Record Of The Weekend

Chalky

• Replies 64
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Had one at home with the family, and the one getting the plays is Mary Wells and "He's A Lover" think i prefer this to the Tutti Hill version.......it's that small "fantastic" horn section that blasts in, albeit briefly, that does it for me...great stuff.

Social source share

Difosco, Sunshine Love: Earthquake,

Ray Pollard, Wanderlust: Decca,

The Dramatics, Your love was strange: Volt,

Bought all 3 over the weekend, they all sound fresh, picked 'em up cheap (IMO) so am feeling quite chuffed.

Mark

link

Hi Mark the Dramatics is a fantastic track right up there with that incredible Tony Hestor penned number "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get"......wow.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Bought all 3 over the weekend, they all sound fresh, picked 'em up cheap (IMO) so am feeling quite chuffed.

Mark

link

That Dramatics track is excellent :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ron Henderson & Choice of Colour - Your Love, what a superb 70's tune, been playing it all weekend on the Carolina Soul Survey Compilation CD by Grapevine, also enjoyed listening to Al Greens Greatest Hits which just happens to be 30 years old, unbelievable, it still sounds so good.

Social source share

Promatics - Think I'm Gonna Let You Go - Brown Door  :good:  :thumbsup:

Whats your record of the weekend?

link

Sounds interesting Chalky, is it the same label as Marvin Holmes/Dorothy Morrison?

Strange choice of tunes, having read some of the debates here recently have made me disillusioned re Northern a bit again so to cheer me up have been playing happy disco music!

D Train - Your The One For Me (always liked it as disco hit but when heard it played on full club system in middle of house set it blew me away)

D Train Walk On By - Just a great treatment of a great song, disco heaven.

and finally a record I always turn to when needing cheered up

The Dells Walk On By - Deep soul treatment of a great song (can you tell I like this song) it just lifts my spirits everytime.

These have been on repeat on my turntable!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Sounds interesting Chalky, is it the same label as Marvin Holmes/Dorothy Morrison?

Strange choice of tunes, having read some of the debates here recently have made me disillusioned re Northern a bit again so to cheer me up have been playing happy disco music! 

D Train - Your The One For Me (always liked it as disco hit  but when heard it played on full club system in middle of house set it blew me away)

D Train Walk On By - Just a great treatment of a great song, disco heaven.

and finally a record I always turn to when needing cheered up

The Dells Walk On By - Deep soul treatment of a great song (can you tell I like this song) it just lifts my spirits everytime.

These have been on repeat on my turntable!!

Cheers

Jock

link

Without looking Jock, I would have thought so sad.gif Great crossover hypo.gif If you get down for Lifeline and you manage to get down here before I'll play it you hypo.gif

I spent all night being a disco bunny :thumbsup::wicked::thumbsup: Hear all the 60's stuff week in week out so made a change to hear something different for once. :P

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Not been out this weekend (had my mother visiting :thumbsup: ) but i have been making up some CD's and the reord of the weekend for me just has to be Brenda Holloway - My baby moves me ....................................superb mid tempo

Trouty

Social source share

Tempests "Someday" (SMASH)

Heard Tony Hatfield play this at York last night - WOW! :thumbup: ....can't believe I've never heard it before, but I have led a sheltered life blush.gif

The one I'm playing is a soundbyte, as I haven't got one yet, but it's on my wants list so if bennybobby's got one, please let me know - l_l_m_w@hotmail.co.uk.

Billy :P

Social source share

err...yes  blush.gif   pretty good, prefer What Is Soul though  :thumbup:

link

Like 'em both & think they're very similar, the difference is mainly in the tempo. At the moment I'm leaning to I lost my baby which is the slower side, but that could change in time. Played both sides to a few people & the under 40's seem to prefer What is soul with the over 40's favouring I lost my baby. Whatever, 2 cracking tunes both well worthy of a spin.

Social source share

Like 'em both & think they're very similar, the difference is mainly in the tempo. At the moment I'm leaning to I lost my baby which is the slower side, but that could change in time. Played both sides to a few people & the under 40's seem to prefer What is soul with the over 40's favouring I lost my baby. Whatever, 2 cracking tunes both well worthy of a spin.

link

Well the over 40's probably can't keep up with the more uptempo side :P:P

I'm still under 40 so the uptempo side does it for me :thumbup:blush.gif

Like you said two cracking sides :P Cheap record too well worth picking up :yes:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Heard Tony Hatfield play this at York last night - WOW! :P ....can't believe I've never heard it before, but I have led a sheltered life :P

The one I'm playing is a soundbyte, as I haven't got one yet, but it's on my wants list so if bennybobby's got one, please let me know - l_l_m_w@hotmail.co.uk.

link

LP only Billy :yes::thumbup: and before you ask No blush.gif

Social source share

Hollywood Spectrum-"I Gotta Get Back To Lovin' You" on Cotillion. Been my top record at least 3 weeks now! Definitly deserves more attention.

