Kings Hall, Stoke

SATURDAY, March 19th

9pm-6am

NORTHERN room;

RICHARD SEARLING, KEV ROBERTS, BUTCH, GINGER TAYLOR, NEIL JONES, KENNY BURRELL, BOB HINSLEY, DAVE EVISON.

MODERN;

COLIN CURTIS, ROGER WILLIAMS, TERRY JONES and Guests.

* 2,000 CAPACITY

* The usual super strong line-up

* The undisputed No.1 all nighter in the UK(NOW IN OUR 9TH YEAR)

* Major record dealers marketplace

Tickets £10 from www.goldsoul.co.uk or Discount Disc, Hanley(01782-266888) , Beatin Rhythm(0161-834-7783)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

SATURDAY, March 19th

9pm-6am

NORTHERN room;

RICHARD SEARLING, KEV ROBERTS, BUTCH, GINGER TAYLOR, NEIL JONES, KENNY BURRELL, BOB HINSLEY, DAVE EVISON.

MODERN;

* 2,000 CAPACITY

Tickets £10 from www.goldsoul.co.uk  or Discount Disc, Hanley(01782-266888) , Beatin Rhythm(0161-834-7783)

link

TICKETS SELLING FAST!

SATURDAY, March 19th

9pm-6am

NORTHERN room;

MODERN;

* 2,000 CAPACITY

Tickets £10 from www.goldsoul.co.uk  or Discount Disc, Hanley(01782-266888) , Beatin Rhythm(0161-834-7783)

link

Just wondered.....

Seeing as one of the "super strong line up " of DJs has apparently dropped out from another all-nighter, can we be sure of him turning up for this one?

Dave.

link

A very contentious statement Kev, i would think that the 100 club would lay claim to that "Title", but i feel certain that the people behind that venture could care less to such kudos. Do promoters feel it neccesary to claim their event is "The Undisputed No.1 Nighter". Having visited every major promoters events (throughly enjoying them all) i wonder when this feeling of needing to be the "No. 1" occured, i fully understand that at the top level of this scene money has become the bottom line and the more feet on the dance floor means more security (hell we all earn a living), i suppose my "Romantic" association with the culture of Northern Soul never really existed, but this overt "sabre rattling" really leaves me cold.

Just wondered.....

Seeing as one of the "super strong line up " of DJs has apparently dropped out from another all-nighter, can we be sure of him turning up for this one?

Dave.

link

Who is that then Dave ?

It was front page news Karen, albeit reluctantly borne!

Didn't you see it? You really should get out of that SSCDT area more :shades:   :)

link

No I didn't see it, looks like I am behind the times...........again LOL

Anyone be so kind as to put a link up for me ?

I suppose in Kev's defence it is the No 1 in terms of attendance.

Any other way of judging which is top, is gonna be a personal thing. It's a bit hard to define which allnighter plays " the best music" when we all have different opinions on what we like.

Saying that, I am gonna contradict myself completely and say The Lifeline is the best in the country by a mile. :thumbsup::P:(:(:) simply because it picks the right DJs for the right reasons. The club and promoters are also aligned to my reasons for getting into this music in the first place.

Hammy

Hammy

I couldn't agree more. I'd also put 100 club ahead of Kings Hall and am wondering where the Queens Hall 'Stafford renuion' will fit in the scheme of things.

link

Well if you want a soul night that has top jocks and music for all tastes

you should try ILKESTON COOP last friday of the month

tamla room - northern room - modern room and a rare room ,so a night for every bodys music tastes :P:thumbsup::)

I suppose in Kev's defence it is the No 1 in terms of attendance.

Any other way of judging which is top, is gonna be a personal thing. It's a bit hard to define which allnighter plays " the best music" when we all have different opinions on what we like.

Saying that, I am gonna contradict myself completely and say The Lifeline is the best in the country by a mile.  :thumbsup:   :(   :)   :P   :(   simply because it picks the right DJs for the right reasons. The club and promoters are also aligned to my reasons for getting into this music in the first place.

Hammy

link

Hammy is correct. It's the UK's best attended all nighter. As for Richard Searling failing to show..... Considering he's my partner.........

