Mad For It

• Replies 90
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Because they are the most untalented, useless bunch of c*nts ever to make a record??

link

I love the Mondays - that is my youth ! I tried to get into the Hacienda when I was 14 but they wouldn't let me in !

Hammy

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I love the Mondays - that is my youth !  I tried to get into the Hacienda when I was 14 but they wouldn't let me in !

Hammy

link

I was lucky enough to be in Manchester from 1989 to 1992. Went along to the Wednesday student nights loads of times. Loved the Mondays and Stone Roses, wasnt so fond of the Inspiral Carpets, but they probably had the most enthusiastic following. James, tho not being a 'madchester' band went down a bomb, and the Farm always ended up in a ruck. Good nights tho. 24 Hour Party People is a pretty good flick telling how it was. Tho I only saw the 'front of stage stuff'.

Social source share

I love the Mondays - that is my youth !  I tried to get into the Hacienda when I was 14 but they wouldn't let me in !

Hammy

link

Ohhhh yeah..... the soundtrack to my teens :thumbup: happy memories of being 16, wearing big cord flares and little adidas trainers bouncing about to indie tunes :thumbup: First started hearing 60s stuff and bits of what I now know is northern by going to clubs that played a mix of all the above...

Rachel

Social source share

I was lucky enough to be in Manchester from 1989 to 1992. Went along to the Wednesday student nights loads of times. Loved the Mondays and Stone Roses, wasnt so fond of the Inspiral Carpets, but they probably had the most enthusiastic following. James, tho not being a 'madchester' band went down a bomb, and the Farm always ended up in a ruck. Good nights tho. 24 Hour Party People is a pretty good flick telling how it was. Tho I only saw the 'front of stage stuff'.

link

In terms of a venue and its influence on the direction of youth culture and music that followed it's a million times more significant than any northern venue you'd care to mention :thumbup::thumbup:

Hammy

Social source share

The 'madchester' thing was my youth too. I was 16 in 1990 and it was a great time to be around at that age. The mondays were great! OK they were not beaming with talent but they were very entertaining and got kids up on the dancefloor.

It was much better than the Nirvana grunge movement and britpop. They were closest you would get to the Pistols for attitude imo. Oasis would have loved to have been the Mondays in their prime.

Shane

Social source share

The 'madchester' thing was my youth too. I was 16 in 1990 and it was a great time to be around at that age. The mondays were great! OK they were not beaming with talent but they were very entertaining and got kids up on the dancefloor.

It was much better than the Nirvana grunge movement and britpop. They were closest you would get to the Pistols for attitude imo. Oasis would have loved to have been the Mondays in their prime.

Shane

link

Would you like to name a Mondays song that stands up to any Nirvana song?

Social source share

Would you like to name a Mondays song that stands up to any Nirvana song?

link

all of them pete. now go and have a bath and be more positive about life. :thumbup:

Shane

Social source share

Poor answer. Real answer is 'none of them' because they either covered someone else's songs or wrote jibberish.

Worst group EVER.

link

yes but they were great fun on a friday night in your local student club when you were 16 years old. that is where you would hear james brown and aretha and other funk tunes. it was a great scene for a while. then the americans turned up and ruined it with all that seattle rubbish. the mondays got kids onto the dancefloor.

just like the pop stuff at wigan got kids on the dancefloor. it wasnt intelligent stuff it was about being 16 trying gear for the first time and enjoying yourself. its not to be compared with other genres of music. The two-tone movement was very similar in ats attitude and quality imo.

Shane

Social source share

yes but they were great fun on a friday night in your local student club when you were 16 years old. that is where you would hear james brown and aretha and other funk tunes. it was a great scene for a while. then the americans turned up and ruined it with all that seattle rubbish. the mondays got kids onto the dancefloor.

just like the pop stuff at wigan got kids on the dancefloor. it wasnt intelligent stuff it was about being 16 trying gear for the first time and enjoying yourself. its not to be compared with other genres of music. The two-tone movement was very similar in ats attitude and quality imo.