Just out of curiosity when and where did this get spins, if any at all.

-Mike

Edited by recordwanted
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Heard Tony Hatfield play this at York last night - WOW! :P ....can't believe I've never heard it before, but I have led a sheltered life :P

link

Blinding tune Billy! that horn section comes in right on the money, spinetingling!! :thumbup:

Also, (and shoot me down in flames on this one if you must) Mark (Maddog) spun, rather daringly, I thought, The Flaming Emeralds "Have some everybody"-Fee F**k how good did that sound booming round a venue again!! Haven't heard that since Wigan. With the 'revive a seventies tune' tip going on, I shall dig this out again! blush.gif

PS Good to see you and Geordie! :yes:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Promatics - Think I'm Gonna Let You Go - Brown Door  :good:  :thumbup:

Whats your record of the weekend?

link

CAN I HAVE THREE?

A'INT NO DANGER - CLIFFORD CURRY - UTTER CLASS, BUY IT WHILE ITS STILL CHEAP, WOULD BE THREE THOUSAND IF IT WAS SUPER RARE.

FOOTSTEPS OF A FOOL - MAVIS RIVERS - FIRST HEARD THIS ON SAT NITE AT THE MARRS - KNOCKOUT TOTAL ATMOSPHERIC RHYTHM R'B

AND MY FAVOURITE WHICH HAS BEEN A MONSTER IN OUR LOUNGE FOR THREE WEEKS - TEN THINGS I WOULDN'T DO - SHIRLEY ALSTON............MAGIC

Social source share

CAN I HAVE THREE?

A'INT NO DANGER - CLIFFORD CURRY - UTTER CLASS, BUY IT WHILE ITS STILL CHEAP, WOULD BE THREE THOUSAND IF IT WAS SUPER RARE.

Buy another copy now.

I'll play it at Sam's John. You know it will go big then. :thumbup: Agree though, great record.

(The next 'Pyramid' / Tommy Neal) blush.gif

Social source share

The Flaming Embers "Have some everybody"-Fee F**k how good did that sound booming round a venue again!! Haven't heard that since Wigan. With the 'revive a seventies tune' tip going on, I shall dig this out again! :thumbup:

link

Been hearing this in certain quarters again lately, and the instrumental flip.

What a feel-good record!!!!!! thumbsup.gif:P

Social source share

Heard Tony Hatfield play this at York last night - WOW! thumbsup.gif ....can't believe I've never heard it before, but I have led a sheltered life :P

link

Wow, just listened to it at the soulclub.

Great taste Billy. :thumbup:

I got to get me this LP, too, also the other tracks mentioned are pretty good.

Has anybody a value for this LP and what is it called? Hopefully a poor student is also able to buy it. :yes:

Social source share

Has anybody a value for this LP and what is it called? Hopefully a poor student is also able to buy it. :P

link

The LP's called "Would you believe" on Smash. Just missed one at £60, was rated it at £70 in an erlier post. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The LP's called "Would you believe" on Smash. Just missed one at £60, was rated it at £70 in an erlier post. :thumbup:

link

Thanks for that Billy, so probably not this month.

Back to topic:

My record of the weekend is Ronnie Milsap - Total Disaster

After searching for it at a responsable price for a while, I got it last week thumbsup.gif

Social source share

1 Maurice Williams "I don' love you anymore" (CYCLONE) - f*king brilliant this why does nobody play it?

link

Its actually Maurice Long, on 45 and LP, dont have the LP but believe it has at least one other good track.

I used to play this regularly at Shotts, fantastic ending, bit slow for current crowd methinks.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Is it the same as Lee Maye's 'Total Disaster' on Pic 1?

Bloody rare record that..... :P

link

Yes it is the same version, but I don't have the money at the moment to pay 500 or 600 UKP.

So I decided to get me the cheaper version, also I think the Lee Maye version is a little bit better.

But when I get rich.. thumbsup.gif

PS: You can listen to both versions at JM's site :thumbup:

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

Its actually Maurice Long, on 45 and LP, dont have the LP but believe it has at least one other good track.

I used to play this regularly at Shotts, fantastic ending, bit slow for current crowd methinks.

Cheers

Jock

link

I've got a spare of this for £30 if anyone wants it. Offlist

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

I had nice weather in Baltimore this weekend, but the real records didn't come out to play.

