News Flash

Guest Phil Richards

Guest Phil Richards

JUST HAD WORD FROM A LOCAL PROMOTER, WHO WILL BE PUTTING A SOUL NIGHT ON, THE 20TH JULY WITH AN ALL GIRL DJ LINE UP.

YET TO BE CONFIRMED...... BUT AS OF NOW THERE ARE AT LEAST 12 GIRL DJ's.

AS SOON AS I HAVE CONFIRMATION OF DETAILS, I WILL POST IN EVENT'S SECTION.

SO GUY'S IS THIS A GOOD OR BAD IDEA???????????????? YOUR VIEWS WELCOME.

Social source share

• Replies 176
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest garv

Girls niter at the 100 is always one of the best nights of the year.

Spot on Mikey,

Had some of the best nights @ the 100 when the ladies are behind the decks, dont know why but there`s a great vibe & musically its from a different angle but a very welcome one.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Spot on Mikey,

Had some of the best nights @ the 100 when the ladies are behind the decks, dont know why but there`s a great vibe & musically its from a different angle but a very welcome one.

Very well said, I myself am looking forward to this night!!

I personally think it's a great idea, I have to say that because one of the DJ's on the night will be my wife Sue. :excl:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm one of those "girls" and it seemed like a good idea when Max suggested it ages ago. Now I know it's only 2 weeks away I'm starting to feel a bit sick.My husband Alan isn't too keen on letting me anywhere near his precious records. Think we'll only have to play 5 or 6 records each so it won't be easy making the choice.

On the night please be kind and patient because most of us have never been on the decks before. ohmy.gif

best wishes Pat

Social source share

Guest Suzy

I'm one of those "girls" and it seemed like a good idea when Max suggested it ages ago. Now I know it's only 2 weeks away I'm starting to feel a bit sick.My husband Alan isn't too keen on letting me anywhere near his precious records. Think we'll only have to play 5 or 6 records each so it won't be easy making the choice.

On the night please be kind and patient because most of us have never been on the decks before. ohmy.gif

best wishes Pat

Hi Pat,

I'm sure we will be ok on the night, as far as I know we are all double decking, and Max is still to finalise the line up.

My husband Phil, like your's is a little reluctant to give me the key to his DJ box, but he has no choice and will do as he is told. :excl: I have purchased four records to play, which will be nice from a girl's prospective!!

I for one am looking forward to the night, should be good fun.

Suzy

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Should be very enjoyable.I cant wait.

My Dawn's having 16 pints of Strongbow cider before her spot and she's borrowing Phil Richards records so that should be very interesting. wink.gif

No Chance :excl:

Social source share

best wishes Pat

Then whats the point i say?

Oh here you are girlie we wont trust you to play any more than five records, its a crap gimmick really.

There is some cracking female DJs on the scene, and they dont need to 'borrow' any ones records. im not for all this borrowing records so people can play they should play their own, dont want to sound condesending (or what ever the word is) by saying that but at the end of the day suppose its only a laugh.

Heres and all girl Line up that would rock any venue

Dawn Brown

Jumpin Joan

Karen Crane

Nichola Anderson

Of course i would have to be on the stage with a whip to keep em all in check :excl:

Social source share

Oh here you are girlie we wont trust you to play any more than five records, its a crap gimmick really.

There is some cracking female DJs on the scene, and they dont need to 'borrow' any ones records. im not for all this borrowing records so people can play they should play their own, dont want to sound condesending (or what ever the word is) by saying that but at the end of the day suppose its only a laugh.

Dawn Brown

Jumpin Joan

Karen Crane

Nichola Anderson

Of course i would have to be on the stage with a whip to keep em all in check :excl:

Oops need to add Val Palmer to my dreamgirls line up yes.gif

Social source share

Bad idea,gone off it.............should be both sex`s and cant be politicly correct can it. laugh.gif

You could always dress up in i wig a dress Ken, your name could be Kenryetta :excl:

Social source share

We had an all girl line up down at Morden one night, it was excellant. all the girls dug deep into there other halfs record box's and pulled out the gems they liked.. (That sounds wrong but not meant to be ohmy.gif )

at the end of the day its all about going out and enjoying yourself.. and i'm sure you all will.

good luck and enjoy the night.

