Stoke Allnighter

Guest soul city

Guest soul city

very busy night, main room much the same as always (overplayed oldies, but if thats your thing who am i to comment)

modern room good but why did it have to shut at 4.am!!!! thmbdn.gif

Edited by soul city
  • Replies 39
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Over 35 years of oldies, and still, we had to have some of them twice in one night :wub:

Have to agree there Jo - even Gemma ( one of our regulars and only 21 ) made that comment - whats she gonna be like in 10 years time ! :D

Heard you were there from Sean early on and meant to try and find you and Tony to say hello, - still enjoyed the atmosphere and catching up with mates from all over the place - which is what Stoke is great for smile.gif

Was it me or did it seem even busier that normal in that main room ? :wub:

cheers

Wulfie

Edited by Wulfie09

Over 35 years of oldies, and still, we had to have some of them twice in one night :wub:

I'd be gutted if the only memorable part of a nighter for me was recalling tunes that got repeated.

The place was packed, the dance floor was rammed all night , the atmosphere was blinding. ....IMOP it was a pukka night, regardless of some DJ's not paying attention and repeating what's been played previously, Many a time I've got to a venue late and begged to hear a certain tune that got played hours before I arrived. Unless you were up on the decks how would you know if this weren't the case with the one's you noticed last night... unsure.gif:wub: ..Stokes a big place a quick visit to the toilets and you'll miss a few records, ain't it the same for the DJ's.. :D

Guest Glawsters Best

MOAN MOAN F**KING MOAN WHY GO OUT AND SPEND YOUR MONEY IF THAT'S ALL YOUR GONNA DO IS MOAN WELL I FOR ONE DID ENJOY THE NIGHT SO WHAT IF A FEW RECORDS GOT PLAYED TWICE IF YOU DO'N'T LIKE IT THEN I THINK YOU SHOULD SPEND YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING ELSE I HAVEN'T BEEN TO STOKE FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS NOT BECAUSE OF OVER PLAYED OLDIES BECAUSE I DON'T DO ALL NIGHTERS ANY MORE YES THERE WERE THINGS PLAYED THAT I WOULD'NT WANT TO HEAR BUT IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD TRY LIVING DOWN HERE WITH ALL THE FLOODS NO WATER AND THEIR SAYING THE POWERS GOING DOWN JUST LIGHTEN UP

BY THE WAY IT GOOD SEEING A FEW PEOPLE THAT' I HAVEN'T SEEN FOR A WHILE YES FOR ME IT WAS A GOOD NIGHT :D

Edited by Glawsters Best

Mick H, played, Primers.How Does It Grab You. One of my FAVOURITE SOUNDS

I dont think that would be played twice :yes:

I think some records where played twice,because people were requesting them.

Kev :wicked:

And yes we all had a good time,

The time just flew by,Ive not seen it that busy for a while.

Kev wink.gif

Have to agree there Jo - even Gemma ( one of our regulars and only 21 ) made that comment - whats she gonna be like in 10 years time ! no.gif

Heard you were there from Sean early on and meant to try and find you and Tony to say hello, - still enjoyed the atmosphere and catching up with mates from all over the place - which is what Stoke is great for :)

Was it me or did it seem even busier that normal in that main room ? :(

cheers

Wulfie

As usual.....Stoke delivered what it says on the box,....good old fashioned Northern soul.....Rob and myself really enjoyed ourselves....Thanks to Dave(Wulfie) and Annie for the lift back to their house and the very hot drinks.....luv my guest room BTW :wicked: ......bit of a shame,we were delayed at Nuneaton for an hour and half on the way back to Northampton :( ....but hey we are back now.....for me...Stoke is a way of seeing those mates.... i really dont get a chance to catch up with...as well as having a Stonking good dance.....and that to me is what it is all about....Yes Dave...it was busier than normal in the main room....but we knew that when you couldnt park at the venue :yes: ......Delxxx

MOAN MOAN F**KING MOAN WHY GO OUT AND SPEND YOUR MONEY IF THAT'S ALL YOUR GONNA DO IS MOAN WELL I FOR ONE DID ENJOY THE NIGHT SO WHAT IF A FEW RECORDS GOT PLAYED TWICE IF YOU DO'N'T LIKE IT THEN I THINK YOU SHOULD SPEND YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING ELSE I HAVEN'T BEEN TO STOKE FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS NOT BECAUSE OF OVER PLAYED OLDIES BECAUSE I DON'T DO ALL NIGHTERS ANY MORE YES THERE WERE THINGS PLAYED THAT I WOULD'NT WANT TO HEAR BUT IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD TRY LIVING DOWN HERE WITH ALL THE FLOODS NO WATER AND THEIR SAYING THE POWERS GOING DOWN JUST LIGHTEN UP

