The Trips - There's That Mountain

Why does my so called 'boot' (J.Manship) of The Trips - There's That Mountain' on Soultown have a stamp in the run out (both sides). It's a complicated looking stamp which I'd have though very hard to copy...it's a circle with a symbol/letters similar to those on original Atlantic records.

I know there was a thread about this months back but I can't find it...anyone shed some light on this release??

I know the original is on yellow Soundville (which was also booted).

Was Soultown a real label?, seem to remember I had a McKinley Mitchell (think that was his name?) on this label.

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Why does my so called 'boot' (J.Manship) of The Trips - There's That Mountain' on Soultown have a stamp in the run out (both sides). It's a complicated looking stamp which I'd have though very hard to copy...it's a circle with a symbol/letters similar to those on original Atlantic records.

I know there was a thread about this months back but I can't find it...anyone shed some light on this release??

I know the original is on yellow Soundville (which was also booted).

Was Soultown a real label?, seem to remember I had a McKinley Mitchell (think that was his name?) on this label.

The matrix stamp is a west coast one same as on "Tie,Breakthrough,Renfro,Mut & Jeff,Omen,ect"i`ve mentioned this before on here but with no reply,also the flip side "Love can`t be modernized" on the "Soultown" 45 it`s a slightly different take to the "Soundville" copy,if the "Soultown" 45 was a boot of the "Soundville" 45 then surely they should sound the same but as they are different i have my doubts,if you have the two 45s to hand if you play them half way through just before the sax break one say`s "go ahead Joe and blow" the other one goes straight into the sax break without the rap,one to think about :unsure:

Dave f.............

Social source share

Soultown was a real label, as we know. But bootlegs were released on Soultown which came out on other labels (eg, "A Case Of Love" by The Sequins and "I Worship You Baby" by The Glories). There must be more, but can't think of them right now............

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Soultown was a real label, as we know. But bootlegs were released on Soultown which came out on other labels (eg, "A Case Of Love" by The Sequins and "I Worship You Baby" by The Glories). There must be more, but can't think of them right now............

Johnny Moore 'walk like a man', Sweet Things 'I'm in a world of trouble' are another two...I think The gems 'I'll be there' was on that label too (1st press)

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

These were very early 70s re- presses/ issues.

Made only a few years after late 60s originals, same pressing plants etc, bound to look real-ish..

Soultown boots are light shiny yellow, originals are richer matt yellow ?

Social source share

Guest martyn

These were very early 70s re- presses/ issues.

Made only a few years after late 60s originals, same pressing plants etc, bound to look real-ish..

Soultown boots are light shiny yellow, originals are richer matt yellow ?

But The Trips boot is red & black isnt it ?

Social source share

No Terry, the TRIPS was pressed on red & black Soultown.

The TRIPPS came out on Victoria.

Johnny Moore - Walk LIKE A MAN - Light yellow/black Soultown PRESSING not BOOT(Which is the definition of a look a like) as obviously the real thing was on DATE.

The Sweets - SATISFY ME BABY (voc/inst) - Light yellow/black BOOT(because of course the Sweets really DID come out on Soultown on a darker yellow/black label which had a matrix stamp like a real Joe Hicks).

Incidentally its easy to tell the boot of this anyway as it has the INSTRUMENTAL on the B side and not as a real one which has the highly desirable vocal B side - SOMETHING ABOUT MY BABY.

The Trips - THERE'S THAT MOUNTAIN - red/black Soultown PRESSING as the real one is on SOUNDVILLE but I dont know wether the real Soundville copy has a matrix, but the lookalike BOOT definately does'nt.

The Sweet things - IM IN A WORLD OF TROUBLE - Light yellow/black Soultown PRESSING as the real one is on DATE.

The Glories - I WORSHIP YOU BABY - think I remember seeing this on red/black & Light yellow/black Soultown PRESSINGS as real one is on DATE.

cant think of any more can anyone else?

The fantastic RAY AGEE is on PINK & BLACK Soultown (with matrix stamp)

Sweets as mentioned earlier.

The YOUNGHEARTS - A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS - darker yellow/black Soultown, (with matrix stamp) but I dont know which came first Soultown or Canterbury?

There are obviously a few other real records on Soultown but nothing of any note to my Knowledge.

Hope this helps. :yes:

Social source share

The YOUNGHEARTS - A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS - darker yellow/black Soultown, (with matrix stamp) but I dont know which came first Soultown or Canterbury?

This was "The New Younghearts" and was a genuine later issue with the flip being "Younghearts get lonely too"

Social source share

Johnny Moore - Walk LIKE A MAN - Light yellow/black Soultown PRESSING not BOOT(Which is the definition of a look a like) as obviously the real thing was on DATE.

