Soul Encounters! Sheffield

Guest ShaneH

Guest ShaneH

Soul Encounters!

Friday 27th July '07

@ Qube, Regent St (off West St), Sheffield City Centre S1 4DA

7.30pm - 12.30am (at least :thumbsup: )

Free Entry!

After the success of our second event, where we doubled the attendance of the first, I am pleased to confirm the details of this months get together. A big thank you to all who have supported the event so far!

It also gives me great pleasure to announce Soul Encounters! new resident DJ's - Mark Etheridge & Joe Dutton. Each month will also see 2 guests to maintain a varied selection of good vintage soul music from the 60s & 70's. This months guests are Rich Buckley (Soulsville) of Leeds and local legend, Neil Page (Soul Source member - Soul Adequate)

Check out the venues myspace page:

https://www.myspace.com/qubesheffield

For more info please get in touch

Thanks

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
  • Replies 43
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest ShaneH

I am pleased to announce that Rich Buckley of Leeds will also be gracing the decks on Friday 27th July! :ohmy:

If anyone wants to do an early spot please get in touch.

Thanks

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Guest hurryup

we are also finalising plans for a bank holiday charity all-dayer - Sunday 26th August.

more info to follow...

Shane

That's a shame - this will clash with Empress Rooms at Mexbrough, though this is evening :(

Guest ShaneH

Shane, which date is it the 26th when Rich is on or the 27th when Joe & Mark are on? :(

hi ian. hope all is well. sorry for the mistake.

rich is on friday 27th july with residents - joe & mark.

i am still looking for 1 or 2 more dj's to play the first 2 hours or so (7.30-9.30pm) on friday 27th. so if anyone wants to join us please get in touch. be good to have someone who doesnt get the chance very often or someone just starting out.

the venue is amazing and everyone really enjoyed our last get together. we had a good mix of soulies/students/passers by mainly due to the city centre location.

cheers

shane

Guest ShaneH

Neil Page (Soul Adequate) has kindly offered to dj the early spot. thanks Neil :thumbsup:

If anyone one else wants a future spot, please get in touch

Shane

Guest ShaneH

just over a week to go to our soul night. plenty thru the door last month so I am hoping for the same again.

if anyone needs any info please get in touch.

shane

Have you been in touch with Mark so he can advertise the venue and all dayer on "Soul Shack" Shane ?

Hi Steve, already taken care of mate, Shane sent me all the details and will mention on this coming Sundays show for the Soul Night and will plug the alldayer leading up to the event www.solarradio.com pleasure to help the Sheffield gang if i can. Can also feature the venue in the 'Soul And Inspiration' spotlight which i've started to do recently, with a bit more detailed information on the event mixed in with some selections played so i might be able to do that after the next soul night if the DJ's post their playlists and i'm sure i can at least play the tunes i hold in my collection if any??? lol which gives a feel and flavour of the venue again this will be a pleasure to do.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Guest ShaneH

Hi Steve, already taken care of mate, Shane sent me all the details and will mention on this coming Sundays show for the Soul Night and will plug the alldayer leading up to the event www.solarradio.com pleasure to help the Sheffield gang if i can. Can also feature the venue in the 'Soul And Inspiration' spotlight which i've started to do recently, with a bit more detailed information on the event mixed in with some selections played so i might be able to do that after the next soul night if the DJ's post their playlists and i'm sure i can at least play the tunes i hold in my collection if any??? lol which gives a feel and flavour of the venue again this will be a pleasure to do.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

thanks mark. appreciate your support :yes:

shane

thanks mark. appreciate your support :yes:

shane

Pleasure Shane anything for the lads and all that...lol i will formulate the 'Soul And Inspiration' thing before the alldayer but will need the playlists if you can ask the DJ's or those who want to partisipate as it might not appeal to all of them?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

:)

Aargh. Sorry Mark, its on the all dayer thread isn't it.

