Wilson Pickett - Baby Don't You Weep On 45

Soulie78

I was going to put that on ebay, but I decided to offer it firstly to the soul sourcers.

So if someone is interested in this 45, just PM me an offer, as I'm not quite sure what to take @ set sale.

I just know, that Carl Willingham paid about $120 last year to a friend of mine for it, but it was without a picture sleeve.

Wilson Pickett - If you need me / Baby don't you weep - Liberty (Germany)

Condition: Vinyl VG+ / Picturecover VG

Listen to it @www.soulclub.org (There it's called "Baby don't weep for me")

post-1905-1107885677_thumb.jpg

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 30
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I was going to put that on ebay, but I decided to offer it firstly to the soul sourcers.

So if someone is interested in this 45, just PM me an offer, as I'm not quite sure what to take @ set sale.

I just know, that Carl Willingham paid about $120 last year to a friend of mine for it, but it was without a picture sleeve.

Wilson Pickett - If you need me / Baby don't you weep - Liberty (Germany)

Condition: Vinyl VG+ / Picturecover VG

Listen to it @www.soulclub.org (There it's called "Baby don't weep for me")

link

DID THIS 45 GET A US RELEASE. I BOUGHT A WILSON PICKET LP ON UK DJM WHICH SAID IT DID GET A US RELEASE ON DOUBLE L BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE.

Social source share

Wilson Pickett is definitely NOT the same version as Fred Bridges. It is the same song but two different versions, different approach, backing track, and so on. I have yet to hear the Luther Ingram version Ady has been spinning so can't comment on that, but I think Wilson Pickett is far superior to the Fred Bridges version on Versatile. The Portugese 7" is an EP and as such I presume that the sound is not as good and loud as on a regular 45, not that I have ever listened to the German 45, but if I was after this track that would be the one I would try to get.

Social source share

but I think Wilson Pickett is far superior to the Fred Bridges version on Versatile. The Portugese 7" is an EP and as such I presume that the sound is not as good and loud as on a regular 45, not that I have ever listened to the German 45, but if I was after this track that would be the one I would try to get.

link

Gotta disagree Christian...Fred Bridges is by far the better version, and in my opinion, the best of the bunch, though all 3 version are great tunes in their own right.

:shades:

Mace

Social source share

Gotta disagree Christian...Fred Bridges is by far the better version, and in my opinion, the best of the bunch, though all 3 version are great tunes in their own right.

:shades:

Mace

link

I agree, Fred Bridges isIMO the best although I do like the Wilson Pickett one. I think The Fred Bridges one is a tad to fast for me to dance to though.

Social source share

I agree, Fred Bridges isIMO the best although I do like the Wilson Pickett one. I think The Fred Bridges one is a tad to fast for me to dance to though.

link

It is a tad to fast to dance to...maybe worth tweaking it down a touch on the pitch control...I'll have to give it a go and see what it sounds like.

Expecting loadsa negative vibes about fiddling with the pitch control now....

No Mason..you mustn't adjust the speed of the original recording...it's not the done thing....

Seem to remember Rob Messer telling me years ago that he used to tweak the speed up slightly on both decks when he was DJing so he could squeeze in an extra record in his hour set!

:D

Good old Rob...I'll have to post up his infamous 'tube train bishop bashing escapade' story on here one day...

Absolute pisser... :shades:

Mace.

Social source share

I have yet to hear the Luther Ingram version Ady has been spinning so can't comment on that

link

I heard it when Adey was deejaying in Dresden last year and it is nerly exactly the same version except for the chorus line "Babay don` t you weep" which is on his version repeated in a different, faster (?) way, alwmost "stumbled". At a guess it is taken off a master done for the single release on Versatile ?

Great tune and first played in Germany nearly fifteen years ago now. Also quite rare as a German 7".

Marc

Social source share

How spooky is this......went to Asda in Farnworth last weekend...in the £1.99 cd bin was a cd by Wilson Pickett called If You Need Me on the Crown Collection Label.

First track is "Baby Don't Weep No More For Me, (Bridges/Smith) listed as the authors.

This is the best track on the cd

other tracks are:-

Down to my last heartache

I can't stop.

Baby call on me.

If you need me.

Peace Breaker.

