• Replies 97
  • Views 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

==============

But don't you agree Steve we all have interests at heart? If I like a particular genre of northern, I'm going to promote that in my replies/comments, it's natural. I have a tendency to trad sounding northern oldies, and some modern, however I don't really like much in the R&B vein. I know that's an antequated view these days, but it's one I'm comfortable with. Therefore, if someone asks me about a venue, when I comment on it, those views are taken into account, possibly subconsiously, but they will be there. Bias is everyday life, do you prefer mash, or roast potatoes? As soon as you answer the question, you're showing personal bias, it's impossible not to. You don't say, well I prefer roast, but here are the qualities of mash.... ranting_1.gif

As regarding the SSCDT, I take your point, most of us know each other, and again in that instance, it's easier to chat/talk bollox, because you know how far (in general) you can go. If someone new posts, personally I am more careful with what I say, (although always say hi etc) because I wouldn't want to offend them.

Winnie:-)

link

After yet another fine debate Winnie, I've got to go. Principally because my chest and left arm hurt and I'm lying on the floor typing due to the stress.

At least I know its you.

Of course we are all biased, (I actually prefer saute) but..... well we've done all that already and got the blood pressure up. Daft really. I suppose the old adage on here that you can't convey things in black and white like you can face to face is so true, because theres no real inflection with the written word.

Everybody have a good evening.

Steve

Oh, one thing I am openly biased about is that Sheffield Wednesday are Sh*t ranting_1.gif

What a load of rubbish, thats the last record i'll buy of you whistling.gif .

Ps...seriously this time Shane can i get a lift with you to Sheridans (Chicago/Detroit) ranting_1.gif

link

nah then brett. i haven't drove to a venue for a long time mate. i have been very grateful for lifts myself. i will see what is happening a few days before mate. will try to get you a lift with me.

anyway, what do you mean rubbish? :thumbsup:

competition is good for us punters. if they didnt compete they would put any old dj on, play any old crap and charge us 25 quid to get in.

To put it another way using an example....do you think that the quality/price of food and drink on a train would be better if they had to compete?

Shano!

ps. leave my mate bladeforlife alone. he is one of the most open minded people around. i think a few of us should remember that it is not easy to get your point across straight away through this medium. I believe a lot of these discussions would not go off course like they do if done face to face. ranting_1.gif

I have no problem with Kev Roberts (or anybody else forthat matter) making a living out of the soul scene. Its business, good luck to him, but his arrogant attitude to other  venues and people leave a bad taste. The 'original' - weren't there all nighters in the sixties ?.

link

That's what I call a fair and accurate summary, Steve.

competition is good for us punters. if they didnt compete they would put any old dj on, play any old crap and charge us 25 quid to get in.

Shano!

some venues do put any old dj on and play any old crap whistling.gifranting_1.gif:thumbsup: Seen some have the nerve to charge £25 too in the past ranting_1.gif

:D

Edited by chalky

oh, have we made friends with the blade man again already? Poo, I still owe him big time for a comment a few weeks ago ranting_1.gif

As for your comments about sscdt pages, I wouldn't dream of jumping in on something I knew nothing about (excpet record posts on here of course teehee)

Nini, Princess of Snowland and leader of clique's ranting_1.gif

ps. leave my mate bladeforlife alone. he is one of the most open minded people around. i think a few of us should remember that it is not easy to get your point across straight away through this medium. I believe a lot of these discussions would not go off course like they do if done face to face. ranting_1.gif

link

link

shant, I owe him a kick in the shins from three weeks ago still ranting_1.gif:thumbsup:

link

link

===========

Fair point Shane, as Steve said, without inflection the written word is hard to decipher accurately whistling.gif:thumbsup:ranting_1.gif

===========

Fair point Shane, as Steve said, without inflection the written word is hard to decipher accurately whistling.gif   :thumbsup:   ranting_1.gif

link

leave my mate winnie alone too! ranting_1.gif

Shano!

i will hold him still for you then. ranting_1.gif

shane

link

Why do I get the feeling I ju7st picked on someone much bigger than me? all help much appreciated, handcuffs and chains incase he manages to get free?

whistling.gif

link

Guest Marcelle

Marcelle,

I'm aiming to get up to Manchester on Saturday and we'll have a small sherry while the old man's not looking to show there's no hard feelings :D:thumbsup:

Best,

Dave

oh this could be so much fun.... :D

I will gladly particapate in a small"whiskey" sorry mate not a sherry girl... if the old man lets me get a minute to myself... im usually hiding behind a table as Chris goes past.. shades.gif

unfortunatly I cant say NCS are my fav venues, as im usually working so can onlty get a "glimpse" of it....(one of the many downside to being with a promotor) opps soz to Blue Max as I do love the Wulfrun... Max works so hard and I dont need to YIPPEE... :D

though I am with Chris who (unfortuntly) is a promotor what I say is what I think and believe.. not him, wouldn`t want anyone to think he has "any control" of what I say.. (as our mates would tell you) if I felt he was behaving in a manner that I didnt agree with.. he would be told..

im not a promotor.. I am a punter who happens to live (oh and love) with a promotor..... (he will so hate that bit haha )

and yes promotors have their own way of "promoting" I dont lose sleep over how they promote, just feel sometimes things need to be said..

soz if im rattling will enjoy "a drink" sat and if im very lucky may even get to dance...

re being niave .. yep think I will stay that way... shhh.gif

back to watching a promotor put up curtain rails.... now that is fun to watch...

"do you think this rail is big enough to hold all those hooks" whistling.gif

Marcelle xx

Too often venues are labelled by promotors as "being the best in the land" which yes is a great marketing tool, but not accurate..and its this I object to.

link

"Best" is a pretty meaningless term in this context, totally subjective and can't be measured (unless someone invents units of 'soul night quality' shades.gif ). Just as well promoters can't be done under the trades description act really isn't it.... "you advertised northern soul and this doesn't match government standards for northern soul..." whistling.gif

As already been said, people make their own minds up from music policies, word of mouth, DJ lists... I tend to think advertising on this scene only serves to make people aware of events or remind them they're on, and isn't really that influential on where people decide to go.

Rachel

back to watching a promotor put up curtain rails.... now that is fun to watch...

"do you think this rail is big enough to hold all those hooks"  :lol:

Marcelle xx

link

I would imagine that it is something like watching a collector put a curtain rail up.

Keep an eye on this rail Marcelle - if it's anything like ours it will be listing at an acute angle within the week- and take another 6 months to be rectified :D

That's what I call a fair and accurate summary, Steve.

link

Dave,

Better to sell your wares in all their glory than have a few useless disciples do it for you(like some promoters I could mention)

WE PROMOTE GOOD EVENTS.

Dave,

Better to sell your wares in all their glory than have a few useless disciples do it for you(like some promoters I could mention)

WE PROMOTE GOOD EVENTS.

link

Kev,

I think if you look back to the part of Steve's post that I quoted, you will find there is no suggestion that the events are not "good", though I find it difficult to see how anyone can say their event is "the best" or "the original". I have attended a couple of your Stoke nighters and enjoyed them.

Indeed at the last one you may recall I took you up on your SS challenge re requests.

As for "selling your wares in all their glory".....I thought the events section and on flyers was the place for that and I'm afraid you have lost me with the disciples bit. I thought they followed Messiahs, not promoters? Perhaps I am being a bit thick and you need to spell it out for me, eh?

Dave

Guest Marcelle

I would imagine that it is something like watching a collector put a curtain rail up.

Keep an eye on this rail Marcelle - if it's anything like ours it will be listing at an acute angle within the week- and take another 6 months to be rectified  :lol:

link

hmm.. yes have started to wonder if our home is built on an old miners pit!!!

as im sure the windows were not this angle this morning... :D

hmm.. yes have started to wonder if our home is built on an old miners pit!!!

as im sure the windows were not this angle this morning...  :lol:

link

marcelle, are you shouting instructions into the left ear or the right ear?

i remember shouting instructions at him when we were lost in london! :D

shane

Guest Marcelle

marcelle, are you shouting instructions into the left ear or the right ear?

i remember shouting instructions at him when we were lost in london!  :D

shane

link

Now you remind me.... thanks

guess thats why "he`s not taking me on when I whisper sweet nothings in his ears... he cant HEAR me damm ... looks like not only does he need sat navigation...but also a hearing aid... if false teeth come after that im gone..

hmmm... re getting lost sweetie...you were like the night in shining armour as you took the wheel and "we were on the road making progress" oh and that deer never did get up....