Shane

link

Didn't know the Mondays did the Cossack Shane ? :thumbup:

Social source share

Didn't know the Mondays did the Cossack Shane ?  :thumbup:

link

:thumbup:biggrin.gif

been in there a few times steve. you had to have a few pints before though. those big muscley lesbians would terrify you.

shane

Social source share

:thumbup:   :thumbup:

been in there a few times steve. you had to have a few pints before though. those big muscley lesbians would terrify you.

shane

link

The gays didn't bother you then ? biggrin.gif

Social source share

The gays didn't bother you then ?  biggrin.gif

link

nah they looked after me for some reason. :thumbup:

they always used to check on me in the toilets to see if i was alright. bless them.

i was only 17 and it was very kind of them. :thumbup:

Shane

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

To be honest i could always take or leave the Mondays they were OK but Mani one of the DJ's mentioned surely is a pivital figure having been influential in the Stone Roses and Primal Scream probably the two leading bands of the genre (?) from that era.

Mani is a top geez as well with a genuine love for Northern as well as many other styles of music

Trouty

Social source share

To be honest i could always take or leave the Mondays they were OK but Mani one of the DJ's mentioned surely is a pivital figure having been influential in the Stone Roses and Primal Scream probably the two leading bands of the genre (?) from that era.

Mani is a top geez as well with a genuine love for Northern as well as many other styles of music

Trouty

link

great guy mani. i once met him outside a club in sheffield about 5 years ago. he parked his car beside mine and I said hello. he then put his arm around me and walked to the venue with his box of records with me and joked how he was going to clear the dancefloor. he got me in free and shook my hand and said goodbye. he played a few northern oldies amongst the monday/smiths/jam etc.

some real characters came out of that scene in the late 80's/early 90's. they were working class lads who were up for a good time. all we get now is all these crap indie/rock acts doing ballads (coldplay/keane/embrace etc.)

Shane

Social source share

I used to go to the Hacienda a couple of times a month for a good few years.

I was more your New York Garage man myself, and early doors at the Hac was superb for me. I'd just go buy anything on 'Strictly Rhythm' label at Eastern Bloc records on a Saturday when all the new imports came in. Mike Pickering, Graeme Park, etc. brilliant DJ's.

As you all know Mike Pickering put together M People and cut the 'Northern Soul' album.

I never really got into the Carpets/James 'Indie' scene. I was only interested in a decent beat and guitar music didn't do it for me. Plus the birds in the Hac were all dreamy. Really hard to pull in there. I did have a bit of success though, in my more slimline formative years.

Indie for me was like how big you could get your flares and hooded tops. I think I even saw a pair of hooded jeans once LOL!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I saw James in 1984 supporting The Smiths.  They were just another guitar band with one good song (hmyn from a village), after that it was all downhill  :yes:

link

Mark and I did one of their tours where Eat supported James. Eat blew them off stage, but they were the greatest rock n roll band ever :thumbsup:

P1$$ing in the wind probably, but anyone one here heard of Eat?

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Didn't Twisted Wheel regular and Northern Soul fan / DJ Phil Saxe manage them or one of that lot? He was at the 100 Club Xmas do and the CIS on Saturday still misbehaving! Bloody good chap.

link

Yeah, he was the first mondays manager. Used to own a clothes shop where the mondays shopped and it went on fron there.

I really loved the happy mondays. My cousins husband got me listening to all the manchester stuff and i got into it in a big way.......until i discovered northern soul about 3 years ago.

I think nirvana are a great group too, but the mondays are better for me.

As for clint boon playing a selection of northern songs......please!

His idea of a northern set is playing the snake followed by tainted love. I once asked him to play just a little misunderstanding and he said no chance cos noone would know it!!!!

Mani is a big northern fan. My dads mate went on holiday and mani was in the same hotel. He had loads of northern cd's with him and was an all round good egg!

Social source share

James were awful imo. they shouldnt be compared to the mondays/roses. they were art school/musos. hated them.

link

They weren't really part of the madchester scene music wise, but i do think they have some great songs. Say something is class.

Social source share

Oh come on. Saying The Mondays were better than Nirvana is like saying Tom Jones is a better soul singer than Levi Stubbs.

Once again; they had no talent; they had no songs; they could barely play their instruments; their singer couldn't sing.