BY THE WAY IT GOOD SEEING FEW PEOPLE THAT' I HAVEN'T SEEN FOR A WHILE YES FOR ME IT WAS A GOOD NIGHT :yes:

NICE ONE LEON, GOOD TO SEE YOU BOTH THERE LAST NIGHT WE ALSO ENJOYED THE NIGHT, WE WILL HAVE TO MEET UP MORE OFTEN, NEARLY FORGOT WE HAVE A LARGE RUBBER DINGY HERE IF YOU NEED IT.................

WAZZ.

Guest Glawsters Best

NICE ONE LEON, GOOD TO SEE YOU BOTH THERE LAST NIGHT WE ALSO ENJOYED THE NIGHT, WE WILL HAVE TO MEET UP MORE OFTEN, NEARLY FORGOT WE HAVE A LARGE RUBBER DINGY HERE IF YOU NEED IT.................

WAZZ.

I'LL HAVE IT :yes:

As usual.....Stoke delivered what it says on the box,....good old fashioned Northern soul.....Rob and myself really enjoyed ourselves....Thanks to Dave(Wulfie) and Annie for the lift back to their house and the very hot drinks.....luv my guest room BTW :wicked: ......bit of a shame,we were delayed at Nuneaton for an hour and half on the way back to Northampton :( ....but hey we are back now.....for me...Stoke is a way of seeing those mates.... i really dont get a chance to catch up with...as well as having a Stonking good dance.....and that to me is what it is all about....Yes Dave...it was busier than normal in the main room....but we knew that when you couldnt park at the venue :yes: ......Delxxx

Must have been all those extra bods from Northants Del, there were loads! I'm surprised there wasn't a fight! ph34r.gif:) Fantastic atmosphere and great people. Another very enjoyable night at the Kings Hall and I for one still hear plenty of tunes there that I don't know.

Over 35 years of oldies, and still, we had to have some of them twice in one night :wicked:

Yeah agree!! And some even 3 times or infact, Love starved heart - Marvin Gaye 5 times, i mean come on as much as i love that toon, you could easily go off it!! Prestatyn ran for four day,s and not as many repeats as the were at a kings!! :yes:

Edited by martell

Must have been all those extra bods from Northants Del, there were loads! I'm surprised there wasn't a fight! :wicked:laugh.gif Fantastic atmosphere and great people. Another very enjoyable night at the Kings Hall and I for one still hear plenty of tunes there that I don't know.

Hi babes....great to cya there.....oooh yes....wasnt there quite a few of us lot out and about repesenting our good county....i think we did ourselves proud..... :) ....and behaved with ultimate soul decorum...... :(:yes: .....Delxxx

Not A moan, an observation, now comes the moan, :yes:

is it 18 to 20 records each dj get to play in an hour,? not that many over a whole nighter, really is no need to play repeats.

If you don't mind repeats , thats fine, your choice, but I DO :wicked:

Stoke is great for the social side of things, we really enjoy meeting up with freinds from all over the country, but the music ........always been the same. After 'Love starved Heart for the 3rd time, i stayed up in the modern room, really enjoyed in there, Shame it closed early, and no idea why. sad.gif

Must have been all those extra bods from Northants Del, there were loads! I'm surprised there wasn't a fight! :thumbup::P Fantastic atmosphere and great people. Another very enjoyable night at the Kings Hall and I for one still hear plenty of tunes there that I don't know.

Nice to see you again Mark.

Brilliant night at Stoke, enjoyed Matt Tees set at the beginning (I mean Sean Chapman) - he played one of my faves - Vel-Vets I got to find me somebody and it didn't get played 3 times during the night this time! (Unless I missed it whilst in the loo :D )

Nice to see "outonthefloor" again and a few others I'd not see in a while. StevieT - we missed you!

I dunno, we get this after every Stoke...overplayed records, same old same old. I think people should know by now what to expect. Yes you will hear some good music there because you can't expect anything else from the likes of Sam, Mick H and Neil Jones...however how anybody can stand Tell me it's just a rumour more than once a year (not including at any weddings you've been to during that time) is beyond me. Last time I was there a certain dj played the vocal and the instrumental in the same set :thumbup:

Guest clanger v2

I cant fault this night at all. :thumbup:

The dancefloor was packed all night, even if there were a few tunes played more than once, it didn't seem to matter to the vast majority of the people there.

