Gladys Knight - If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love

Guest Rowly

Okay!

So you know how it is... You're sitting there minding your own business when a tune suddenly pops into your head from nowhere - and you can't shift it. Happened to me last night.... Suddenly, Gladys Knight - "If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love" was ringing round by brain - and in the end I had to go and dig out my "Cellarfull of Motown" cd and play it.

And it then got me to thinking.... Especially with all the original 45 only / no boots/pressings/cd's discussions going on round here ... So this was unreleased yes? So What's the history of it on the scene?

Who first started playing it and when.... And what were they playing? Are there any legit demo copies going about that I'd need sell my children and /or vital body organs to buy? (If I could ever find one!)

Was it off Studio Acetates cut straight from the Master Tapes?

I've got one of those look-a-likey Soul w/d boots with "pieces of my broken heart" on the other side that came out a few years back.... But obviously that's a no no for playing out anywhere.....

So what's the story peeps?

Social source share

Cheers Jerry.... Was beginning to think I had BO or bad breath or Summat... (120 views & no replies!)

Surely a case of a boot being a pemissible play out in this case then, if no original vinyl exists??.... :yes:

(Dons Tin Hat and retires quietly to the corner ready to receive incomming flak!) :thumbsup:

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Surely a case of a boot being a pemissible play out in this case then, if no original vinyl exists??....  :thumbsup:

(Dons Tin Hat and retires quietly to the corner ready to receive incomming flak!)  :yes:

link

Wouldn't it be more a case of an acetate pressed by you, from the CD you own (on which royalties have been paid) being more permissable than a boot which someone else made illegal dosh out of?

Feel free to ponder... But don't ask me, buggered if I know the answer!

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

rowly ...as andy says get an acetate cut off the cd and that in my opinion is ok ...i done that with tammi terrell " all i do is think about you " which i THINK is the same sort of situation

Davie

Social source share

Ah! But seeing as I have already bought the cd and therfore paid my royalty there, cutting an acetate off that would just be wasting money no? May a well just play the boot I already have.... in theory! :thumbsup:

And it still doesn't amswer my question.... who first played it out (to make it the fave it is...) and what did they play it off? Or was it just through Richard Searling playing it on the Radio?

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Ah! But seeing as I have already bought the cd and therfore paid my royalty there, cutting an acetate off that would just be wasting money no? May a well just play the boot I already have.... in theory!  :thumbsup:

And it still doesn't amswer my question.... who first played it out (to make it the fave it is...) and what did they play it off?  Or was it just through Richard Searling playing it on the Radio?

link

No playing the boot isn't allowed you stingy Mod get!

Social source share

• 15 years later...
On 04/02/2005 at 14:54, Jerry Hipkiss said:

Your vital organs (and your kids!) are safe - no, there were no demos, it was part of one of the further "unreleased" lot...love it to death, but like you can't play it out at a venue as there's no original vinyl :thumbsup:

OK, the thought police might let me off with it, but I'd better not risk their wrath :yes:

Jerry.

If I were a DJ I would not have a problem playing my copy of this it needs playing it's one of the best .

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

the OVO thing is getting stupid, I'd honestly just appreciate hearing it played and dancing to it, which I have (to a white carver probably, as were lots of these unreleased ones)

if worried - buy a CDJ and play the original cheap CD and mix with that, it ain't difficult

this scene 🤣

Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 24/02/2020 at 10:10, Chalky said:

There is no evidence of soul flip records on a company check, if it is legal they are under a different name but I somehow doubt it .  Nothing on the label to say licensed etc and there usually is

Bought one off Manship Soul Label many moons ago . Sent back due to condition.  Not as advertised  . 

Regards 

Dave 

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Davey S said:

It is an excellent slab of Soul dance music got my White Soul copy signed by the lady herself , prize record in my collection and if I was djing would definitely play it legal or not kit deserves to be heard.

Dave.

Totally agree . Am still kicking myself over not accepting it . As may well never find another true white Soul Demo . 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!