Social source share

You could always dress up in i wig a dress Ken, your name could be Kenryetta :thumbsup:

Oi`i`ll stikc with Ken-hard thanks :excl: and who wants to dress up as the second sex ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Dawn Brown

Jumpin Joan

Karen Crane

Nichola Anderson

Of course i would have to be on the stage with a whip to keep em all in check biggrin.gif

OH well here goes...I'll get my tin hat on ready for the backlash.

MY PLAYBOX....I PICK EM...I BUY EM...I LOVE EM & I PLAY EM....SIMPLE AS THAT !!!

I'd rather cut my hands off than play a record I dont own.

Nashee xxxx

Social source share

WILL THERE BE ANYONE DANCING !.

WONT ALL THE GUYS BE STANDING THERE,MOUTHS FOAMING @ 12 GIRL DJS. :excl:

no mellow.gif stood there gobsmakced cause they`ll play boots and stuff.And other peoples records :thumbsup: exept Val & Jo(vinylvixen)they`re the real deal not just token thingies,and Karen C she floats me boat :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dawn Brown

Jumpin Joan

Karen Crane

Nichola Anderson

:thumbsup:

Well said Baz, why should women DJs be set up as some sort of novelty act, if they are good they should get the bookings whatever sex they are :excl:

MY PLAYBOX....I PICK EM...I BUY EM...I LOVE EM & I PLAY EM....SIMPLE AS THAT !!!

Nashee xxxx

Well said girl thumbsup.gif

I personally would rather have my hands cut off than play any record (even if I had them) leave it to those who can like your fine self.

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Nashee xxxx

well said linda ..... in my opinion (so people don't get all pissy) it's a blatant gimmick and if i was one of the women i'd be embarrassed to borrow records off hubby , damaging to women dj's who have the records

Baz ..i'd add Nashee and Jodie to that list ...not women dj's ...JUST DJ's

Social source share

Nashee xxxx

You took the words right out of my mouth - Why would anyone want to DJ with records they haven't put time effort n money into collecting....

The whole point of being a DJ is to play their own records and I find it incomprehensible that anyone would consider doing otherwise - what's the point - your records portray your own style.....

No different IMO to playing CD's out n is infact an insult and discredit to women on the scene....

Do you see guy's getting DJ spot's for borrowing mate's record's... This just make's a joke of us women collector's/DJ's...

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

You took the words right out of my mouth - Why would anyone want to DJ with records they haven't put time effort n money into collecting....

The whole point of being a DJ is to play their own records and I find it incomprehensible that anyone would consider doing otherwise - what's the point - your records portray your own style.....

No different IMO to playing CD's out n is infact an insult and discredit to women on the scene....

Do you see guy's getting DJ spot's for borrowing mate's record's... This just make's a joke of us women collector's/DJ's...

Karen

=======

as long as they 've cleaned the kitchen up and done the pots im ok with it!

Social source share

Calm down everbody and chill out for gods sake. Sometimes we take this whole soul scene far too serious.

This is just a one off event even if it might be a little half heated the emphasis will be on having a good night by all. Thats all. No politics.

I know for a fact my lad and his girlfriend who are both in their early 20s will be coming to see his Mum. Neither of them have never been to a Soul night before. I'm sure if they enjoy it they will return at a later date.

Social source share

Karen

Don't think Max realised what controversy he would cause when he had an idea for a girls nite.Shall have to tell him how upset some people are at the thought of it. We know we aren't professionals like Joan(fantastic by the way).The venue we will be appearing at has no need of gimmicks as it is packed every month.Our nite will be the week after the regular one.

As to only playing your own records, as we have joint bank accounts then they are my records aren't they. In future I'd better be much more careful with my choice of vocabulary. I have actually known male djs borrow records if they have had a request but don't have their own copy with them.

best wishes Pat

Social source share

Calm down everbody and chill out for gods sake. Sometimes we take this whole soul scene far too serious.

This is just a one off event even if it might be a little half heated the emphasis will be on having a good night by all. Thats all. No politics.

I know for a fact my lad and his girlfriend who are both in their early 20s will be coming to see his Mum. Neither of them have never been to a Soul night before. I'm sure if they enjoy it they will return at a later date.

