Denise Lasalle

Alamo

I have a 3 track White promo 45 (with Phonogram matrix) with Denise Lasalle - Do Me Right, Little Milton - Grits Aint Goceries & Diane Davidson - Sympathy

Does anyone now when this was issued and if the Denise Lasalle number was ever issued on any other 45's.

Any other information about this record would be appreciated. Have attached a jpg.

regards -Alamo

post-4286-1183552455_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There were at least 2 Phonogram Promo EPs (both without covers featuring tracks from the Janus / Westbound / Chess catalogue issued in 1973:

VARIOUS PHONOGRAM 1 SYMPATHY - DIANE DAVIDSON / GRITS AIN'T GROCERIES - LITTLE MILTON / DO ME RIGHT - DENISE LASALLE

VARIOUS PHONOGRAM 6 SUZIE Q - DALE HAWKINS / MONEY - DON COVAY / LONG LIVE THE KING - DETROIT EMERALDS / DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF - CISSY HOUSTON

Edited by sitc01
Social source share

Denise Lasalle was a truly massive Mr M's record for about 2 months in 1977, they may even have repressed it due to demand, or someone found the old stock - and it was always big here in the Midlands. Never hear it nowadays - or since about 1980 to be honest

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There were at least 2 Phonogram Promo EPs (both without covers featuring tracks from the Janus / Westbound / Chess catalogue issued in 1973:

VARIOUS PHONOGRAM 1 SYMPATHY - DIANE DAVIDSON / GRITS AIN'T GROCERIES - LITTLE MILTON / DO ME RIGHT - DENISE LASALLE

VARIOUS PHONOGRAM 6 SUZIE Q - DALE HAWKINS / MONEY - DON COVAY / LONG LIVE THE KING - DETROIT EMERALDS / DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF - CISSY HOUSTON

There's another one that I have at home, and that did have a special 'house bag'. I can't check it out yet as I'm at work but it contains

Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightnin'

Woody Herman - I Can't Get Next To You

Paul Gayten - The Music Goes 'Round And Round (big old 6Ts West Hampstead tune, used to play it off this EP in fact!)

...and one other track which, from memory is Jimmy McCracklin's "The Walk" (also a West Hampstead 6Ts record)

Will try to confirm that, and give you the cat. no. when I get home tonight.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Adam G

Denise Lasalle was a truly massive Mr M's record for about 2 months in 1977, they may even have repressed it due to demand, or someone found the old stock - and it was always big here in the Midlands. Never hear it nowadays - or since about 1980 to be honest

Yes it was massive in the North East around that time too.Especially the Aycliffe Allnighters.

One of my all time favourites.The floor full of people stomping away, just gave it a listen and still sounds great.Another one that should be played out again if they can start playing bleeding Night of the Wolf and Ton of Dynamite again ! they might as well play a good soul 45 as well.

Adam

Social source share

I have a 3 track White promo 45 (with Phonogram matrix) with Denise Lasalle - Do Me Right, Little Milton - Grits Aint Goceries & Diane Davidson - Sympathy

Does anyone now when this was issued and if the Denise Lasalle number was ever issued on any other 45's.

Any other information about this record would be appreciated. Have attached a jpg.

regards -Alamo

Hi

I can't find it to scan at the Moment, but I have

Ramsey Lewis - Them Changes plus a couple of other tracks on the B Side.

Same as yours, White Label & Sticker etc, Bought from Rotherham Market in the Early 70's

Social source share

Hi

Same as yours, White Label & Sticker etc, Bought from Rotherham Market in the Early 70's

Thanks roger. Would like to know the matrix number if you find it. I think there were 6 maxis issued. I have 2 but the matrix will confirm.

Appreciate your response

Al

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's DJ Promo 007, as promised - and in a sleeve, too!

I can confirm, too, that "The Walk" WAS the fourth track on this promo - which, BTW, DOES run at 45 whatever the sleeve says!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

ITS A GREAT TUNE,HER TALENT IS IMMENSE...

BAZ A.

Very true. 'Bout time "I Get What I Want (ABC) from 1976 got some action too. Great side.

I do prefer the Detroit Emeralds original of "Do Me Right" however...

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks roger. Would like to know the matrix number if you find it. I think there were 6 maxis issued. I have 2 but the matrix will confirm.

Appreciate your response

Al

Hi Al

Sorry it's taken a while, I couldn't find it, but better late than never.

As promised

DJ_003.jpg

Matrix Number "DJ 003 A # 1 V A420 1 1 2"

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!