Top 500 Valuation

Tomangoes

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How much would it cost to buy as listed in the Kev Roberts book 'top 500 singles', assuming you were in a position to do so.

First guess 100 grand. (Not a bad investment as you could make a living out of being a DJ)

Ed :wicked:

link

Apparently you can make a living as a DJ with £100 worth of CDs now. Anyway back on topic I'd think it's less than 100 grand if you buy sensibly. On the other hand if you wanted them all right now and it got out you had the money it would cost you more I guess. I know thats not really a guess is it :wicked: lets say £65k

Social source share

Guest Tony Darkin

Wouldn't it involve buying Frank Wilson & the Snake?  Surely a non starter for many people on here.!

link

When the first book came out, I listed all the artists, titles, labels and prices that Kev quoted for the records (Issues) on an Excel file, I don't why I did it, I guess it was the anorak in me. Anyway I never bothered to add it up, until now and the grand title is £110,198.

I haven't bought the second edition of the book, so I don't know how many of the top 500 have changed or what the actual value is today.

All the best

Tony Darkin

Social source share

I haven't bought the second edition of the book, so I don't know how many of the top 500 have changed or what the actual value is today.

All the best

Tony Darkin

link

I think the second edition was the same but those 'bubbling under' were also included, i.e. the top 600.

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

The book came out in 2000 and as you can imagine prices have gone up since then. I cant be arsed to add it all up but if you take a sample of 10 which is 2% and at random I took numbers 275 to 285. Then take the the issue prices from both the JM 3rd issue price guide and Tim Browns guide and then take an average. Then add those up and divide by 10 to get an average. This was slightly skewed by 280 Daybreak I need love which JM values at £1500 and 283 Frankie Beverly on Rouser which TB values at £8000. Anyway from this we can conclude that the average price for each single would be £888 and to buy the top 500 would cost £444000.00. I think a 10% sample would be better. And I need to get out more.

Social source share

The book came out in 2000 and as you can imagine prices have gone up since then.  I cant be arsed to add it all up but if you take a sample of 10 which is 2% and at random I took numbers 275 to 285.  Then take the the issue prices from both the JM 3rd issue price guide and Tim Browns guide and then take an average.  Then add those up and divide by 10 to get an average.  This was slightly skewed by 280 Daybreak I need love which JM values at £1500 and 283 Frankie Beverly on Rouser which TB values at £8000.  Anyway from this we can conclude that the average price for each single would be £888 and to buy the top 500 would cost £444000.00.  I think a 10% sample would be better.  And I need to get out more.

link

Perhaps I shouldn't have gone to Wigan on the Saturday before my maths O level on the monday morning. I could only ever work out that they were 10p each if they were 10 for a quid! :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!