And before anyone says 'sounds like the Sex Pistols'...they had everything and paved the way for the talentless oafs and overrated druggies from Madchester.

:graywanker: :graywanker: :graywanker:

no offence like

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Oh come on. Saying The Mondays were better than Nirvana is like saying Tom Jones is a better soul singer than Levi Stubbs.

Once again; they had no talent; they had no songs; they could barely play their instruments; their singer couldn't sing.

And before anyone says 'sounds like the Sex Pistols'...they had everything and paved the way for the talentless oafs and overrated druggies from Madchester.

:graywanker:  :graywanker:  :graywanker:

no offence like

link

Did you just slag the mondays cos they were druggies?

What about mr cobain's love affair with captain jack?

I do think that nirvana were really good. Kurt had such a haunting voice and on the unpugged album he reached his peak IMO.

But the mondays had a raw edge about them. All no hopers with a bit of hope.

I think that they were a really important band, just what music needed at the time.

Songs like WFL, do it better, tart tart, kuff dam, fooking amazing and i wont be told otherwise!!

So there :thumbsup:

Social source share

I saw James in 1984 supporting The Smiths.  They were just another guitar band with one good song (hmyn from a village), after that it was all downhill  :thumbsup:

link

I didn't mind the lead singer - is it Tim Booth? - as he was a Leeds fan.

I remember going with my Uncle to see the Happy Mondays (with I think Oasis supporting???) at the Astoria, in Leeds about '87 or '88 before they made it big. He was into all the bands of the 80's ACR, Quando Quango, Stockholm Monsters, China Crisis etc.

I think Mr Ryder was a bit worse for wear and started mouthing off about 'scum' near the end. Leeds fans weren't having that and proceed to chin all the security and head for the stage. They all went out a back door and drove off in a van, so all their stuff got looted on the stage. Happy days.

It was dead exciting as a young 'un!

Social source share

its not just the music its a lot to do with the scene. i was around the pubs and clubs and the atmosphere with the mondays crowd was far better. the nirvana lot were usually bedsit dwellers who talked about the end of the world and eat fair trade lentils. it was much more fun jumping about to primal scream with a bottle of poppers in your hand. the clothes were much better too. i didnt go for those long cardigans black eyeliner and painted doc martins.

it was a choice similar to the mods/rockers i suppose. didnt last long and will not go down in history for much but it was my time. i enjoyed it. plenty of good dance music acts then too like 808 state etc.

forget the soup dragons/northside/farm though! :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Did you just slag the mondays cos they were druggies?

What about mr cobain's love affair with captain jack?

I do think that nirvana were really good. Kurt had such a haunting voice and on the unpugged album he reached his peak IMO.

But the mondays had a raw edge about them. All no hopers with a bit of hope.

I think that they were a really important band, just what music needed at the time.

Songs like WFL, do it better, tart tart, kuff dam, fooking amazing and i wont be told otherwise!!

So there :thumbsup:

link

Fair enough. Apart from the fact that Nirvana almost singlehandedly resurrected rock music from certain death.

Anyway sod this, to each his own, I still say think the Mondays had nothing to offer whatsoever and the Roses had one side of an album, Inspirals had 2 good singles. And New Order were terrible after 1984.

Social source share

its not just the music its a lot to do with the scene. i was around the pubs and clubs and the atmosphere with the mondays crowd was far better. the nirvana lot were usually bedsit dwellers who talked about the end of the world and eat fair trade lentils. it was much more fun jumping about to primal scream with a bottle of poppers in your hand. the clothes were much better too. i didnt go for those long cardigans black eyeliner and painted doc martins.

it was a choice similar to the mods/rockers i suppose. didnt last long and will not go down in history for much but it was my time. i enjoyed it. plenty of good dance music acts then too like 808 state etc.

forget the soup dragons/northside/farm though!  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

I always wanted to be around for that scene when i was younger.

Nirvana fans still are a bunch of bed wetters that hang around librarys or banstands armed only with their blue rizla and golden virginia.

Goths are a funny bunch. Id definitely take the Tommy from corrie approach if my kid was a goth. Or lock them in the shed until they saw sense.

