s7oul

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest uroffal

Was this record ever booted. For an average tune why is it listed for 3 figures ?

Cheers

Pat

Never booted. It might be listed high, but you'd struggle to get anywhere near it's 'book price' - I had a copy a few year's back that went for around £100 on Ebay.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Had a handful of copies of this 45 - if memory serves me right they came from a certain street stall in Soho in the mid 70's - think I still have one left ....somewhere

Other record that was real easy to find at the same time was the Andy Aaron and Bonnie Blanchard 45 on CRS

Quid each - tops !

Happy days :thumbsup:

John

Never booted. It might be listed high, but you'd struggle to get anywhere near it's 'book price' - I had a copy a few year's back that went for around £100 on Ebay.
Social source share

Guest uroffal

Had a handful of copies of this 45 - if memory serves me right they came from a certain street stall in Soho in the mid 70's - think I still have one left ....somewhere

Other record that was real easy to find at the same time was the Andy Aaron and Bonnie Blanchard 45 on CRS

Quid each - tops !

Happy days :thumbsup:

John

Was it the Rupert Street market stall? I used frequent that stall regularly and I'm sure I remember copies there regularly even in the early '80s (along with multiples of Barbara Lynn 'Thanks I get' and TSU Toronados 'What Good ...') In fact the copy I sold a couple of years ago I'd had off a UK seller (not 'northern' dealer)

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Yep - that's the one - Rupert Street

My memory aint what it used to be, but I can remember buying stuff off a guy with a flat near the BBC Studio who was travelling regularly to the USA record hunting, but cant for the life of me remember if it was the same guy who ran the market stall. There was definitely a connection there. Lots of boxes of that Summit record on Pouland

Social source share

Guest uroffal

My memory aint what it used to be, but I can remember buying stuff off a guy with a flat near the BBC Studio who was travelling regularly to the USA record hunting, but cant for the life of me remember if it was the same guy who ran the market stall. There was definitely a connection there. Lots of boxes of that Summit record on Pouland

I think he owned the stall and a record store along Rupert St (mainly selling LPs). There was a younger guy who used to work the stall (in the '80s anyway) and was a friend of ours - can't for the life of me remember his name now though. Think Ady or Mark Taylor would remember as we were all regular visitors.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Certainly remember there being an LP/used record shop adjacent to where the stall was so its deffo the same place - always a good place to pick up a few records !

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Certainly remember there being an LP/used record shop adjacent to where the stall was so its deffo the same place - always a good place to pick up a few records !

Think there were two nearby at one time a small one with two floors and larger shop on the corner. Used to get a lot of the - then - modern things off the stall too all at about 50p each things like Marc Sadane, Bobby Womack 'So many sides', Dells 'Your Song' - like you say happy days :thumbup:

Social source share

Got:

Summitt - 'Farewell (I'm Leaving)' (Pouland)

Donald Height - 'Rags To Riches To Rags' (Honey)

Huns Review - 'Don't Make Me Love You' (Sorro)

all for 10p each in the late eighties from a used record dealer in Wisbech, cambs.

(must have been a 'yellow label blow-out' day!!!!).

Social source share

"Was this record ever booted. For an average tune why is it listed for 3 figures ?"

should be booted out of the window.....

there was a copy in a record shop in Berwick Street by the market for over a ton I think. May still be there for the interested.

Social source share

Yeah got mine from there, it was the stall outside Cheapo Cheapos, & at various times was "run" for Cheapos by a very young bunch of chappies, Ady Croasdell, Tony Rounce & Ian Clarke. Wonder what happened to 'em :ohmy:

Great place for picking up boots :ohmy: (I was almost young) & cheap originals. Oh happy days, young & fairly innocent :rolleyes:

Social source share

What's the point of saying you bought this 25 years ago for 10p and that there were boxes of it about, it's todays price you need to worry about it books for £200 which maybe a little high, as people don't rate it, but it's a lot cheaper than a lot of other records which you can find a lot easier. Unless you buy it today or next week for 10p let's keep the discussion at todays prices.

Social source share

That'd be me squire, I worked for the chaps who ran it and learned my dealing trade there. The US trips were for myself, I still live near the Beeb.

Most famous find on there was a 25 box of Jimmy Thomas' The Beautiful Night' when it was massive and there were only one or two known copies.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!