Picked up a few odds and ends, but one of the highlights for me was picking up the Rose Royce LP on Epic for $1 with the track "Still In Love". Really nice jazzy soul song from 1982 with a long instrumental break. Would love to have the 12" of this. Really classy song. Also got a free Timi Yuro LP. Record is trashed but the cover is halfway decent. Quincy Jones "Stuff Like That" white promo 12" from 1978-NEVER SEE THIS! Got to be rare.

My favorite finds were on CD though. Picked up some good used CDs. Got the out-of-print Motown Year By Year CD for 1964. Has "Midnight Johnny" and "If Your Heart Says Yes" by the Serenaders. I've been dying to hear that track again for the longest time. I havent heard it for years. not bad for $3.00. I also picked up a couple of the Dap-Tone CDs used-Sharon Jones and the Mighty Imperials CDs. I've really slept on this stuff because I get skeptical about people making new old-sounding soul music, but I have to admit, they do a great job of making things sound authentic. I was very impressed with the sound and the packaging. And then I picked up a nice Incognito CD from 1999-No Time Like the Future-had a nice house version of "Nights Over Egypt", plus "Fearless" which was a big Norman Jay spin. Always liked that group. I'm sure there's loads of great Acid Jazz that I've never heard, too.

Heard a lot of people talking about D-Train on here...I'm working on running the entire Prelude label and so far I've got quite a bit, but I constantly get doubles. If anyone's looking for Prelude stuff, let me know. I have many spare copies for sale. I don't have Lorraine Johnson or Gayle Adams "Baby I Need...", but have loads of other titles for sale. If anyone needs D-Train and stuff like that, bw sure to PM me about it.

Happy digging everyone. I'm hoping next weekend will be more fruitful in the northern soul department for me. C'mon Shrine, Hem, Hubba Bubba, Ru-Jac...where are you?

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Has anybody a value for this LP and what is it called? Hopefully a poor student is also able to buy it. :P

link

Tempests - Someday is one of the best tunes played at Stafford. Dawn Brown played it for me on my 40th birthday, and just about every other chance she gets. thumbsup.gif

My tune of the weekend. Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher. I walked into a shop at the weekend. Three shop assistants and one of their mates at the till, had absolutely lost it. They were all belting it out, out of tune, and jigging along. It totally consumed them and they must have temporarily forgotten where they were.

My missus moaned about it. I said, "Thats what a really ###ing good record does to you, and the only place I get to see that reaction regularly is at Northern Soul do's. "

Aint we lucky.

Social source share

Cheers

Jock

link

Sorry Jock, meant Marurice Long....

The two goood tracks are the A & B of the single on Cyclone. The other flip's called "A lover's question". No where near as good as other side but not bad as B-0sides go :thumbup:

Billy thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Tempests - Someday is one of the best tunes played at Stafford

Ill Second That Best Lp Ever I Sold Most Of My Records A Few Years Ago But This Is One Of The Few Things I Kept ,What value For money ,What Can You Get For 70 Quid These Days.

I Dug Out 'Burning Bush ,Keeps On Burning ' Over The Weekend ,Superb Forgotten How Good This Was.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Mark

link

The Difosco track is getting a few spins at the moment , nice choice Mark

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I was ill this weekend so I was listening to Scott Walker "scott 4" - genuis a true living legend and I 've been fortunate to meet him

oh and Bessie Smith" empress of the blues"

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My highlight was hearing Larry Banks & Jaibi 'You Make Me Feel So Good' belting out of a coffee shop on Islington Green. Presumably off Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol 4 as it hadn't been out until then.

link

I wonder if its the same coffee shop I heard playing David & the Giants - 10 miles high? Is it close to the LLoyds bank opposite the bus stop going towards highbury corner?

I posted on here about being drunk opening the door and yelling TUNE. You were the only one to back me up on that insistance on here. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Great taste Billy. wicked.gif

Has anybody a value for this LP and what is it called? Hopefully a poor student is also able to buy it. :wicked:

link

Great Lp , try gem you should get one for 'round about 70/80 squid

When you get it look at the front cover and try to work out which one of the guys is the lead singer !!!

Standout track apart from "someday " is "can't stand to lose her " amazing flute solo in the middle of it !!!

Good luck

Social source share

Sorry Jock, meant Marurice Long....

The two goood tracks are the A & B of the single on Cyclone. The other flip's called "A lover's question". No where near as good as other side but not bad as B-0sides go wicked.gif

Billy :wicked:

link

The flip of the 45 isn't the other good track on the lp. I can't remember the track but it is another goodie tho' not quite as good as "You dont love me ...." I'll post up when I get home and dig the lp out. The only way to get both tracks is to get the lp.

Jordi

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!