Can I Really Be A Soul Fan

Try as I might even with the Dave Godin (RIP) special CDs, I can only get into about one in ten so called 'deep soul' tracks.

Not sure what the problem is, I can listen to ballads and blues but cannot get the groove and beat on some of the tracks that are classifed as quality.

Dont suppose I can claim to be a real soul fan with this in mind.

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Goldwax

Try as I might even with the Dave Godin (RIP) special CDs, I can only get into about one in ten so called 'deep soul' tracks.

Not sure what the problem is, I can listen to ballads and blues but cannot get the groove and beat on some of the tracks that are classifed as quality.

Dont suppose I can claim to be a real soul fan with this in mind.

Ed

You can 'claim' to be what you want mate. :rolleyes:

I mainly listen to Southern / Deep soul and am amazed that some of the crap labelled Northern could even have the word Soul attached to it (but that doesnt stop me from dancing me nads off to it at a nighter ).

'Classified as quality' - make your own judgements.

Social source share

Deep Soul - Not everyone's cup of Tea, but all I will say is YOUR LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shhh:

"VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE" shades.gif - You stick to your variety and I'll stick to mine!

And if your variety is playing in an adjacent room, well I might just pop in for about 5 minutes to see what I'm losing out on :rolleyes:

"STOLEN HOURS"

RAMSGATE 21st JULY

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

soul is soul with many different takes of it too, some get labelled as soul and some dont deserve to be, its what you enjoy is all that matters,

personally i dont like cooked tomatoes but i love them fresh :rolleyes:

Social source share

Soul music is all about emotion, if you get that from a northern dancer, thats what counts and there no need to doubt your love for soul. My personal preference is for Southern/Deep and I've never been a fan of the "100 mile an hour dancer" and some of the more "blue eyed" stuff leaves me cold, but they are still soul. It's all about petrsonal preference.

"Soul" has covered a wide spectrum of output over the years and not everyone likes everything. If everybody liked everthing in equal amounts it would be a boring world and we wouldn't have the diversity of DJ playlists gthat we have.

The Dave Godin CD's have opened Deep to a wider audience (thanks to Kent for that, I hope these releases have been profitable for them) as typically Deep never gets the chance to get that much airplay.

The other advantage of collecting deep, is that the majority are cheap as chips.

I think it would be idea to have a day dedicated to "Deep" when the "RefoSoul" reopens.

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Well thats what it's meant for - to dance to, not to be sat down and listened to for it's finesse

Agreed. But there are plenty of Northern Soul chin strokers out there who may as well be listening to a Deep set - and unfortunately I haven't come across a Southern Soul nighter yet.

Social source share

Agreed. But there are plenty of Northern Soul chin strokers out there who may as well be listening to a Deep set - and unfortunately I haven't come across a Southern Soul nighter yet.

Can you imagine someone sitting down to measure the depth of emotion in "Ton Of Dynamite" :rolleyes:

I think it's one of the greatest records ever, but it's an utter mess, but maybe that's why it's so great...I'd rather just listen to something and see what effect it has on me and make my own mind up - this is why I hate people telling me there's something wrong with me for not liking non-60's soul...

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I haven't come across a Southern Soul nighter yet.

I think such an event would be extremely unhealthy, everyone sat around crying into their beer all night. I guess you could replace spencers and talc with a stetson and a box of tissues. And a sleepin bag.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Can you imagine someone sitting down to measure the depth of emotion in "Ton Of Dynamite" laugh.gif

I think it's one of the greatest records ever, but it's an utter mess, but maybe that's why it's so great...I'd rather just listen to something and see what effect it has on me and make my own mind up - this is why I hate people telling me there's something wrong with me for not liking non-60's soul...

there is something wrong with you Pete if you only like 60s soul :rolleyes:

Social source share

Can you imagine someone sitting down to measure the depth of emotion in "Ton Of Dynamite" :rolleyes:

but pete just accept it there is something wrong with you biggrin.gif

mark

Social source share

I much prefer Deep Soul to any other form of music.

Fully understand though why others don't or can't connect with it as, equally, I can't connect with a helluva lot of 'Northern' tracks.

The Lounge at Soul Essence is my favourite venue, where the music is almost exclusively Deep Soul... but I accept, it's a minority thing.

