Sam Dees Cd On Ebay - Bootleg Or ?

• Replies 18
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Paul

Hey - anyone know anything about this Sam Dees CD ???

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sam-dees-rare-cd_W0Q...1QQcmdZViewItem

I recall there was a dodgy CD being sold years back - caused quite a kerfuffle at Soul Essence - is this one of those ???

Cheers Girth

Hello,

It is an unauthorised CD containing songwriter demos of songs mostly owned by Unichappell Music Inc to who Sam Dees was signed at the time.

These BOOTLEGS were made in 1997, priced at around £30.00 each, and I can assure you that no licenses were obtained and no royalties were paid. I believe at least 1,000 copies were made at the time - possibly more since then.

Being as tactful and as diplomatic as I can be, I recall that someone whose initial are M (as in "Mike" for example) and W (as in "Ward" for example) was alleged to have been involved - either as the manufacturer and / or seller.

He certainly didn't deny it to me at the time so I'm not expecting to receive a writ ...and if I do it will go straight into the bin!

The fact that minimum bids are at £60.00 also shows immense greed. Not only are they ripping off Sam Dees, they're also ripping off soul fans.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello,

It is an unauthorised CD containing songwriter demos of songs mostly owned by Unichappell Music Inc to who Sam Dees was signed at the time.

These BOOTLEGS were made in 1997, priced at around £30.00 each, and I can assure you that no licenses were obtained and no royalties were paid. I believe at least 1,000 copies were made at the time - possibly more since then.

Being as tactful and as diplomatic as I can be, I recall that someone whose initial are M (as in "Mike" for example) and W (as in "Ward" for example) was alleged to have been involved - either as the manufacturer and / or seller.

He certainly didn't deny it to me at the time so I'm not expecting to receive a writ ...and if I do it will go straight into the bin!

The fact that minimum bids are at £60.00 also shows immense greed. Not only are they ripping off Sam Dees, they're also ripping off soul fans.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Thanks Paul, exactly the one I thought it was - I recall being offered these to sell at Crazy Beat.....we turned them down. I remember wondering if they (??) had actually managed to sell many. I didn't know of any outlets that did stock any, and there wasn't exactly an abundance of places that would anyway. At least in the UK......

Coupled with the fact this is the 1st time i've seen a copy for sale, since those at Soul Essence, I would say that not many actually made it onto the market ??? Certainly not a 1000+ copies.......

Still, would love to hear those tracks.... :lol:

Girf

Social source share

This is the CD that prompted a call to my house at 11.45pm one Monday evening, from Sam Dees instructing me that the material actually belonged to Time Warner and consisted of DEMO's recorded by Sam for such artists as Rockie Robbins, Gene Chandler, Betty Lavette etc.

A guy had sold me a CD of all of these tracks some 6-8 months earlier assuring me that he had the rights (via A&M) and that I was to have the tracks as an exclusive... until they were issued on a legitimate label.

I played "Let Me Keep You Company" and "Hang Tough" quite extensively at the time, particularly at PITCHES and Soul Essence.

A guy eventually showed up with a bagful of CD's at Yarmouth on the "After All" label and trading was initially brisk until he was effectively 'removed' from the premises after a 'whistle blow' by Rod Dearlove that the material had been pressed illegally.

Rod confronted me on the spot, since I'd been the one promoting it, and I explained that I'd been convinced that the guy had the rights to this Sam Dees "A&M" material and that Rod had better be sure before he cast aspersions on the sellers character.

At first I defended the guy, as myself and the other promoters (Kev Briscoe, John Benson & Tats Taylor) had all been convinced by the seller that these tracks were 'his'. Fair play to Rod, he was sure that he was right and that it was me and the other Pitches boys who'd been taken in and misled.

It was the night after returning from Yarmouth that Sam Dees called me to get the lowdown. I gave him the whole story and Sam assured me, in his words, that "His Ass Is Grass!" and that Time Warner would be on the case the very next day.

Tuesday morning I suggested to the guy that he'd be well advised to stay away from the venue (the following friday) until he could explain his activities.

He simply accused me of being 'Rod Dearloves puppet'.

He never knew that it was Sam Dees himself that had told me to be wary.

I still don't know if anything came of it (do you Paul?) and was, even then, prepared to give him the benefit.

Soon after this release, a CD with many of the tracks turned up on Sams own Pen Pad label (as I recall) under the title "Lovers Do". This compilation does not include "Hang Tough" though, a particularly cracking dancer! (version of Rockie Robbins).