Wish I'd read your post before replying Craig.Thank you for sticking up for us. My daughter and her husband will be there too.As you said,they may even enjoy it and want to go to other nites.

Pat whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Suzy

Well said Craig,

My daughter and partner are also coming to see me DJ, something i've never done before!!

When all's said and done.... what belongs to my hubby belongs to me also.

Suzy xx

Social source share

EMPRESS BALLROOM - MEXBORO'

Yocki & Co have an all Girl line up for their Haloween Special,

Dont know the full line up but it includes Sam Evans, Brandy Sisters etc

Should be a good un wink.gif

Being Haloween I guess itl be October, will post date when I get it confirmed

M

Edited by MarkWhiteley
Social source share

Guest Suzy

====

sorry sue,,couldnt resist it...go on girls have a blast!

We certainly will Mark!! And i will thoroughly enjoy myself as i'm sure the rest of the girls will also. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Karen

thank god someone else said it first...i get loads of stick for my views about women dj's...i did the 100 club all girl line up and i have to say the sets were way more interesting than most nites as we havent really got anything to prove have we its already been pre-decided that women dj's are rubbish...as for playin someone elses records that is a dead no no...when me and nige shaw were together it was my biggest bugbear cos people always asked "are those your boyfriends records ? ".....in fact as recent as 2 weeks ago someone asked me "what happened to yours and niges records when u split up" :thumbsup: ...easy innit we never actually jointly owned any records...ive sweated over collecting this my 3rd collection and i dont like having it belittled in any way shape or form...when people say "oh she did a great spot " you can almost hear it under their breaths ( for a girl ) rolleyes.gif

cookie :excl:

Social source share

Already done this... about 2yrs ago at the 3Bs Soul Club - enjoyed this night as well, most girl djs have a better ear for our music than us blokes - don't laugh, its true.... take Joan or Ali Nightingale... love there stuff

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

thank god someone else said it first...i get loads of stick for my views about women dj's...i did the 100 club all girl line up and i have to say the sets were way more interesting than most nites as we havent really got anything to prove have we its already been pre-decided that women dj's are rubbish...as for playin someone elses records that is a dead no no...when me and nige shaw were together it was my biggest bugbear cos people always asked "are those your boyfriends records ? ".....in fact as recent as 2 weeks ago someone asked me "what happened to yours and niges records when u split up" :ohmy: ...easy innit we never actually jointly owned any records...ive sweated over collecting this my 3rd collection and i dont like having it belittled in any way shape or form...when people say "oh she did a great spot " you can almost hear it under their breaths ( for a girl ) :rolleyes:

cookie wicked.gif

Hi Cookie...

I was collecting long before I met Ted....I used to absolutely seethe when I did a spot and peeps used to go running over to Ted...What was that record..how much..where did YOU get it. They dont do It no more mind you...I think I make it pretty clear to most peeps...who's records they are.THE ARE NOT OURS

They're my babies...I've got into debt when I've had a buying fest...I've shed tears over having to sell some to get out of debt or to buy others...stayed up all night waiting to bid on long time wants and must haves..I've had the bloody screaming habdabs when I've missed out......Makes me sound like a mad woman dosent it.??? or maybe thats how record collecting gets ya. :ohmy:

Social source share

Funny you should say that Tabs, I'm orf to watch Kylee DJ that night, so won't be able to get to this one.

Funny I'll be at the same venue as well.

I assume you mean the first do at Warwick.

I'll get you a water in :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Dawn Brown

Jumpin Joan

Karen Crane

Nichola Anderson

Of course i would have to be on the stage with a whip to keep em all in check :rolleyes:

Just lke to say at this point, The night will be about having fun.

So as for only playing 5-6 records the girls will be playing 30-45 mins double decking.

I cannot see that this is insulting to any body, or understand why anybody would say it was.

Max's venue is always packed so he does'nt need any gimmicks, infact he booked Kylie (girl DJ) last year at the very same venue, was that a gimmick? I don't think so, she played a great spot!! this is a one off night because the date became available as goodyears wolvo had been cancelled.

It will be £2 entrance fee on the night to cover costs.... none of the girl DJ's will be getting paid, the regular DJ team will be there to support and help them if need be.