Well if you want a soul night that has top jocks and music for all tastes

you should try ILKESTON COOP last friday of the month

tamla room - northern room - modern room and a rare room ,so a night for every bodys music tastes :P   :thumbsup:   :)

link

You know what Span.....I agree...my favourite gig by a mile!

Hammy

link

Right enough mate! :shades:

The one that appeals to my taste the most is Flipside whistling.gif

But not far behind are Soultown, Lifeline, NCSC and 100 club ph34r.gif

Edited by Dave
Guest Marcelle

To each their own.. why is it that there has to be a debate about which is the "best" nighter or soul night... seems to me to be a waste of energy and time.. each time I go to a venue, where ever that is, I go believing that "tonight" i am going to have a good night.. listening to sounds that have given me pleasure for many years.. I dont care that it may not seem to be the best by anyone else.. its the one im choosing to go to..and thats whats its about.. "choice"

sometimes it feels like the scene is filled with people who are out to "out do" or undermind what another person is doing.. By running a "poll" on the best ha!!

WHY? are we still in a playground "be in my gang" how ridiculaus does that sound...

so to the "SAD PEOPLE" who want to spend their time debating which is the "best biggest most loved" have fun ...

im going to get my dancing feet ready, and do what the scene is about to me "dance listen to the sounds oh and have some FUN ... ps if you care to join the happy band of people im sure there will be a venue near to you.. it may not be the biggest or the best or the most loved... but does that realy matter to YOU... go on try it you may just remember why you got into it the first place....

whistling.gif:D:thumbsup::D:wicked::D:lol:

Guest Marcelle

To each their own.. why is it that there has to be a debate about which is the "best" nighter or soul night... seems to me to be a waste of energy and time.. each time I go to a venue, where ever that is, I go believing that "tonight" i am going to have a good night.. listening to sounds that have given me pleasure for many years.. I dont care that it may not seem to be the best by anyone else.. its the one im choosing to go to..and thats whats its about.. "choice"

sometimes it feels like the scene is filled with people who are out to "out do" or undermind what another person is doing.. By running a "poll" on the best ha!!

WHY? are we still in a playground "be in my gang" how ridiculaus does that sound...

so to the "SAD PEOPLE" who want to spend their time debating which is the "best biggest most loved" have fun ...

im going to get my dancing feet ready, and do what the scene is about to me "dance listen to the sounds oh and have some FUN ... ps if you care to join the happy band of people im sure there will be a venue near to you.. it may not be the biggest or the best or the most loved... but does that realy matter to YOU... go on try it you may just remember why you got into it the first place....

whistling.gif:D:thumbsup::D:wicked::D:lol:

im going to get my dancing feet ready, and do what the scene is about to me "dance listen to the sounds oh and have some FUN ... ps if you care to join the happy band of people im sure there will be a venue near to you.. it may not be the biggest or the best or the most loved... but does that realy matter to YOU...  go on try it you may just remember why you got into it the first place....

whistling.gif   :D   :thumbsup:   :D   :wicked:   :D   :lol:

link

I wonder if BUTCH fancies double decking on the night?

Gav Stearn's looking for a gig!!

Guest Marcelle

I wonder if BUTCH fancies double decking on the night?

Gav Stearn's looking for a gig!!

Hmm.. not quite sure how to answer that one Bexter, as im not quite sure what you mean by it.. could it be that i`ve missed the point?

What has Butch and Gav Stern (no offense guys) got to do with my comments on "childish behaviours within the scene" re running "polls" on best, biggest or most loved venues..as I said "each to their own"

or is it something that has nothing to do with my comments and there is a secret society within the scene using coded messages and eveyone else reading your response Bexter has got it ????? hmmm ... this could be fun...

007 your next mission is to infiltrate the notorious "soul scene" and opps that would be telling ..... thumbsup.gif

im going to get my dancing feet ready, and do what the scene is about to me "dance listen to the sounds oh and have some FUN ... ps if you care to join the happy band of people im sure there will be a venue near to you.. it may not be the biggest or the best or the most loved... but does that realy matter to YOU...  go on try it you may just remember why you got into it the first place....

thumbsup.gif   :D   :lol:   :D   :thumbsup:   :D   :D

link

I'm not sure if this post is directed toward me but as it follows mine I will reply to it.