Overall, a very sad affair.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Thanks for clearing that up Sean....didn't realise the Lovers Do CD was some of that material.....

Girf

SAM DEES After All 1997

1. Hang Tough

2. Things That Lovers Do

3. Let me Keep Your Company

4. For The Sake Of The Memories

5. Night Of The Boogie Freaks

6. Our Love Is Still Alive And Well

7. If You Decide To Leave

8. Right In The Middle Of Falling In Love

9. How Does My Love Feel

10.I Love You

LOVERS DO Pen Pad PP2001 1998

1. Roll Seven (instr.)

2. Deal It

3. How Do My Love Feel

4. Things That Lovers Do

5. Give Me Just A Little More Time

6. Trophy For Your Wall

7. Sam (instr.)

8. Roll Seven

9. For The Sake Of The Memories

10.Keep You Company

11.Thin Wall Love Affair

12.Busy Thinking About My Baby

13.If You Decide To Leave

:lol:

Social source share

Hello,

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

At the time, I was a Voices From The Shadows suscriber, and I bought this CD (After All AAR 001), which has a very poor packaging -all black and poor text. I believe that more than 1000 were issued, I'll have to check out on Voices...but I may be wrong

You're right Paul, greed is the word !

Social source share

At the time, I was a Voices From The Shadows suscriber, and I bought this CD (After All AAR 001), which has a very poor packaging -all black and poor text. I believe that more than 1000 were issued, I'll have to check out on Voices...but I may be wrong

You're right Paul, greed is the word !

The seller is actually someone we all know :thumbsup: Might be an idea to send him a message via Ebay

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Yeah the words "sam dees" and "football" in his user ID give it away. Taxi for a Man U fan then :excl:

No he is a Chelsea fan huh.gif As does or did not know any better :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Paul

This is the CD that prompted a call to my house at 11.45pm one Monday evening, from Sam Dees instructing me that the material actually belonged to Time Warner and consisted of DEMO's recorded by Sam for such artists as Rockie Robbins, Gene Chandler, Betty Lavette etc.

A guy had sold me a CD of all of these tracks some 6-8 months earlier assuring me that he had the rights (via A&M) and that I was to have the tracks as an exclusive... until they were issued on a legitimate label.

I played "Let Me Keep You Company" and "Hang Tough" quite extensively at the time, particularly at PITCHES and Soul Essence.

A guy eventually showed up with a bagful of CD's at Yarmouth on the "After All" label and trading was initially brisk until he was effectively 'removed' from the premises after a 'whistle blow' by Rod Dearlove that the material had been pressed illegally.

Rod confronted me on the spot, since I'd been the one promoting it, and I explained that I'd been convinced that the guy had the rights to this Sam Dees "A&M" material and that Rod had better be sure before he cast aspersions on the sellers character.

At first I defended the guy, as myself and the other promoters (Kev Briscoe, John Benson & Tats Taylor) had all been convinced by the seller that these tracks were 'his'. Fair play to Rod, he was sure that he was right and that it was me and the other Pitches boys who'd been taken in and misled.

It was the night after returning from Yarmouth that Sam Dees called me to get the lowdown. I gave him the whole story and Sam assured me, in his words, that "His Ass Is Grass!" and that Time Warner would be on the case the very next day.

Tuesday morning I suggested to the guy that he'd be well advised to stay away from the venue (the following friday) until he could explain his activities.

He simply accused me of being 'Rod Dearloves puppet'.

He never knew that it was Sam Dees himself that had told me to be wary.

I still don't know if anything came of it (do you Paul?) and was, even then, prepared to give him the benefit.

Soon after this release, a CD with many of the tracks turned up on Sams own Pen Pad label (as I recall) under the title "Lovers Do". This compilation does not include "Hang Tough" though, a particularly cracking dancer! (version of Rockie Robbins).

Overall, a very sad affair.

Sean

Thanks for the info, Shaun.

We made a bit of a noise at the time on behalf of Sam and they took it off the market but continued to sell them under the table.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Who Hucknell or the seller? If it's the seller then I would remember him as a Spurs man who changed his colours a few years ago ph34r.gif

Seller Buddy - Nail Hit Head :(

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Stuff such as this, is the crap side of the business.

Methinks i'll give Sam a call.....or 2

Regards

The Doc

:wicked:

Social source share

Guest garv

Stuff such as this, is the crap side of the business.

Methinks i'll give Sam a call.....or 2

Regards

The Doc

:boxing:

While your on the blower.........can you ask him if he has any dates planned for this side of the pound in the near future [ seriously :lol: ]

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!