Newby & Johnson - Info Please

Markw

Picked up locally, not from a soul dealer, a 45 on UK Mercury dated 1970 by Newby & Johnson - "I Want To Give You My Everything". Very nice crossover floater very similar in style, tempo, strings etc to George Jackson - "I Don't Have The Time To Love You", coincidentally on the same label (though not UK of course). Male and female duet by the sounds of the vocals. Really is a nice tune.

Anybody able to help with any info at all on this item? Anyone heard it out anywhere?

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Picked up locally, not from a soul dealer, a 45 on UK Mercury dated 1970 by Newby & Johnson - "I Want To Give You My Everything". Very nice crossover floater very similar in style, tempo, strings etc to George Jackson - "I Don't Have The Time To Love You", coincidentally on the same label (though not UK of course). Male and female duet by the sounds of the vocals. Really is a nice tune.

Anybody able to help with any info at all on this item? Anyone heard it out anywhere?

link

Also got a US release which is pretty easy to pick up. I think the other side "sweet happiness" got played a bit at the time, probably cos it sounds a bit more 60sish.

"Everything" got booted on a crossover CD that you see now and again.

Godz

Social source share

link

I am pretty sure I have another version of this, duo again but better vocals (I suppose I would say that since I dont have N & J wouldnt I :thumbup:thumbsup.gif )

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Interesting. I was around a lot of venues 2/3 year ago but didn't register this one myself.

link

Definitely had spins at the Yarmouth Soul Essence weekenders and at the Orwell gigs too over the years, Mark.

Heard it in the Fleetwood tent via Terry Jones, I think. He seems to play it now and again.

Rob.

Social source share

Thanks for all the input folks. Nice to stumble across tunes like this and nice to know it has been recognised.

link

This was issued twice in the UK, in 1970 and 1971. Phonogram didn't even bother to give it a new number. There's also a version by Carl Douglas:

DOUGLAS, CARL PYE 45551 I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY EVERYTHING / WITCHFINDER GENERAL

and on US

CANDY & SWEETS TWENTIETH CENTURY 2044 DJ I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY EVERYTHING / SAME

Paul

SITC

Social source share

This was issued twice in the UK, in 1970 and 1971. Phonogram didn't even bother to give it a new number. There's also a version by Carl Douglas:

DOUGLAS, CARL PYE 45551  I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY EVERYTHING / WITCHFINDER GENERAL

and on US

CANDY & SWEETS TWENTIETH CENTURY 2044 DJ I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY EVERYTHING / SAME

Paul

SITC

link

Its the candy and sweets 45 I have, well done for saving my pathetic memory,

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

• 12 years later...

(Diane) Newby, previously on Kapp and (Larry) Johnson, formerly lead on the Del Royals ‘Man of Value for Mercury. 

The rhythm track was cut in Detroit using the expertise of Tony Camillo. 

Vocals were added in New York.

Edited by Goldsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!