I agree with some of what you say, each time I go to a venue, I also go KNOWING I am going to have a good time but hoping to hear some new sounds as well as the ones I've always enjoyed. I too travel to lots of different venues, big and small. For example before the Queens Hall I spent a couple of hours with 30 or so others at No More Dogging in a football social club and the music I heard there was as good as any I heard all night.

But why shouldn't people say which events they prefer? Expressing an opinion is not necessarily debating and its no different to saying which is your favourite genre or record!

It only becomes a bit suspect if you claim this or that event is the biggest/best/shiniest/most loved and you happen to be promoting it!

Believe me I've remembered for 30+ years why I got into the scene and I have as much FUN now as ever and there are plenty of people on here who will tell you that :D

Looks like I better go into the Freebasing section and talk about darts to avoid being labelled a "sad person" :wicked:

And yes, it seems you have missed the point about Butch and Stearn! :D

Respectfully,

Dave

Edited by Dave
Guest Marcelle

Right enough mate! :)

The one that appeals to my taste the most is Flipside :sleep3:

But not far behind are Soultown, Lifeline, NCSC and 100 club :D

link

Dave,

my comments were not directed at you... or at people saying which venue they get pleasure at going to.

my comments are directed at "promotors" labelling their own venues as being the best biggest and most loved...

I have my own prefrances of venus, to me they are "my" favorites and yes if anyone asked me i would say which one i prefare.. what i wont do is get into petty politics with anyone about my choice, as being better than another venue.. its not its about it being my prefrance.

re following on from your post sorry im a novice on the computor so still learning how to "post" replies (not an excuse as you saw I sent it twice because I thought I hadnt pressed the right button)

what you said is what your preferance is,you didnt say they were the best most loved by the soul population.. there are yours.

Too often venues are labelled by promotors as "being the best in the land" which yes is a great marketing tool, but not accurate..and its this I object to.

Not people saying which they prefare..like I said I have my own prefrances.. and I do tell people.

In regards to Butch and Stern, Bexter was answering my reply and no I dont get it.. have they said which is the best most loved venue??

Im certaintly not thick, niave yes (im frequently told) but not thick.

I asked the question "have I missed the point" thats a question that many people may know the answer to.. im not one of them.. and yes people maybe laughing at me.. because I asked for clarification, thats ok I dont have any difficulty saying when I dont understand something.

it wasnt aimed at you or anyone else who says what their prefrance is.. it is aimed at "promotors and anyone else that makes statments that are innaccurate..

my sincere apologies if I have offended you,

ps if this is posted twice bare with me!!!

Marcelle x

Dave,

my comments were not directed at you... or at people saying which venue they get pleasure at going to.

my comments are directed at "promotors" labelling their own venues as being the best biggest and most loved...

I have my own prefrances of venus, to me they are "my" favorites and yes if anyone asked me i would say which one i prefare.. what i wont do is get into petty politics with anyone about my choice, as being better than another venue.. its not its about it being my prefrance.

re following on from your post sorry im a novice on the computor so still learning how to "post" replies (not an excuse as you saw I sent it twice because I thought I hadnt pressed the right button)

what you said is what your preferance is,you didnt say they were the best most loved by the soul population.. there are yours.

Too often venues are labelled by promotors as "being the best in the land" which yes is a great marketing tool, but not accurate..and its this I object to.

Not people saying which they prefare..like I said I have my own prefrances.. and I do tell people.

In regards to Butch and Stern, Bexter was answering my reply and no I dont get it.. have they said which is the best most loved venue??

I asked the question "have I missed the point" thats a question that many people may know the answer to.. im not one of them.. and yes people maybe laughing at me.. because I asked for clarification, thats ok I dont have any difficulty saying when I dont understand something.

it wasnt aimed at you or anyone else who says what their prefrance is.. it is aimed at "promotors and anyone else that makes statments that are innaccurate..

Marcelle x

link

Hi Marcelle

Best to be a little niave and just get on with having a good time...Leave them clowns to bitch and talk politics...There can't be many dummies or toys left in the pram,i hope...He who shouts about biggest and best bla bla bla bla :sleep3: People on here are not sold on all that shit,they know and go where they want...Keep away from these people and just get on with having fun...Love and peace.. :)

Rev..Kenny Lynch...