As someone said, you get exactly what it says on the tin at the Kings Hall.

Cant wait for the next one.

Guest jumitja

i had a fantastic night,the music was top and yes it did seem busier than usual.there was times when even tempting to do a spin and you knew you would collide with someone,the only downer and a first at any soul night that ive been to ,was the two dickheads oh i mean security blokes who seem to be on a mission to control or cause a problem .there attitude as they walked across the dance floor and around the hall became quite menacing at times and as i said at the time you dont need thart sort of attitude at a soul do,maybe they were used to doing town pubs and didnt realise how friendly the northern scene is.anyway it was good to see you perdita and all the talc tornados soul crew and im looking forwardto next week at brookfields .kev

Great to see such a great turnout at Stoke on Saturday, especially as so many areas have had the obvious flooding problems. I thought it was as good a night as there has been at the Kings Hall, the atmosphere in the main room was brilliant and the dance floor seemed to be packed all night.

I had the "Last Man Standing" slot, following a top set from Mick H so had the task of attempting to make a mental note of what was played all night whilst maintaining an SDR (Sensible Drinking Rate) of three pints an hour :thumbup: . Fortunately for me there were plenty of folk who had decided to see the night out to the bitter end and thanks to those who came up for requests (sorry for those I couldnt fit in) and especially everyone who forced their weary legs into a few last dances before heading home.

I didn't write down what I played but here's most of them, although they're not in order of play

Flaming Emeralds - Have Some Everybody

Enchantments - I'm In Love With Your Daughter (request)

Turley Richards - I Feel Alright

Forriss Woods - Stoned On Love (request)

Derek Martin(?) - Flashback (request)

Precisions - Such Misery

Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows

Delegates Of Soul - I'll Come Running Back

L'il Major Williams - Girl Don't Leave Me (request)

Kim Weston - I'm Gonna Make It Up To You

Diplomats - Honest To Goodness (request)

Roscoe & Friends - Broadway Sissy

George Smith - I've Had It

I'm sure there were one or two more but they elude me at the moment.

Great night all in all. Looking forward to the next one October 13th.

Neil Jones

Great to see such a great turnout at Stoke on Saturday, especially as so many areas have had the obvious flooding problems. I thought it was as good a night as there has been at the Kings Hall, the atmosphere in the main room was brilliant and the dance floor seemed to be packed all night.

I had the "Last Man Standing" slot, following a top set from Mick H so had the task of attempting to make a mental note of what was played all night whilst maintaining an SDR (Sensible Drinking Rate) of three pints an hour :thumbup: . Fortunately for me there were plenty of folk who had decided to see the night out to the bitter end and thanks to those who came up for requests (sorry for those I couldnt fit in) and especially everyone who forced their weary legs into a few last dances before heading home.

I didn't write down what I played but here's most of them, although they're not in order of play

Flaming Emeralds - Have Some Everybody

Enchantments - I'm In Love With Your Daughter (request)

Turley Richards - I Feel Alright

Forriss Woods - Stoned On Love (request)

Derek Martin(?) - Flashback (request)

Precisions - Such Misery

Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows

Delegates Of Soul - I'll Come Running Back

L'il Major Williams - Girl Don't Leave Me (request)

Kim Weston - I'm Gonna Make It Up To You

Diplomats - Honest To Goodness (request)

Roscoe & Friends - Broadway Sissy

George Smith - I've Had It

I'm sure there were one or two more but they elude me at the moment.

Great night all in all. Looking forward to the next one October 13th.

Neil Jones

Elude you eh??

Well thanx for Hey Joe!! Neil.Not on your list and yes wot was the one you telling me about with a Turley Richards tempo?? New one for me TOOOOOOOOOON !!! think you played near the end

Ps No need for all the neolithics disguised as security doormen bouncers wotever they call themselves.As they are definately not needed,as it does nowt for the atmosphere.

Gr8 spot mate !!!!!!!!!1 Mike

Mike

Elude you eh??

Well thanx for Hey Joe!! Neil.Not on your list and yes wot was the one you telling me about with a Turley Richards tempo?? New one for me TOOOOOOOOOON !!! think you played near the end

Ps No need for all the neolithics disguised as security doormen bouncers wotever they call themselves.As they are definately not needed,as it does nowt for the atmosphere.

Gr8 spot mate !!!!!!!!!1 Mike

Mike

Hiya Mike - you're right, The Kingsmen "Hey Joe" was in there as well. How could I forget?? The other tune you mentioned is Forriss Woods "Stoned On Love". Definately one to shake off the cobwebs at 5:30 am!!!!