The Sweets - SATISFY ME BABY (voc/inst) - Light yellow/black BOOT(because of course the Sweets really DID come out on Soultown on a darker yellow/black label which had a matrix stamp like a real Joe Hicks).

Incidentally its easy to tell the boot of this anyway as it has the INSTRUMENTAL on the B side and not as a real one which has the highly desirable vocal B side - SOMETHING ABOUT MY BABY.

The Trips - THERE'S THAT MOUNTAIN - red/black Soultown PRESSING as the real one is on SOUNDVILLE but I dont know wether the real Soundville copy has a matrix, but the lookalike BOOT definately does'nt.

The Sweet things - IM IN A WORLD OF TROUBLE - Light yellow/black Soultown PRESSING as the real one is on DATE.

The Glories - I WORSHIP YOU BABY - think I remember seeing this on red/black & Light yellow/black Soultown PRESSINGS as real one is on DATE.

There are obviously a few other real records on Soultown but nothing of any note to my Knowledge.

Hope this helps. :yes:

All good info and that,but at the end of the day why are the flip side`s on "Soundville" and "Soultown" different takes????,if it was a boot of the Soundville copy it should be the same song same words but it`s not,but no one can answer that one?,

and there`s the west coast stamp?,i`ve not got any of the yellow Soultown boots but have any of these got the same matrix stamp as the Trips on red Soultown??

Dave f............

Social source share

Had the Sweets, Glories, and the Sweet things on Soultown in the early 70's Dave but they deffinately didnt have a matrix stamp on them.

I dont know the originator/manufacturer of these boots/pressings, If we knew maybe they could shed light on the different b side recordings. The one with 'additional' vocals on Soultown may have come

from a master tape? Because as is with the Sweets the INSTRUMENTAL version of SATISFY ME BABY

was put on the Soultown BOOT where did that track come from? Again was that from a master tape?

Love cant be modernized on the SOUNVILLE copy was obviously taken from the Soundville original.

Social source share

The "real" Soultown label has :

1 Gene Middleton - "You can get it now/A man will do no wrong"

10 New Young Hearts - "A little togetherness/Young hearts get lonely too"

14 Lionel Davis - "Electric man/Ain't that cold"

103 Cool Sounds - "Rag doll (I'll take you back/Where do we go from here"

104 Ray Agee - "I'm losing again/Hard loving woman"

2500 Sweet Stuff - "Freaky to you Pt.1/Freaky to you Pt.2"

3000 Young Hearts - "Hey love/I've got dancing fever"

Social source share

11 McKinley Travis - "Get Yourself Together / Why Do You Have To Go"

105 Sweets - "Satisfy me baby / Something about my baby"

109 McKinley Travis - "Baby Is There Something On Your Mind / You've Got It And I Want It"

Additions above

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

think you've forgot to include the sweets - "satisfy me baby" in this listing

Social source share

No, it is an out and bootleg. If it were a copy of the date label it would actually be a 'pirate' copy, in other words, a lookalike.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's a 'real' Soultown, from a (very) brief relaunch of the label in 1981. Still run by Bobby Sanders (whose label I believe it always was), but with a very impressive 'Exec. Producer', as you'll see:

Shame it's not all that good - its credentials are as impeccable as the earlier real ones!

Social source share

Here's a 'real' Soultown, from a (very) brief relaunch of the label in 1981. Still run by Bobby Sanders (whose label I believe it always was), but with a very impressive 'Exec. Producer', as you'll see:

Shame it's not all that good - its credentials are as impeccable as the earlier real ones!

Same format as sweet stuff,got a few versions on few differant labels.

Social source share

All good info and that,but at the end of the day why are the flip side`s on "Soundville" and "Soultown" different takes????,if it was a boot of the Soundville copy it should be the same song same words but it`s not,but no one can answer that one?,

and there`s the west coast stamp?,i`ve not got any of the yellow Soultown boots but have any of these got the same matrix stamp as the Trips on red Soultown??

Dave f............

I'm with Dave here. I think the Soultown release is a legitimate West Coast issue as the other Soultown 'boots' Sweet Things etc do not have the West Coast matrix stamps. This is no different than the Younghearts - New Younghearts both being legitimate releases IMO.

The different versions of LCBM is not real 'evidence' as there are many examples of boots not being the same as original tracks but the West Coast stamp is a much stronger indicator. If all the Soultown boots came from the same source surly they would all have the stamp yet this appears to be the only one that does in common with other legitimate west coast releases.