I have a gang, but it's TOP SECRET, :sleep3: if you want to be in it you will have to produce 5 of those things which I really like (all must work) and learn the words to skippy the bush kangaroo backwards

Secret Squirrel :)

Marcelle honey, I understood what you meant - don't think you have any need to justify your opinion :-)

Like you I'm not a fan of hyperbole in promotion - biggest, best, oldest, newest, all means little to me - I prefer the "does what it says on the tin" approach - where, when, who etc., but that's just a personal viewpoint. It's yet to be proven to me that those kind of descriptions will encourage extra custom, although a good line up usually will.

But there's no doubt that the Kings Hall events are always packed out and have been popular since their inception, and Kev is no doubt proud of that fact and chooses to use it in the marketing of his event.

Call me naive, but I've never seen it as rubbing anyones nose in it, just their style of doing things and part of their corporate identity.

The best promotional tool will always be word of mouth IMO, telling like minded people that an event is right up their street. Most people know what to expect of the established events anyway.

Keep doing what you do, attending the events you like best (I know you will, you two are great at supporting other promoters gigs ) and don't lose sleep over the way that someone chooses to promote their business.

Ali

Marcelle honey, I understood what you meant - don't think you have any need to justify your opinion  :-)

Like you I'm not a fan of hyperbole in promotion - biggest, best, oldest, newest, all means little to me - I prefer the "does what it says on the tin" approach - where, when, who etc., but that's just a personal viewpoint. It's yet to be proven to me that those kind of descriptions will encourage extra custom, although a good line up usually will.

But there's no doubt that the Kings Hall events are always packed out and have been popular since their inception, and Kev is no doubt proud of that fact and chooses to use it in the marketing of his event.

Call me naive, but I've never seen it as rubbing anyones nose in it, just their style of doing things and part of their corporate identity.

The best promotional tool will always be word of mouth IMO, telling like minded people that an event is right up their street. Most people know what to expect of the established events anyway.

Keep doing what you do, attending the events you like best (I know you will, you two are great at supporting other promoters gigs ) and don't lose sleep over the way that someone chooses to promote their business.

Ali

link

Any interest to declare here Ali ?

link

Not at all - I don't edit Kevs magazine anymore, and I probably attend far more events run by other promoters than I do KRL events.

But having worked with him, I know he has a certain way of doing things that is very much of his own style. I doubt it will change just because a few folks on an internet list don't approve.

I don't personally like hyperbole in marketing, but I can understand why they choose to promote their gigs that way.

To each their own and all that.

My point to Marcelle is that theres no point questioning how other people choose to promote their events, people will pick and choose according to their own personal preferences as far as I can see.

Guest Johnny One Trout

link

Your point being? To me it reads like a fair and unbiased comment from Ali ranting_1.gif So Ali used to work for Kev as the Editor of his mag, and yes we are friends of Kev and Sam but then again we are freinds of a lot of people with differing views on many things, Ali's only interest is that she knows and likes them both ranting_1.gif

To begin with I would like to say I agree with most things said.

However, I do feel that it is important that promoters do compete with each other. As we have many events these days it is essential that promoters do all they can to ensure maximum attendance. Therefore the promoters have to put in much more effort to retain their market place. I do not like the slagging matches that seem to go on but we as punters need our promoters to be competitive to ensure we have a good quality time. A lot of effort goes on behind the scenes with respect to not just the music policy and DJ line-up. A promoter has to consider drinks prices, toilet facilities, dancefloor quality, seating, parking, security and much more.

Without competition an organisation can become complacent to the needs of the punter. Whilst an event has to compete everything needs to be considered to the finest detail otherwise people will not return.

Once again I do not like the slagging but at the end of the day it does not effect us as punters.

Competition is healthy for most us.

Shane

Your point being? To me it reads like a fair and unbiased comment from Ali  ranting_1.gif So Ali used to work for Kev as the Editor of his mag, and yes we are friends of Kev and Sam but then again we are freinds of a lot of people with differing views on many things, Ali's only interest is that she knows and likes them both  ranting_1.gif

link

========

Have to agree with John and Ali, didn't see any bias in Ali's explanation to Marcelle. Everybody who runs an event promotes it, I've yet to see a flyer saying, "Come to my venue, it's sh*t". How people promote is up to them, we all have brains, and all use them to decide......can't see much wrong with that. If you go somewhere and you don't like it, it doesn't matter how much someone extols the virtues of a venue, it doesn't really change your opinion does it.

