sellers macker - if u know what i mean.

Sorry, also forgot to log in

GRANT

Social source share

Makes you wonder why US sellers on Ebay don't list the damn things so that the closing times are during the day in the UK/Europe.

I've missed out on loads of stuff by "50 cents" or by an attack of the phantom nightbidders.

Having said that, I was working away from home a couple of years ago and set the alarm clock in my hotel room for 2:30AM so I could top any bas***d who was bidding for a Johnny Moore on Jadan. Sad? Possibly.

Social source share

Guest wrote:

with ebay you can put the max bid (i.e. the most that you are prepared to pay) in (proxy bids) and wait to see what happens. Either you get it or u dont and yes it is annoying when u loose out for sake of a few cents, but having a site bid for you could result in extortionate prices for goods

There may be a flaw in e-bay's bidding system (or maybe a flaw in my thinking but here goes.

You put in a maximum bid of (say $150) for a record that is currently £12.50. The bid is accepted. E-bay shows the latest bid (by you) as $13.50.

I see the same record and think $13.50 - bargain, I'll put in a mximum bid of $70.

Only I can't. It will only allow maximum bids over your maximum of $150.

What's to stop you taking a (potentially very expensive) gamble and putting a maximum bid of $9999999? No-one else would be able to bid and you will only pay $1 more than the last bid.

Note - I only log on to ebay.com (as opposed to ebay.co.uk where it may be different)

Social source share

bozaboy wrote:

I was working away from home a couple of years ago and set the alarm clock in my hotel room for 2:30AM so I could top any bas***d who was bidding for a Johnny Moore on Jadan. Sad? Possibly.

Did you get it?

Social source share

AndyB MAKES A GOOD POINT THERE THAT IF YOU REALLY WANT A RECORD ON EBAY & ARE PREPARED TO PAY A LOT (OBVIOUSLY WITHIN REASON) THEN ENTERING A DAFT FIGURE SUCH AS £999999 THEN U ARE LIKELY TO GET THE ITEM - JUST THAT DANGER OF BEING SUSSED AND BEING PUSHED FAR BEYOND YOUR EXPECTED LIMIT, I STILL STICK WITH PUTTING IN MY MAX BID (I.E. THE MOST I AM PREPARED TO PAY FOR A RECORD, AND LEAVE IT - HAVE A LOOK WHEN BIDDING IS FINISHED = IF YOU WIN IT, YOU WIN IT, IF YOU DONT NEVER MIND, ANOTHER WILL COME ALONG SOMEDAY!OTHERWISE YOU JUST END UP IN A DUTCH AUCTION WITH SOMEONE

Social source share

Not only are you likely to get the item, you will get it for $1 more than the current bid. I agree with you though grant - honesty is the best policy.

Its just that I did exactly the same as bozaboy, stayed up 'til the early hours to bid on an item. Difference is that I didn't get it. I was out bid with about 2 mins to go and no matter how much I upped my bid, it was turned down. I'm assuming that this was because bidpay's proxy bidding system compares your bid with the highest bidders maximum bid (rather than their current bid) and, if its lower, refuses and invites you to bid higher.

Anyone got $9,999,999 lying around to test my theory?

Social source share

Glad you got it.

I almost forgot about your original question. Avoid a dealer called christianartifacts. They seem to be OK with single records but I've had a complete nightmare with "600+ demo records from the 60s & 70s".

And I've belatedly come to realise that I'm not the only one to suffer from this pond life scum in the way that I have.

Its probably out of order for me to post specifics here (what do you think mike-h?) but if you're sufficiently interested, drop me an e-mail and I'll give you the full chapter & verse

Social source share

Same as you I've lost out many times by 50 cents.This week set my alarm for 3.00am to bid on Ray & Dave 'wrong wrong wrong' only to doze back off and miss it by 2mins it went for $12.50 could'nt get back to sleep I was that cheesed off made the mistake of waking the wife to tell her of said disaster her reply is unprintable.I dont think they understand.Only had one bad experience with a tosser in spain,no record no refund wouldn't reply to email he's now been banned from ebay but could turn up under another username.

Social source share

At least they banned him. The scum that ripped me has ripped loads of other people in the same way but still trades.

Guess my wife's more understanding than yours :-)

Social source share

Word of warning to anybody who uses Paypal to buy their goods on ebay. Theres a very credible looking spoof email being sent out which requests you to re-register with Paypal. Wants all information including passwords, bank details etc. Ignore it and inform Paypal if you receive one. Mine came from Poland, but took some detective work to establish this, looked genuine. Warn your friends! These bastards only have to hit lucky and get a response 1% of the time to get rich and cause havoc.

Social source share

Its probably out of order for me to post specifics here (what do you think mike-h?) but if you're sufficiently interested, drop me an e-mail and I'll give you the full chapter & verse

on posting such stuff, suppose depends on overall situation

Can't see any problem if just stating facts and can back it up.

Social source share

He or She has also got a Dena Barnes stock listed. Anyone fancy a punt to see what you get?

