NEV

• Replies 94
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There's two yellow ones, a Trans American and one that just says Trans, someone was saying that these Trans ones are official reissues, at the end of the day - who cares, neither yellow ones are originals so they are still bootlegs or reissues!

Social source share

There's two yellow ones, a Trans American and one that just says Trans, someone was saying that these Trans ones are official reissues, at the end of the day - who cares, neither yellow ones are originals so they are still bootlegs or reissues!

not according to john manship who has a yellow one on his website at the moment for £75, havnt got a copy of his bootleg guide to hand but it lists the differences between propper yellow ones & counterfeit copys in there

Social source share

not according to john manship who has a yellow one on his website at the moment for £75, havnt got a copy of his bootleg guide to hand but it lists the differences between propper yellow ones & counterfeit copys in there

Yeah he's right, I forgot there was a yellow original as well! Must be rarer than the orange.

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Nev

Paul Mooney knows the ins and outs of this track as he owns the publishing on it and is in contact with Bob Relf who apparantley is in quite a bad way health wise.I am sure he knows the definative answers.

Adam

Social source share

Nev

Paul Mooney knows the ins and outs of this track as he owns the publishing on it and is in contact with Bob Relf who apparantley is in quite a bad way health wise.I am sure he knows the definative answers.

Adam

My yellow 'Trans' copy has an official stamp in the run out grooves.....

Social source share

HI AGAIN

I WAS ALWAYS LED TO BELIEVE THE YELLOW COPIES WERE BOOT ,IS THIS THE CASE OR GENUINE 2ND ISSUE?

THANKS

NEV :thumbup:

SO FAR ,I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THE YELLOW "TRANS RECORDS" ARE RE-ISSUES

YELLOW "TRANS AMERICAN" 2ND PRESS ORIGINALS

ORANGE"TRANS AMERICAN" IST PRESS ORIGINALS(RAREST)

WHILST ON THE SUBJECT I DO THINK THE WORD "BOOT" IS OFTEN REFERRED TO RE-ISSUES,WHEN TECHNICALLY THEY ARE ACTUALLY LEGAL RE-ISSUES .

ACCORDING TO JM'S WEB INFO :-Original Label logo reads TRANS AMERICAN not just TRANS RECORDS, this copy is a1973 repress from the company using the original master stamping plate.Great sound quality

NOW THAT WEVE SORT OF ESTABLISHED ,CLARIFIED AS BEST WE CAN,ANYONE GOT A TRANS AMERICAN FOR SALE PLEASE?

NEV :thumbup:

Social source share

Here's a strange thing. When I first started going out to LA i'd mentioned (prior to leaving these shores) some local titles to collectors out there that I had in small quantity, the 'orange' Bob Relf being one of them. Interesting, they'd never seen them before. All the copies I took out there were grabbed off me within days of landing. It's strange, but the only label colour that had been seen was the odd trashed yellow one.

So did someone go out there & grab all the orange stock in one hit in the early days?

If you look on popsike they all, apart from one copy, come from the U.K.

Or is in fact the 'orange' the second press that was pressed for the U.K. market ?

I honestly dont know, but it does look like all the orange ones came over in one lot. So who brought them over ? Perhaps they will tell us ?

Just a thought.

pottsy

Social source share

Also, I find it strange that the 2 numbers prior to Bob Relf's no TA-0010 are yellow labels.

Village Crusaders - TA-0008 yellow label

Aki Aleong - TA-0009 yellow label

I know, lets make TA-0010 an orange label, then re-press it on yellow. Cant see them doing that somehow, can you ?

Social source share

Also, I find it strange that the 2 numbers prior to Bob Relf's no TA-0010 are yellow labels.

Village Crusaders - TA-0008 yellow label

Aki Aleong - TA-0009 yellow label

I know, lets make TA-0010 an orange label, then re-press it on yellow. Cant see them doing that somehow, can you ?

Pressing plant worker: "Boss, we've just got an order in for a record on Trans American - only we're running out of Canary Yellow paper for the labels"

Pressing plant boss: "Print half of em on Pumpkin Yellow, no ones gonna care that the labels a different shade - afterall judging on previous sales they'll sell diddly squat any way"

Social source share

Could someone post up a close up scan of the Aki Aleong, please. Would be interested to see the telephone number on the label, I was just wondering if it's the same as the next number, Bob Relf on the yellow label ?

Here's a picture or 2 of the yellow label copy, with the stamp in the dead wax that looks like 2 ovals with a 'V' coming from a dot in the centre.

post-2021-1185029503_thumb.jpg

post-2021-1185029800_thumb.jpg

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

After going through both threads it still seems very unclear. Which is the true first release US original? There is the orange label with machine 'antenna' stamps and there is supposedly also a rarer yellow label original, or is that not original after all? :thumbup::thumbup: Is there an orange label bootleg?