Cheers Mike,

Neil

Guest outonthefloor

Nice to see you again Mark.

Brilliant night at Stoke, enjoyed Matt Tees set at the beginning (I mean Sean Chapman) - he played one of my faves - Vel-Vets I got to find me somebody and it didn't get played 3 times during the night this time! (Unless I missed it whilst in the loo :D )

Nice to see "outonthefloor" again and a few others I'd not see in a while. StevieT - we missed you!

Hi there Perdita, Good to see you again too. Shame we couldn't have more of a chat but it was hard above the music and crowds.

Can't believe we missed Seans set but the journey took ages and we had to make a detour to pick up a flood bound mate near Stratford upon Avon. The place was packed to the gills when we arrived and really buzzin. I lost my two mates to the record bar within the first 5 minutes so found some old friends and got out on the floor.

Funny everyone posting about duplications as i commented to a friend that there ern't as many as usual, not that that would have spoilt the night at all.

Ginger was back on form after disappointing me at Whitby and the music was exactly as you'd expect from this top night out.

I agree with the comment about the door staff, I haven't noticed this before but they did do regular 'rounds' of the room during the night looking for people taking illigal substances i think.

At 6.00am there was still a good number of people dancing when the last tune of the night 'George Smith - I've had it' (turntable)was played. BTW my mate has a mint copy (unplayed)for sale if anyones interested!!!

The journey home somewhat overshadowed the night though as i broke down and have only been home now for a few hours having been stranded near Evesham sine 8.00am Sunday morning. Can't post my comments on Green Flag or my Ford garage I'll save that for the legal proceedings!!!

Still an excellent night packed with what seemed to me like happy punters all having a good time. Can't make the next one so New Years Eve here we come.

I saw a few friends across the dance floor that i never made it over to so i apologise if you read this and think i was being ignorant especially Grey XX sorry XX

Helen

XXXX

i had a fantastic night,the music was top and yes it did seem busier than usual.there was times when even tempting to do a spin and you knew you would collide with someone,the only downer and a first at any soul night that ive been to ,was the two dickheads oh i mean security blokes who seem to be on a mission to control or cause a problem .there attitude as they walked across the dance floor and around the hall became quite menacing at times and as i said at the time you dont need thart sort of attitude at a soul do,maybe they were used to doing town pubs and didnt realise how friendly the northern scene is.anyway it was good to see you perdita and all the talc tornados soul crew and im looking forwardto next week at brookfields .kev

hiya kev,

lovely to see you too, really enjoyed the night and your smiles on the dancefloor, yes those security blokes were scary weren't they!

seeya around soon.

perdita

hiya kev,

lovely to see you too, really enjoyed the night and your smiles on the dancefloor, yes those security blokes were scary weren't they!

seeya around soon.

perdita

More than likely the security staff will have been doing the rounds, checking on smokers,plus the most

evil of things ....putting talc on the floor :lol:

Missed going but will be at the next shades.gif

Great journey up, visit great friends, went on to the all-nighter, great venue, great atmosphere, good music, loads of people, made new friends, talked to people from all over the place, bought some new records, came out said good byes, great journey home and just recovered today, WOW.

There are not a lot of people, off our scene, of the same age group that can say they have a weekend like that very often,

And if the only problem was a few duplicated records, you could be thought of as spoilt, the place is big enough with enough thing going on to amuse yourself for those three dreadful minuets while a record repeats. tongue.gif

Edited by soulie64
Guest outonthefloor

There are not a lot of people, off our scene, of the same age group that can say they have a weekend like that very often,

And if the only problem was a few duplicated records, you could be thought of as spoilt, the place is big enough with enough thing going on to amuse yourself for those three dreadful minuets while a record repeats. :rolleyes:

Guest Bearsy

And if the only problem was a few duplicated records, you could be thought of as spoilt, the place is big enough with enough thing going on to amuse yourself for those three dreadful minuets while a record repeats. :ohmy:

Hi Anton,

Good to see you saturday.

Could not agree more. I know people half my age who stay in on a Sat night and watch ant n Dec!!!

Well said

See you soon

Helen

XXXXX

What the **** is wrong with ant & dec :rolleyes:

A very enjoyable evening for all our crew. My 24yr old niece came with us (first time at a northern allnighter for her)

and although she's heard some of the music before she had never been to a northern allnighter before, and.. 'YES' she's up for going to another..bless her!! She had a few dances with me (her old aunt..ha..) but she spent the rest of the night sat on the steps near stage just watching the dancers.. especially 'our' Vernon.. (he's still got the moves hasn't he?)