Winnie;-)

Dave,

Marcelle x

link

Marcelle,

Absolutely no need to apologise, you have not offended me whistling.gif

In fact it looks like we have a pretty similar outlook and approach to the scene. I think perhaps I slightly misunderstood your first post but I agree with what you say about promoters using this medium to "big up" their own evnts and tried to say so in my previous post.

I always enjoy the NCSC events and realise that you, as well as Chris, must put a lot of effort into them. Also its always nice to see the pair of you enjoying yourselves at other events throughout the country and that is something not all promoters do! ranting_1.gif

The Stearn comment by Bexter was not really a reply to your post, more a distraction! It's a story that has run out of steam anyway.

I'm aiming to get up to Manchester on Saturday and we'll have a small sherry while the old man's not looking to show there's no hard feelings :thumbsup:ranting_1.gif

Best,

Dave

========

Everybody who runs an event promotes it, I've yet to see a flyer saying, "Come to my venue, it's sh*t". How people promote is up to them, we all have brains, and all use them to decide......can't see much wrong with that. If you go somewhere and you don't like it, it doesn't matter how much someone extols the virtues of a venue, it doesn't really change your opinion does it.

Winnie;-)

link

You said that better than me (so weird these swapped avavtars, I feel I am answering myself !)

As to the question of how promoters advertise their events, I would just point out that there is a section of this website dedicated to listing events and that is what most promoters use.

Note I have not quoted anybody here as I am merely making an observation rather than trying to disagree with any individual ranting_1.gif

Your point being? To me it reads like a fair and unbiased comment from Ali  ranting_1.gif So Ali used to work for Kev as the Editor of his mag, and yes we are friends of Kev and Sam but then again we are freinds of a lot of people with differing views on many things, Ali's only interest is that she knows and likes them both  ranting_1.gif

link

You know what my point was. You've answered it.

Guest Johnny One Trout

You know what my point was. You've answered it.

link

Did you actually read the reply or just assume that anything that Ali wrote would be biased in some way?

It certainly doesn't read that way to me ranting_1.gif but then again maybe i'm biased ranting_1.gifwhistling.gif:thumbsup:

To begin with I would like to say I agree with most things said.

However, I do feel that it is important that promoters do compete with each other. As we have many events these days it is essential that promoters do all they can to ensure maximum attendance. Therefore the promoters have to put in much more effort to retain their market place. I do not like the slagging matches that seem to go on but we as punters need our promoters to be competitive to ensure we have a good quality time. A lot of effort goes on behind the scenes with respect to not just the music policy and DJ line-up. A promoter has to consider drinks prices, toilet facilities, dancefloor quality, seating, parking, security and much more.

Without competition an organisation can become complacent to the needs of the punter. Whilst an event has to compete everything needs to be considered to the finest detail otherwise people will not return.

Once again I do not like the slagging but at the end of the day it does not effect us as punters.

Competition is healthy for most us.

Shane

link

What a load of rubbish, thats the last record i'll buy of you ranting_1.gif .

Ps...seriously this time Shane can i get a lift with you to Sheridans (Chicago/Detroit) ranting_1.gif

Did you actually read the reply or just assume that anything that Ali wrote would be biased in some way?

It certainly doesn't read that way to me  ranting_1.gif but then again maybe i'm biased  ranting_1.gif   whistling.gif   :thumbsup:

link

Yes I read the reply. And I accept wholeheartedley what Ali says, but if your good friends with someone theres bound to be a line you feel you can't cross with regards to criticism. Unlike some people on this forum, I have no problem with Kev Roberts (or anybody else forthat matter) making a living out of the soul scene. Its business, good luck to him, but his arrogant attitude to other venues and people leave a bad taste. The 'original' - weren't there all nighters in the sixties ?. The 'best' 100 Club ?.

Nothing wrong with defending your friends, it happens on here ALL the time, but its not coming from a neutral position. Some people might not know that.

And I have no axe to grind with Ali, its just a point I made. (So the rest of the SSCDT hit squad don't have to bother disagreeing with me in writing.)