Social source share

As for the Trans one supposedly being a legit reissue, why would they change the label name? It wouldn't be the first time the original plates have been used to make a boot/counterfeit, the Capitol boots, Jerry Cook etc spring to mind.

The only ones I'd ever trust are the yellow and orange with the matrix stramp. Owt else is a counterfeit/boot/pressing/re-issue or whatever term you wish to use IMHO and should be treated as such and sold as such.

Social source share

If the telephone number on this Aki Aleong is 213-384-9334, & I cant bloody read it, then it points towards the Yellow Trans-American release of Bob Relf, with the 'stamp' in the dead wax as a first issue. Or even if the tel. number isn't the same, it would seem most likely the pressing plant would carry on using the same paper before swapping to another colour.

The tel. no changed on the orange one, its 213-389-9938

post-2021-1185037680.jpg

Social source share

Hello,

There was a yellow issue on 'Trans' which was a legitimate repress, using the original stampers. It was pressed at Rainbo in Los Angeles in the early '70s.

The reason the label name / design was slightly different may have been that the original films/ plates weren't available. These things happen.

I seem to recall a bootleg version from around 1974 on which all copies had a 'skip' after the spoken section. In fact, an early Goldmine CD used the version which skipped!

Paul Mooney

Social source share

The reason the label name / design was slightly different may have been that the original films/ plates weren't available. These things happen.

Paul Mooney

Were they done by the original owner of the Trans American label or by someone in possesion of the original plates? I still find it odd they changed the name? I'm gonna need some more convincing that they are 100% legitimate,

Social source share

Hello,

There was a yellow issue on 'Trans' which was a legitimate repress, using the original stampers. It was pressed at Rainbo in Los Angeles in the early '70s.

Paul Mooney

Hello Paul,

Are you 100% sure about this? No chance it was an orange issue on Trans-American that was a legitimate repress?

They wouldn't have changed the label name to 'Trans' if it was legit.

Regards,

pottsy

Social source share

Hello Paul,

Are you 100% sure about this? No chance it was an orange issue on Trans-American that was a legitimate repress?

Regards,

pottsy

ive got the yellow one that pottsy posted scans of, just been down to mates house to compare it with his orange one..stamps in deadwax are exactly the same, vinyl is identical i.e. same thickness, appearance, in fact they are identical in every way apart from the colour of the label....wheres john manship when we need him

Social source share

ive got the yellow one that pottsy posted scans of, just been down to mates house to compare it with his orange one..stamps in deadwax are exactly the same, vinyl is identical i.e. same thickness, appearance, in fact they are identical in every way apart from the colour of the label....wheres john manship when we need him

personally think it's as already said, simple case of using whatever label colour they had at the time of print run.

Social source share

Hello,

All I know is that some yellow 'Trans' copies were pressed at the same plant (Rainbo) in the early 1970s using the same stampers which had been used back in 1968.

And Bob Relf told me that Aki Aleong had pressed more copies up in the early 1970s to satisfy overseas demand. He remembered this because he had just been over here on tour with Earl Nelson.

I've no idea why the label name and logo were modified. There could be many simple reasons - and at least it suggests that they weren't trying to emulate the original issue.

Bob doesn't speak very highly of Aki Aleong and he was annoyed that his song was credited to "Lou Baretto" at the time.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello Paul,

Regards,

pottsy

Potsy,

TRANS AMERICAN 0010 original orange or yellow label .. We assume Yellow was the first run because it matches earlier releases on the label. The ORIGINAL has both Orange or Yellow labels, a DRUM with 2 DRUMSTICKS design matrix stamp in the deadwax.

TRANS RECORDS 0010 this is a 1973 repress using the original master stamping plate. Great sound quality and legit.

TRANS AMERICAN 0010 Counterfiet on Yellow design label, deadwax is 17.5 cm WITH TA - 0010 - B scratched into the 4 turn wide deadwax. There is no DRUM with 2 DRUMSTICKS stamp in the deadwax.

Social source share

Potsy,

TRANS AMERICAN 0010 original orange or yellow label .. We assume Yellow was the first run because it matches earlier releases on the label. The ORIGINAL has both Orange or Yellow labels, a DRUM with 2 DRUMSTICKS design matrix stamp in the deadwax.

TRANS RECORDS 0010 this is a 1973 repress using the original master stamping plate. Great sound quality and legit.

TRANS AMERICAN 0010 Counterfiet on Yellow design label, deadwax is 17.5 cm WITH TA - 0010 - B scratched into the 4 turn wide deadwax. There is no DRUM with 2 DRUMSTICKS stamp in the deadwax.

John,

From the facts it looks like the yellow label Trans-American (with stamp in dead wax) is the first press. The Orange one is the second press. Its not 'exactly' the same label, because by the time this was pressed they had changed their telephone number.

You & Paul seem very definite about this 1973 re-press, as a matter of interest, did you get them done?

