Please Let Him Love Me / Make The Music Play - Dionne Warwick

Denbo

Has anybody out there got / seen / have a scan of this 45?

Apparantly, Manship had one for sale years ago but I can't get him or his colleagues to confirm that they might have a scan of it. But to be fair, they're always very busy and perhaps can't afford the time to wade through all of their files to answer my questions. I can understand that.

Anyhow, I'm looking to find out whether or not it was released on Stateside then almost immediately withdrawn. Or whether it might have been issued as Demos with an intended release date but was withdrawn before that date. Or whether test pressings are the only way it came out as a Stateside release.

Is there anybody out there that can help?

And if anybody has one for sale, please PM me.

Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Has anybody out there got / seen / have a scan of this 45?

Apparantly, Manship had one for sale years ago but I can't get him or his colleagues to confirm that they might have a scan of it. But to be fair, they're always very busy and perhaps can't afford the time to wade through all of their files to answer my questions. I can understand that.

Anyhow, I'm looking to find out whether or not it was released on Stateside then almost immediately withdrawn. Or whether it might have been issued as Demos with an intended release date but was withdrawn before that date. Or whether test pressings are the only way it came out as a Stateside release.

Is there anybody out there that can help?

And if anybody has one for sale, please PM me.

Thanks.

I know a couple of obsessive Dionne collectors - neither of them have this on Stateside, nor have they ever seen evidence to suggest that stock copies were pressed. The feeling is that it might have gotten as far as being scheduled, but that it was taken off schedule when Scepter moved from Stateside to Pye International without ever getting pressed either as a demo or stock. It might well have reached the test pressing stage, but nobody I know knows for sure whether it did or didn't...

Social source share

Guest mmiller
:rolleyes: Do you mean the version of 'let the music play' the Roy Hamilton thing that Adey discovered,it's on French philips,the b side is I think ' Hurry on back to me', I've got one in a picture sleeve,although it's not for sale unfortunately....
Social source share

I know a couple of obsessive Dionne collectors - neither of them have this on Stateside, nor have they ever seen evidence to suggest that stock copies were pressed. The feeling is that it might have gotten as far as being scheduled, but that it was taken off schedule when Scepter moved from Stateside to Pye International without ever getting pressed either as a demo or stock. It might well have reached the test pressing stage, but nobody I know knows for sure whether it did or didn't...

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input, which is rare on this site when it comes to much regarding UK labels.

Your comments about Scepter switching to Pye International was helpful and obviously makes a lot of sense.

Anyhow, apparantly, Manship had one quite a while back but I can't get a scan of it 'cos his people tell me they didn't do scans back in those days. Pity really. A little bit of UK label collecting history has gone astray there.

See link below;

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/110766/WARWICK%2C+DIONNE

This could have been a test pressing or even a Demo but we'll never know now will we?

PS - Any chance you could put me on to your obsessive Dionne collectors via a PM because I'm after another one of hers on Stateside and they might be able to help me.

The investigation continues!!!

Denbo.

Social source share

:thumbsup: Do you mean the version of 'let the music play' the Roy Hamilton thing that Adey discovered,it's on French philips,the b side is I think ' Hurry on back to me', I've got one in a picture sleeve,although it's not for sale unfortunately....

Yes, it is a version of the same record by Roy Hamilton, which to my mind is inferior to Dionne's version which, strangely enough is entitled 'Make The Music Play' not 'Let The Music Play'.

Anybody know anything about that!!!???

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input, which is rare on this site when it comes to much regarding UK labels.

Your comments about Scepter switching to Pye International was helpful and obviously makes a lot of sense.

Anyhow, apparantly, Manship had one quite a while back but I can't get a scan of it 'cos his people tell me they didn't do scans back in those days. Pity really. A little bit of UK label collecting history has gone astray there.

See link below;

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/110766/WARWICK%2C+DIONNE

This could have been a test pressing or even a Demo but we'll never know now will we?

PS - Any chance you could put me on to your obsessive Dionne collectors via a PM because I'm after another one of hers on Stateside and they might be able to help me.

The investigation continues!!!

Denbo.

According to John's site, he's also had a copy of Stateside SS 232 (The Shirelles - What Does A Girl Do) but I'm personally pretty sure that never got to the stock copy stage, either.

Scepter/Wand switched from Pye to Stateside really quickly, and I think that EMI might have been caught a bit unawares by their hasty departure. Most companies did not schedule records from a departing label once they know that the contract was not going to be renewed, and for EMI to have allocated numbers to two then-current Scepter 45s that never gained a full release shows how caught on the hop they probably were.

The last Scepter-Wand derived single to come out on Stateside was the Isley Brothers' "Nobody But Me" (SS 218). Dionne only had the two Stateside 'full' releases, "Don't Make Me Over"/"I Smiled Yesterday" and "This Empty Place"/Wishin' And Hopin'". Was there something else you needed to know besides that?

TONY

Social source share

https://www.popmusicinfo.com/show_record.ph...record_id=26696

Classed as Unreleased Stateside on Pop Music Info...

But was released on Pye 7N 25223

This site is normally a pretty reliable source for UK releases.

Scepter switched from Stateside to Pye, not t'other way round, but I'm sure that was merely a typo on Tony's part.

His suggestion that the record got caught on the cusp sounds spot on.

Sean

Social source share

Yes, it is a version of the same record by Roy Hamilton, which to my mind is inferior to Dionne's version which, strangely enough is entitled 'Make The Music Play' not 'Let The Music Play'.

Anybody know anything about that!!!???

hi denbo, deffo came out on uk pye 1963, 25223 and french columbia ep 1444,

hope this helps

steve T

Social source share

According to John's site, he's also had a copy of Stateside SS 232 (The Shirelles - What Does A Girl Do) but I'm personally pretty sure that never got to the stock copy stage, either.

Scepter/Wand switched from Pye to Stateside really quickly, and I think that EMI might have been caught a bit unawares by their hasty departure. Most companies did not schedule records from a departing label once they know that the contract was not going to be renewed, and for EMI to have allocated numbers to two then-current Scepter 45s that never gained a full release shows how caught on the hop they probably were.

The last Scepter-Wand derived single to come out on Stateside was the Isley Brothers' "Nobody But Me" (SS 218). Dionne only had the two Stateside 'full' releases, "Don't Make Me Over"/"I Smiled Yesterday" and "This Empty Place"/Wishin' And Hopin'". Was there something else you needed to know besides that?

TONY

Actually Tony, it's the "This Empty Place / Wishin' And Hopin'" that I'm after on Stateside. Can you, or any of your Dionne Warwick obsessive mates help? I'd be most grateful.

Thanks for the extra info posted by the way.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!