Bunky's Pick

Guest Netspeaky

Guest Netspeaky

I have numerous 60's & 70's records with "BUNKY'S PICK" on the "A" play side.

Anybody know when the first one appeared?

Anybody know when the last one appeared?

Is Bunky still with us?

Not sure when the Skool Boyz actually came out but I would gather it was in the 80's, can someone put me right.

post-1838-1183498565_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have numerous 60's & 70's records with "BUNKY'S PICK" on the "A" play side.

Is Bunky still with us?

Not sure when the Skool Boyz actually came out but I would gather it was in the 80's, can someone put me right.

The skool boyz record you posted is from '83. Evolved out of the group Living Proof / Flavor (which was also related to the triple s connection). Lead of all the groups was Stan Sheppard, Bunky's son. Stan was previously in the Impalas on Bunky. I think another of Bunky's sons was also in the Skool Boyz. I heard Bunky had passed but I'm not 100% sure.

Social source share

I have numerous 60's & 70's records with "BUNKY'S PICK" on the "A" play side.

Is Bunky still with us?

BUNKY was a DJ and did have his own label, with some interesting tracks, namely the very rare copy of Nolan Chance ' just like the weather' BUNKY, not many around, last count was one, maybe more now.

SHEEP

Social source share

BUNKY was a DJ and did have his own label, with some interesting tracks, namely the very rare copy of Nolan Chance ' just like the weather' BUNKY, not many around, last count was one, maybe more now.

SHEEP

I don't think he was a DJ.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I don't think he was a DJ.

Indeed he was not, and 'Bunky's Pick' has nothing to do with DJ'ing either, as it appeared on both promo and stock copies of almost every record that he had something to do with.

Before he had the Bunky label he owned 50% of Constellation, which I think is where the first instances of 'Bunky's Pick' can be found. Prior to that he worked for Vee Jay and also had a finger in several smaller Chicago labels including the likes of Apex and Nat. He discovered the Dukays, and thus Gene Chandler, and obviously he gave his name to the Sheppards.

After Constellation and Bunky, he was involved in the Down To Earth and Lamarr labels, of course.

His son Stan was indeed in the groups previously mentioned, and I believe that he was in the excellent late 80s smooth soul act, By All Means, as well.

Apparently he liked to gamble, poker being his game of choice, and he gambled away his piece of most of the labels he had a stake in.

He's the sort of person that would probably have a great story to tell, were it not for the fact that he's gone to meet his maker...

BTW re: "Just Like The Weather" on Bunky - I personally know of four people who own or who have owned this - and I doubt that they are the only four people in the world who do - so that kind of debunks the 'only one about' theory posted earlier in this thread.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Indeed he was not, and 'Bunky's Pick' has nothing to do with DJ'ing either, as it appeared on both promo and stock copies of almost every record that he had something to do with.

Before he had the Bunky label he owned 50% of Constellation, which I think is where the first instances of 'Bunky's Pick' can be found. Prior to that he worked for Vee Jay and also had a finger in several smaller Chicago labels including the likes of Apex and Nat. He discovered the Dukays, and thus Gene Chandler, and obviously he gave his name to the Sheppards.

After Constellation and Bunky, he was involved in the Down To Earth and Lamarr labels, of course.

His son Stan was indeed in the groups previously mentioned, and I believe that he was in the excellent late 80s smooth soul act, By All Means, as well.

Apparently he liked to gamble, poker being his game of choice, and he gambled away his piece of most of the labels he had a stake in.

He's the sort of person that would probably have a great story to tell, were it not for the fact that he's gone to meet his maker...

BTW re: "Just Like The Weather" on Bunky - I personally know of four people who own or who have owned this - and I doubt that they are the only four people in the world who do - so that kind of debunks the 'only one about' theory posted earlier in this thread.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a 'bunky's pick' on the blue and white-label version of the ballads on vee jay. It's probably the earliest I've seen and I think predates the bunky label stuff.

Are you sure he discovered the Dukays? I know their manager was a woman, Bernice Williams, who also managed the Starlets and Accents. She's the adult woman's voice on the Starlet's "tell him no".

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm pretty sure I've seen a 'bunky's pick' on the blue and white-label version of the ballads on vee jay. It's probably the earliest I've seen and I think predates the bunky label stuff.

Are you sure he discovered the Dukays? I know their manager was a woman, Bernice Williams, who also managed the Starlets and Accents. She's the adult woman's voice on the Starlet's "tell him no".

Yes, that's right about Bernice Williams, sorry I stated otherwise. I think, though, that Nat was a co-enterprise of Bunky and Carl Davis, and that's where I skipped a link. Bernice, of course, also wrote the flipsides of a few Dukays and Gene Chandler 45s.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Interesting facts, but what was the reason regards the "BUNKY'S PICK" was it plain vanity or did it have some clout with DJ's so that they would play his records, I know it was on what we would call the "A" side but would have though it wouldn't have made a difference on the issues.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!