Around The World

mischief

I had a Jackie Wilson record delivered today that I bought on ebay from Uruguay.. and it got me thinking.. Have you got any Records from around the world that you just wouldn't expect to be realeased in that country?

(nothing exciting was reet petite but wanted to hear the others on the E.P that I can't pronounce, just in case!!!!).

"REET PETITE"

"QUE PENA TENOR QUE DESPEDIRNOS"

"VUELVE A MI"

"POR QUE NO PUEDES SER MIA"

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I had a Jackie Wilson record delivered today that I bought on ebay from Uruguay.. and it got me thinking.. Have you got any Records from around the world that you just wouldn't expect to be realeased in that country?

(nothing exciting was reet petite but wanted to hear the others on the E.P that I can't pronounce, just in case!!!!).

"REET PETITE"

"VUELVE A MI"

link

I've got a copy of Jackie Wilsons 'Whispers' LP with a paper cover, that and label etc written in Chinese. Can't see it being from mainland China, so assume it's from Hong Kong or maybe Taiwan.

Anybody know for sure ?

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

got a Craig Douglas -Dont Mind If I Cry-Stateside(INDIA) from My mate Mace

link

Got an lp by a Czech band , cant remember the name but I know they're from Ostrava , thik it dates from 1969 - The lp contains some soul covers inc - "Chain of fools" , "I've been loving you too long" - (easily forgetful versions )

Think I picked it up at a charity shop in Eastbourne if memory serves me correct - worth theb 30p alone just to pacify my curious nature

Social source share

In 1995, whilst working in Delhi (Did I get the belly, I say did I get the belly) I picked up several Stevie Wonder tapes from a market called the Haus Kas (I think thats the spelling).

In the hotel bars (Oberoi/Sheraton etc) there were a few travelling artists playing Blues and Soul, with one particular band from the phillipines who knocked out a decent version of 'More today than yeaterday' a good line for the output caused by my Delhi belly.

Aacha

Social source share

Lenny Curtis being issued in Spain is an odd one but Patti Austin "Take Away The Pain Stain" on South African Coral when apartheid was at it's peak in the mid-sixties is a really strange one.

"If That's What You Wanted" and "What Kind of Lady" also got issued in Greece.

Social source share

Gloria Gaynor - Park Avenue Sound -Polydor Brazilian LP

Drifters - Ruby Baby - Atlantic Japanese LP

Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay - Stax Lebanese..........can anyone beat that?

Social source share

Gloria Gaynor - Park Avenue Sound -Polydor  Brazilian LP

Drifters - Ruby Baby - Atlantic Japanese LP

Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay - Stax Lebanese..........can anyone beat that?

link

Mark Hopes from Mansfield way got some stuff from Brazil. Think Nolan Porter on ABC was one if I remember rightly.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I have Ben E King Cant Break The News on Greek Atlantic!! Given its failure in America, christ knows why it was released there!! :thumbsup:

Colin Law brought a load of Arethas/Sam & Daves etc on Greek and knowing my liking for other than Northern kindly gave me them as gift, never knew this was in among them till recently!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

there is a guy on ebay who's uncle used to own a pressing plant in beirut ...he has sold loads of motown stuff etc and i bought Timebox "beggin" complete in lebanese sleeve etc

also bought ella fitzgerald "get ready" from a dentist in argentina lol

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

on a topical note ive had recently a couple of soul e.ps on Iraq labels. inc marvin gaye-too busy. chain of fools, sam and dave and memphis horns. Appparantly from a series of 15, all early 80's and wierd to say the least.

seven souls-i still love you- epic (french and spanish, with picture covers if you are lucky)

lots of lps on chinese and japan issues with paper sleeves, Sharon Tandy, madeline bell, darrell banks-Atco job, +++

Ausie motown l.p,s are interesting in the way they invert the orig colours, and use different colours, same photo,s on many.

got some interesting stuff on german issues Losing Boy -eddie and margie joseph-one more chance, lou rawls- when love falls through.

Anyone got anything of interest on Welsh labels??? lived here a while and have seen some odd pop releases.

lots of motown stuff released south of Texas actualy sung in Spanish, also have some supremes in Italian, temps in both. s wonder, m gaye in other lingo's.

Wanted Juna Junoff - yesterday has gone-on a scandinavian label NOT OLGA-which was a brit release, but another, b sides differ the reason.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

oK ITS A WELL KNOWN TUNE BUT

BUT I HAVE A COPY

OF MIDNIGHT

KEEP ON WALKING BY ON AUSTRALIAN RCA

NEVER SEEN ANOTHER YET

AND  REMEMBER PAUL CAPON BUYING

THE CHOICE OF COLOUR..YOUR LOVE

ON PHILLIPENES (NOT SURE ON THE SPELLING) PROBE

THE GASHER

link

Seen a few Aussie copies of this and German copies Gashster but an odd one for Aus seeing as it was made for a failed bid as the UK Eurovison entry :thumbup:

nice record though

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

"REET PETITE"

"VUELVE A MI"

link

I've got a Little Pattie 7" " pushing a good thing too far " which is a HMV Australian issue

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!