100 Club Last Night

Wow that turned out to be a rip snorter.

I was full of cold and pies, only a moderate turn out and slow to get going but what a terrifc second half. Thanks to Kenny for records and enjoying his pants off on the floor, Mick for working the crowd up into a frenzy at 7.30, Butch for his personal soul soundtrack and Arthur for laughing at the joke about the glare off his bonce.

Val won larey hooligan of the night award, Matt got the "Come while you're Dancing" trophy (to Hytones' Runaway Girl), Beeby baby was top spiv who doesn't realise you're meant to flog dodgy goods, not give them away and Brummie Mick, the Phantom Janitor returns and is mopping the floor within 5 minutes.

For Pilar from Spain the first records I spun (span?) were

Luther Ingram Oh Baby Don't You Weep acetate

Charmaines I Idolize You Kent anniv single

Marva Josie You Lied Time

Marv Johnson Come On And Stop UA

Cookie Jackson Do You Still Love Me Progress

I did manage some soul too

Frank Beverly Because Of My Heart

Hytones Good News

Spellbinders Help Me

Ray Pollard Sad Thing

Two People Stop

Devonnes Doin The Gettin' Up

Martha Starr Sweet Temptation

Constellations I Don't Know About You

Jimmy Raye Just Can't Take No More

and some more stuff I can't remember.

I want that Mary Wheeler off Mick and Kenny's male Sweet Temptation.

Thanks to all who made it, see yu on Friday at the NCSC in London bash.

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

We really fancied coming down for this one (an especially good line up IMO) bit pee'd off we couldn't make it now perhaps i should have tried to persuade me mum to come down to see if she hit it off with Roger :wicked:

Nice to see you posting up a playlist Ady not often we get that from the "name" DJ's well done that man. You would even have got me up dancing to a few of those :thumbsup:

Love that Luther Blisset track now that's a tuuuuuuuuune :thumbsup:

Ady, was that the Mary wheeler on Atom track 'I feel in my heart' Mick's playing? If it is it's an awesome slab of soul and I assume it's Ward Burtons version you refer to of 'Sweet Temptation'? How much is that going for these days? While I think of it drop me a line Ady because we need to firm up your DJing at the Plinston - if Taff's not nabbed you about it last night first!

Constellations I Don't Know About You

I love that track... alas, I bet you played that in the wee hours, where as most people know, I would have been fast asleep.

How come everyone else manages to stay awake all night and I fall asleep around 3-5am? shrug9.gifno2drugs.gif

What I was trying to say was that I liked the Constellations track, but I wasn't there to hear it anyway. I also tried to say that I don't do many all nighters because I fall asleep :thumbup:

Tell Mr Parrish thank you. Wasn't that nice of him blush.gif

Last night was amazing. The best music I've ever had the privilege of hearing at a do!

Super smashing great.

link

I have to agree, the 100 was good, as was Valatone, I really enjoyed what I caught of your set Andy :thumbup:

I'm reckoning in retrospect that Saturday night was probably the best 100 Club I've ever been to. Not least because everyone played the requests I asked for (which amounted to about 10!), but because it summed up for me exactly what the 100 Club was about. Incomparable quality.

The Hytones certainly best new tune of the night. But soooooo many more that came within an inch. From Martha Jean Love to The Inspirations. The Neurons to Deon Jackson.

If only we could have that DJ line up all the time I'd quit work and live in the cloakroom.

The last two hours were sublime. Eddie Hughes, Cal Green, SeaShells all massive faves of mine and highlighted why there's very few places you can get away with those kind of quality, really soulful records back to back.

Kudos for Arthur's bravery playing such a devastatingly beautiful handful of midtempo tracks so late in the night. It left me in my element. Kenny's killer rarities left me breathless and the residents sprinkled their usual magical shimmer to a near perfect night.

Good to see y'all.

I'm reckoning in retrospect that Saturday night was probably the best 100 Club I've ever been to. Not least because everyone played the requests I asked for (which amounted to about 10!), but because it summed up for me exactly what the 100 Club was about. Incomparable quality.

The Hytones certainly best new tune of the night. But soooooo many more that came within an inch. From Martha Jean Love to The Inspirations. The Neurons to Deon Jackson.

If only we could have that DJ line up all the time I'd quit work and live in the cloakroom.

The last two hours were sublime. Eddie Hughes, Cal Green, SeaShells all massive faves of mine and highlighted why there's very few places you can get away with those kind of quality, really soulful records back to back.

Kudos for Arthur's bravery playing such a devastatingly beautiful handful of midtempo tracks so late in the night. It left me in my element. Kenny's killer rarities left me breathless and the residents sprinkled their usual magical shimmer to a near perfect night.

Good to see y'all.

Guest Richard Bergman

Good to see y'all.

link

God I love the place ! - Not only does it seem that I've missed one of the best 100's for a while but I also missed out on taking a trip with my friend Boulton and his beautiful 73 Opal Kadett - life is cruel to me sometimes !!!

Guest Richard Bergman

We really fancied coming down for this one (an especially good line up IMO) bit pee'd off we couldn't make it now perhaps i should have tried to persuade me mum to come down to see if she hit it off with Roger :P

Nice to see you posting up a playlist Ady not often we get that from the "name" DJ's well done that man. You would even have got me up dancing to a few of those :thumbup:

Love that Luther Blisset track now that's a tuuuuuuuuune thumbsup.gif

link

Is it really by Luther Blissett ? !!!! - Not only a top scorer over here and in Italy but making fantastic soul records - Quality !!

Matt Bolton, the seashells 45 you mentioned....is it the female mid-tempo one - quiet place? or something?

Can you confirm please mate.

Trevski, if i am right on this one it is the one you play. great record!

Shane

Is it really by Luther Blissett ? !!!! -  Not only a top scorer over here and in Italy but making fantastic soul records - Quality !!

link

I keep telling John that his sense of humour doesn't always translate into the one dimensional media of the internet, but does he listen ??? :thumbup:thumbsup.gif

Guest Johnny One Trout

You can whip me beat me and call me Brenda but it won't change me dwarlink thumbsup.gif Joe I was refering to the Luther Ingram version of Baby don't you weep at the poor quality of my humour in a static information technology context...........

..........................................................I'll get me goat :thumbup:

Guest Richard Bergman

You can whip me beat me and call me Brenda but it won't change me dwarlink thumbsup.gif Joe I was refering to the Luther Ingram version of Baby don't you weep at the poor quality of my humour in  a static information technology context...........

..........................................................I'll get me goat :thumbup:

link

I knew you were my friend , see not as one dimensional as it appears to be this internet lark - great track - Love both Luthers and Wilson pickett but Luther's is more powerful for me -

And anyway Watford have a musical tradition with Sir Elton in charge there !!

Guest Johnny One Trout

I knew you were my friend , see not as one dimensional as it appears to be this internet lark - great track - Love both Luthers and Wilson pickett but Luther's is more powerful for me  -

And anyway Watford have a musical tradition with Sir Elton in charge there !!

link

Not a bad idea for a line up for the next Cleggy Luther Blisset for the main room and Elton for the Modern room :thumbup: or maybe not thumbsup.gif:P

Guest Richard Bergman

Not a bad idea for a line up for the next Cleggy Luther Blisset for the main room and Elton for the Modern room  :thumbup: or maybe not  thumbsup.gif   :P

link

Can you imagine the "tantrums and tiaras " yo'd get from Sir Elton about staying in Cleethhropes - Ady would have his work cut out , the only possible way of pacifying him would be to take him to the 9 HOLE golf course ( even this would be under a false promise babooom)

Edited by Richard Bergman

Can you imagine the "tantrums and tiaras " yo'd get from Sir Elton about staying in Cleethhropes - Ady would have his work cut out , the only possible way of pacifying  him would be to take him to the 9 HOLE golf course ( even this would be under a false promise babooom)

link

Maybe you could lure him with the promise of sharing a chalet with you... :thumbup: He'd have the personal jet ready before you could say Hakuna matata.......

One of the best nights ever. Fitting tribute at apx. 7.55am to the man who had the best voice I've ever heard in my life, followed by him singing the best song I've ever heard in my life. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. style bass intro, wonderfull soaring strings, that tiny bit in the middle trumpet solo which lasts for about 2 seconds/Mexican?/Herp Albert and the Tijuana Brass? and the voice, so smooth yet powerful, emotional & very unique.

Bliss

Mark

link

You should get out more Matt laugh.gif I can think of at least three other nighters that give you the choice you mentioned above laugh.gif Along with the 100 Club there is Lifeliine, Soultown and the Wilton. Now if we could only have the four mentioned above during every month :wicked:

Edited by chalky

HAVEN'T DONE A NIGHTER THERE FOR A WHILE BUT WILL CERTAINLY BE BACK FOR MORE THE MUSIC WAS FANTASTIC EVERYONE PLAYED THEIR SOCKS OFF BRILLIANT NIGHT. THANKS FOR THE LIFT FROM VALATONE MATT THAT 1973 KADETT SURE TOOK ME BACK TO MY YOUTH.