Ohh and yes of course LCBM is the better side today IMHO.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

have you played the bside to this record you cant modernized love think its better than the aside

awesome .. just parted with mine after 30 years, also let the sweets go last year . pukka copies of both these records just look like the real thing, chunky vinyl, super clear print on labels, they just look right,if you compare them to boots from the seventies!! can i have them back please mate!!! you know who you are!!! much to cheap werent they!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

I'm with Dave here. I think the Soultown release is a legitimate West Coast issue as the other Soultown 'boots' Sweet Things etc do not have the West Coast matrix stamps. This is no different than the Younghearts - New Younghearts both being legitimate releases IMO.

The different versions of LCBM is not real 'evidence' as there are many examples of boots not being the same as original tracks but the West Coast stamp is a much stronger indicator. If all the Soultown boots came from the same source surly they would all have the stamp yet this appears to be the only one that does in common with other legitimate west coast releases.

Ohh and yes of course LCBM is the better side today IMHO.

I'm going with this too :wicked:

Everything about the Trips' Soultown issue is spot on.

Social source share

Little Helen - "more and more"..............But youve allready allocated a title("cool sounds",why?

Nice record,very real......post-1986-1184098003.jpg

post-1986-1184098003.jpg

Edited by ken
Social source share

I think I can shed a little light on this very confusing matter.

All the Soultown's in the 1974/5 (Northern Classic tunes) came into this country via "S"

in L.A. With "S's" work nothing is ever clear cut and always totally unpredictable.

If, as Dave F. states the Trips on Soundville is a different take to the one on Soultown. Then Bobby Sanders probably did a ligit reissue using a different take, but I doubt it, as The Trips was a Sir Graham (Jimmy Conwell etc) production, and there is no obvious connection between Sir Graham team and the Bobby Sanders Soultown label

But remembering The Sweets was issued for "S" on Soultown with the INSTRUMENTAL on the flip, which could mean "S" was using the Soultown catalogue legitimately with Bobby's approval??

BUT "S" also pressed Cindy Scott - I love you baby- which was certainly has nothing to do with the Soultown or Sir Graham, as I believe John Madara & David White own that.

I've been running around trying to play the Soundville copy against the Soultown copy but i'm outa stock of the Soultown press.

Of course there are many legit issues on the label "New Younghearts" is one of them, but also many "BOOTS". "S" did delight in doing the cheeky thing.

When the Trips #716 arrives in the UK at the same time as The Sequins #717 & Cindy Scott #718 we obviously assume The Trips is a boot..

Certainly The Sweet Things, Johnny Moore, Cindy Scott are boots..The Gems never got issued on Soultown in any format.

So what we are discussing, is a legit Los Angeles label being used as a bootleg vehicle by "S". That doesn't surprise me, if you ever met "S", nothing would ever surprise you.. he was the master of all things naughty.

Dave could well be right, The Trips on Soultown maybe a diff. mix. I'll try and track a copy down to compare, BUT there I can find no connection between Bobby Sander's SOULTOWN and The SIR GRAHAM set up.

Dave are you comparing the Soundville ORIGINAL with the Soultown 716. Or the Soundville bootleg with the Soultown 716 ?

Also remember "S" was an accomplished "producer" in his own right.

It is a well known fact that Leonard Jewell Smith and his co workers (Sir Graham) where more than displeased with "S's" antics pressing soul 45s for England.

One other small point, many BOOTLEGS carry matrix stamps, because they were pressed by legit pressing plants, often under the impression they were pressing them for the legitimate owner. Fine example is MR on all the MONARCH pressings. Even the odd "fake" Bell Sound stamp can be found.

My belief, considering the facts, is The Trips is a bootleg.. but I'm very willing to be proved wrong.

Note all theSoultown releases from 101 for 111 are legit. 138 to 140 are boots. The 716 to 718 seem to be boots also.

The 70s Soultown releases using #s totally different numbering 3000 series etc are legit.

There ar also various Soultown labels from around the USA. Even another New York based reissue label. Above we are discussing the Bobby Sanders L.A. based label.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest brianhorton

Surprised nobody has mentioned "Soultown's" biggest selling record No 12 - Burt ward "I've got love for my baby" b/w "Robins theme" topside is same song & backing track as the Younghearts, the reverse is the backing track to the Delicates on Pulsar also Little Anthony on Pure Gold, both great x over records, Burt Ward was the guy who played Robin in the 60s Batman series.

Social source share

Hi

Here are three of the known Soultown BOOTS

---------------* BOOT *----------------------------------* BOOT *----------------------------------- * BOOT *

Soultown_S-139_B.gifSoultown_S-140_B.gifSoultown_S-718_B.gif

---------------* BOOT *----------------------------------* BOOT *----------------------------------- * BOOT *

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

sorry iknew it came out on yellow soundville

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!