Gloria Jones Come Go With Me

Craig W

• Replies 39
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What labels has this been booted on please.

What colour is the original uptown label.

hello craig,my mid 70s boot of this is on the black/silver uptown look alike label its vinyl not styrene and has a rough edge the boot is missing the small "etched star" in the run out groove that the originals have im sure this must has been booted in the 80s on different labels??? not sure if this has had a genuine re-issue hope this helps...soulie55..

whistling.gifwhistling.gif:D ...ps-great tune!!!!

Social source share

hello craig,my mid 70s boot of this is on the black/silver uptown look alike label its vinyl not styrene and has a rough edge the boot is missing the small "etched star" in the run out groove that the originals have im sure this must has been booted in the 80s on different labels??? not sure if this has had a genuine re-issue hope this helps...soulie55..

whistling.gifwhistling.gif:D ...ps-great tune!!!!

Thanks

so this is the bootleg label then

post-1363-1184880814_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Thanks

hello craig yes this looks kind of the same as my 70s boot but it has to have the small "etched star" in the run-out groove to be a real one also im not sure if original copys are on vinyl or styrene...soulie55... whistling.gifwhistling.gif:D ...
Social source share

Thanks

Are you not listening,looks good but original as a star daisy wheel type stamp in the run out. huh.gif

Social source share

CRAIG , THE BOOTLEG HAS A MATTIER FINNISH TO THE LABLE. ORIGINAL HAS MORE SHEEN PLUS IT HAS THE DAISY STAMP IN THE DEADWAX.

BEST, BRI.

And vinyl wink.gif

Social source share

Not got the 45 anymore but kept this tasty LP.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Wrong thread Mark,should be in cheap LP expencive 45s thread. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Are you not listening,looks good but original as a star daisy wheel type stamp in the run out. huh.gif

Kens right, on the issue. The daisy stamp is the same as the ones in the dead wax of Capitol label records. But, the demo's were pressed at another plant, & they DONT have the daisy stamp.

post-2021-1184882413_thumb.jpg

Social source share

And what an LP!

Never part with mine but still relatively cheap if you can find some one who is prepared to sell it.

Best

Tabs

Sold my EX condition Lp on Ebay recently for around £20.00.

Been quite a few on Ebay lately for around the £20.00 mark.

Social source share

That does suprise me, still a fine LP and i guess Kenny was right to include it in the cheap LP/Rare 45 thread going on.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Must have been a big seller cause i have never paid more than £20,brilliant tho`.

Social source share

Gloria Jones - Come Go With Me - Uptown

ORIGINAL gloss label

1. rare gloss vinish black label, Capitol press triangle stamped matrix I A M inside the triangle. Stamped in numbers 45 - 67091 - P 1

ORIGINAL matt label

2. The genuine authentic original press with the scratched in matrix. The 3 turn deadwax is 11.62mm wide. The matrix reads 67091 (a gap of 20.11mm) then -1A R-550. The vinyl is .98mm thick at the start of the run-in. "A" in the matrix is straight & sharp

ORIGINAL

3. White Promo

The genuine authentic original press with the scratched in matrix has a deadwax 11.62mm wide. The matrix reads 67091 (a gap of 20.11mm) then -1A R-550. The vinyl is .98mm thick at the start of the run-in.

Counterfeit copy the deadwax is 15.42mm wide. The matrix markings read 67091 (then a 4.43mm gap) - 1A R - 550. The flipside matrix in the matrix 67093 the 9 in this number resembles a small o with a small b joined together. COUNTERFEIT

sorry but this will be the last time I'll offer info for the identity of bootlegs, as we have a our new book to guide you on authenticity coming out in the new year.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Great 45, (both sides) heres the Canadian Capitol issue

post-1086-1184887316_thumb.jpg

Are you saying "Come Go With Me" in on BOTH sides??

Or is the usual flip title on it.

Mega rare on this format by the way and one of my all time favourites.

