Big Thanks Are Always Welcome

Guest BIGBOY

JUST TO SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO A PROMOTER WHO IS TRULY INTERESTED IN SOUL MUSIC - PETE ROBINSON WHO PROMOTES THE MARRS BAR, LAST NITE WAS GREAT LOTS OF FRIENDLY PEOPLE, GREAT ATMOSPHERE. I KNOW YOU WERE A LITTLE DOWN ON NUMBERS BUT THE NUMBERS THAT WERE IN WERE THE RIGHT ONES.

THANKS ALSO TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO TOOK TIME OUT TO TALK - IT MAKES IT WORTHWHILE. JUST FOR THE RECORD, PLAYLIST FOLLOWS, IF ANYBODY ELSE FANCIES A PLAYLIST LIKE THIS AT THEIR VENUE JUST GIVE ME A RING..............

IF YOU DON'T COME - PATIENCE VALENTINE - SAR

MY MAN DON'T THINK I KNOW - GWEN DAVIS - SS7

JEANETTE - WADE FLEMONS - RAMSEL

BLACK WING'S HAVE MY ANGEL - HAYES COTTON - RESIST

NAUGHTY BOY - JACKIE DAY - PHELECTRON

THE CHASE IS ON - JOHNNY HOWARD - BASHIE

OPEN UP YOUR HEART - THE MAMSELLES - ABC

SHE'S WANTED - LARRY CLINTON - 1ST STUDIO TAKE.

LOVE KEEPS ME CRYING - WALTER WILSON - WAND

THAT'S THE WAY LOVE IS - HESITATIONS - KAPP STUDIO CUT

AIN'T NO DANGER - CLIFFORD CURRY - ELF

YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY - CHANDLERS - COLSOUL

HEY GIRL YOU'VE CHANGED - VONDELLS - AIRTOWN CUSTOM

TWINKLE LITTLE STAR - TRADITIONS - ABET

NERVOUS BREAKDOWN - RONNIE FORTE - TARX

I'M NOT BUILT THAT WAY (INST) HESITATIONS BAND - KAPP STUDIO

I'M A BIG MAN - BIG DADDY ROGERS - MIDAS

TAKE MY HEART - MARY SAXTON - QUALITY

A LITTLE LESS TALK - JERI SHAW - MASTERSOUND

SAY YES BABY - MATADORS - CHAVIS

YOU COULD'VE HAD A GOOD THING - BILLY MIRANDA - QUEENS

WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM - CHICO LAMAAR - FULLER

LOVE IS A HURTING GAME - FOUR SIGHTS - SHY-SOUL

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH - JOHNNY SAYLES - ST LAWRENCE

JUST FOR THE RECORD I HAD A VERY GOOD SPOT, IT WAS MY FIRST TIME AT THE MARRS BAR, IT IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, GREAT ATMOSPHERE,PETE HAS GOT IT RIGHT...............THE LAST RECORD JOHNNY SAYLES I THROUGH IN FOR NOSTALGIA, IT'S A GREAT RECORD ANYWAY, IT ALSO PROVIDED THE NEXT DJ WITH A TOTALLY FULL FLOOR.

THANKS WORCESTER AND ALL THE NICE PEOPLE WHO CAME UP AND SPOKE TO ME..............JV

:thumbup:blush.gif:P:P:yes::P

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I CAN'T GET ENOUGH - JOHNNY SAYLES - ST LAWRENCE

THE LAST RECORD JOHNNY SAYLES I THROUGH IN FOR NOSTALGIA, IT'S A GREAT RECORD ANYWAY

link

A great oldie indeed, one I always play myself, and also gets me on the floor when played......... :thumbup:

Nice selection of tunes there too....... blush.gif

Social source share

THE CHASE IS ON - JOHNNY HOWARD - BASHIE

love this one!  :thumbup:

can we have this at the next sams?

Shane

link

You can have the lot at next Sam's

sneaks advert in Friday February 18th 12 djs two rooms, wall to wall aural sensations, foxy women free......................

Social source share

You can have the lot at next Sam's

sneaks advert in Friday February 18th 12 djs two rooms, wall to wall aural sensations, foxy women free......................

link

The foxy women are free ? :thumbup:

Social source share

The foxy women are free ?  :thumbup:

link

NOW IF I WAS RUNNING A TRULY COMMERCIAL OPERATION I WOULD CHARGE, BUT AS ITS YOU......................

OK THEN, A REAL UNDERGROUND FOX FOC

Social source share

Yup.

Jarred on the senses......... no flow to the set.... jumped about from style to style with no apparent rhyme or reason.......

Only a couple of tracks I didn't like (which made a change for one of Sams sets), so not too bad.

WOOF!

link

Been thinking about this, Joe.

It may have been partly my fault cos it was a time of night when I didn't feel like sitting listening (for some reason :wicked: ) and asked him for a couple of fast dancers, and as Sam always tries to please he also played one I had asked for the night before. This was about 2/3rds of the way through his set.

These are the type of records I personally like to hear the man play!

Can't help thinking that Sam's sets come in for more scrutiny than most and that there are more people ready to critcise him than other DJs.

Reckon this is because for many, many years he has been willing to try something different and sometimes it's bound to misfire.

