Pilsley Soul 21st July

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great night at Pilsley and far be it from me to over emphasise a point I must say, in all honesty, that John Pooles spot was absolutely top rate!

Thanks to all who made it such an ace night all round.yelclap.gif

Got to agree with the Missus here, Mr . Poole was brilliant , top notch, the sort of soul music I love to listen and dance to. Thanks to all who attended and thanks to our other dj Andy who did the warm up spot for us, cant wait till next month.

Mr Bridget

Guest krawen

Great night at Pilsley and far be it from me to over emphasise a point I must say, in all honesty, that John Pooles spot was absolutely top rate!

Thanks to all who made it such an ace night all round.yelclap.gif

Great night was had again by both Karen and I . She went for the record for the number of dances in one night and I went for the record for emptying bottles of LCL with Alan Johnson :yes: I think we just beat her.

Went home with a soggy bra again ( Karen not me ) both you and Barry played good across the board sets and John Poole was top notch as usual. I don't know the lad you had on early doors but credit to him for getting it going. Packed night yet again .

All the best

Steve B

Echo what's been said about JP spot, just about perfect for that room at that time. Stunning quality pulled out, lovin' Al Williams, must be one of the top sounds ever. I must have said to Kev H and Paul (companions from the Attic) at least 3 times "This would be in my all time top 20". Think it fair to say that it was a good job that John played such a good spot, he needed to following Chris. I thought Chris played a real solid spot (thanks for Del Rays Inc - obviously not everyone's cup-of-tea but so many vivid memories in my head still linked to that sound, and don't hear anywhere except Pilsley these days), top tunes from a good box Chris, well done.

Sorry we had to leave around 12.00, I got stick off my companions for that, but I was pushing child care to the limit. Sorry to miss Barries later spot..................never predictable Barrie.

Really enjoyed it, thanks, Dean

hi ,really enjoyed the nite again,all dj's played good sets thumbsup.gif ,thanks Barry for flipping over "Focused on you",,,cleared the floor but what a truly great sound,selling it??,,KEV. :lol:

Hi Kev

Thanks for your comments about Saturday nite, "Needless To Say" great tune by Bernard Williams, how much you offering, laugh.gif just checked on Manship he as not got one.

Come on u reds.

Barry

:wicked:

Hey up rednose, yep, i know what you mean, don't like empty dance floors, however I must add the BW is a great tune and brings back memories of the early days for me especially Focused on You. On the whole though i thought that the music on the night generaly hit the spot and a good night was had by all. :thumbsup:

Chris

Hey up rednose, yep, i know what you mean, don't like empty dance floors, however I must add the BW is a great tune and brings back memories of the early days for me especially Focused on You. On the whole though i thought that the music on the night generaly hit the spot and a good night was had by all. :thumbsup:

Chris

yes must agree another great pilsley nite, hopefully going to barrowby for the first

time this weekend looking forward to another great nite!!!

???? :thumbsup:

Hi John

Are you still smiling after your lot beat the super reds on Saturday.

Regarding "Needless To Say" by Bernard Williams, this is a great 2 sided record, the side I normally would play at Pilsley is "Focused On You" because that the one that goes down well there, "Needless To Say" is the side thats does it for me, and this is the side that gets more plays at lets say more progressive venues.

Once you have heard this a few times I'm sure you will get to like it, but more on playing tunes that kill the dance floor, it's always something no-one wants to do, however how do you get to listen to different tunes (unless you want the same old all the time) and find out if others like them.

If on on the first spot that is a good time I suppose but then again not many people are in at that time.

Many years ago at the Dungeon (I know back in time again) the DJ would have say half hour spot and if the crowd danced ok if they did'nt dance then would not play the tune again.

Having said that just because people don't dance to a certain tune does not mean they do not like to hear different stuff, going back to Bernard Williams on Saturday Alan (of Alan and Karen) thanked me for playing said tune as its one of his favorites.

Love to Carol and hope to see you on Saturday at Barrowby ( ps any requests)

Barry

Edited by BBB

Hi John

Are you still smiling after your lot beat the super reds on Saturday.

Regarding "Needless To Say" by Bernard Williams, this is a great 2 sided record, the side I normally would play at Pilsley is "Focused On You" because that the one that goes down well there, "Needless To Say" is the side thats does it for me, and this is the side that gets more plays at lets say more progressive venues.

Once you have heard this a few times I'm sure you will get to like it, but more on playing tunes that kill the dance floor, it's always something no-one wants to do, however how do you get to listen to different tunes (unless you want the same old all the time) and find out if others like them.

If on on the first spot that is a good time I suppose but then again not many people are in at that time.

Many years ago at the Dungeon (I know back in time again) the DJ would have say half hour spot and if the crowd danced ok if they did'nt dance then would not play the tune again.

Having said that just because people don't dance to a certain tune does not mean they do not like to hear different stuff, going back to Bernard Williams on Saturday Alan (of Alan and Karen) thanked me for playing said tune as its one of his favorites.

