N.soul In The Strangest Places

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

Was shopping in Marks and Sparks in Moorgate, London and blimey.......Rufus Lumley, I'm standing came whispering out of a speaker above my head. Which got me thinking - where is the strangest place that you've ever heard a Northern tune being played......where it had no business being in the first place :wicked: Jo

Social source share

Was shopping in Marks and Sparks in Moorgate, London and blimey.......Rufus Lumley, I'm standing came whispering out of a speaker above my head.  Which got me thinking - where is the strangest place that you've ever heard a Northern tune being played......where it had no business being in the first place  :wicked: Jo

link

C&As at Oxford Circus playing "Never for me" by the Millionaires.

Paul

SITC

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Was shopping in Marks and Sparks in Moorgate, London and blimey.......Rufus Lumley, I'm standing came whispering out of a speaker above my head.  Which got me thinking - where is the strangest place that you've ever heard a Northern tune being played......where it had no business being in the first place  :wicked: Jo

link

A certain Berlin bunker 1945 - seriously though I never tend to hear Northern where I shouldn't -Alot of my non soulie friends do , perhaps I need to listen more carefully !!!!!!

Social source share

Thats strange. Me and my wife went to Carnaby Street the other day. Walks into a Ben Sherman shop... Nomads is playing. I found it so unbelievable, i had to call up my Dad on the mobile and let him listen :wicked:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Thats strange. Me and my wife went to Carnaby Street the other day. Walks into a Ben Sherman shop... Nomads is playing. I found it so unbelievable, i had to call up my Dad on the mobile and let him listen  :wicked:

link

Hmm, Carnaby Street.......OK, I'll let you off as it's the Nomads - but the Ben Sherman shop.......they do have to keep up aural appearances as well as visual wicked.gif Jo
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

C&As at Oxford Circus playing "Never for me" by the Millionaires.

Paul

SITC

link

Wow, get you - C&A.......and I took you for a Prada Boy :wicked: But that's probably going to win the Strangest Places Kinder Egg Award....Let's see - early days yet. Anymore for any more? Jo
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

link

Heard Marvin Gayes Rare And Unreleased cd Playing In A Cafe In Las Palmas Gran Caneria Over Christmas.

Social source share

Karmello Brooks in the pub on Sunday whilst tucking into my roast. Thought it was a bit surreal, I mean, I was in Wigan but hardly the normal location for hearing such a tune...then I realised they were playing Richard Searling's radio show....

Social source share

link

LETS FACE IT THIS IS GETTING AS BAD AS 1976..............

UNDERGROUND = NORTHERN SOUL....AT THE MOMENT NS IS ON THE CIRCLE LINE, WE NEED IT BACK ON THE NORTHERN LINE.

wicked.gif

NOT BAD FOR MONDAY...............

Social source share

Guest Duncan3k

In the early '90's when I arrived at the UK, I worked for Coats n Hats, and nearly fell over when on my first day heard Chuck Jackson and a whole host of tunes, I knew the UK was home of N Soul but never expected to hear it in C & A i went to Drummonds a week later and told someone and they didnt believe me,

I didnt know what to do or think, underground overground, felt like a womble!!

ha ha

D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I was in a clothes shop in Chislehurst on Saturday and they was playing "the best of Ian Levine" CD

link

Name them and shame them wicked.gif and we'll send the boys round :wicked:
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

It was in 1973!

link

Ow Paul - and thought you meant recently........but then C&A did go into liquidation a couple of years ago....but I did see one in Vienna recently but I didn't go in to check if they had the Millionaires playing on their 8 Track :wicked: Jo

Social source share

Ow Paul - and thought you meant recently........but then C&A did go into liquidation a couple of years ago....but I did see one in Vienna recently but I didn't go in to check if they had the Millionaires playing on their 8 Track  :wicked: Jo

link

No, recently was in Matalan at Charlton where they were playing "The snake"! wicked.gif

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Just been on holiday to Turkey, Gail & I are wandering around Manchester Terminal 2 duty free when lo & behold the Yum Yums - Gonna be a big thing, come blaring out. :huh: :yes:

Take care,be safe & remember,"It's gonna be a big thing",

Spot. :shades:

Edited by spot
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest woody no1

a few years ago this is gonna sound way out there but i swear its true was down local walk in center for stiches "had cut my head open" in work accident was waiting to be seen and the tv was on it was quite noisey in the waiting room busy period and im think home& away the aussie sope was on it was a beach scene with a couple walking on the beach holding hands and the backround muisc was the ideals "mighty lover"

Social source share

in Morocco about 25 years ago on a cheap holiday, walked into a bar/cafe thing in the middle of basically sand and there was a juke box, on it was "and get away" the esquires

also sitting in a trendy town pub, the music was low key ambient type of stuff including flowers "so real" and it fitted in with the orb etc type of music

that DIY SOS programme sometimes play the instrumental to nowhere to run,

and finally ive told this story before, me and a few mates went out with wives etc many years ago in nottingham, the girls kept going on about a club/pub they wanted to go to called the Blue something or other i think, anyway we got there and as we walked in curtis "how can i tell her" started blasting out of the speakers, of course me and my mate hit the floor only to realise we were surrounded by lots of men with moustaches wearing vests, :ohmy:

Social source share

Now that's weird . My story also relates to the above record . We were on a cruise around the Med. and i was flicking through the list of sounds on the in house T.V./ jukebox , checked out the R&B section when I came across Charles Sheffield also found Al Wilson Show and tell . Made a great holiday even better.