Social source share

Fair enough.  Apart from the fact that Nirvana almost singlehandedly resurrected rock music from certain death. 

Anyway sod this, to each his own, I still say think the Mondays had nothing to offer whatsoever and the Roses had one side of an album, Inspirals had 2 good singles.  And New Order were terrible after 1984.

link

Id agree with you on the new order front and about nirvana. Not too keen on inspirals and love the roses.

It makes a change to have a thread about different types of music!

Social source share

While all you lot were listening to this rabble....i was supporting rare soul in Northern England.....Bradford....Sheffield..Rotherham etc......

ps actually went to see the Mondays around 88, went with all my football mates had a blast....thought Ryder was superb.also went to Sunderland away then after all the chaos got a lift back to Sheffield (i thought) instead ended up in a club called Thunderdrome( Manchester/Leeds ?) listening to some of the worst F*********** music ever, then i finally got home to my soul sanctuary about 6am.

Social source share

While all you lot were listening to this rabble....i was supporting rare soul in Northern England.....Bradford....Sheffield..Rotherham etc......

link

Whoah! I never stopped and have never stopped 'supporting northern soul' - I just like other sorts of music and have always gone to see bands - I'd much rather have watched a punk band than a soul act anyday

Social source share

Whoah!  I never stopped and have never stopped 'supporting northern soul' - I just like other sorts of music and have always gone to see bands - I'd much rather have watched a punk band than a soul act anyday

link

i agree pete. i would rather see a punk band than a soul act anyday too. a lot of the live stuff at the weekenders is very hit or miss for me.

Social source share

ps actually went to see the Mondays around 88, went with all my football mates had a blast....thought Ryder was superb.also went to Sunderland away then after all the chaos got a lift back to Sheffield (i thought) instead ended up in a club called Thunderdrome( Manchester/Leeds ?) listening to some of the worst F*********** music ever, then i finally got home to my soul sanctuary about 6am.

link

It was the 'Thunderdome' on Oldham Rd, Manchester. It was a dirty old bingo hall that got pulled down about 10 years ago.

I did go there once. And I could not believe what went on in open view. A real eye opener. Mind you, the Caveman-like mentallity of the mancs liked all that beepy car-alarm music shit. Whereas the slicker guys from Yorkshire preferred all the Soulful house stuff like Ten City, Joe Smooth etc.

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Id agree with you on the new order front and about nirvana. Not too keen on inspirals and love the roses.

It makes a change to have a thread about different types of music!

link

Mark (my bruv for those who dont know0, and I missed backstage passes at one of nirvana's first UK gigs. We had just finished a tour with somebody (Levellers and NMA poss) and were too tired to see a bande we hadnt heard of. Regret it big time.

I did get to see them once, but at Reading. Its not the same as a grotty club with a low sweaty cieling.

The farm before the Record company made them get rid of the brass section were quite soulful at times, in a Commitments kinda way. Once they signed the record company wanted to jump on the Madchester thing, and it all went tits up. probably as they were scousers!! Its like asking Ian holloway to present the awards at the Bristol City end of season party. (yes it probably is in October each year :thumbsup: )

Social source share

I always wanted to be around for that scene when i was younger.

Nirvana fans still are a bunch of bed wetters that hang around librarys or banstands armed only with their blue rizla and golden virginia.

Goths are a funny bunch. Id definitely take the Tommy from corrie approach if my kid was a goth. Or lock them in the shed until they saw sense.

link

bang on mate!

Shane

Social source share

I used to go to the Hacienda a couple of times a month for a good few years.

I was more your New York Garage man myself, and early doors at the Hac was superb for me. I'd just go buy anything on 'Strictly Rhythm' label at Eastern Bloc records on a Saturday when all the new imports came in. Mike Pickering, Graeme Park, etc. brilliant DJ's.

link

Same here Soulsville, I used to visit the Hac for Graham Park - and before that where he was resident at the Garage at Nottingham. Also bought shed loads of SR, Nervous etc. Started off loving chicago, NY, New Jersey sound stuff but graduated onto Detroit: Kevin Saunderson, Derek May Juan Atkins etc. Still love and have a ear for artists like Moody Man.