Steve

=======

You haven't actually made a point, you've just implied something. Have you any fave venues? If so can you let us know, but without using bias. Personally I don't think it can be done, but it would be an interesting experiment

link

If its only implied, then read the reply.

Yeah, Soulsville. Whats biased about that ?

But I tend not to comment on the venues run by John Vincent or Mark Etheridge, because they are friends of mine. And I don't want to be biased.

Its a simple concept.

In fact, how much of your two posts are down to your friendship with John and Ali, as opposed to the post which started it all off.

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE

Yes I read the reply. And I accept wholeheartedley what Ali says, but if your good friends with someone theres bound to be a line you feel you can't cross with regards to criticism. Unlike some people on this forum, I have no problem with Kev Roberts (or anybody else forthat matter) making a living out of the soul scene. Its business, good luck to him, but his arrogant attitude to other  venues and people leave a bad taste. The 'original' - weren't there all nighters in the sixties ?. The 'best' 100 Club ?.

Nothing wrong with defending your friends, it happens on here ALL the time, but its not coming from a neutral position. Some people might not know that.

And I have no axe to grind with Ali, its just a point I made. (So the rest of the SSCDT hit squad don't have to bother disagreeing with me in writing.)

Steve

link

=======

Steve,

Again you're implying something, ie: the SSCDT hit squad. Am I not allowed to enter the debate? You made a reference, inferring Ali had some ulterior motive for posting. Personally I couldn't see it, so replied as such.....In a public forum, I thought everything was up for debate. If you'd have wished to keep it more personal surely you should have taken it off list.

Winnie;-)

Guest Johnny One Trout

ranting_1.gif

Yes I read the reply. And I accept wholeheartedley what Ali says, but if your good friends with someone theres bound to be a line you feel you can't cross with regards to criticism. Unlike some people on this forum, I have no problem with Kev Roberts (or anybody else forthat matter) making a living out of the soul scene. Its business, good luck to him, but his arrogant attitude to other  venues and people leave a bad taste. The 'original' - weren't there all nighters in the sixties ?. The 'best' 100 Club ?.

Steve

link

But what you have said is pretty much what Ali said :thumbsup: but a little blunter

And yes you are right there are certain boundaries that you don't cross but i really don't think that this is one of those times Steve.

Karen

The Deputy Dic of the SSCDT ranting_1.gifwhistling.gif

BTW you are safe from the rest of them as i have the keys to the spunk gun cupboard

=======

Steve,

Again you're implying something, ie: the SSCDT hit squad. Am I not allowed to enter the debate? You made a reference, inferring Ali had some ulterior motive for posting. Personally I couldn't see it, so replied as such.....In a public forum, I thought everything was up for debate. If you'd have wished to keep it more personal surely you should have taken it off list.

Winnie;-)

link

Where did you get 'ulterior motive' from. I asked about an interest, and there is one, no matter how insignificant it may be.

Have a look at some SSCDT members posts which have driven people off this forum. Usually new people who don't know whatt SSCDT is about, but tried to join in in good faith. Its not one person who's done it. I'm not implying anything there, I'm stating a fact.

Steve

ranting_1.gif

But what you have said is pretty much what Ali said  :thumbsup: but a little blunter

And yes you are right there are certain boundaries that you don't cross but i really don't think that this is one of those times Steve.

Karen

The Deputy Dic of the SSCDT  ranting_1.gif   whistling.gif

BTW you are safe from the rest of them as i have the keys to the spunk gun cupboard

link

Other than Winnie (I think), I don't know who I'm conversing with here. You could all be changing identities and avatars as I type (and I'm not joking).

But I take your point Karen (?) and didn't mean to upset Ali, John or anyone else.

I now have to go to the pub to calm down rather than start my diet.

Now to deal with Winnie........................................

If its only implied, then read the reply.

Yeah, Soulsville. Whats biased about that ?

But I tend not to comment on the venues run by John Vincent or Mark Etheridge, because they are friends of mine. And I don't want to be biased.

Its a simple concept.

In fact, how much of your two posts are down to your friendship with John and Ali, as opposed to the post which started it all off.

link

==========

My comment has nothing to do with friendship, I couldn't see the bias you implied in Ali's post.