As for borrowing records, In Sue's case she does'nt have to borrow any of my records, she has her own, but if she wants to she is quite welcome to borrow them. And I should'nt even be using the word borrow because as husband and wife we share everything is'nt that the way it's supposed to be? infact there are records in my DJ box that she has purchased for me. Does that mean that i cannot play them? So can everyone just chill out and accept the night for what it is.

This is a girlies night, and i for one will support it, and any other girl DJ that's on that night.

Social source share

Hi Cookie...

I was collecting long before I met Ted....I used to absolutely seethe when I did a spot and peeps used to go running over to Ted...What was that record..how much..where did YOU get it. They dont do It no more mind you...I think I make it pretty clear to most peeps...who's records they are.THE ARE NOT OURS

They're my babies...I've got into debt when I've had a buying fest...I've shed tears over having to sell some to get out of debt or to buy others...stayed up all night waiting to bid on long time wants and must haves..I've had the bloody screaming habdabs when I've missed out......Makes me sound like a mad woman dosent it.??? or maybe thats how record collecting gets ya. ohmy.gif

There are already plenty of good girlie DJs out there, who have their own records, and they are getting DJ spots around the country, and they are deserved spots as well. Especially as they get more bookings when people have heard them DJ. I've always supported girls DJing, and in fact said Karen Crane did the best spot at the recent Aquarius niter to my ears, and said Liana did the best spot at Winsford two weeks ago. Sian's also right about the girls who have DJ'ed in the Freestyle room at Rugby, they all got the spots because they had the records, their own records, and wanted to DJ, and proved they could do it as well as the blokes!

Cookie is right about the 100 Club nights as well, you do get a better variety of music on the all girl line up.

No offense meant to those wives who have volunteered, but if you really want to DJ, start collecting your own records and don't start DJing until you have enough to do a spot, otherwise you are just demeaning the efforts of all the other girls who have collected, and competed, against the blokes.

Anyway, girlies look prettier, and tend to smell nicer, behind the decks :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Guest rachel

So can everyone just chill out and accept the night for what it is.

Bit confused as to why you would start a topic asking for people's opinions as to whether it was a good idea or not, then tell them all to chill out when they express those opinions...?

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

There are already plenty of good girlie DJs out there, who have their own records, and they are getting DJ spots around the country, and they are deserved spots as well. Especially as they get more bookings when people have heard them DJ. I've always supported girls DJing, and in fact said Karen Crane did the best spot at the recent Aquarius niter to my ears. Sian's also right about the girls who have DJ'ed in the Freestyle room at Rugby, they all got the spots because they had the records, their own records, and wanted to DJ, and proved they could do it as well as the blokes!

Cookie is right about the 100 Club nights as well, you do get a better variety of music on the all girl line up.

No offense meant to those wives who have volunteered, but if you really want to DJ, start collecting your own records and don't start DJing until you have enough to do a spot, otherwise you are just demeaning the efforts of all the other girls who have collected, and competed, against the blokes.

Anyway, girlies look prettier, and tend to smell nicer, behind the decks :rolleyes:

None of the girls volunteered, They where all asked.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Bit confused as to why you would start a topic asking for people's opinions as to whether it was a good idea or not, then tell them all to chill out when they express those opinions...?

There is no confusion, I was just asking a question in general.

I for one have no problem with girl DJ's and i am sure if Max was running a normal soul night and wanted to book some girl DJ's he would have booked some of the countries leading girl DJ's.

This night is just about a fun night, which has been taken out of context.

Social source share

Don't get me wrong, I take my hat off to these ladies, more bottle than I have, but it's just the way it has been put accross that makes it look like some sort of variety act i.e. borrowing their partners records etc and perhaps you are right they are in joint ownership. The respect has to be given to the likes of Jo, Linda ,Karen C, etc who have built up their own collections.

Hope the night goes well and you all have a great time. :rolleyes:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest rachel

There is no confusion, I was just asking a question in general.

I for one have no problem with girl DJ's and i am sure if Max was running a normal soul night and wanted to book some girl DJ's he would have booked some of the countries leading girl DJ's.

This night is just about a fun night, which has been taken out of context.

Can't see how it's out of context if you ask a question about whether people think this night is a good or a bad idea and they answer you!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!