Social source share

On a business trip in Jakarta, a year or so ago I was on my way to a have an evening meal with some clients. The taxi dropped me off next to a few bars and restaurants. Anyway, while on the way to the restaurant I was stopped in my step as coming from the outside speakers of one bar was Salt & Pepper - Man of my word. Being late for the meal I kept going. However, a few hours later after the meal I went back to that bar. When asked, the bartender I spoke to hadn't a clue what I was talking about. Had hoped to find a DJ spinning rare original disks but afraid not - just a CD player with CDR's.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

STAX Wholesalers in Wardley Manchester playing Dean Parrish I'm on my Way recently

and a bar in Paignton Devon had a few NS 45's on their juke box back in the mid 70's including Freddie Chavez

Social source share

Almost forgot, Soul Trip USA, Gail & I sat having breakfast in Chicago at a Deli & on comes Gypsies - It's a womans world.

Take care,be safe & remember,"It's a womans world, you betta believe it",

Spot. :shades:

Social source share

t k maxx in grantham play northern on a regular basis heard tainted love, & the nite . and they have some good gear as well

The TK Maxx in Cheadle, South Manchester is always playing a lot of quality soul including Northern.

Not sure if individual managers get to select the tapes to play in the branch

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

was walking round woolworths a few months back and heard marvin and tammy, martha reeves and the temptations over a spot of about 8 tunes between them !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that is a place called parabidoo, in the middle of the dessert mid west australia. northern soul!

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

I was in a clothes shop in Chislehurst on Saturday and they was playing "the best of Ian Levine" CD

I was at my Christmas do at a local hotel (miffed because I was missing out on a local ns event) and the 'best of Ian Levine' CD was playing during the meal!!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Having a meal with relatives about a year ago in a pub/restaraunt (Eaton Farm at Long Eaton) surrounded by the sounds of Barry Manilow, Cliff etc etc (the usual shite) when out of the blue Bobby Treetop "Wait Till I Get To Know Ya" belts out, then back to Manilow and friends. Completely on it's own, nothing else at all Northern, Motown or whatever. Nearly choked on me steak & ale pie.

Social source share

T K Maxx last week ...Billy Hawks "oh baby" i sh.t you not !!!........ended up having a dance of with my little girl ...needless to say

she won :yes: ...but boy it was fun , not only that had forgotten what i had gone for , hows silly is that :huh::D

Social source share

STAX Wholesalers in Wardley Manchester playing Dean Parrish I'm on my Way recently

and a bar in Paignton Devon had a few NS 45's on their juke box back in the mid 70's including Freddie Chavez

i think a bloke from derby put them on as he went to work there for a while, funny how your post has triggered a really obscure random memory, was another one the ambers by any chance

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

i think a bloke from derby put them on as he went to work there for a while, funny how your post has triggered a really obscure random memory, was another one the ambers by any chance

I can't remember as it was a long time ago , summer of 1976 , Northern Soul , lots of beer , sunshine and thousands of blonde Swedish language students some how fuddles the mind LoL!
Social source share

I can't remember as it was a long time ago , summer of 1976 , Northern Soul , lots of beer , sunshine and thousands of blonde Swedish language students some how fuddles the mind LoL!

aha the combination of memories of swedish language students and cockington cider, bliss

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

aha the combination of memories of swedish language students and cockington cider, bliss

Never , ever again on that Cockington Cider ! :lol:
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

A few years back in the Canaries , the hotels used to have VIP Radio on which Kev Roberts used to do a full hour of Top northern soul , i think on a Saturday night between 6pm and 7pm , i think Dave Evison guested on it as well ?

Social source share

Was going to mention Anne Sexton "You've been gone too long " in TK Maxx today, then in an advert for ITV Coverage for the Euro Championships, the have the MVPS as the theme.!

Paul

It's been mentioned on the Euro song or footy thread, but it was a good choice of song for the clip of footy that was shown.
Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

still the wierdest place ive heard northern played is the Grand Arcade allnighters-just wrong.went once never again, :facepalm:

Social source share

May have mentioned before, but some years ago I was in Miami on my birthday, Liza and I went shopping, I got nothing but she brought bags of cloths back, anyhow feeling a tad put out about this, with a smile of course we nip into a coffee shop and the moment we sit down with our drinks on comes Spiral Staircase - More today then yesterday; made my day that. however although its not know over here on the oldies stations, they do play it over there as it got in the national charts I think..

Mal.C

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!