So looking forward to Winsford where hopefully she will be with us.

Karen.

Edited by dospan

Would just like to post this up on behalf on my Partner Rob...who has discovered this scene through myself and just wants to say how much he enjoyed Kings Hall last Saturday:

Just like to THANK YOU to everybody for a memorable night...being fairly new on the scene a lot of the records which others find overplayed...are quite new to me......Dave and Annie....Thank you both.....lovely to see Dennis...Faith and Mickey...and some of the North Wales crowd.....great to see Mark....RobP...and others from Northants...bunch of Chaves...didnt recognise me all dolled up in me flute... biggrin.gif but most of all ...the Djs...I know those who are more knowledgeable about this music has said about the duplication of records...but i loved every minute of it,.....everytime i get out and about to a soul venue....i feel more and more comfortable....i have never met so many friendly people and the music...well not only do l love all the classics, i also really dig RnB side of it...i was actually into this style for years and not really knowing what it was,...finally all i would like to say is i really do enjoy Kings Hall...and what a great night i had with good people around me...(Thanks Idell).....Rob

A very enjoyable evening for all our crew. My 24yr old niece came with us (first time at a northern allnighter for her)

and although she's heard some of the music before she had never been to a northern allnighter before, and.. 'YES' she's up for going to another..bless her!! She had a few dances with me (her old aunt..ha..) but she spent the rest of the night sat on the steps near stage just watching the dancers.. especially 'our' Vernon.. (he's still got the moves hasn't he?)

So looking forward to Winsford where hopefully she will be with us.

Karen. https://www.soul-source.co.uk/style_i...-emo-button.png

Emoticons

Ooh yes Vern stilll deffo got the moves....Delxx

Hiya Mike - you're right, The Kingsmen "Hey Joe" was in there as well. How could I forget??

Neil

The Kingsmen?... would I know this tune?.. can't place it but it sounds familiar..

Well I didn't have an enjoyable saturday night because i DIDN'T get to stoke. :rolleyes:

My chauffeur got ill at the last minute - after I'd driven on friday too!.

Gutted!..waiting for the next one..

Jayne.x

Guest Tim aka Bob

Great spot :)

REALLY ENJOYED

Delayed settin off untill the last minute (wot with the weather!!) had a crackin run up, motorways clear. Arrived in Stoke at 8ish, quick pint (or 2) next door, tickets sourced, plenty chin-wagging, Drifters drifting in. Then we were away!!

More refreshment required as we sussed the nite out. Couldn't hold back from hitting the floor any longer. Yes duplicates and yes some played out oldies. But what a crackin nite!! Think it's great when the light filters in as dawn breaks...but could have done with another hour or so!!!

Absolutely fantastic nite!!! :unsure:

As usual.....Stoke delivered what it says on the box,....good old fashioned Northern soul.....Rob and myself really enjoyed ourselves....Thanks to Dave(Wulfie) and Annie for the lift back to their house and the very hot drinks.....luv my guest room BTW :P ......bit of a shame,we were delayed at Nuneaton for an hour and half on the way back to Northampton :D ....but hey we are back now.....for me...Stoke is a way of seeing those mates.... i really dont get a chance to catch up with...as well as having a Stonking good dance.....and that to me is what it is all about....Yes Dave...it was busier than normal in the main room....but we knew that when you couldnt park at the venue :huh: ......Delxxx

Del when is the next one ?

I might just try to get there myself

drag Gary along with me too

Just soo the kids can have the house to themselves for a chilli and poker nite!

Mand :(

Edited by Madmandy
  • 2 weeks later...

I cant fault this night at all. :thumbsup:

The dancefloor was packed all night, even if there were a few tunes played more than once, it didn't seem to matter to the vast majority of the people there.

As someone said, you get exactly what it says on the tin at the Kings Hall.

Cant wait for the next one.

Here, here, well said that man/woman, I'll be in October..............and I come from afar...............

:(:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Soulgroova

(A very enjoyable evening for all our crew. My 24yr old niece came with us (first time at a northern allnighter for her)

Karen.

Hi Karen...A friend reintroduced me to Northern soul about a year ago and I made it to my first allnighter at the Kings Hall last year in October and thought the music was great, saw some really good dancers. Everyone looked like they were enjoying the evening, the place was packed, I heard one song twice, but it did not matter to me cos all the music was fab..hoping to go to the allnighter at the Kings Hall in October...... :lol:

Jan