Val Martinez - Someone's Gonna Cry

Guest lolmil

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Excellent and original version of the Patti Austin tune on Coral.

Val's is much grittier and with an Rn B flavour and deserves some plays.

On US RCA about 30 UK GBP but, in its rarest and most desirable form, namely an Aussie black RCA release you are looking at 100 UK GBP at least !!!

Social source share

Guest lolmil

On US RCA about 30 UK GBP but, in its rarest and most desirable form, namely an Aussie black RCA release you are looking at 100 UK GBP at least !!!

Thank you

Loll

Social source share

Just wondered why would anyone want an Aussie release as opposed to a US one? Serious question.

Social source share

I know that there are some Soulies out there who like to collect the odd foreign Soul 45...namely David Flynn spring to mind but I am sure there are loads of others. I recently had a Val Martinez "Pay Day" on ebay and not one bid which had me scratching my head...brill gritty R&B tune..in my book.

Marc

Social source share

This was fetching over £70 for a U.S. copy a few years back.

Probably levelled at about £50 now.

His other, more grittier RCA 45 'Payday' goes for around the £30 mark.

Aussie RCA 45s do look nice, and I'd certainly pay more for an Aussie 45 than a U.S.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i think i sold one for about 50 a couple of years back to wayne dearman. great record. one i play often at home.

get yourselves off to wayne dearmans 40th at qube on saturday. he will play it as always.

shane

Social source share

Yes I bought a few, I like the unusual labels like Astor - but whats that got to do with it?

I've a blue eyed R&B pop flavoured tune on Astor (with Astor sleeve) by Jimmy Hannan 'You Make Me Happy' if it's any good to you Pete?

Swap for a cheap ska or Northern tune???

Recently bought a Val Martinez blind and was really happy with it, great R&B sound!!

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SteveC

I've a blue eyed R&B pop flavoured tune on Astor (with Astor sleeve) by Jimmy Hannan 'You Make Me Happy' if it's any good to you Pete?

Swap for a cheap ska or Northern tune???

Recently bought a Val Martinez blind and was really happy with it, great R&B sound!!

Wasn't "You make me happy" on RCA was it - nice chirpy type tune. Is the Jimmy Hannan the same track??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert