Etta James On Motown?

I'm reading"The history of popular music" written by two Norwegian guys. In the chapter about soul music and they are listing some names of artists who got a carrier at Motown, and among them they are also naming Etta James. Did she ever do anything on Motown? :) I thought she was mostly a Chess artist.

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm reading"The history of popular music" written by two Norwegian guys. In the chapter about soul music and they are listing some names of artists who got a carrier at Motown, and among them they are also naming Etta James. Did she ever do anything on Motown? :wub: I thought she was mostly a Chess artist.

Maybe she was on Motown in Norway :shades::lol::lol:

Seriously, I think that they're a bit confused over the fact that Harvey Fuqua was Etta's boyfiend for quite a while in the 50s, before he married Gwen Gordy of the Motown dynasty. Etta's early Modern and Chess recordings include a bunch of songs that were written by the likes of Berry Gordy Jr., Roquel Billy 'Tyran Carlo' Davis and the aforementioned Gwen, but that was about as far as any Motown connection went.

Etta, who was discovered by Johnny Otis, went from Modern (1954-58) to Argo/Cadet/Chess (1958-73 0r 74), thence to Warner Brothers and other labels, none of which were Motown related.

Social source share

Etta's early Modern and Chess recordings include a bunch of songs that were written by the likes of Berry Gordy Jr., Roquel Billy 'Tyran Carlo' Davis and the aforementioned Gwen, but that was about as far as any Motown connection went.

This might be why they included her, thanks a lot guys!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!