:yes:

Guest lagerlout

No problem Steve i'm on the case mate, will do all i can to 'big up' the event for you all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

www.solarradio.com

big it up mark ...no need once word gets out mr & mrs lagers are attending, the posh & becks of the yorkshire soul scene it will be rammed.. :lol:

anyway how,s tricks not had a pint with yer in ages..

big it up mark ...no need once word gets out mr & mrs lagers are attending, the posh & becks of the yorkshire soul scene it will be rammed.. :D

anyway how,s tricks not had a pint with yer in ages..

Be a good time for Shadow to be allowed back into the real world Pete. A visit to Yorkshires best city would do him a world of good. (Assuming he's not at the knackers yard :thumbup: )

And shouldn't that be Posh and Tennants Extra ?

Edited by SteveM
Guest lagerlout

Be a good time for Shadow to be allowed back into the real world Pete. A visit to Yorkshires best city would do him a world of good. (Assuming he's not at the knackers yard :thumbsup: )

And shouldn't that be Posh and Tennants Extra ?

your right steve...think its time for old shadow to have a trot out to a soul night,think the last time he was in sheffield.. ponds i think before the all-dayer in sleaford, he was a very naughty pony...got p***ed up and ran amoke in the ibis hotel. think someone had given him a funny hay roll up...

pete

Guest ShaneH

well thats another weekend almost over sad.gif

if anyone is wondering what to do for next weekend, you are always welcome at our soul night in the city centre of sheffield next friday.

be good to see lagers, lagers missus, and the lager horse - shadow.

it all kicks off at half 7 and will be finishing at 12.30am at least :wicked::yes:

more info...shane.higgins74@tiscali.co.uk

cheers

shane

Martin, don't forget the glow stick and whistle I ordered from you :lol:

rolleyes.gif

Thought it was legal highs you wanted :lol:

Should be interesting,

Shane in his new titfer doing the flamenco, Lager's hoss, me lighting up the room & whistling.gif & you dancing on't ceiling :lol:

You better be there on Friday after all this Manno, can thrash out a deal for the Rideout :shades:

Guest Brett F

Looking forward to a good nights music, had a lot of talk on the phone today, looks like a full house again, Rich Buckley will play "Percy Stone" or i'll nail his head to whatever wooden object i find ph34r.gif . Think we are meeting around 6pm, i will have watched the 2nd Test on television at some down and out bar from approx 11am and hopefully will have won an astonishing amount of money if my betting streak actually happens.

Be Lucky..............

Looking forward to a good nights music, had a lot of talk on the phone today, looks like a full house again, Rich Buckley will play "Percy Stone" or i'll nail his head to whatever wooden object i find :thumbsup: . Think we are meeting around 6pm, i will have watched the 2nd Test on television at some down and out bar from approx 11am and hopefully will have won an astonishing amount of money if my betting streak actually happens.

Be Lucky..............

Anybody can play it now Brett. Loads about mate. Buckleys always in on a bargain tongue.gif

Guest lagerlout

Thought it was legal highs you wanted :lol:

Should be interesting,

Shane in his new titfer doing the flamenco, Lager's hoss, me lighting up the room & :) & you dancing on't ceiling :P

You better be there on Friday after all this Manno, can thrash out a deal for the Rideout :unsure:

if there,s any medication knocking about id like some indimethasin..for this b,stard gout. :ohmy:

Guest ShaneH

just bumping this up for the last time now.

If Lagers can make it anyone can. The guy has gout from drinking too much rum when he worked with his mate Francis Duck. Lagerlout (Capt Schmekel to his sailor friends) & Francis Duck worked the pedaloes in Roundhay Park,Leeds, and were doing really well until the kids saw Lagers swollen leg. After a lot of screaming and kids running for their lives, it was decided by Francis Duck that Lagers better come and spend some time helping the flood victims of Sheffield. So if you are struggling to find the venue, please be assured that their will be a guy in full sailing regalia with his leg on a stool sat out the front guiding people in.

Thanks and see ya Friday

Shane

Sorted out the record box and thankfully not meeting Brett quite so early doors this time :rolleyes: Capt. Mainwaring is officially on a charge of insubordination :rolleyes: See you Friday :unsure:

Rich

Who's turn is it to bring the tranquiliser gun in case BF requires subduing ? :lol:

Guest lagerlout

capt schmekel will be in the steel city with his steed shadow and the countess lager,

hopping to the sounds of soul and shouting pieces of eight and dablunes and stuff.