On the "other" subject, can I pass on my sincere thanks to the (gutter)sniper who outbid me on Little Jessie Junior of Dynamics demo with 10 seconds to go!!!!! Obviously, they can type quicker than me, or is it Broadband???

Finally, I don't tell my wife ANYTHING about my Ebay activities, it's safer that way.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little ruse to throw the "little woman" off the Ebay scent. Try purchasing a few little items for her from Ebay, nothing too expensive mind, don't want to divert funds away from the real activity. Just the odd second hand top or bit of tat from the jewellry section, anything sparkly will do.

I've tried this a couple of times and she can now use the phrase "Ebay" without it sounding like "look what I found on my shoe".

Social source share

ooooops! forgot to login. It's Bozaboy and it's not funny, it's TRUE!!!!

(or is it?)

Linking the threads, there's another Frank Wilson issue on Ebay.co.uk as a "Buy it Now" for £110 !!!!!!

That's it, I'm off, the whole bloody lot's gone (snooker) loopy!!!

I mean, the world and his (soul) cat must have bought an issue copy, I wonder how long it will be before some daft bugger buys it? The clock's ticking ...........

Social source share

After months of moaning about my ebay obsession (her words not mine) my other half decided to have a go herself.She bid and won a new Burberry bag ,only problem was the Post Office wouldn't delivery it until she paid £28.00 import tax.Could have bought it for £15.00 less in Selfridges.

Over xmas while I was out I asked her to bid on Karen Young-'To much of a good thing' @£9.99 gets a phone call 'had a problem' instead of bidding £12.00 she pressed comma instead of full stop and bid £1200.Won it in the end @ £9.99 but she's now banned unless supervised.

Social source share

Hi the automatic bidding system for Ebay is called 'bidsnipe' which is actually a system which will bid on your behalf approx six seconds before the auction ends, what you have to do is register your bid or the most you are prepared to go up to and if this is higher than the current/last/final bid then 'bidsnipe' will basically do it for you providing you bid enough, as it's not possible to enter a physical bid as quick you will find you may be lucky with the 'bidsnipe' system.

Other than that it's bib away don't get to carried away and have fun...... and get big grief from the wife............. TO FIND THE SITE JUST ENTER BIDSNIPE IN YOUR SEARCH AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE PAGE AND WILL TELL YOU HOW IT ALL WORKS.

Regards - MARK BICKNELL.

Social source share

just bought Atlantis (girl group) warning of danger - g note on e bay

same lable as Georgetta banks? for $45 could anyone of you knowlagable soulies tell me how rare this is as its a

cracking tune on a rare lable - tks

Social source share

Who is the complete bonehead who has clogged up page after page after page on eBay with dodgy looking CDs and 45s that he calls 2nd issues - b*ll*cks. Not only has the idiot listed hundreds but where he has multiple copies he has detailed every one of them separately - four, five or even more times of the same title!!

He goes under the name 'med64' and is apparently based in Leeds.

How far is Leeds from Nottingham?????

Social source share

Christ see what u mean - i went into what he had for sale and he has 65 pages of stuff - including punk, indie etc.!!

leeds is about as far from nottingham as manchester is - tell u what meet in the middle, you hold him, i'll kick the shit out of him!!

Social source share

what's your problem with him, if the bloke got several copies of each cd why not listing them seperately?

i've bought of "med64" in the past and he's a fair seller with a 1.800+ feedback.

you don't want to spoil his business, piss potential buyers off just because you don't like his way of auction listing, do you?

Social source share

Are you happy to support his business and buy his '2nd issues' - I'd call them bootlegs. Who's being taken for a ride here?

As for listing multiple items individually - why not say he has 5 copies on the one page - it's especially frustrating to have to wade through all his pages when you're not on broadband because BT won't connect the area in which I live - it takes forever to get to pages where you just might want to bid on legitimate records. There is so much (individual) stuff on eBay that great chunks of the day can be spent trying to keep pace with new items being offered each day.

It isn't my intention to spoil anyone's business; but I'd much rather deal with people who trade in the genuine article.

Social source share

To the poster supporting med64 - chill out mate, dont take things too serious - i see where the original post is coming from but then again business is business and thats the whole point of ebay, to open up a world for buyers and sellers of whatever products or quantity. it can be frustrating wading thru pages and pages of stuff if not on broadband, but isnt that part of the fun? i do keep telling the wife though that if we had broadband I could get thru my searches quicker and therefore spend less time in front of the computer!!!!!

Social source share

... nail, head, spot on, Grant! The "fun" (and, of course, the exquisite pain) of Ebay, I believe, is wading through page after page of stuff (both ending soon and new today), trying to decipher what the seller means by "rare" or "northern" or even "soul" (or even more copies of Sister James!!! - everyone got one now? right, it's not "in demand" anymore!!), just in the vain hope that some soft bugger has listed the B side or skimped on the description to such a degree that other smart collectors wont spot it (yeh, right!). I mean, surely this is how everybody plays the great Ebay game?

One final point, OK "business is business", but if I see another copy of Polly Brown's "Going up in a puff of smoke" in the R & B section, I swear, I'll scream.

Anyone else seen any wierd entries in what could be termed "our" section?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!