Does It Still Happen ?

Dylan

the vauguards discussion in the prices thread got me thinking about this.

are there any 45s that are currently in demand and selling for a few hundred quid that were still easy to find for say 30 quid only a couple of years ago ? don't have to be rare tracks but I suppose some of them might be.

I can't think of any of the top of my head but there must be a few. I'm just interested if this still happens.

I simpy buy what I like when I find it at a price I like so it won't change my buying habits.

continental showstoppers "not too young" is about the best example I can offer but I don't think the pricer increase on that is as dramatic as what i'm asking above

i don't mean where people have droped on a 45 well below the market rate at the time just simply what is perceived to be general opinion of prices a couplke of years ago compared to now.

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

2 great records i've only ever known them as both as big ticket items.

I must be looking in the wrong places. and i'm fairly sure I speak to a recent supplier of al-dos to the UK. These cheap copies must have come another route as I never got wind of them.

was it only a handfull ?

Social source share

ace spectrum DSNE is a good example of a record which went for sillyish money given its availability

doug banks IJKOD is one which should only ever have been a tenner yet i paid £80 for it in about 1986 :thumbsup:biggrin.gif

Social source share

2 great records i've only ever known them as both as big ticket items.

I must be looking in the wrong places. and i'm fairly sure I speak to a recent supplier of al-dos to the UK. These cheap copies must have come another route as I never got wind of them.

was it only a handfull ?

Soul Bowl had Mixed Feelings .. and friends do have copies from that source .. Al Dos Band was in Butch's box for £30 . a few years ago . Not really sure on numbers .. Girth says Mixed feelings came into Crazy beat a few years ago too .

ps. Of course if records are unknown semi-known they may come very cheap :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not silly money but Jack Montgomery - Dearly Beloved seems to be a steady riser, as opposed to 'in with a bullet'.

The Tangeers is still selling IMO about 4 or 5 times what other records in decent quantity go for.

Social source share

I did buy a copy of Gregg Stephens "I'm so lucky" Arba for $4 a couple of years ago still waiting for that to become in-demand..... :thumbsup:laugh.gif

nice enough modern sound I didn't like it at first but its catchy.

Jackie Wilson "Because of you" was something I saw go from 20 to 80 when I started collecting. One of the early examples of something that wasn't rare but national demand in the UK seemed to realy push this one. Did buy one for 40 and sell it for 80 but I wouldn't be so confident that these common sounds would be such easy money anymore.

Ace Spectrum as already mentioned did exactly the same.

and I wonder how many people would have flicked staright past al-dos in butch's box at 30. With a 300 tag I bet more people would have given it a look.

Social source share

and I wonder how many people would have flicked staright past al-dos in butch's box at 30. With a 300 tag I bet more people would have given it a look..

Yep I seem to remember him saying it was in his sales box for ages ..

Angela Davis has to be another one ..its all about demand really and crazy hotboxing methods

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Neil Kimble a recent example of a fairly cheap if not widely known or much exposed record that shot up. Went for over $700 not so long back on the bay.

Yeah I did see that one and was suprised. That is one of his I never bothered to pick up and looking back I probably should have.

Social source share

doris troy 'face up to the truth', willie tee 'first taste of hurt' where the unrare (green) issue is as expensive as the rarer (blue?) issue was, chosen few 'birth of a playboy' was a constant £10 til a few years back, and most ludicrous of all dottie and millie on topper that was £8 and everywhere and people are now paying hundreds of pounds for!

these records are just not rare at all.

cheers Paul

Social source share

Barbara St Clair has shot up , from 2 years ago .. mellow.gif

what is this called ? I think I might have oen that will be appeaing in the sales section. Label damaged quite bad but clean vinyl.

would make a perfect DJ copy and a good bit chepaer than a M- copy. :thumbsup:

Social source share

what is this called ? I think I might have oen that will be appeaing in the sales section. Label damaged quite bad but clean vinyl.

would make a perfect DJ copy and a good bit chepaer than a M- copy. :thumbsup:

Teacherman and t'other side escapes me at moment....on Cross Eyed Bear. Saw one not so long ago for £500 I think.

Social source share

Lenny Williams - I Couldn't Find Nobody - Fantasy

Paid about £50 for mine a couple of years ago (maybe three), last one auctioned by John Manship fetched sommat like £300... he's got another up for auction right now.

Funny thing is I read about it in Shades of Soul where Bob Hinsley reviewed it, maybe a year or so later, maybe 3 years ago, I look around and buy two copies blind for £8 each off a major UK dealer's website (where they had been unsold for years apparently). Had it for a while, played it out a couple of times but eventually thought "nah.., it pounds along OK but it really isn't good enough, can't really get along with his voice...", tried to sell it and eventually got £60, after trying hard to get rid of it! The second copy I traded away for maybe £70. Maybe 6 months later I look in an english friend's DJ box and pull out Lenny Williams and it had £175 on the sleeve, "Really? £175? For this?!" and get the reply "oh yes, it is going for that and more, it is going big around blablabla...". Doh..., I guess, even if I still don't regret selling it, musically so to say. This has happened to me with many other records over the years. You read about something or hear it somewhere, pick it up cheap, play it a couple of times and then "nahh...", you try hard for a long time to get rid of it, you eventually do get rid of it, and soon after everyone and his dog seems to want it. Shame I never was and probably never will be a hoarder. :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Neil Kimble a recent example of a fairly cheap if not widely known or much exposed record that shot up. Went for over $700 not so long back on the bay.

Which Neal Kimble? There was one that went high a couple of times simply because there was a typo in a price guide that had one, or even two(?), zeros too many on the price! It was listed for 1500 when it should have been 150, or maybe even 15... Apart from that there are no really expensive ones by him are there? A few rare(ish) and good ones, but they are deep and not that expensive when they do show up.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Which Neal Kimble? There was one that went high a couple of times simply because there was a typo in a price guide that had one, or even two(?), zeros too many on the price! It was listed for 1500 when it should have been 150, or maybe even 15... Apart from that there are no really expensive ones by him are there? A few rare(ish) and good ones, but they are deep and not that expensive when they do show up.

If It Wasn't For The Children. I did say it was cheap but it has fetched well into the $100's two or three times on ebay, $710 dollars the highest I saw it go for. I've seen it sell for well over a £100 as well several times.

Social source share

Al Mason on Fynal Vynal has gone up dramatically in only a few years. Do you remember when Brown Sugar on Capitol went crazy a few years back?! It went from cheap to as much as £600 in a short period of time, and now it seems to be down under £100 again...

Social source share

If It Wasn't For The Children. I did say it was cheap but it has fetched well into the $100's two or three times on ebay, $710 dollars the highest I saw it go for. I've seen it sell for well over a £100 as well several times.

But wasn't the reason it went into the $100's and even got noticed in the first place due entirely to the price guide typo a few years back? Is it not all due to a mistake? Would anyone have bothered with it otherwise? :thumbsup: I remember the slight hysteria and excitement after the price guide came out since a few people had the record in their sales or junk or "general soul" boxes and were very excited to suddenly find out they had a 1500 record gathering dust! huh.gif:hypo:

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I am a bit of a Neal/Bobby Kimble fan, but the price on this particular record went up simply because of a typo I believe, and due to the 'new price' the record got a bit of attention as an 'expensive rarity'.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

But wasn't the reason it went into the $100's and even got noticed in the first place due entirely to the price guide typo a few years back? Is it not all due to a mistake? Would anyone have bothered with it otherwise? :thumbsup: I remember the slight hysteria and excitement after the price guide came out since a few people had the record in their sales or junk or "general soul" boxes and were very excited to suddenly find out they had a 1500 record gathering dust! huh.gif:hypo:

Which guide was it listed at £1500? it's not 2 or 4 of JM's guides? Can someone check guides 1 and 3? I bothered with it as I was spinning this out unaware of the typo and know a few who then picked up on it, one top dj paying a bit on ebay for it too.

Social source share

Which guide was it listed at £1500? it's not 2 or 4 of JM's guides? Can someone check guides 1 and 3? I bothered with it as I was spinning this out unaware of the typo and know a few who then picked up on it, one top dj paying a bit on ebay for it too.

I don't have any of the guides but I think this was the record and I clearly remember the excitement the new and very high price caused a few years back.

Social source share

doh !!

I don't have that Barbara St Clair its a 45 by Sylvia St Clair that I have just checked in my notes.

Shep "Fool to fool / i'm sitting in" went from 10 to 50 or more very qucikly. Sold mine for 20 before it realy got to its peak. I never could imagine it getting any higher than 20 then almost immediately it did.

"I have seniority" is my fave Bobby / Neal Kimble I rate it highly in terms of quality and paid good money for it but I have seen a couple on ebay since go for what I thought was a steal. But it doesn't come up to often. There is one now but start price is probably a bit high but i'll no doubt watch it just for curiosity.

The JAB one is also great.

Cookie Scott jumped up as well in recent years but its not a 45 I like at all. All high pitched poor poor production and singing isn't great either. Just doesn't do it for me at all.

Social source share

Willie Hightower on Capitol. I bought a few copies for $10 each, sold them for £15, and they didn't exactly fly out the door, a few months later it peaked at over £300. Doh! :thumbup:

Social source share

it is quite a crazy game. Sometime the 45s I vaue highly and pay the so called going rate as I don't see one for ages and finally buy one that gets listed.

Then almost straight away I see another copy sell for a lot less.

The total opposite to what I started the thread abiut but it just shows that you just can't predict what is going to happen.

I had a sales tape with that Willie Hightower for 10 quid and didn't buy it as I though yeah its OK but its a major label thing i'll pivk it up some other time.

Within 6 months people were seling it for 80 to 100 quid.

But for me its his fame sides that I wanted and baught all for less than $10 each. I still think i've got the better records despite them having no sale value to speak of.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!