R.B. special

I'm gonn alove you

I'll never be the same

Give me your lovin right now.

All RnB flavor tracks but what do you want for £1.99 :shades:

Peter

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Been playing that tune for a long long time....Its fu""ing great...No release on US..

link

Which version do you prefer Steve the Luther Blissett or Wilson Pickett ?

Social source share

No, I have seen more than two copies of Fred Bridges for sale in the last year, maye you are thinking of Luther Ingram? I think that is an unissued track though.

Social source share

Am I right in thinking that there are only two copies of the Fred Bridges version? well to date.

link

I know Carl Willingham has one, and he sold me his spare copy, and Des Parker just got one from the States....got robbed of a full $60 for his!

One went on ebay about a year or so ago, so there's 4 I know of at least.

Should imagine quite a few more floating about, probably a good few in Belgium.

I think Wilson Picket is more common in comparison, and as Luther Ingram is an unreleased track it is by far the rarest version...but does that count for something you can't get on a proper release format?????

Mace

Social source share

I know Carl Willingham has one, and he sold me his spare copy, and Des Parker just got one from the States....got robbed of a full $60 for his!

I think Wilson Picket is more common in comparison, and as Luther Ingram is an unreleased track it is by far the rarest version...but does that count for something you can't get on a proper release format?????

Mace

link

just got wilson pickett on ala records,out of LA,pink same the j robbins track on ala,anybody els seen these?.yours backdoor-ken 100club.

Social source share

Mace

link

I think there were some more Fred Bridges on ebay over the last months. I've seen at least 2 by a seller called sixtiessoul.

PS: If there are nomore offers till tomorrow evening, I'll put the 45 up on ebay.

Martin

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

Both my brother in law and myself have one in our collections and I have seen at least 3 for sale in the last year so although fairly tough there are definitely a few about.

Social source share

I think there were some more Fred Bridges on ebay over the last months. I've seen at least 2 by a seller called sixtiessoul.

Martin

link

If I followed that close enough it was always the same copy as no bidders were on it. Beside my own copy I do know of three more copies...sure this number has to be doubled at leeeeeast.

Marc

Social source share

If I followed that close enough it was always the same copy as no bidders were on it. Beside my own copy I do know of three more copies...sure this number has to be doubled at leeeeeast.

Marc

link

Yes, you're probably right Marc.

But he also had in his item description something like "my last copy, sold the others to big name DJs".

If I remember that right.

Social source share

How spooky is this......went  to Asda in Farnworth last weekend...in the £1.99 cd bin was a cd by Wilson Pickett called If You Need Me on the Crown Collection Label.

First track is "Baby Don't Weep No More For Me, (Bridges/Smith) listed as the authors.

This is the best track on the cd

other tracks are:-

Down to my last heartache

I can't stop.

Baby call on me.

If you need me.

Peace Breaker.

R.B. special

I'm gonn alove you

I'll never be the same

Give me your lovin right now.

All RnB flavor tracks but what do you want for £1.99 :D

Peter

link

Gpoing by the tracks it is featuring only Double L licensed tunes which also explains the R&B feel to them. Story behind the German 7" btw is that Liberty Records who were having the rights on the Double L catalogue wanted to have their piece of the success Pickett had over here with hios "1000 Dances". So the yreleased "If You Need Me" with "Baby Don`t You Weep" as the flipside late Sixties while his other stuff was seen to be released thru German Atlantic.

Marc

Social source share

:D Never. Surely a pressing ??? Or a printing error  :D ?

Marc

PS

:good: Hi there Kenny !

link

looks rite enough!but what would i know only been for around 25-30years.your backdoor-ken

Social source share

Had been looking for the baby don't you weep for a while on the net but was always searching under baby side when i read above post searched under if you need  me side and hey presto got one for 5 euros inc pic sleeve bargain.

link

It took me a little longer to find a second copy, even as I'm living in Germany.

I would say yes, you got a bargain there :wicked:

Social source share

It's also on the UK LP 'Wilson Pickett - Great Wilson Pickett Hits' on Marble Arch from the sixties. One of those mid price compilation LP's that despite the title do not have any notable hits on, but are made up of earlier material I assume as an attempt to cash on the success of the Atlantic sides.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!