Social source share

John,

From the facts it looks like the yellow label Trans-American (with stamp in dead wax) is the first press. The Orange one is the second press. Its not 'exactly' the same label, because by the time this was pressed they had changed their telephone number.

You & Paul seem very definite about this 1973 re-press, as a matter of interest, did you get them done?

:thumbup::lol::lol::lol::D

Social source share

Hello,

All I know is that some yellow 'Trans' copies were pressed at the same plant (Rainbo) in the early 1970s using the same stampers which had been used back in 1968.

Paul Mooney

Hello Paul,

Would you mind me asking you how you know this, please.

Regards,

pottsy

Social source share

Hello Paul,

Regards,

pottsy

Also I honestly don't remember seeing the Trans pressings around in the mid 70's plus why would they press it in the early 70's when it didn't reach it's huge popularity til 1974?

Social source share

Also I honestly don't remember seeing the Trans pressings around in the mid 70's plus why would they press it in the early 70's when it didn't reach it's huge popularity til 1974?

I think you've got your years a bit wrong Pete. It was played 72-73, and pressed in 73 on the yellow Trans Logo. By 74 it was just an oldie. I remember talking to Richard on the way to an early Wigan session, it must have been 74 and he was very enthusiastic about the new version & instrumental. Which turned out to be the "Bob Relf" and Paula Rousell atrosities done by simple simon.

Paul

Social source share

I think you've got your years a bit wrong Pete. It was played 72-73, and pressed in 73 on the yellow Trans Logo. By 74 it was just an oldie. I remember talking to Richard on the way to an early Wigan session, it must have been 74 and he was very enthusiastic about the new version & instrumental. Which turned out to be the "Bob Relf" and Paula Rousell atrosities done by simple simon.

Paul

So I'm a year out :yes:

Social source share

The Yellow ones could have been the demos. Yellow was popular for demo labels at the time.

My Trans American is Yellow and has all the same marks as the orange one (did not notice any other difference) The Matrix mark is the same and the sound quality is exceptional.

Dunc

Social source share

Paul

Wonder when the yellow boots came out then?

Social source share

The Yellow ones could have been the demos. Yellow was popular for demo labels at the time.

My Trans American is Yellow and has all the same marks as the orange one (did not notice any other difference) The Matrix mark is the same and the sound quality is exceptional.

Dunc

Yellow ones are NOT DEMOS, white is the coloured for the DEMOs on the label ref. the earlier releases: example SAM and the SOUL WALKERS on 0107 is a white promo. But I've never seen a Bob Relf white promo. Probably doesn't exist.

Yellow was the first RUN with orange the later RUN date unknown. But probably very close or even in 1968.

Yellow is far rarer. I have found both colours all over the USA so it was distributed well with the yellow being maybe 1 to 20 in ratio rarity.

No I didn't have the 1973 repress done, I think that may have been prompted by Simon S once the record started to go big circa 1973.

Incidently, the first copy was alledgedly played by at the Torch after being discovered in the UK, can't remember who the DJ (maybe someone else can add that info) was handed to him for play by one of the UK southern based guys..(again forgot who) the DJ took it off the decks when the "slow down" piece in the middle began, would you believe. That info was passed to me by Steve Frost.. so maybe someone else can tell the full story.

Social source share

...You & Paul seem very definite about this 1973 re-press, as a matter of interest, did you get them done?

Hello Mr Potts,

I was still at school in 1973 but I can't speak for Mr Manship, he might be a lot older than me.

:thumbup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello Paul,

Would you mind me asking you how you know this, please.

Regards,

pottsy

Hello,

I know this because I have a yellow trans copy made with original stampers, I bought it around 1974 and Bob Relf later confirmed that Aki (pronounced Ah-kee) had pressed it again in the early '70s due to overseas demand.

But I do recall another 'Trans' issue that was poor quality and probably wasn't authentic.

We (Millbrand Music) obtained the publishing rights to both songs in 2004 and we also control the masters. We have issued licenses to Demon, Sanctuary, MCI, Grapevine etc.

We don't have access to any plates, stampers or paperwork regarding pressings etc. but we have the original tapes and I can confirm it was recorded at Ray Charles' studio (RPM International) in Los Angeles, 1968.

Sadly, Bob Relf is in poor health and is unable to remember very much these days.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

just out of interest, what year was it released on black magic ?

Seletadisc issued a version of "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" on Black Magic BM 101 in 1975, licensed from Simon Soussan, but that "Bob Relf" was just an unknown impostor, as was the "Lorraine Chandler" who had "Love You Baby" issued on Black Magic.

Coincidentally, Lorraine is also a Millbrand client and we control 50% of "Love You Baby", so maybe it's time we got one of our clients to impersonate Simon Soussan???

:thumbup:

Paul Mooney

P.S. Soussan also issued an intrumental version of "Blowing My Mind To Pieces" on Soul Galore in 1975.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!