" ah ah al see thee when i gets there"

Guest ShaneH

Shane, can you give me details on how to get there?

We are very posh and have a satelite wathchumacallit - it says A-Z on the front! :thumbsup:

I need the address and simplified wacko.gif directions so I can understand them with one eye,

Also is there parking nearby for the cart?

Cheers

M :wicked:

Hi Mark

West St is the road that runs from the back of the city hall right up to the universities/hospitals etc. Qube is at almost at the top of West St where it becomes Glossop Rd. On the corner of West St & Regent St there is a Boots on one side and a big wedding dress shop on the other,

the post code is S1 4DA

plenty of car parks & street parking.

If you are struggling ask for these nearby pubs - Cavendish, S1 & the Swim Inn. These are all very nearby.

Shane

Anyone know of Brettmeiser's whereabouts, or is he missing in action again :yes: He texted me at 9.40am today informing me had 19 bottles of Grolsch at "optimum temperature" in the fridge, but his mobile is going straight to voicemail. Could there be a correlation :thumbsup: or has the numpty forgot to turn his mobile on :(

Rich

Anyone know of Brettmeiser's whereabouts, or is he missing in action again :no: He texted me at 9.40am today informing me had 19 bottles of Grolsch at "optimum temperature" in the fridge, but his mobile is going straight to voicemail. Could there be a correlation :thumbsup: or has the numpty forgot to turn his mobile on :(

Rich

Only 19 bottles?

Dont think they'll be many left for you Rich :wicked:

See you guys later :yes:

Guest lagerlout

Anyone know of Brettmeiser's whereabouts, or is he missing in action again :yes: He texted me at 9.40am today informing me had 19 bottles of Grolsch at "optimum temperature" in the fridge, but his mobile is going straight to voicemail. Could there be a correlation :thumbsup: or has the numpty forgot to turn his mobile on :(

Rich

tune into hallam f.m. for disturbances in sheffield town center.

Anyone know of Brettmeiser's whereabouts, or is he missing in action again :wicked: He texted me at 9.40am today informing me had 19 bottles of Grolsch at "optimum temperature" in the fridge, but his mobile is going straight to voicemail. Could there be a correlation :thumbsup: or has the numpty forgot to turn his mobile on :(

Rich

Sorted Rich.... he's just been on the phone.... been watching cricket in some pub since lunch :huh: ....

Meeting up about 5.30pm in The Devonshire Cat for some "beer tasting" first :yes: ....

Any "earlybirds" welcome....

> PUB DETAILS HERE <

> MAP HERE <

....Qube on Regent Street about 5 mins walk away....

See folk later :no: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler

And what a great night it was - Joe, Mark and Rich played a mixture of favourites and some tunes one doesn't hear very often (not heard the Groovettes since the '80s!) - nice one Shane, and thanks for inviting me to be part of it!

As for what I played:

8pm-9pm:

George Kirby What Can I Do Cadet demo

Prince George Wrong Crowd DPG

Hesitations Is This The Way To Treat A Girl GWP

Jean Wells What Have I Got To Lose Calla

Dena Barnes Who Am I Inferno demo

Bessie Banks Dont You Worry Baby The Best Is Yet To Come Quality

The Mob I Dig Everything About You Colossus

Al Hudson and the Soul Partners I'm About Loving You Atco

EJ Rice Will You Be Coming Back Platinum

Rosalind Madison Neighborhood Girl Liberty demo

Pam Colquitt I Done Got Over Losing You Jacklyn

Sam Dees Save The Love (At Any Cost) Atlantic

Randy Brown We Ought To Be Doin' It Chocolate City

The Tams Too Much Foolin Around UK Capitol

Debbie Taylor No Deposit, No Return Today

Othello Robertson So In Luv Era demo

Patrice Holloway Love and Desire UK Capitol demo

Jackie Wilson This Love Is Real Brunswick demo

Grover Mitchell What Hurts Vanguard demo

Tip Watkins People Gonna Talk H&L

Jeannie Reynolds Hit And Run Casablanca demo

Undisputed Truth You Got The Love I Need Gordy

Rick Sheppard Can We Share It Columbia demo

Natural Four I Thought You Were Mine ABC

10.45pm-11.15pm:

5 of a Kind The Other Side Sidra

Little Anthony and the Imperials Better Use Your Head Veep demo

Pookie Hudson This Gets to Me Jamie demo

Bits and Pieces Keep On Running Away Nasco demo

Bill Harris Am I Cold, Am I Hot RCA

Marvin Holmes and Justice You Better Keep Her Brown Door

Corey Blake How Can I Go On Without You Capitol

Jimmy Mack My World Is On Fire Palmer demo

Lada Edmund Jr The LaRue Decca demo

Mary Saxton Take My Heart Quality

Gerri Grainger I Go To Pieces Bell demo

And what a great night it was - Joe, Mark and Rich played a mixture of favourites and some tunes one doesn't hear very often (not heard the Groovettes since the '80s!) - nice one Shane, and thanks for inviting me to be part of it!

As for what I played:

8pm-9pm:

George Kirby What Can I Do Cadet demo

Prince George Wrong Crowd DPG

Hesitations Is This The Way To Treat A Girl GWP

Jean Wells What Have I Got To Lose Calla

Dena Barnes Who Am I Inferno demo

Bessie Banks Dont You Worry Baby The Best Is Yet To Come Quality

The Mob I Dig Everything About You Colossus

Al Hudson and the Soul Partners I'm About Loving You Atco

EJ Rice Will You Be Coming Back Platinum

Rosalind Madison Neighborhood Girl Liberty demo

Pam Colquitt I Done Got Over Losing You Jacklyn

Sam Dees Save The Love (At Any Cost) Atlantic

Randy Brown We Ought To Be Doin' It Chocolate City

The Tams Too Much Foolin Around UK Capitol

Debbie Taylor No Deposit, No Return Today

Othello Robertson So In Luv Era demo

Patrice Holloway Love and Desire UK Capitol demo

Jackie Wilson This Love Is Real Brunswick demo

Grover Mitchell What Hurts Vanguard demo

Tip Watkins People Gonna Talk H&L

Jeannie Reynolds Hit And Run Casablanca demo

Undisputed Truth You Got The Love I Need Gordy

Rick Sheppard Can We Share It Columbia demo

Natural Four I Thought You Were Mine ABC

10.45pm-11.15pm:

5 of a Kind The Other Side Sidra

Little Anthony and the Imperials Better Use Your Head Veep demo

Pookie Hudson This Gets to Me Jamie demo

Bits and Pieces Keep On Running Away Nasco demo

Bill Harris Am I Cold, Am I Hot RCA

Marvin Holmes and Justice You Better Keep Her Brown Door

Corey Blake How Can I Go On Without You Capitol

Jimmy Mack My World Is On Fire Palmer demo

Lada Edmund Jr The LaRue Decca demo

Mary Saxton Take My Heart Quality

Gerri Grainger I Go To Pieces Bell demo

Nice mixture there Neil.

Hesitations, Grover Mitchell, Al Hudson, Pam Colquitt, Corey Blake, Debbie Taylor etc.

Quality mate.

Looks like I missed a Goodie!

:P

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Guest lagerlout

great to meet up with the sheffield crowd again,, always a pleasure.

was forced to drink cider,well not forced to in a bad way.. :P

tunes top class from top notch d.js.and a guest apperance from the darlek.

did some business and secured some d.js for my oldies night in october....excellent.only venue ive been to were ive had to push a car with no petrol up a hill...... :lol: only in sheffield :D

see you all at the all-dayer in august.

Guest ShaneH

thanks to everyone who came & the dj's - neil, joe, mark & rich :P

good to see the lagers & his missus - next time i want to see a photo of that ooomigooli bird :lol:

roll on the all-dayer - sunday 26th august!

shane