Always has been. Always will be.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I think such an event would be extremely unhealthy, everyone sat around crying into their beer all night. I guess you could replace spencers and talc with a stetson and a box of tissues. And a sleepin bag.

From my perspective there is a difference between Southern and Deep soul. I class Southern as the "local" sound mainly recorded in states such as Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, etc...(which do include Deep recordings) and categorise it as people categorise Detroit and Chicago sounds (there some gut renching stuff out of these places too). Yes a lot of deep was recorded in the south, but they had their dancers as well. Labels such as: Future Stars, Bluesoul, Soul-Po-Tion just to quote a few from Brian Pousts Web site. Stax from my perspective is mainly southern soul so was Southcamp and Quinvy, they too had their dancers.

George Jackson - I Found What I Wanted on Verve (IMO is southern soul, but was given a X-Over tag when it was played a Thorn). For me the same goes for Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You and Bill Brandon - Whatever I am I'm yours.

The tags should be removed and if it's a good record play it, whatever it's classification.

Social source share

The tags should be removed and if it's a good record play it, whatever it's classification.

I couldn't agree more John, unfortunately though loads of people only like a certain style of 'soul'. I love it all and because I love most of the tracks most people love on the scene that doesn't mean that most of them will love most of what I love. I'm confussed now :rolleyes:laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

From my perspective there is a difference between Southern and Deep soul. I class Southern as the "local" sound mainly recorded in states such as Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, etc...(which do include Deep recordings) and categorise it as people categorise Detroit and Chicago sounds (there some gut renching stuff out of these places too). Yes a lot of deep was recorded in the south, but they had their dancers as well. Labels such as: Future Stars, Bluesoul, Soul-Po-Tion just to quote a few from Brian Pousts Web site. Stax from my perspective is mainly southern soul so was Southcamp and Quinvy, they too had their dancers.

George Jackson - I Found What I Wanted on Verve (IMO is southern soul, but was given a X-Over tag when it was played a Thorn). For me the same goes for Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You and Bill Brandon - Whatever I am I'm yours.

I don't disagree. But I know what Goldwax means by southern, its more the deep side of things, he can't dance to fast records anymore. The man listens to 1920s blues recordings for fun.

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I don't disagree. But I know what Goldwax means by southern, its more the deep side of things, he can't dance to fast records anymore. The man listens to 1920s blues recordings for fun.

To quote the great John Lee Hooker - 'It's ALL Blues'.

And it's only YOUR fast records I don't dance to laugh.gif

Social source share

ballads , Deep soul , Steppers , two step , Quite storm , Ive got a few of them .. Soul is not about dance music for sure thumbsup.gif and Intrmentals are not soul IMO : :wicked:

Northern soul IS about dance music. And of course instrumentals can be soul music. You think not? What is the enclosed mp3 if it's not soul then?

Jr._Walker_and_The_All_Stars___What_Does_It_Take__To_Win_Your_Love__instrumental_.mp3

Social source share

deep stuff is background music to me

the vocals are awesome, i just don't like the beat (or lack thereof)

'beat ballads', i love those, mind

Social source share

I can hear vocals on that ...

Yes, Backing Vocals, Simon... Part of the Backing Track!

WDIT is a much more Soulful record with the Lead Vocal (IMO).

However, I don't entirely agree that an instrumental can't be 'Soulful' and much prefer some records as instrumentals where the vocal is not my cuppa tea i.e. "To Win Your Heart" Laura Lee... Much prefer Festival Time!

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

I like it...not as much as him indoors though...however there's a time and a place. Eg, I paid a fortune for a babysitter on Saturday night and went to the Hideaway....I may have been a bit miffed after a few vinos if I had to listen to Deep Soul! If I'm out I want something danceable..whether it be 70s, modern, RnB or out and out Northern. Otherwise I would possibly nod off huh.gif

Social source share

Yes, Backing Vocals, Simon... Part of the Backing Track!

WDIT is a much more Soulful record with the Lead Vocal (IMO).

However, I don't entirely agree that an instrumental can't be 'Soulful' and much prefer some records as instrumentals where the vocal is not my cuppa tea i.e. "To Win Your Heart" Laura Lee... Much prefer Festival Time!

Sean

I must admit when I first went to USA I heard some great saxaphone and harmonica live .. in New Orleans and Memphis.. amazing stuff ..