Social source share

How cool!!,how rare and who`s got a demo?.

Hi Ken

Now that is a good question, and it got me thinking.

I don't remember seeing any Canadian DEMO's for any release.

So is there any chance of finding a Canadian DEMO for Gloria Jones.

I have a few Canadian releases, various labels but ALL are Stock Copies.

Social source share

ORIGINAL gloss label

1. rare gloss vinish black label, Capitol press triangle stamped matrix I A M inside the triangle. Stamped in numbers 45 - 67091 - P 1

ORIGINAL matt label

2. The genuine authentic original press with the scratched in matrix. The 3 turn deadwax is 11.62mm wide. The matrix reads 67091 (a gap of 20.11mm) then -1A R-550. The vinyl is .98mm thick at the start of the run-in. "A" in the matrix is straight & sharp

ORIGINAL

3. White Promo

The genuine authentic original press with the scratched in matrix has a deadwax 11.62mm wide. The matrix reads 67091 (a gap of 20.11mm) then -1A R-550. The vinyl is .98mm thick at the start of the run-in.

Counterfeit copy the deadwax is 15.42mm wide. The matrix markings read 67091 (then a 4.43mm gap) - 1A R - 550. The flipside matrix in the matrix 67093 the 9 in this number resembles a small o with a small b joined together. COUNTERFEIT

sorry but this will be the last time I'll offer info for the identity of bootlegs, as we have a our new book to guide you on authenticity coming out in the new year.

Hi John

Look forward to the new Bootleg Guide, and Essential Purchase for collectors.

Did you once mention an On-Line guide as well or is my ageing memory letting me down.

Social source share

ORIGINAL gloss label

ORIGINAL matt label

ORIGINAL

3. White Promo

Thanks for that John. This boot is a hard one to spot without this information.This confirms mine is a boot.

Social source share

Hi Ken

Now that is a good question, and it got me thinking.

I don't remember seeing any Canadian DEMO's for any release.

So is there any chance of finding a Canadian DEMO for Gloria Jones.

I have a few Canadian releases, various labels but ALL are Stock Copies.

We have shelved the ON-LINE idea for the time being. @ the mo' we have 144,000 different entries to research.. I think we need at least 150,000 to get collectors to use it.

The idea is for you research any title by an artist you can enter the search and EVERY release of that title will appear with the value, label variations and any bootleg info required for authenticating. At the moment you can only research IN STOCK items.

We thought 4.9 cents per successful search which could include any number of results depending on the title, for instance Gloria Jones would have shown you TEN results with all the relevent info.

We could do it now, but I feel we need more info over other genres to make it work the massive cost of setting it up. So does $4.90 per 100 successful searchs, seem resonable? I don't know, but I know if I had a reliable instant source for Reggae, Rockabilly and Doo Wop i'd be signed up like a shot.. instead of wasting hours researching.

We have boxes and boxes full of rare records in these and other genres I can't find a value to..

Anyone think they would use this facility?? I'm not totally convinced.. but we are seriously considering the set costs, against the possible turnover.

Social source share

We have shelved the ON-LINE idea for the time being. @ the mo' we have 144,000 different entries to research.. I think we need at least 150,000 to get collectors to use it.

The idea is for you research any title by an artist you can enter the search and EVERY release of that title will appear with the value, label variations and any bootleg info required for authenticating. At the moment you can only research IN STOCK items.

We thought 4.9 cents per successful search which could include any number of results depending on the title, for instance Gloria Jones would have shown you TEN results with all the relevent info.

We could do it now, but I feel we need more info over other genres to make it work the massive cost of setting it up. So does $4.90 per 100 successful searchs, seem resonable? I don't know, but I know if I had a reliable instant source for Reggae, Rockabilly and Doo Wop i'd be signed up like a shot.. instead of wasting hours researching.

We have boxes and boxes full of rare records in these and other genres I can't find a value to..

Anyone think they would use this facility?? I'm not totally convinced.. but we are seriously considering the set costs, against the possible turnover.

Hi John

Thanks, I would have thought that it would be used,

but the cost of setting it up against use.

I can understand your caution.

Social source share

Hi John,

It's something that I would use, certainly save a lot of time googling things! However personally I would be happier with a set cost to have access to the database for a set amount of time rather than a price per succesful search. If it was a cost per search then I would only use it as a last resort when I had exhausted other search possibilities.

Adam.

Social source share

Hi John,

It's something that I would use, certainly save a lot of time googling things! However personally I would be happier with a set cost to have access to the database for a set amount of time rather than a price per succesful search. If it was a cost per search then I would only use it as a last resort when I had exhausted other search possibilities.

Adam.

Hi Adam

There is a cost to us all in time spent googling things.

A database facility would be Invaluble.

The "access to the database for a set amount of time rather than a price per succesful search"

I think that you are right, it would be a more popular option. I would use it.

Social source share

Hi Adam

There is a cost to us all in time spent googling things.

A database facility would be Invaluble.

The "access to the database for a set amount of time rather than a price per succesful search"

I think that you are right, it would be a more popular option. I would use it.

Maybe a 6 or 3 month membership fee or something like that.. which would give you access to everything I have on each individual file or the option to buy 100 @ a time, successful searchs, maybe?

Social source share

Maybe a 6 or 3 month membership fee or something like that.. which would give you access to everything I have on each individual file or the option to buy 100 @ a time, successful searchs, maybe?

Membership fee is the best option (or would be for me). I would much rather pay a set (reasonable!) fee and be able to use the database. Otherwise I would worry about either using up a set number of searches too quickly and then having to buy more or the cost of paying for each search when I'm looking for lots of 45s at the same time. There are days when I do internet searches on 50+ different records and a fee per search or fixed number of searches would soon make the service too expensive.

Adam.

Social source share

Meanwhile people can always ask of the 2000 other members on the offchance that they might know something about this subject :D

Social source share

Membership fee is the best option (or would be for me). I would much rather pay a set (reasonable!) fee and be able to use the database. Otherwise I would worry about either using up a set number of searches too quickly and then having to buy more or the cost of paying for each search when I'm looking for lots of 45s at the same time. There are days when I do internet searches on 50+ different records and a fee per search or fixed number of searches would soon make the service too expensive.

Adam.

Hi Adam,

Agree with you on this, membership fee etc.

Hi John

I don't know if this helps you, I guess it depends how many others are like minded on this.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Meanwhile people can always ask of the 2000 other members on the offchance that they might know something about this subject :thumbsup:

When we experience seasoned dealers getting £2k for a John & The Wierdest bootleg off a well known long term collector. And a "foremost" dealer charging Carl Willingham £300 for Gwen & Ray bootleg; with the selling point being, when questioned "it's the same as the one in my collection".

Is it ignorance or sharp-practice?

Either way if someone else has got the info at their fingertips to authenticate Northern Soul vinyl, great get it out there.. for all to see, so nobody else loses out.

Social source share

When we experience seasoned dealers getting £2k for a John & The Wierdest bootleg off a well known long term collector. And a "foremost" dealer charging Carl Willingham £300 for Gwen & Ray bootleg; with the selling point being, when questioned "it's the same as the one in my collection".

Is it ignorance or sharp-practice?

Either way if someone else has got the info at their fingertips to authenticate Northern Soul vinyl, great get it out there.. for all to see, so nobody else loses out.

Thats what the forum is for, to help people by sharing information, not to withhold it, put it in a book and sell it to people, surely.

Social source share

• 12 years later...
On 20/07/2007 at 08:02, Guest said:

ORIGINAL gloss label

ORIGINAL matt label

ORIGINAL

3. White Promo

Thanks thought mine matt was a boot was going in the bin 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!