Marcelle xxx

oh, have we made friends with the blade man again already?  Poo, I still owe him big time for a comment a few weeks ago  whistling.gif

As for your comments about sscdt pages, I wouldn't dream of jumping in on something I knew nothing about (excpet record posts on here of course teehee)

Nini, Princess of Snowland and leader of clique's  whistling.gif

link

post-1834-1109080980.jpg

Kev,

I think if you look back to the part of Steve's post that I quoted, you will find there is no suggestion that the events are not "good", though I find it difficult to see how anyone can say their event is "the best" or "the original". I have attended a couple of your Stoke nighters and enjoyed them.

Indeed at the last one you may recall I took you up on your SS challenge re requests.

As for "selling your wares in all their glory".....I thought the events section and on flyers was the place for that and I'm afraid you have lost me with the disciples bit. I thought they followed Messiahs, not promoters? Perhaps I am being a bit thick and you need to spell it out for me, eh?

Dave

link

Dave,

Too many silly disciples following a road of nonsense. Don't be one of them.

Any idea why we pull the biggest crowds? Simple, the majority are not deceived by average joe promotions with not much of an idea.

I am sure a fair few on Soul Source(and this is my favourite site by the way-see Kolla's article in the next NSOUL) wonder why old hands like Richard Searling and Myself pull real numbers. The fact is THEY TRUST US TO ENTERTAIN and DO IT PROPERLY.

Dave,

Any idea why we pull the biggest crowds? Simple, the majority are not deceived by average joe promotions with not much of an idea.

I am sure a fair few on Soul Source(and this is my favourite site by the way-see Kolla's article in the next NSOUL) wonder why old hands like Richard Searling and Myself pull real numbers. The fact is THEY TRUST US TO ENTERTAIN and DO IT PROPERLY.

link

Now I know why there are so many double doors at Kings Hall.

Dave,

link

Kev, i don't doubt for a minute that you do pull the "Biggest Crowds", i've attended your events and had a great time, but i can't help feeling that you seem like some ageing champion clinging to his "Title", why do you feel this necessary, i never get that sort of desparate emotion from any other of the promoters that post through this site. Richard Searling was one of the main reasons behind me getting the chance to listen to some incredible tunes many years ago, and i'll always hold him as a beacon in my soul upbringing, shame that Richard doesn't involve himself like you do on this site, i'd be interested in his views on your promotions, think that would help you to, then you wouldn't have to seem to be totally in a corner coming out fighting all the time.

Dave,

WE PROMOTE GOOD EVENTS.

link

Dave,

link

Must admit I'm, firstly, dismayed and taken aback and then, secondly, annoyed by these posts Kev.... derogitory in the very least to "any other soul do" in my opinion.... gobsmacked by such comments....

Not having "a big promotional machine" to hand, then I am most appreciative and thankful to others that are either friends or people that attend the nite "passing out flyers" or "typing about the nite" in my absence or unavailability (be it on foot in and around venues or on this forum).... to state "than have a few useless disciples do it for you" is jawdropping.... far removed from this comment, in my opinion they are "worthwhile", "valuable" and "willing" contributors in promoting the nite for which I, for one, am extremely grateful....

Our "numbers" trust us to "do it for the love of the music without a thought for any profit".... if that's still OK to do....

From one of the "average joe promotions with not much of an idea" brigade.... but definately a "soulie" in and from the heart....

Kev, i don't doubt for a minute that you do pull the "Biggest Crowds", i've attended your events and had a great time, but i can't help feeling that you seem like some ageing champion clinging to his "Title", why do you feel this necessary, i never get that sort of desparate emotion from any other of the promoters that post through this site. Richard Searling was one of the main reasons behind me getting the chance to listen to some incredible tunes many years ago, and i'll always hold him as a beacon in my soul upbringing, shame that Richard doesn't involve himself like you do on this site, i'd be interested in his views on your promotions, think that would help you to, then you wouldn't have to seem to be totally in a corner coming out fighting all the time.

link

Brett,

Not an ageing champion, just reiterating we are around. Thanks for acknowledging we pull the biggest crowds. Richard would cringe if he saw some of the stupid comments on the site. He leaves it to old crocodile skin..ME.

He buys the beers too!

Must admit I'm, firstly, dismayed and taken aback and then, secondly, annoyed by these posts Kev.... derogitory in the very least to "any other soul do" in my opinion.... gobsmacked by such comments....

Not having "a big promotional machine" to hand, then I am most appreciative and thankful to others that are either friends or people that attend the nite "passing out flyers" or "typing about the nite" in my absence or unavailability (be it on foot in and around venues or on this forum).... to state "than have a few useless disciples do it for you" is jawdropping.... far removed from this comment, in my opinion they are "worthwhile", "valuable" and "willing" contributors in promoting the nite for which I, for one, am extremely grateful....

