James Coit

Guest Lobster Madras

Guest Russ Smith

Black Power....

When did you last hear this played out ?

Also, is there any truth in the rumour that James T is playing it covered up?

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest martinsbox

Black Power....

Phoof . . . years ago. A record from my teens.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Remember this from youth club days.

I know the L looks like an I on the label Russ but isn't it James Colt not Coit?

Lots of these youth club sounds could do with a revisit, Mickey Lee Lane - Hey-Sah-Lo-Ney anyone?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Remember this from youth club days.

I know the L looks like an I on the label Russ but isn't it James Colt not Coit?

Lots of these youth club sounds could do with a revisit, Mickey Lee Lane - Hey-Sah-Lo-Ney anyone?

=====

ive always liked black power

got a lovely white demo in my Wigan box....

did a topic on this once on SS..

still the one record that gets the 'stompers' going!!

Social source share

It went absolute massive in its short life, one of those played 5 or 6 times a night along with Cal Tjader - Soul Sauce, oh and Dust my broom, and shake a tail feather, and bread and water and..........................oh I will be here all day if this carries on.

James Coi(l)t, deffoe a soul pack toon, that got rejected first time round, then again so did 'of hopes and dreams' etc.

Glad they got picked up eventually, hardly very soulfull but gets the toes tapping.

Imagine a blue eyed soul artist singing 'White Power', they would be in jail by now.

Ed

Social source share

Guest rachel

Black Power....

New Century Nighter, Manchester, Boxing Day 2005.

Social source share

So, is James playing this?

I bloody hope not. It was rubbish then and it's still bloody rubbish now. Even if it is a very catchy tune. I'd put it into the same category as Lover 'Delights' - catchy. yeah but soul, never. Only difference between the two.......... about £700

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Black Power....

I played it in a Funk set to a load of younger studenty types at a club in York a year or so ago, they loved it!

I first heard it at our local (predominantly) Mod youth club at the start of the eighties...you can get it for about £2.00, the original or the re-issue!

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

not my cup of tea........

Not really mine either, although still have a bit of a soft spot for it - probaly never play it again, yours for a tenner if anybody wants it! :wicked:

Ste.

Social source share

remember the 1st time it got spun at wigan - think it was RS - absolutely superb, everyone was raving about it

I think it was Keith Minshull who played it first - as Warren said, at exactly the same time as Tim Tam and James Coit. I think he originally played Tim Tam as a joke as he originally dedicated it to Lewi (this one specially for Lewi - just asked me for it) who was a regular (from Runcorn or Warrington I think) and no doubt hated it

Social source share

I think it was Keith Minshull who played it first - as Warren said, at exactly the same time as Tim Tam and James Coit. I think he originally played Tim Tam as a joke as he originally dedicated it to Lewi (this one specially for Lewi - just asked me for it) who was a regular (from Runcorn or Warrington I think) and no doubt hated it

Pete

Out of interest do you like this? I think it's awful and deserves a good mashing up with a hammer - "Pete Carstairs Stylee"

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I always thought it was Coit with an i.

I think you're right and i was wrong. Just typed both into google and Coit vs. Colt is about 5 to 1. No definitive answer though.

Just spent the last 29 years thinking it was Colt whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Trevski

"M'gowa black powa!" laugh.gif Just listened to this again, after 20 odd yrs... Still as s**t as I remembered!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!