Bias is a personal viewpoint, something we're all capable of, it's not gospel truth, just our view. I think the 100 is the best nighter in the country, plenty will disagree with me, but that's what debate is. If I have an allegiance, a few words on a computer screen are not going to change my mind, the only thing that will do that, is another venue coming up with the goods. I suspect most other people connected with SS have the same capabilities as I have, and make up their own minds.

Winnie:-)

OK, lets just spell it out.

1)

I think I can make reasoned replies without bias, and since Marcelle and Chris have also become friends of mine I think that point is irrelevant. (Seriously Steve, if folks felt that they couldn't comment on a venue simply because it was run by a friend, we'd lose a lot of interesting reviews and viewpoints on this forum. Most of us become mates with someone who runs a club we attend anyway)

2)

I stated I don't personally like hyperbole and "bigging up venues" in marketing - but they have every right to do that if they want to market their promotions that way, and think their event warrants some trumpet blowing.

3)

Agreed with what Marcelle said, simply suggested that people needn't lose sleep over the way that others choose to market their venues.

4)

I have lost the track of what we are all discussing here !

PS I might look like I am Jamie, but I am in fact Ali. Sorry you're confused, blame Dave Abbott - all his fault for making us wear each others heads this week !!!

Edited by alison
Guest Johnny One Trout

Other than Winnie (I think), I don't know who I'm conversing with here. You could all be changing identities and avatars as I type (and I'm not joking).

But I take your point Karen (?) and didn't mean to upset Ali, John or anyone else.

I now have to go to the pub to calm down rather than start my diet.

Now to deal with Winnie........................................

link

No you were right the first time it's John and for this week we have all adopted the outward persona of a different member of the SSCDT (I know it's confusing the hell out of me too ranting_1.gif )

And you haven't upset us at all even though we like to be as impartial as humanly possible when it comes to this sort of thing, which believe it or not is where Ali was coming from in the first place.

If you get to the bar before me mines a stella i've just got to fasten my laces ranting_1.gif

Karen

The Deputy Dic of the SSCDT whistling.gif:thumbsup::D:D

If you get to the bar before me mines a stella i've just got to fasten my laces  ranting_1.gif

Karen

The Deputy Dic of the SSCDT  ranting_1.gif   whistling.gif   :thumbsup:   :D

link

No no John, you have slipped out of character. You drink Stella but Karen doesnt drink. One sniff of the barmaids apron and she's asleep in the corner :D

No you were right the first time it's John and for this week we have all adopted the outward persona of a different member of the SSCDT (I know it's confusing the hell out of me too  ranting_1.gif )

And you haven't upset us at all even though we like to be as impartial as humanly possible when it comes to this sort of thing, which believe it or not is where Ali was coming from in the first place.

If you get to the bar before me mines a stella i've just got to fasten my laces  ranting_1.gif

Karen

The Deputy Dic of the SSCDT  whistling.gif   :thumbsup:   :D   :D

link

More confused than ever. John/Karen ? They sell Stella in my local pub but I steer clear normally. Tonight however ...............................

Steve (really)

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE

Where did you get 'ulterior motive' from. I asked about an interest, and there is one, no matter how insignificant it may be.

Have a look at some SSCDT members posts which have driven people off this forum. Usually new people who don't know whatt SSCDT is about, but tried to join in in good faith. Its not one person who's done it.  I'm not implying anything there, I'm stating a fact.

Steve

link

==============

But don't you agree Steve we all have interests at heart? If I like a particular genre of northern, I'm going to promote that in my replies/comments, it's natural. I have a tendency to trad sounding northern oldies, and some modern, however I don't really like much in the R&B vein. I know that's an antequated view these days, but it's one I'm comfortable with. Therefore, if someone asks me about a venue, when I comment on it, those views are taken into account, possibly subconsiously, but they will be there. Bias is everyday life, do you prefer mash, or roast potatoes? As soon as you answer the question, you're showing personal bias, it's impossible not to. You don't say, well I prefer roast, but here are the qualities of mash.... ranting_1.gif

As regarding the SSCDT, I take your point, most of us know each other, and again in that instance, it's easier to chat/talk bollox, because you know how far (in general) you can go. If someone new posts, personally I am more careful with what I say, (although always say hi etc) because I wouldn't want to offend them.

Winnie:-)