Our "numbers" trust us to "do it for the love of the music without a thought for any profit".... if that's still OK to do....

From one of the "average joe promotions with not much of an idea" brigade.... but definately a "soulie" in and from the heart....

link

Mark,

The guys I am talking about are not ones you come across. And please don't give me the 'not for profit' line. You'll be telling me next that SWFC meant to be in the Coca Cola League 1 so the admission prices could go down.

Half the guys on the scene(like YOU) are decent and care about the scene. And yes I don't think you are motivated by money.

The other half simply simply set up a gig at a rival venue, due to them not being invited to DJ at the 1st venue.

Following the local anarchy, we then hear the old chestnut 'nobody's in it for the money'!

Ady Croasdell(although somebody will try and tell us otherwise), Manifesto, Grapevine,Kent, Tim Brown, New Century, KRL, RS etc are in it for the money.

I love ya mate, but you gotta realise the mischief making by a fair few. You simply don't see them on the radar because you are not a threat. LUCKY YOU!

link

I always hold him as a Beacon in my soul upbringing,Brett me to.Billy

Mark,

The guys I am talking about are not ones you come across. And please don't give me the 'not for profit' line. You'll be telling me next that SWFC meant to be in the Coca Cola League 1 so the admission prices could go down.

Half the guys on the scene(like YOU) are decent and care about the scene. And yes I don't think you are motivated by money.

The other half simply simply set up a gig at a rival venue, due to them not being invited to DJ at the 1st venue.

Following the local anarchy, we then hear the old chestnut 'nobody's in it for the money'!

Ady Croasdell(although somebody will try and tell us otherwise), Manifesto, Grapevine,Kent, Tim Brown, New Century, KRL, RS etc are in it for the money.

I love ya mate, but you gotta realise the mischief making by a fair few. You simply don't see them on the radar because you are not a threat. LUCKY YOU!

link

Kev....

Always have and always will stay away from all the "bollotix" to do with this beloved scene of ours.... as you stated, the "not for profit" line is from my perspective.... not others.... that's theirs (and yours) business.... make a loss, break even or have some "change" in your pocket is not a priority for me or is even my motivation....

I was simply making "my point" aimed towards the comments to which I replied to (as percieved by me) as being a "carte blanche knock" at any other venue and their means of promoting.... if not a "general" knock then I misread the post.... my mistake or naivety.... or both....

Would still say though Kev.... if "aimed" at "a select few" then I would still say to all parties concerned.... "do it away from a general public veiwable forum".... no general perceptions and/or unwitting replies would then be forthcoming.... no offence to anybody, just my opinion....

Keep it soulful....

Kev....

Always have and always will stay away from all the "bollotix" to do with this beloved scene of ours.... as you stated, the "not for profit" line is from my perspective.... not others.... that's theirs (and yours) business.... make a loss, break even or have some "change" in your pocket is not a priority for me or is even my motivation....

I was simply making "my point" aimed towards the comments to which I replied to (as percieved by me) as being a "carte blanche knock" at any other venue and their means of promoting.... if not a "general" knock then I misread the post.... my mistake or naivety.... or both....

Would still say though Kev.... if "aimed" at "a select few" then I would still say to all parties concerned.... "do it away from a general public veiwable forum".... no general perceptions and/or unwitting replies would then be forthcoming.... no offence to anybody, just my opinion....

Keep it soulful....

link

[/quote

Mark,

The problem is...it never works. The idea of 'doing it away from public viewable forum' that is. The same goes for many other sites.

I will now de-fuse any debate by declaring undying love for S6, Paul Sturrock, John Paul Mcgovern, Chrissy Waddle, Jim Mcalliog, Bronco Layne zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

link

[/quote

I will now de-fuse any debate by declaring undying love for S6,

link

Not all of S6 is Blue and White....

I only moved here so I could Key Wednesday fans cars without having to travel too far.

And the next one that parks in front of my drive is getting his car pushed out of the way with my Van.

WOOF!

I only moved here so I could Key Wednesday fans cars without having to travel too far.

And the next one that parks in front of my drive is getting his car pushed out of the way with my Van.

WOOF!

link

Your right "pikey".... not all.... only the good bits :yes::thumbsup: ....

Remind me at the next Ponds Forge of your address whistling.gif:wicked::thumbsup: ....

