Two Unreleased 70's Dancers

Just got two amazing unreleased 70's dancers that i think could well be popular over the comings months............

Five Wagers - Love Diet

Quality version of the current 70's spin on 20th Century by The Imagination! Sounds like the same backing track but with an earthier 'Tempts type' group vocal to it. Possibly the original version BUT every bit as good as The Imagination version. Think it's due out on a CD in the next few months but i reckon this may get the odd spin or two at quality Soul nights?

Rozetta Johnson - You better keep what you got

Due out on Paul Mooney's Shotgun label very soon - This is a VERY classy early 70's dancer from her Clintone era. Written & Produced by Sam Dees & Frederick Knight! I reckon this could get Modern AND Northern spins!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just got two amazing unreleased 70's dancers that i think could well be popular over the comings months............

Five Wagers - Love Diet

Quality version of the current 70's spin on 20th Century by The Imagination! Sounds like the same backing track but with an earthier 'Tempts type' group vocal to it. Possibly the original version BUT every bit as good as The Imagination version. Think it's due out on a CD in the next few months but i reckon this may get the odd spin or two at quality Soul nights?

Due out on Paul Mooney's Shotgun label very soon - This is a VERY classy early 70's dancer from her Clintone era. Written & Produced by Sam Dees & Frederick Knight! I reckon this could get Modern AND Northern spins!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve. I know a couple of the 5 wagers, they never mentioned love diet to me. What is it coming out on? Did they record it for Clarence Johnson or something and it never came out? You know, they have a very rare record clarence did that did actually come out, they have a record on Red Balloon (Love's like the seasons) that's a pretty good 70s sound.

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Cheers

Steve

Steve isnt this just awsome!. I heard it a little while ago and couldnt get it out of my head.

More excellant product from Pauls Selecta lable.Just essential.

Same here mate - essential!

I didn't want it to 'sneak' out and get ignored - it's too good for that!

Social source share

Hi Steve. I know a couple of the 5 wagers, they never mentioned love diet to me. What is it coming out on? Did they record it for Clarence Johnson or something and it never came out? You know, they have a very rare record clarence did that did actually come out, they have a record on Red Balloon (Love's like the seasons) that's a pretty good 70s sound.

Don't know the full story - sorry!

I presume it is Clarence Johnson related though!

There's not much by them but all they did is excellent imho

Steve

Social source share

Don't know the full story - sorry!

I presume it is Clarence Johnson related though!

There's not much by them but all they did is excellent imho

Steve

Hi Steve. What CD is the new track coming out on? Or are you saying it's being pressed on a 7" or something? I remember my friend Ed Keyes was dealing with some UK issue of some Clarence Johnson stuff, is that the thing it's coming out on?

Here is a scan of the rare red balloon 45, the only thing they did with Clarence that was actually released.

post-5120-1183386874_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hi Steve. What CD is the new track coming out on? Or are you saying it's being pressed on a 7" or something? I remember my friend Ed Keyes was dealing with some UK issue of some Clarence Johnson stuff, is that the thing it's coming out on?

Here is a scan of the rare red balloon 45, the only thing they did with Clarence that was actually released.

post-5120-1183386874_thumb.jpg

wow! that is an obscure 45!

will try and find out when, who and where it's from and come back to you

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello Bob,

How are you?

The forthcoming album South Side Soul Survey (Soulscape SSCD 7003) is due out late July and features 22 tracks produced by Clarence Johnson.

It has been put together by Garry Cape and myself with a lot of help from David Box and Edward Keyes - with liner notes by Robert Pruter.

The Five Wagers have two tracks on the album, the previously unissued "Love Diet" (recorded circa 1970) and "Love's Like The Seasons". When we got the master tapes we didn't know at first if "Love's Like The Seasons" had actually been released or not. It's a hard-to-find 45 so it's nice to finally see a label scan.

The album is ready to go and I'm just finishing the sleeve design but I'd like to use your label scan if you'd be good enough to send a higher resolution version to me at info@millbrand.com

And of course we'll credit you in the booklet.

Thanks and best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello Bob,

How are you?

The forthcoming album South Side Soul Survey (Soulscape SSCD 7003) is due out late July and features 22 tracks produced by Clarence Johnson.

It has been put together by Garry Cape and myself with a lot of help from David Box and Edward Keyes - with liner notes by Robert Pruter.

The Five Wagers have two tracks on the album, the previously unissued "Love Diet" (recorded circa 1970) and "Love's Like The Seasons". When we got the master tapes we didn't know at first if "Love's Like The Seasons" had actually been released or not. It's a hard-to-find 45 so it's nice to finally see a label scan.

