Catacombs Reunion @ Soulvation Sat July 14

I can't believe it's a year since the debut event, but the 2nd annual Catacombs reunion takes place @ Soulvation at Lea Hall Club, Rugeley on Saturday July 14. The atmosphere last year was electric and we are looking to have another great night.

For me and many others The Catacombs in Temple Street, Wolverhampton was a very special part of our lives and it's nice to be able to pay tribute to the club.

This time around we are privileged to have added to the DJ rosta the legend that is Carl Dene.Carl was resident at The Cats in the late sixties when he was one of the main players in the "Rhythm And Soul" scene that preceded and helped shape the Northern Soul explosion. He had the first copy of "Baby Reconsider" - Leon Haywood (it was his copy that went up to the Twisted Wheel), had 2 out of the 3 copies that were in the UK at the time of "Darkest Days" - Jackie Lee (he didn't want his spare copy to go to a rival DJ!,drove up one day from Birmingham to Glasgow to secure a 45 of "The Entertainer" - Tony Clarke, was the main DJ at the infamous Sunday afternoon sessions at The Chateau Impney in Drotwich, etc etc. Unfortunately he is an Aston Villa fan but you can't have everything.

He still has all his records from back then so if you want to see a real pioneer in action this is your chance.

Also DJ'ing is Blue Max who was a real stalwart at The Cats who broke an unbelievable amount of new sounds at the club and has never been given the credit he deserves for that.

Filling in the gaps will be me and Bill Baker who as new kids on the block were allowed to play records at the Cats during its last year.

The night runs from 8pm till Iam, admission is £6 and as well having one of the best dancefloors in the West Midlands Lea Hall now has loads of new car car parking space.

The club in Temple Street was a one-off and records like "So Sweet So Satisfying" - Bobby Treetop and I Can't Get Enough" - Johnny Sayles will never sound the same anywhere else but on the 14th we will have a go at recreating the Cats magic.

Neil

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Phil Richards

I can't believe it's a year since the debut event, but the 2nd annual Catacombs reunion takes place @ Soulvation at Lea Hall Club, Rugeley on Saturday July 14. The atmosphere last year was electric and we are looking to have another great night.

For me and many others The Catacombs in Temple Street, Wolverhampton was a very special part of our lives and it's nice to be able to pay tribute to the club.

This time around we are privileged to have added to the DJ rosta the legend that is Carl Dene.Carl was resident at The Cats in the late sixties when he was one of the main players in the "Rhythm And Soul" scene that preceded and helped shape the Northern Soul explosion. He had the first copy of "Baby Reconsider" - Leon Haywood (it was his copy that went up to the Twisted Wheel), had 2 out of the 3 copies that were in the UK at the time of "Darkest Days" - Jackie Lee (he didn't want his spare copy to go to a rival DJ!,drove up one day from Birmingham to Glasgow to secure a 45 of "The Entertainer" - Tony Clarke, was the main DJ at the infamous Sunday afternoon sessions at The Chateau Impney in Drotwich, etc etc. Unfortunately he is an Aston Villa fan but you can't have everything.

He still has all his records from back then so if you want to see a real pioneer in action this is your chance.

Also DJ'ing is Blue Max who was a real stalwart at The Cats who broke an unbelievable amount of new sounds at the club and has never been given the credit he deserves for that.

Filling in the gaps will be me and Bill Baker who as new kids on the block were allowed to play records at the Cats during its last year.

The night runs from 8pm till Iam, admission is £6 and as well having one of the best dancefloors in the West Midlands Lea Hall now has loads of new car car parking space.

The club in Temple Street was a one-off and records like "So Sweet So Satisfying" - Bobby Treetop and I Can't Get Enough" - Johnny Sayles will never sound the same anywhere else but on the 14th we will have a go at recreating the Cats magic.

Neil

Max never had the credit he deserves

Neil

Hallo Angie + Neil

Really looking forward to Saturday. I was only at the Cats a few times but Alan was a regular.The venue can't be re-created but at least the sounds can.

love Pat+Alan Carter :thumbsup:

Hallo Angie + Neil

Really looking forward to Saturday. I was only at the Cats a few times but Alan was a regular.The venue can't be re-created but at least the sounds can.

love Pat+Alan Carter :ohmy:

HI GUYS, Would'nt miss it for the world, last year was tremendous, as always, place is the tops, not just on special night like this, but every time its on, been around a while, a been to most, but nothin compares to soulvation, top floor, top music, and superb atmosphere, , place buzzes, ,, u never know i might get to hear , the elusive bobby taylor track there one night, jokin apart, the place is electric, anyone that misses this, misses out. THEIR LOSS, KTF :lol:

HI GUYS, Would'nt miss it for the world, last year was tremendous, as always, place is the tops, not just on special night like this, but every time its on, been around a while, a been to most, but nothin compares to soulvation, top floor, top music, and superb atmosphere, , place buzzes, ,, u never know i might get to hear , the elusive bobby taylor track there one night, jokin apart, the place is electric, anyone that misses this, misses out. THEIR LOSS, KTF :unsure:

Couldn't agree more about the atmosphere. Last year we found people there who don't normally go to Lea Hall. There was an old friend who we hadn't seen for years. Getting the dancing shoes ready so hope there's not too much talc as that floor can be lethal.

Pat :(

Hi Angie + Neil

Angie do you still have the photo of Alan+ I that was taken with Richie Pitts? You did ask me to ring but afraid I keep forgetting. If you do still have it then perhaps we could pick it up tomorrow night.

See you then

love Pat+Alan Carter :thumbsup:

hi all,

must say it was really nice to see some old faces from the past,

great to meet up with "farmer carl dene" again, along with old

mates bill baker & of course neil rushton.

have read thru the earlier coments and have to agree that the

venue was a one-off and could not be recreated but yes the

sounds do go a long way to bringing the memories flooding back

i do hope it was a little bit more than just an enjoyable night

especially for the old "cats" folk that were there.

it saddens me greatly that "pep" who owns the old trademark

would not let neil use it as we are really only looking after his

and the dear old venues future interests, still thats another

matter

max.......

hi all,

must say it was really nice to see some old faces from the past,

great to meet up with "farmer carl dene" again, along with old

mates bill baker & of course neil rushton.

have read thru the earlier coments and have to agree that the

venue was a one-off and could not be recreated but yes the

sounds do go a long way to bringing the memories flooding back

i do hope it was a little bit more than just an enjoyable night

especially for the old "cats" folk that were there.

it saddens me greatly that "pep" who owns the old trademark

would not let neil use it as we are really only looking after his

and the dear old venues future interests, still thats another

matter

max.......

Hiya Max

Couldn't agree with you more about the name business. At least you are keeping the name alive. Alan said he hoped it brought back as many memories for others as it did for him. See you friday with my ever growing playlist.

Pat x

Edited by Pat