You'd be suprised how many regulars on the Soul Scene in the 80s / 90s (including soul source regular Jocko) could be seen in clubs like the Hac and Venus in Notts.

Social source share

Whoah!  I never stopped and have never stopped 'supporting northern soul' - I just like other sorts of music and have always gone to see bands - I'd much rather have watched a punk band than a soul act anyday

link

I never stopped liking Northern then too.

I remember one of the greatest ever Leeds matches I went to was straight from Queens Hall Allnighter, Bradford.

I left there about 6:30 to meet the coach in Leeds at 7:00 and then straight to Atherton (Near Lichfield??) for a boozer to open up for us. We went on to win 4-1, and also the title that year. 1992, a great year! :thumbsup:

Aston Villa it was, and on telly!

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

link

I would've done if I'd known what it was :thumbsup:

Social source share

i agree pete. i would rather see a punk band than a soul act anyday too. a lot of the live stuff at the weekenders is very hit or miss for me.

link

Can see that viewpoint Shane, i remember seeing Edwin Starr at Clifton Hall circa 82/83 at that age i just wanted to hear the vinyl studio release and not a poor live version, but in hindsight i regret not taking an interest (made up for it since saw Edwin on a few occasions, brilliant singer) Thought last years acts at Prestatyn were an absolute joy, also remember seeing the ric-tic revue at the Ritz all dayer back in 1983..Pat Lewis,Al Kent,Lou Ragland JJ Barnes etc...one of my fav soul times ever.

ps did go and see a Motown revue around 1988 in Sheffield and left before the end, awful backing musicians seemed to want everything played at 100 mile per hour :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

So am I but it don't mean I ought to be worshipped for having no talent  wink.gif

link

:yes: I don't know about worshipped more like horsewhipped :yes::P

Troutster :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

link

Its good to listen to other stuff too Brett.

keeps reminding us why Northern Soul is our fave kinda music.

I once played a tape of Pat and Dave at Stafford to the Wonder Stuff lads, on a bus up to Kidderminster.

It was like the Eton Wall game. Them trying to remove the tape, me defending the tape player for all I was worth. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Its good to listen to other stuff too Brett.

keeps reminding us why Northern Soul is our fave kinda music.

I once played a tape of Pat and Dave at Stafford to the Wonder Stuff lads, on a bus up to Kidderminster.

It was like the Eton Wall game. Them trying to remove the tape, me defending the tape player for all I was worth. :thumbsup:

link

:yes:

Social source share

Same here Soulsville, I used to visit the Hac for Graham Park - and before that where he was resident at the Garage at Nottingham. Also bought shed loads of SR, Nervous etc. Started off loving chicago, NY, New Jersey sound stuff but graduated onto Detroit: Kevin Saunderson, Derek May Juan Atkins etc. Still love and have a ear for artists like Moody Man.

You'd be suprised how many regulars on the Soul Scene in the 80s / 90s (including soul source regular Jocko) could be seen in clubs like the Hac and Venus in Notts.

link

I am not alone then!

Actually, I used to meet up at the Queens Hall Allnighters with a big firm from Nottingham. Great crowd they were, although a bit older than me (I was 16-17 then), Curtain hair-cuts and pony tails, all slick designer clothes. We used to go down to Renaissance at Mansfield for a 'Club' night and go to Bradford for our Soul nights.

I did all the clubs: Hac, Shelleys, Venus, Shoom, Quadrant Park, Legends.

Thing was, even though I loved the Soul, there was never any nice women my age, that's why we went clubbing.

Nothing changes :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Manc punk bands like the Buzzcocks, Slaughter and The Dogs and the Drones were much more fun than the Pistols. Them and the Damned, Clash and Jam had regular fans not just fashionistas.

link

If you haven't got it you would probably enjoy Don Lett's "Punk Rock Movie" Ady...great footage of Slaughter & The Dogs on there, their gimmick appears to be to cover themselves in talc! Plus the usual suspects. Also there are a couple of German documentaries, Punk In London and - I forget the other but I've got it - one of these has The Killjoys on it, lead singer Kevin Rowland.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!