WOOF!

link

Pikeman,

Bigger crowds in S6 than the Lane.

Hey I sound just like a promoter at the Kings Hall!

Right back to more debate. Butch will play exactly what we tell him on March 19th.

Kenny Burrell will play The Snake and Ginger's got his new 4 Vandals cover up all ready. And as anyone seen Big Gav?

Bronco Layne zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

link

Bronco Layne - don't bring this honest and upstanding footballer/ex Bolsover publican's name into disrepute amongst all thisn scurrilous talk

Pikeman,

Bigger crowds in S6 than the Lane.

Hey I sound just like a promoter at the Kings Hall!

Right back to more debate. Butch will play exactly what we tell him on March 19th.

Kenny Burrell will play The Snake and Ginger's got his new 4 Vandals cover up all ready. And as anyone seen Big Gav?

link

Kev, is Gavin DJing at Stoke ?

Dave,

link

Kev,

I'm a bit late getting to read the above as I've just got in after driving my son back to some place bloody place called Sheffield (wait for it whistling.gif ).

I see your post has already received some answers, so I will keep this brief and just assure you that what attracts me to a venue is not the hyperbole of promoters, which I am guessing is what you mean.

I go to places where I will see friends, and I count myself lucky to have so many on this scene, and I go to hear certain DJs (not necessarily "big name" ones) who play the music that suits my taste.... pretty much as I did in the 70s really!

Just as a matter of interest, and this is a straight question, if Butch plays his usual sort of set, how is that going to go down with the Kings Hall crowd who, as far as I have seen, are mainly oldies fans?

Dave

Just as a matter of interest, and this is a straight question, if Butch plays his usual sort of set, how is that going to go down with the Kings Hall crowd who, as far as I have seen, are mainly oldies fans?

Dave

link

hi dave

thats a bit of a sweeping statement about the punters who go to kings hall.

we go up regular twice a year(Not for the oldies nite though)and always have a good time.

if you go again have a good look at all the punters there.

then if youre like us and are at soul do,s the rest of the weekends in the year youre see a lot of punters from kh all over the country out and about and not just at oldies nites.

personaly being to young to be on the scene in the 70,s going to places like stoke gives me a chance to hear records i might not here anywhere else so whats an oldie to you is a newie to me.

not many nites you can go out and enjoy the music with a 1000+ like minded individuals.

Kev,

Though you are undoubtably a premier promoter and businessman on this scene, you amaze me at how you feel it necessary to make such degrading comments within your posts....

"useless disciples" ........&....... "stupid comments on this site"

This site is not about purely about your events and promotions, nor is it purely about anybody elses.

It is an open forum for soulies to speak as they wish, but surely even you can see that such insults are not necessary, and only damage your own name in the long run.......in fact, the only stupid comments I have read within this post are the ones that you have made yourself.

Kings Hall is without doubt a major event on the soul calender, a fantastic venue, extremely well promoted and full to capacity.

However, it is not 'musically' the best event for many people.

You have a very strong line up of top DJs, who all have excellent collections, but who would probably admit to having to have to play 'safe' to such a huge crowd.

Nowt wrong with that...but don't expect everybody to back you up on the 'undisputed No 1 allnighter' quote.

The truth of the matter is, that Kings Hall, along with many other major events, relies on hundreds of small (mainly non profit making) regular local soul nights to keep this scene alive and thriving.

Without these smaller regular events, their respective 'money making' promoters, the countless 'anorak collectors', 'useless disciples' and 'Third rate DJ's' the scene would diminish as has happened before, and the massive events would suffer beyond belief.

You've reached the pinnacle of achievment on this scene, but it seems that you still have a lot of learning to do regarding showing and earning respect.

It is great to see Butch on your DJ line-up (though I would have thought he deserved top billing) and hope this will take Kings Hall 'musically' a step forward.

It seems you must be listening to some of the comments remarks on this site (stupid or not) as it was only a few months ago you stated that Butch and Carl Willingham could not do the business DJing on such events.

Those who post on this site do so because they have a true passion for this scene and it's music....so the big sell and the commercial aspect doesn't impress them, the music, however, always will.

That is why this post has caused a flurry of responses.......'undisputed No 1 allnighter' has ignited a dispute that has ironically shot its own original statement down in flames.

I sincerely hope you have a packer in March, I also sincerely hope that Butch can play a set he is happy with, and that the crowd appreciate him for it.

It might just then make it the No 1 allnighter for a lot more of those attending...

Regards,

Mace.