I'm not trying to argue with you mate, but I think you are being a bit harsh. The tracks he plays are different to the norm, just as your nighter is, and I look forward to both :wicked:

Dave

Are you going to Stoke, BTW?

Social source share

Been thinking about this, Joe.

Can't help thinking that Sam's sets come in for more scrutiny than most and that there are more people ready to critcise him than other DJs.

Reckon this is because for many, many years he has been willing to try something different and sometimes it's bound to misfire.

I'm not trying to argue with you mate, but I think you are being a bit harsh. The tracks he plays are different to the norm, just as your nighter is, and I look forward to both blush.gif

Dave

link

Agreed. He must be the most booked DJ on the scene - his diary is fuller than Russ W's recod box, so he cannot be that bad.... :huh:

Social source share

To be honest you either like Soul Sam's 'nu modern' or you don't. Its not about being harsh or whether he is the most booked DJ. It is about taste at the end of the day. I always find Sam very polite and generally all round nice bloke but I am not a fan of the type of modern he plays. As I have said before I think he can be excellent at times and you can not forget about what he has done for the scene over many years. I often wonder why a lot of the other named DJ's choose not to play the type of modern that Sam plays. I say this because the better 60's stuff soon finds a home in most of the big dj's boxes. For example, who else plays Kenny Thomas apart from Sam? I am not talking about the 'modern' dj's.

Shane

Social source share

IMHO Soul Sam is the most talked about and most 'done down' DJ on the scene, despite being one of the very best, and certainly in the opinion of many 6T's Mafia members, DJ's in the UK. I find that Sam can blend a set well, playing a totally different set upstairs in The Ghetto! than the one he plays in the Main Hall and yet having the crowd rooving to his selection that always stays true to his belief that it's the SOUL above all else that should be the overiding criteria. The fact that he's always fully booked speaks volumes and he certainly ranks up there with Butch and Mick Smith as a crowd puller. Now, enough of this love-in! He may be a great DJ and a true Soul Man with impeccable taste but he is still bleeding inept when it comes to using technology!!!! AND he still weras those gingham PJ's when he's sleeping over at my house :-O

Social source share

AND he still weras those gingham PJ's when he's sleeping over at my house :-O

link

We put him up in the spare room without realising the lightbulb had blown. I had visions of him fiddling with the switch all night thumbsup.gif:huh:

Seriously, I am such a huge fan of Sam, particularly for his Xover plays which he gets absolutely bang on IMHO. It seems that the critics come from the other ends of the spectrum; when he delves either further back into the past, or into a more contemporary tip. But I love the fact that he doesn't compromise - its his strength in many ways and there are not many DJ's on the soul scene that embrace it all and serve it all up at the same time. By doing that he's not going to please all the people all the time but at least he has the bottle and the belief to do it. And he still turns me on to more 'wants' than any other major player.

God bless him, he's a National Treasure (think I nicked that one from Tim Brown !)

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

We put him up in the spare room without realising the lightbulb had blown. I had visions of him fiddling with the switch all night  :huh:   :yes:

Seriously, I am such a huge fan of Sam, particularly for his Xover plays which he gets absolutely bang on IMHO. It seems that the critics come from the other ends of the spectrum; when he delves either further back into the past, or into a more contemporary tip. But I love the fact that he doesn't compromise - its his strength in many ways and there are not many DJ's on the soul scene that embrace it all and serve it all up at the same time. By doing that he's not going to please all the people all the time but at least he has the bottle and the belief to do it. And he still turns me on to more 'wants' than any other major player.

God bless him, he's a National Treasure (think I nicked that one from Tim Brown !)

link

I like Sam's djing style , he is always willing to try something different it may not always work but as Alison mentions "he has the bottle and belief "

Sam stays out of the comfort zone and for this fact should be applauded thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Alison - you think that's bad make sure 1) he doesn't use your shower (ask him about it and he'll go all red!) and 2) we gave him a torch at The Ghetto! once and god bless the cheeky little chappie, he couldn't turn it on!!!!! We adore Sam and as you say he's put us onto more soul wants than any other DJ I can think of!!!

Social source share

To be honest you either like Soul Sam's 'nu modern' or you don't. Its not about being harsh or whether he is the most booked DJ. It is about taste at the end of the day. I always find Sam very polite and generally all round nice bloke but I am not a fan of the type of modern he plays. As I have said before I think he can be excellent at times and you can not forget about what he has done for the scene over many years. I often wonder why a lot of the other named DJ's choose not to play the type of modern that Sam plays. I say this because the better 60's stuff soon finds a home in most of the big dj's boxes. For example, who else plays Kenny Thomas apart from Sam? I am not talking about the 'modern' dj's.

Shane

link

I'm not too sure what's meant by "nu modern"??? I thought the stuff in the lounge area was that, and nice enough it was too.

When Sam's in a "main room", I don't think he plays that much of what I would call modern. Now my memory is returning I recall from the weekend Robert Tanner, Eddie Whitehead, Del Larks, Hamilton Movement, both sides of Marg Little, Cashmeres etc. :D

As for that Kenny Thomas, which I personally don't like, it gets played more than enough if you go to places like Cleethorpes or, god forbid, Hull! :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!