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

While I'm not a fan of Deep Soul by any means, same as any genre there are tracks that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up and your brain goes WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???????? I WANT IT!!!!!

For me they're few and far between, but I can understand why people do like it, same as I can understand why some people like early blues, or jazz, or heavy metal, punk, psychobilly, whatever.... THye all have 'something' which appeals. But there is a time and a place for each and every genre, and 3 in the morning at a crowded Northern nighter is probably not it (although these tired legs would probably disagree at that point biggrin.gif )

(God knows why people listen to modern pop music though.. still trying to find either the time or the place for that!)

(I think thats just me getting older though)

Social source share

Yeah but its under the Northern Soul banner ..I think keb had it off Clarkie at the 100 club way back ?

Yep. Never my cup of tea this sort of thing - under whatever banner. There was quite a bit of stuff I didn't like from messrs Darge and Henigan - during there "60's newies" heydeys. But that's a different story debate!

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Yep. Never my cup of tea this sort of thing - under whatever banner. There was quite a bit of stuff I didn't like from messrs Darge and Henigan - during there "60's newies" heydeys. But that's a different story debate!

thumbsup.gif

If only we could remember all the bad ones as well hey :wicked:

Social source share

I personally like Soul music from most sub genres, albeit not every record within the particular style.....I like what I like and not what individuals tell me I should like, each to his / her own........after all music is a very personal thing yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

In my opinion deep soul is soul music in it's purest form. The genre doesn't have pretentions to be anything else and it is this sincerity that hooked me a long time ago.

As previously stated some of the tracks that masquerade as "soul" music nowadays really is quite frightening.

Without deep soul in my life there would be one almighty gap.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

In my opinion deep soul is soul music in it's purest form. The genre doesn't have pretentions to be anything else and it is this sincerity that hooked me a long time ago.

As previously stated some of the tracks that masquerade as "soul" music nowadays really is quite frightening.

Without deep soul in my life there would be one almighty gap.

Yes but deep soul has got nothing to do with northern soul so I don't really understand why people are comparing the two.

It's pretty obvious that the deep soul lovers think of themselves as a class above everyone else so maybe they should join up with the modern soul crowd, do us all a favour and disappear up their own arseholes. No offence meant.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Only Uk Polydor as far as I know .. I think its very rare ?

it's rare but not that rare. I was telling James the other day cos he bought the subject up, I had about 5 copies of this over the years and I also discovered the vocal (on UK RCA) - the vocal is terrible incidentally laugh.gif

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

I personally like Soul music from most sub genres, albeit not every record within the particular style.....I like what I like and not what individuals tell me I should like, each to his / her own........after all music is a very personal thing :wicked:

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Yes but deep soul has got nothing to do with northern soul so I don't really understand why people are comparing the two.

Nothing to do with it - except for the artists, producers, labels, musicians, era, culture of origin........

It's pretty obvious that the deep soul lovers think of themselves as a class above everyone else so maybe they should join up with the modern soul crowd, do us all a favour and disappear up their own arseholes. No offence meant.

That's right mate - we're different league. In fact I don't believe I'm lowering myself to answer your post. And f@#k me, I like Deep and Modern. i must be the most stuck up prick on earth.

No offense taken.

Social source share

That's right mate - we're different league. In fact I don't believe I'm lowering myself to answer your post. And f@#k me, I like Deep and Modern. i must be the most stuck up prick on earth.

No offense taken.

Yeah you probably are.

Social source share

don_gardener.mp3

benny_spellman_2.mp3

Agreed Man !..............came home from work tonight in a great mood ...........then I put this VINYL LP on

Now I am Pissed of with the NS Scene .......Scooter Scene............the Missus...........EVERYTHING!!!!! :lol:

THESE SOUNDs SHOULD COME WITH A WARNING............................."THIS MIGHT MAKE PETE SMITH DEPRESSED! :lol: "

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Tlowell_fulsom.mp3

this track is a blues / soul tune about :lol: the weather at the moment near PETE SMITHS HOUSE :lol:

oh...............see all my MUCKKAS this weekend at the isle of man SCOOTER rally.......even if it rains!!!

ALWAYS LAMBRETTA.................EVEN FOR WORK ! :D LAMBRETTA ...........INNOCENTI

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!