Love to Carol and hope to see you on Saturday at Barrowby ( ps any requests)

Barry

"more progressive venues"

I would say that that is exactly what Pilsley is, judging by the music played and that which has been played over the last couple of years; from DJ Genesis, Frank Popp etc to golden oldies. We are always looking to play and introduce new stuff and will continue to do so but without compromising the policy we have which is totally 'across the board'.

Edited by bridget

me neither,just making a point that BWilliams is underplayed :P

hi kev.as so many other records are.the reason records clear floors is not that they are not good tunes its the lack of knowledge of the punters.since the local scene kicked off again,say the last 10 or 12 years i think its quite astonishing that people dont know or refuse to accept quite basic tunes.i take it that most venues are "NORTHERN SOUL" based,saying that going to a venue not so long ago the likes of o jays-ill never forget you,fabulous jades-come on & live,minnie jones-shadow of a memory,gil blanding-rules etc etc kept a dance empty.i sometimes wonder.with regards to the b.williams its not a newie,a big tune years ago,one that most should know

hi kev.as so many other records are.the reason records clear floors is not that they are not good tunes its the lack of knowledge of the punters.since the local scene kicked off again,say the last 10 or 12 years i think its quite astonishing that people dont know or refuse to accept quite basic tunes.i take it that most venues are "NORTHERN SOUL" based,saying that going to a venue not so long ago the likes of o jays-ill never forget you,fabulous jades-come on & live,minnie jones-shadow of a memory,gil blanding-rules etc etc kept a dance empty.i sometimes wonder.with regards to the b.williams its not a newie,a big tune years ago,one that most should know

Even though you were responding to KevH I`m sure he won`t mind me butting in:

I would agree that there is a 'lack of knowledge on' behalf of a lot of the punters but even with the best will in the world you cannot make people want to listen to and like enough to dance to, some sounds. Thats their choice...personally I would rather go, as we did last night and listen to 3 1/2 hours of very under played tunes than stand in a 'top 500' venue, but that is my choice and as the wife of one of the Pilsley promoters we both know that if Chris played even 1/2 of the stuff that was played last night then the majority of the paying public who come along regularly to Pilsley wouldn't come again. A soul night should advertise itself for what it provides.. Totally across the board is what Pilsley is promoted as and I think that is what is provided. The BW tune was not the only record played on the night in question that didn`t exactly fill the floor.. but I know that Chris` intention is to plug away at the lesser known stuff until it becomes 'known stuff' and he`s been successful in this with more than a few... I know that people who not so long ago would say `whats this?' and stand off the dance floor now will dance to it.. Its just giving people the chance and opportunity. Some will, as you say, refuse to accept anything other than the tried and well tested top of the pops (!) and generally they will frequent the establishments that keep them entertained. Pilsley does not promte itself as somewhere like The Attic or Salutation.. when you go there you know what to expect. The point is that not all (Even though many would argue the point) have been around that long and aren't interested in anything they don't know, some are and at Pilsley the 'keeping a good mix' of old stuff, new (to a lot of peoples ears) and stuff that will guarantee a full dancefloor is the current ethos..They pay their money, they expect a good time!

Even though you were responding to KevH I`m sure he won`t mind me butting in:

I would agree that there is a 'lack of knowledge on' behalf of a lot of the punters but even with the best will in the world you cannot make people want to listen to and like enough to dance to, some sounds. Thats their choice...personally I would rather go, as we did last night and listen to 3 1/2 hours of very under played tunes than stand in a 'top 500' venue, but that is my choice and as the wife of one of the Pilsley promoters we both know that if Chris played even 1/2 of the stuff that was played last night then the majority of the paying public who come along regularly to Pilsley wouldn't come again. A soul night should advertise itself for what it provides.. Totally across the board is what Pilsley is promoted as and I think that is what is provided. The BW tune was not the only record played on the night in question that didn`t exactly fill the floor.. but I know that Chris` intention is to plug away at the lesser known stuff until it becomes 'known stuff' and he`s been successful in this with more than a few... I know that people who not so long ago would say `whats this?' and stand off the dance floor now will dance to it.. Its just giving people the chance and opportunity. Some will, as you say, refuse to accept anything other than the tried and well tested top of the pops (!) and generally they will frequent the establishments that keep them entertained. Pilsley does not promte itself as somewhere like The Attic or Salutation.. when you go there you know what to expect. The point is that not all (Even though many would argue the point) have been around that long and aren't interested in anything they don't know, some are and at Pilsley the 'keeping a good mix' of old stuff, new (to a lot of peoples ears) and stuff that will guarantee a full dancefloor is the current ethos..They pay their money, they expect a good time!

:huh: .didn't mean to start anything with reference to BW,was just pleased to hear it.All that iv'e acheived now is to push its price up ,hey BBB??? :P

:rolleyes: .didn't mean to start anything with reference to BW,was just pleased to hear it.All that iv'e acheived now is to push its price up ,hey BBB??? :D

Hi Kev

Now see what you have started laugh.gif sold the boot for £40 to Alan so what the original is going for these I don't know, anyway it's all irrelevent cause I'm not selling it, I think we got it right at Pilsley playing across the board music, as we do what do you think, by the way do you know a track by Aretha Franklin " Rock With Me" on Atlantic, just picked it up will play it next time your at Pilsley.

Still want the Magictones?

Barry