Gary

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Richard Bergman

Just browsing the film channels and came across this old gem, any suggestions for best soul related soundtrack?

link

What about Jo-Jo Dancer ?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm a bit of a Rose Royce fan so 'Carwash' would have to be up there.

And I re-found my tape of 'Coast to Coast' at the weekend.

Its really old taped from TV video, but its still watchable.

Great find. Great quotes, great music, great film.

As was discussed about a year ago on here.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Just browsing the film channels and came across this old gem, any suggestions for best soul related soundtrack?

link

The "Wattstax" album coudl be classed in the film category could'nt it , but I found it a bit poor

Social source share

I'm a bit of a Rose Royce fan so 'Carwash' would have to be up there.

And I re-found my tape of 'Coast to Coast' at the weekend.

Its really old taped from TV video, but its still watchable.

Great find. Great quotes, great music, great film.

As was discussed about a year ago on here.

link

Do you a perfect DVD of that if you want - complete with letter from the director saying why it would never be reshown :wicked:

Social source share

"Do The Right Thing" has got some cracking tracks. The winner has got to be Superfly though.

link

The best soundtrack has to be the "dead presidents society"

Social source share

There were a few goodish teen movies released in the 80's like Shag and Dance party. Mainly featureing beach music and tracks like Monkey Time & It will Stand. Crap movies reasonable music. I quite enjoyed Hairspray as well(the movie, not the grooming product)

Social source share

Agree with the original proposition that "Across 110th Street" is the king of all Blaxploitation songs, but the score from the original Shaft will always take some beating as a coherent movie soundtrack: things from it like "Cafe Reggio" still sound amazing.

I've raved here before about the Al Green/Booker T & the MGs version of "A Change Is Gonna Come" from the Will Smith/Michael Mann film "Ali": an incredible live version where AG wrings every last drop of emotion from one of soul's greatest songs; a moment of musical history far, far better than the film in which it was used.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

" THE LOST MAN" soundtrack, B film late 60's starring Sydney Poitier, featuring Soul music from Ernestine Anderson and the Pree Sisters amongst others. Actually ordered this from Dusty Groove in Chicago before i went there a few years back (had heard a track on the LP that i went mad for) anyway i arrived at the shop, only to be told that they had sold it :wicked: , the young fellow calmed me down and said he would go look through the stock while i browsed, anyhow purely by chance they had another copy, which i gladly snapped up. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Agree with the original proposition that "Across 110th Street" is the king of all Blaxploitation songs, but the score from the original Shaft will always take some beating as a coherent movie soundtrack: things from it like "Cafe Reggio" still sound amazing.

link

Bumpy's theme was my favourite... i wonder what ever happened to my LP..? :wicked:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Bobby Womack's Across 110th Street was used at the end of Tarentino's 'Jackie Brown'....or am i'm pointing out the obvious? :wicked:

Black Caeser - has a great soundtrack by James Brown. Includes the superb 'Boss' :(

Check out www.moviegrooves.com for blaxploitation soundtracks by Marvin Gaye, Edwin Starr amongst others :wicked:

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

" THE LOST MAN" soundtrack, B film late 60's starring Sydney Poitier, featuring Soul music from Ernestine Anderson and the Pree Sisters amongst others. Actually ordered this from Dusty Groove in Chicago before i went there a few years back (had heard a track on the LP that i went mad for) anyway i arrived at the shop, only to be told that they had sold it :wicked: , the young fellow calmed me down and said he would go look through the stock while i browsed, anyhow purely by chance they had another copy, which i gladly snapped up. :wicked:

link

Think your right here Brett, this one is tops. Shaft aswell, purely for nostalgia.

Social source share

link

Agree wid ya Gareth bout "Cafe Reggio".... was just playin this tother nite to lass, It still sounds so fresh today after wot... thirty odd years!!! :wicked:

Steve

Social source share

Bobby Womack's Across 110th Street was used at the end of Tarentino's 'Jackie Brown'....or am i'm pointing out the obvious? :wicked:

At the beginning as well great movie .The scene when Jackie Brown is released from jail and is walking towards the bail bondsman to the sound of Bloodstone "natural High" is brilliant. .Gladys Knights lp produced by Curtis Mayfield for the film Claudine is a fantastic lp "make yours a happy home"is a blinding 7ts midtempo track :wicked:

Social source share

"I've raved here before about the Al Green/Booker T & the MGs version of "A Change Is Gonna Come" from the Will Smith/Michael Mann film "Ali": an incredible live version where AG wrings every last drop of emotion from one of soul's greatest songs; a moment of musical history far, far better than the film in which it was used."

Hi Gareth - what chance an mp3?

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

link

The Ray Charles score for "The Heat Of The Night " is a good soundtrack contains a track called" feeling groovy" but doesnt list the artist - Know it was covered by anoother artist who's name escapes me as well -

Need a lie down !!!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Agreed Adam Claudine is a great album no one has mentioned Cleopatra Jones (good soundtrack) but Superfly has to be the ultimate soundtrack

a brief chartlet in order perhaps

Superfly - Curtis My Maan

Shaft - Ike Hayes

110th St - Bobby W

Cleopatra Jones - Joe Simon

Foxy Brown - Bill Hutch

Claudine - Curtis My Maan

and i for one actually love all of Tarrantino's soundtracks don't know if it's the collector in me but it certainly adds something for me knowing that each and every track is hand picked by Quent from his own vinyl collection :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!