Little Willie John 'i'm Shakin'

Guest lotusland

Guest lotusland

need a good playout copy, doesnt need to be mint (but thats ok too)

paypal waiting

tnoble777@yahoo.com

or PM

thanks

andy

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest lotusland

Which one?

The one with or without the Jazz cymbals?

didnt know there was 2 versions. is one shit? or is it a subtle difference?

the one on the soulclub site sounds good to me

a/

Social source share

didnt know there was 2 versions. is one shit? or is it a subtle difference?

the one on the soulclub site sounds good to me

a/

The one with Person To Person on the flip as opposed to Cottage For Sale is the better version IMO as it has what Pikey refers to the jazz cymbals when Willie sings 'alone'. Soul Club has the other one.

Social source share

The one with Person To Person on the flip as opposed to Cottage For Sale is the better version IMO as it has what Pikey refers to the jazz cymbals when Willie sings 'alone'. Soul Club has the other one.

Yes, two different versions issued about three years apart:

Little Willie John - I'm Shakin' / Cottage For Sale - KING 5342 (1960)

Little Willie John - I'm Shakin' / Person To Person - KING 5823 (1963)

I agree with the above, the 1963 issue with "Person To Person" on the flip is in my opinion the best one and also the take which was comped on Kent's fabulous "King New Breed R&B" CD.

The two RAs of "I'm Shakin'" on SoulClub are of the KING 5823 version:

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Little_Will...Shakin'.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Little_Will...39;m_Shakin.ram

Here is the earlier 5342 version (the "non jazz cymbals" one):

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/sounds/exists...itle=I_M_SHAKIN_

Superb tune!!! :D

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Really gone off this song myself recently, as its a played a lot, and b no ones dances to it as its very 'stop-starty'. Never understood why b has led to a though! :yes::wicked: I guess being on a kent r'n'b cd has contributed to the awareness of it. last copy went for £70 odd pounds I think.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

don't think i'd ever heard that later version. besides the cymbal, it has extra drum fills all over the place and that simple rhythm guitar stroke....i'm not convinced it's better!

people dance their asses off to the other version at my night and start whooping and hollering as soon as it starts, but this is the u.s.....

Edited by weingarden
Social source share

Guest GoodTaste

i had "i'm shakin'" on the Delta label, maybe a canadian press (?) can't remember which version was. I sold it about a year ago, not my cup of tea. :yes: good R&B anyway

Social source share

Guest GoodTaste

hey, GoodTaste...not too many copies of that record in your avatar floating around, are there....

hi Matt, how many? I picked up a copy recently, love both sides, no idea about rarity/value

Social source share

don't think i'd ever heard that later version. besides the cymbal, it has extra drum fills all over the place and that simple rhythm guitar stroke....i'm not convinced it's better!

people dance their asses off to the other version at my night and start whooping and hollering as soon as it starts, but this is the u.s.....

yeah, still works really well with non-mod crowds, normally get people asking what it is. prefer the earlier version too, and that's the version on my copy of the Ace CD anyway!

edit - just checked, and Sebastian's right, it is the later version on the CD, but the booklet has the number of the earlier one...!

Edited by bongolia
Social source share

• 11 years later...