The album is ready to go and I'm just finishing the sleeve design but I'd like to use your label scan if you'd be good enough to send a higher resolution version to me at info@millbrand.com

And of course we'll credit you in the booklet.

Thanks and best regards,

Paul Mooney

Hi Paul. Let me know what DPI you want the scan at and I'll scan and email it to you later today. Thanks.

Social source share

Guest Paul

Cheers

Steve

Steve isnt this just awsome!. I heard it a little while ago and couldnt get it out of my head.

More excellant product from Pauls Selecta lable.Just essential.

Hello,

The ROZETTA JOHNSON single "You Better Keep What You Got" / "Mine Was Real" is due out on Shotgun SHOT 102 (via Selecta) on July 23rd or 30th.

I'll post a short clip of "You Better Keep What You Got" but some of you may have already heard it at Soul Essence or The Orwell or on 209 Radio, Solar, etc. It was recorded circa 1970 but the master was only discovered last year.

Selecta and Shotgun 45s are usually available from dealers such as Crazy Beat, Record Corner, Soul Brother, Beatin' Rhythm, Soul Supermarket, Fat City, John Manship, Voxpop, Steve Plumb, Vivid Sound, Soul Vendor, Funky Feet etc.

Steve Plumb and Soul Supermarket are already taking advance orders on this one and so are we at Selecta.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Selecta Records Ltd

Tel: 01642 806795 / 01642 218057

Fax: 01642 800986

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hi Paul. Let me know what DPI you want the scan at and I'll scan and email it to you later today. Thanks.

Thanks a lot, Bob.

Full size JPEG in RGB or CMYK at 600 dpi will be fine (300 dpi minimum) and I'll be sure to spell your name right in the booklet!

:P

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

e-mail: info@millbrand.com

Social source share

Guest Paul

post-3850-1183402163_thumb.jpg

Here are the FIVE WAGERS as pictured on the forthcoming album South Side Soul Survey.

Very few people know that there were actually SEVEN members of the group. The other two members were hiding in the boxes!

:P

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Five Wagers - Love Diet

Absolutely love Love Diet, would be great if someone could put up a snippet of the Five Wagers version :P

Social source share

Hello,

The ROZETTA JOHNSON single "You Better Keep What You Got" / "Mine Was Real" is due out on Shotgun SHOT 102 (via Selecta) on July 23rd or 30th.

I'll post a short clip of "You Better Keep What You Got" but some of you may have already heard it at Soul Essence or The Orwell or on 209 Radio, Solar, etc. It was recorded circa 1970 but the master was only discovered last year.

Selecta and Shotgun 45s are usually available from dealers such as Crazy Beat, Record Corner, Soul Brother, Beatin' Rhythm, Soul Supermarket, Fat City, John Manship, Voxpop, Steve Plumb, Vivid Sound, Soul Vendor, Funky Feet etc.

Steve Plumb and Soul Supermarket are already taking advance orders on this one and so are we at Selecta.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Selecta Records Ltd

Tel: 01642 806795 / 01642 218057

Fax: 01642 800986

www.millbrand.com

Just to clarify what Paul has said................the copies i have for sale are via www.soulmusic.co.uk

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Cheers Sean :shades:

Actually, I didn't mean the thread as an advert for the site (honest :wub: ) - just wanted to inform folks of two quality 70's dancers coming onto the market in the near future.

New Indie labels need all the help they can get imho

Cheers

Steve

Couldn't agree more mate, which is why I gave it a subtle (or maybe not so subtle) bump!

Both great 45's Steve.

Can you please save me one of each?

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Brett F

The Five Wagers is a real grower, listened a few times now and i think i'll bag one of these, gotta say that recently their has been a healthy release of new material (plus "new" unreleased vinyl), you just have to do a bit of detective work to find them, i'm not gonna' let on what my favourites are (mean i know, but i'm not perfect :wicked: ) and it sure makes it easier on the bank balance than having to pay considerable amounts for records that you just "Gotta'" have.

Brett

Social source share

Guest Paul

When will the Five Wagers be on sale???

"Love Diet" by The Five Wagers will be featured on South Side Soul Survey (SSCD 7003) which is due out July 3rd or 30th. There are no plans for a 7" single.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Paul

The Rozetta Johnson single will be issued on Shotgun SHOT 102 on July 23rd and will also be featured on an album scheduled for release in August.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

"Love Diet" by The Five Wagers will be featured on South Side Soul Survey (SSCD 7003) which is due out July 3rd or 30th. There are no plans for a 7" single.

Paul Mooney

Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee put it out on a single :lol: it's :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!